What's new

Shroom Hunting in the City?

Nikijad4210

Veteran
So what are the odds of finding decent shrooms in the city? Wolf and I plan to go shroom hunting tomorrow in a few specific areas in the city (out of sight from others) but we're not too sure about having very good luck. He's a veteran shroom hunter, and a survivalist, so I know he knows what to look for, picking the wrong thing won't be a problem.

I'm just curious as to whether or not it would be a waste of time, if we'd be likely to find anything decent or not.

This would be in the Tampa Bay region, by the way.

mrgrowmez

What kind of shrooms are you looking for Niki??
I wouldnt think your chances are too high but you never know and if Wolf knows what his doing then your sure to get something.........

Nikijad4210

Veteran
mrgrowmez said:
What kind of shrooms are you looking for Niki??
I wouldnt think your chances are too high but you never know and if Wolf knows what his doing then your sure to get something.........
The kind you explore your soul with :D

Wolf practically salivated when we discussed looking around for certain mind-altering shrooms.

I noticed while we were walking through a densely wooded area yesterday(shortcut in the area) he was eyeballing areas of denser underbrush, and outright said, "We're coming back to take a closer look" in referance to a few spots.

Lemon

What kind of places would you be looking (parks, etc?). I can't really picture finding a viable place to pick in a city.. but i suppose some places have large natural areas. Completely depends on the location i would think... but certainly worth a try. and hey, even if your not successful, id imagine it would still be an enjoyable time. gl :)

Nikijad4210

Veteran
We're going to be looking in the vacinity of lakes, heavily wooded areas, canals, preserves, etc.
Believe it or not, those really do exist within some cities, lol.

Nikijad4210

Veteran
even if your not successful, id imagine it would still be an enjoyable time.
Indeed it will, either way, I'll be wild harvesting medicinal plants of my own. I've got a handful of ideas of what kind of wildflowers & vegetation to look for, the trick is to find it.

Lemon

I'd say your odds are fairly good then if the climate in your area fits the bill (im not familiar with Tampa Bay). I live in a city that has a lot of natural areas as well (it's actually home of the queens royal botanical gardens and nature preserve... I live in an urban area where deer outnumber people!) and mushrooms are definately findable if you know what to look for.

G

Even with a Field Guide its difficult to find hallucinagenic mushrooms in the wild. Believe me Ive tried it before. Heres a good guide to finding outdoor shrooms...

http://forums.mycotopia.net/showthread.php?t=5429&highlight=outdoor+state

Im sure more info and mushroom identification could be found if you searched the site a little. But remember most of the hallucinagenic shrooms youll be searching for will most likely be near cows. Cow manure is a great substrate for shrooms to grow on and may be the only place to find them, especially at this time of year.
If you cant identify a specific mushroom then bruise the outside a little and if it displays blue buising then its a cubensis; which is what ya want. :D
Also humidity and temperature play a major role in when a shroom is ready. You generally want to pick shrooms after a few days of high humidity and 70+ temps. This is when the shrooms poke their heads above the surface.
Ive personally never had sucess field hunting but have had friends who have found ozs at a time. So I gave up the outdoor hunting and grew indoors which is easier IMHO.

P

PersonalSmoke

icmag.com is to weed as shroomery.org is to mushroom. Grow them and enjoy.

H

Hal

psilocybe cyanescens in Seattle city parks...November and December...growin in the wood chips that they manicure the bushes and trees with.

Last edited:

mob barley

Indophiliac said:
If you cant identify a specific mushroom then bruise the outside a little and if it displays blue buising then its a cubensis; which is what ya want. :D

Unfortunatly, I don't believe that's the case...my understanding is blue bruising indicates the presence of psilocybin. Now this is obviously what your looking for, but definitely doesn't mean it's cubensis. I'm also not positive that every shroom that bruises blue is edible and will make you trip....check out shroomery and be careful.

Last edited:

NserUame

mob barley said:
Unfortunatly, I don't believe that's the case...my understanding is blue bruising indicates the presence of psilocybin. Now this is obviously what your looking for, but definitely doesn't mean it's cubensis. I'm also not positive that every shroom that bruises blue is edible and will make you trip....check out shroomery and be careful.

Dead on. There are several mushroo varieties in America that bruise blue/purple and inevitably will turn you that color if you try and eat them. I'm not lecturing Niki, but everyone else if you don't have someone experienced with you don't bother. I've tripped countless times, and still don't feel safe going out searching for them, much safer to grow them.

Niki, my understanding is you live in Florida. I'm not sure how far you are from a farm, but that would be a better bet than the city. I've looked across meadows littered with the buggers, just remember to rinse them off first, unless you're into cow shit.

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
mob barley said:
yea, thats not the best advice there. for mushroom hunters who are looking for edible mushrooms, if it bruises blue, its poisonus...

P

PersonalSmoke

I'm pretty sure that's the spores are even legal in the US. I haven't grown mushies, yet, but I'd like to in the future.

G

You might want to find out if you would even be able to find any mushrooms in FL this time of year (the ones your after). Finding a farm is a good bet. I think Liberty Caps are pretty common. Growing them is the best tho, they grow like crazy and will produce alot more mushies then you could eat.

marx2k

Veteran
growing your own mushrooms is a lot easier than scouring your city for wild mushrooms. You have control over the quality and amount and once you have the technique for growing them down, it's easier than growing a houseplant on the windowsill.

bluebublelove

I tried posting earlier and was freshly toasted and happened to somehow exit before I posted....anyways....I live north of ya'll folks and have found that the best time to go pickin is middle of summer, end of summer/begin of fall and believe it or not, end of fall....honestly, the strongest psilocybin experiance I have ever had came from caps picked in the dead of a florida winter....granted, it'd not frozen that winter...but it was 40-60 every night...basically I have a friend who's family owns a number of cattle farms, one of which had been in use for over 50 years...this is where the winter caps came from....my buddy, an old wiseman of the fungus believes them to be a hardy and resiliant strain of the psilocybin cubensis....so anyways I ate shy of five grams of these dried winter caps, which were unusually meaty and honestly had the most life changing experiance of my life. ......... with my stoned ramble being said, I think you'll have best luck in and around tampa if you get on the interstate..like I-10 and cruise north till you see a field....(they are all over the side of the interstate) and just do a one person in the field one by the car, hit and split pickin.....or, map out your rural areas farming town and scour all the fields one night after a good warm steamy fungus poppin rain......people talk about "pickin em by the garbage bag full" well theyre not kidding and I'm here to back it up....we used to pick pounds of shrooms......even further south of yall outside of certain college towns and other relatively populated areas I have hit pure gold......I'd say twenty shrooms per cow in some of these fields..............Safe and Happy Picking!!!! thanks for reminding me why I love the hot, sticky, sweaty, flesh of the gods fungus south!

mrgrowmez

Nikijad4210 said:
The kind you explore your soul with :D

Wolf practically salivated when we discussed looking around for certain mind-altering shrooms.
QUOTE]

Yeah like everyone else said your best bet is in fields where there are cows, thats where I've always had success and if conditions are right you end up with ALOT more then you can use.....
check out the wood chip in city parks..we've got ilberty caps once from wood chip gardens but it was more luck then anything else we weren't even looking just chilling out and smoking in the park and one of us found em when we went into the garden to pee.......lol

if there are lots of toadstools and other shrooms around then you know conditions are favourable
also i can back up the advice about not eating everything that turns blue when bruised thats a bad idea......

good luck to both of you....

Latest posts

Latest posts