What's new

Should the Authorities Be Able to Access Your iPhone?

Should the Authorities Be Able to Access Your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Fuck da Police

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robrites

San Bernardino County Calls the FBI Liars Over Terrorist's iCloud Account

San Bernardino County Calls the FBI Liars Over Terrorist's iCloud Account

Late last night a Twitter account associated with San Bernardino County said that it worked under the direction of the FBI to reset Syed Farook’s iCloud password. Why does that matter? Because it would make the FBI liars.

As you probably know by now, the FBI has demanded that Apple break into the San Bernardino terrorist’s iPhone. Apple has refused, insisting that doing so would set a terrible precedent. But both the FBI and Apple are currently waging a fierce PR battle over one of the possible ways that information from the phone could’ve been retrieved in the early stages of the investigation: Hacking Farook’s iCloud password and causing his phone to push information to the cloud remotely.

In a filing yesterday the FBI claimed that the owner of the phone, San Bernardino County, had been the one who bungled the auto-backup of the phone to iCloud. San Bernardino County was Farook’s employer because he worked for the local Department of Health. The County technically owned the phone (emphasis mine):

[...] to attempt an auto-backup of the SUBJECT DEVICE with the related iCloud account (which would not work in this case because neither the owner nor the government knew the password to the iCloud account, and the owner, in an attempt to gain access to some information in the hours after the attack, was able to reset the password remotely, but that had the effect of eliminating the possibility of an auto-backup) [...]

But San Bernardino County’s Twitter account (which remains unverified but appears authentic) now claims that it was working under the FBI’s orders. Specifically the tweet said, “The County was working cooperatively with the FBI when it reset the iCloud password at the FBI’s request.”
picture.php

gizmodo.com

St. Phatty

There are times when I type in a text box, on a website - then decide not to post.

If you type something in a text box, does it "go across the internet" before you post ?

Facebook has some very interesting INTRUSIVE software. I don't want a popup window on my desktop every time someone posts on Facebook.

R

Robrites

There are times when I type in a text box, on a website - then decide not to post.

If you type something in a text box, does it "go across the internet" before you post ?

Facebook has some very interesting INTRUSIVE software. I don't want a popup window on my desktop every time someone posts on Facebook.
I don't think so but have nothing to back that up. (and I don't use facebook)

St. Fatty, depends, if youre compromised yes every keystroke gets recorded.

If you read the El Chapo interview with Penn they indicated they use gmail drafts with throwaway accounts never sending anything as one method.

Bob-Smith

Yes, I read somewhere, some time ago that Facebook, and I'd assume everybody else records every keystroke you put into their forms (real easy BTW).

the gnome

Veteran
I think the whole thing is just a smoke and mirrors, misdirection game. There were already hundreds of legal cases pending about this already. So it begs the question, why this one?

starting looking into this and your right.
why are they pushing so hard on this case??
the *terrorists* personal phone was tossed and common sense sez that's where all the info would be.
this is his work phone they want access to,
so there's probably nadda on there and again... why this one?
the main reason imo is if they can get apple to do it this
it will set a legal precedent in the govts favor to get access
with minimal hassle, and the companies and people are fuct in the privacy dept

R

Robrites

The NSA has every exact ****-hair of information on that phone. Why don't they just get it from them?

shithawk420

Veteran
I hope the person that voted yes was just joshing.I would hope nobody here could think this is actually a good thing

R

Robrites

Apple vs. FBI: Protests planned across the nation over phone privacy

Apple vs. FBI: Protests planned across the nation over phone privacy

Amid the tense standoff between the FBI and Apple, protests are planned across the nation Tuesday supporting the tech giant's refusal to unlock the San Bernardino gunman’s iPhone.

The protest is being organized by a group called Fight for the Future, which has organized demonstrations on tech issues in the past.

According to the group, protests will take place in San Francisco, Apple's Silicon Valley headquarters, Los Angeles and FBI headquarters in Washington, among other places. The group said backers will carry banners saying “FBI: Don’t Break Our Phones” and “Secure Phones Save Lives.”

A new Pew poll released showed 51% of respondents supported the FBI's effort to force Apple to help in the terror probe.

On Monday, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook sent a letter to Apple employees saying: "The case is about much more than a single phone or a single investigation. At stake is the data security of hundreds of millions of law-abiding people, and setting a dangerous precedent that threatens everyone’s civil liberties.”
LATimes.com

RockyMountainHy

I think, when someone declares war on civilians, innocents and women and children, they give up any right to privacy or protection.

They are rabid dogs that need to be eliminated.

Using public airways and services to harm the public - and expect protection too?
Can't back that as an inalienable right.

Industry and big business is also putting their own customers at risk because of the devastation the perpetrators conspire to commit. I'd like to think industry and big business has a higher level of responsibility to that public that supports them than the groups seeking to harm both them and the general public.

From mass shooters to ISIS - they need no protections - it is the general public that has an expectation of safety.

legal, law biding citizens should have expectations of privacy - but also be aware those same forces that are begging for protection now, will use that against others in the future. Do you really want to risk yourself or family by offering any protections to murderers?

just sayin,,,,,,

R

Robrites

Rallies Take Place in Over 50 US Cities to Support Apple in FBI Case

Rallies Take Place in Over 50 US Cities to Support Apple in FBI Case

Privacy campaigners held organized rallies across the US yesterday to protest the FBI's demands that Apple unlock the iPhone at the center of its San Bernardino shooter investigation.

Following on from limited protests in California last week, rallies extended from Albuquerque to Washington DC to support Apple's insistence that complying with the bureau's demands risked compromising the security of millions of users' data.
picture.php

Large crowds are reported to have gathered in front of Apple Stores in Boston, Portland, Reno, Seattle and Los Angeles, with protestors wearing T-shirts and brandishing signs with slogans such as "Don't break our phones". One rally at San Francisco's downtown store – the site of last week's protests – drew around 40 protestors and about 20 members of the press, beginning late afternoon and continuing into the evening.

"We're concerned that if Apple undermines its security in response to the FBI's request it will set a very dangerous precedent that could be used in any number of cases going forward, both by the US government and by international governments, including authoritarian regimes that might seek to access our information," Rainey Reitman of the Electronic Frontier Foundation told Cult of Mac.

"We're also worried that that key, once it's created, could be a honeypot for hackers that might want to seek access to information or could be misused in many diverse ways. We don't think that it's appropriate that the government order a tech company to undermine its own security in any way."

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
ok ... folks... icmag is NOT a political forum... as a international project ...
WE avoid casting opinions or influences over political issues... American, and or otherwise...
In all fairness we will not condone political influence or it's wicked web...

for this we choose NOT to allow threads of this nature ...
it's just not a topic for a message board of our focus...

these topics run reckless in mainstream media... NOT @ ICMAG ...

CLOSED ... !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.