What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary Showdown: Pink Kush vs Ultimate Pink Kush

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Thanks dots.

To be fair, here is a picture of the Ultimate. No pink. No fox-tailing.

day-136-upk2.jpg

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I finally chopped at Day 138 - a couple of days before Christmas. I hung them whole in the tent and reduced the airflow to a timed trickle. 15 minutes per hour of my small intake fan only. With some passive help (a pail with water) I have kept the humidity 55% to 45%. I did a preliminary trim today and removed the fan leaves to get some air into the plant. It still has a few days to go.

The Barney's won the yield contest hands down. While the proof will come once they get jarred, it's colas are larger and there are more of them so . . .

I will update this thread with a weight report. And later with a smoke report. :rasta:

photo2097978.jpg

Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
The grow is jarred. With the help of my lighted magnifier, I can now see what I am doing – which is both good and bad. My trim job looks a lot better, but I also find I spend too much time trimming the teeny buds – which of course look nice and large with the magnification. Anyways, after many hours of labour, it is done.

You really learn the nature of a bud when you are trimming a pile of them. The two PK versions truly showed their differences. Different smells, colour and bud and leaf attachment. The Barney’s buds were bigger and much airier – not fluffy - but very light. And they were nicely shaded with some purplish calyxes. The trimming was medium difficult with the pin leaves reasonably easy to snip. The Ultimate was a pain. Smallish tight solid buds that forced you to search for the leaf bottom – often by digging into the bud. The Barney’s was more resinous and jammed the clippers more often but the Ultimate didn’t disappoint but it was definitely an easier cleanup.

I am seriously lousy identifying smells . . . and since they are still gassing off, it is still too early to tell anyway. Certainly more petroleum with the Ultimate and sweeter with the Barney’s.

And the yield? I am disappointed overall. But then, I had made the decision to use 3 gallon pots rather than 5, so I think that that had a lot of bearing. Rather than the 4 foot beasts I am used to with photos in my setup, they topped out 10 inches shorter, with less spread and bulk. So 261 grams was the tent total with the Barney’s clocking in at 154 and the Ultimate at 107. This is down from my previous Barney’s PK grow which averaged 175 grams per plant, so root mass does make a big difference with everything else roughly equal. Of course, if I really wanted to maximize the tent yield, a sog would win with lots of plants, but I am a cheap bastard with seeds. Yeah, I could run it from clones but I don’t want to take the time. And really . . . I don’t need a huge volume of product anyway. I will grow all photos in 5 gallon pots in the future.

The smoke report will have to wait my requisite 3 months. So . . . after a week or so of burping, they will go for a sleep for now.

For anyone still reading this . . . I promised you a boring grow. I think that I delivered.

photo2098681.jpg

Last edited:

Not boring.. interesting write up to-be..

Bigger plants = bigger buds = better quality imo.

Nice looking barneys bud:joint:

Lao Tzu

I have a collection of work using Charles's Pink Kush.
I also hold "the" BC Pink Kush cut which is the sought after cut here in BC, Canada.
Right now we have the Pink Kush BX2 which uses the King John as the initial outcross. Seeds made by a long time sunshine coast farmer who runs rooms for some of the top producers here. He used to post here but has dropped off the planet ......

be interesting to see what you find. Personally I won't touch barney's stuff. They like to put their names and TM trademarks on strains that arent their work to begin with. But I shouldn't throw stones.
One more BX to the mother clone with the plants I have now and I will release some S1 somewhere out there in the cannabyss....
Not gonna S1 the mother cut though.... that would probably piss a few people off around these parts hehehe

How is your bx coming along?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Click image for larger version  Name:	b-nug.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.1 KB ID:	18103184

Click image for larger version  Name:	s-nug.jpg Views:	0 Size:	122.8 KB ID:	18103185

I promised you a showdown, so I guess I should deliver the results. The harvest has been curing nicely and it is just hitting the 3 month cure mark in a day or two. So I started sampling. I tried some one-hitter pipe smokes and also some vaping at 183C with my Mighty.

My ‘standard’ has always been the Barney’s PK. Earthy, musky rotting forest floor taste and smell. This batch did not disappoint and their PK seems very stable from seed to seed. A nice heavy hitter that will couch-lock you if you let it. Great for pain and simply getting really high.

The Ultimate was a surprise. It has that PK earth in the background, but in the foreground is a wonderful smell of a sweetish incense of musky vanilla with a minor citrus note. I really suck at smell descriptions btw. The general comment from several PK fans: “That’s what pink kush smells like. Or it should.” Everyone was content with the Barney’s until they got a good smell and taste of the Ultimate.

Both PKs are smooth full-flavoured smokes. Both are strong and I can’t really discern any difference in strength, but my tolerance is pretty high so my body is not a great judge. Anyways, either one is a worthy (and easy) grow, but if I had to choose, I would buy the Ultimate. While it was lighter in yield - in my grow anyway - the extra smell and taste bonus it provides make it the winner.

Charles-scott ​​​​​​​ fwiw . . .

Charles-scott

Veteran
Hey so sorry for the delay, the ultimate pink is a s1 of a very inbred Pink kush line that dates back 20 years as of 2023 .
Many have said that Barney’s is not pure pink it’s a OG cross , we just stabilized the King bx3 pinks mom haha took we long enough.
Fox tails are not a real pink Characteristic king is a Pakistani hash plant not much fox tailing.
So we will be releasing a 20 year release pink kush reborn !
It will certainly yield better as many generations of inbreeding was necessary in the absence of the king .
I appreciate your effort hit me up when I release the Re-birth line and I will let you run it again .
www.Scottfamily.farm
King bx3 outdoor in pic pink mom

Attachments

• 8E84B1FF-D861-4CE4-A618-225C89F03742.jpeg
    8E84B1FF-D861-4CE4-A618-225C89F03742.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Excellent news @Charles-scott . I will take you up on that offer. ;)

I love the pic of your Jamaican fields. It is good to know that someone still believes in real breeding with real selection techniques. That King BX3 looks amazing!

Charles-scott

Veteran
The king Bx3 project took 20 years haha well its here thanks to some good friends who kept seeds and a clone i gave them years ago when I went to work in Mexico and gave the lines back to me plus 1 bx to the clone as there 27-year-old clone was losing its lifeblood too.

I am working on a 25-year line of collections now, So many have used my name to commit fraud its nice to be back, I was tied up in corporate Cannabis jobs until 9 months ago.
I was able the leave with my sanity and 8 years' worth of genetc work and research that outside of a couple strains at a few Lp's has never been able to be shared
I will be posting lots of pictures of everything I am doing and I am back in Jamaica on basically the same land .
I have some outstanding friends who I am working with on the company old pink is one important aspect in the near future of the company .
I am working fully organically using mostly compost tea based feeding and even companion plants as the major source of IPM.
it was nice to see this post I am sorry it took me so long to find it .

www.scottfamily.farm

Charles

Last edited:

Charles-scott

Veteran
Thanks dots.

To be fair, here is a picture of the Ultimate. No pink. No fox-tailing.

View attachment 18123681
Pink kush never had Pink Colour it did have pink pistols until it was inbred on 20% of the plants if anyone saw my post with Pink flowers it was the Granddaddy Pink an f-1 between Pink Kush and GDP , Fox tailing was and is not something found in a true pink either the Charles kush x KIng x king or the Mk ultra x King x King. So while these might be novel they are not something any pure Pink has produced. pic is grandaddy pink

Attachments

• 29982884_923628004464787_5584023551827392391_o.jpg
    29982884_923628004464787_5584023551827392391_o.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 65

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I was tied up in corporate Cannabis jobs until 9 months ago.
I was able the leave with my sanity

Well THAT is amazing. Congratulations! :cool:

As you no doubt experienced, the bottom line is all that is understood in corporate cannabis. From my vantage point as a consumer, four years in and we are finally starting to see craft cannabis and craft products pop up regionally, so there is hope that superior genetics will carve a nice niche that can be profitable for the little guy.

Keep up the good work. I signed up for your newsletter so I can stay informed.

Last edited:

Axel’sMEDgrow

Reviving that one from the grave with a picture of some ultimate pink kush I recently harvested. Too early to comment on the aroma except that it does have character! Super intense physical and euphoric high (haven’t felt that in a while, she’ll be a very good pain killer).
I think I’ll fill a 3x3 with her clones soon.

Lots of purple on that test bud, almost pink! (I know Charles said no pink colored bud on pink kush so I guess that’s as close as it can get).

IMG_1674.jpeg

5gr on that big grinder:
IMG_1681.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts