What's new

Should the Authorities Be Able to Access Your iPhone?

Should the Authorities Be Able to Access Your iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • No

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Fuck da Police

Votes: 31 59.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robrites

WASHINGTON — As a legal matter, the showdown between the Obama administration and Apple touched off Tuesday by the ruling of a federal magistrate judge in California turns on an 18th century law. More practically, though, it boils down to this question: Should you be able to lock your phone so securely that even the F.B.I. cannot open it?
The Obama administration and police officers around the country say no, and their precedent is the past. Homes and cars do not have unbreakable locks. You cannot buy an uncrackable safe. And terrorists and child molesters should not be able to buy a hand-held computer that keeps its secrets forever.
Apple, backed by technologists and civil libertarians, says yes. People live their lives electronically; their phones are a record of loves and fantasies, illnesses and losses. Apple built its recent iPhones to keep that data private and says nothing less than the future of privacy is at stake in this fight.
The Justice Department’s success in obtaining a court order demanding that Apple help write software to disable those defenses was a significant victory for the Obama administration. It relied on the All Writs Act, a law that can trace its origins to the first Congress in 1789. In short, it says courts can require that people do things to comply with their orders.
For months, the Justice Department and Apple have been trading heated rhetoric and lurching toward this very confrontation, only to back away. By the end of last year, it seemed that Apple and other technology companies had won the public relations battle.
The attacks in San Bernardino, Calif., in December, however, changed the government’s calculation. Syed Rizwan Farook, one of the two people suspected of killing 14 people, left behind an iPhone 5c — a locked one. The F.B.I. has not been able to get access to any data on it.
For the administration, it was perhaps the perfect test case, one that put Apple on the side of keeping secrets for a terrorist.
Mr. Farook’s phone is protected by a password that Apple says it does not keep. It is encrypted with an algorithm the company says it cannot break. The F.B.I. wants to write a computer program to send the phone an unlimited combination of passwords until it finds one that works.
But Apple built its phones to protect against that tactic. Each wrong guess causes a short delay, which would significantly slow the F.B.I.’s effort. After too many incorrect guesses, the phone will automatically erase its memory.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/us/politics/whether-phones-should-lock-out-the-fbi.html

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Research shows one out of three iPhone owners is as gay as the other two.

I can't wait to replace this freebie junk. Might have lasted longer in my possession if I had jailbroken it.

Levitationofme

whats next our Brain?

whats next our Brain?

We need a hard and fast line not to be crossed. Whats next, truth drugs if we have knowledge Police need?

My electronic storage should be as private as my mind:woohoo:

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Sounds like a good show that the gov't in co-op with Apple is putting on. There is no way in hell, Apple did not put in some sort of back-door to get into their devices(that's right THEIR DEVICE, you never really own shit, read the fine print).

On another note, you really think the people at the NSA can't get into a locked phone? They can find people who use "anonymous" web servers, and have devices that can mimic cell towers to intercept calls and texts. But can't break into a phone. Sounds like a good story to pitch, to get people to keep more private info on phone's, so they have access to it. The whole supreme court thing is just smoke and mirrors, for the rest of the herd to follow.

DTOG is right. It's a facade. They have all access to every device. Just look at any of the documents released by Snowden. They're fighting for control over semantics.

In a perfect world WE would own and control our own data but thats basically the opposite of reality.

In 2007 Apple got caught when ALL of their iphones were taking pictures periodically (was it 5, 10 seconds, who remembers?) and uploading them to their servers. This whole big data movement is about USING YOU for billions in profits and power making it appear that in doing so it's cool, hip, the thing to do...fuck these people who think they can divert a channel of humanity into big data...big data is NOT the soul

What's fucked up is it's set up so that by any sort of participation in these technologies (and not, this runs deep) you are just as complicit in handing it right over to them...it's almost a paradox in that it's completely shrouded in propaganda and ignorance. And they're loving every minute of it while this goes on unknown, uncared by the general populace. It's sick.

Sheep dog, been nippin at your heels all day, sheep dog

igrowone

Veteran
Sounds like a good show that the gov't in co-op with Apple is putting on. There is no way in hell, Apple did not put in some sort of back-door to get into their devices(that's right THEIR DEVICE, you never really own shit, read the fine print).

On another note, you really think the people at the NSA can't get into a locked phone? They can find people who use "anonymous" web servers, and have devices that can mimic cell towers to intercept calls and texts. But can't break into a phone. Sounds like a good story to pitch, to get people to keep more private info on phone's, so they have access to it. The whole supreme court thing is just smoke and mirrors, for the rest of the herd to follow.

this is the heart of the matter
there is an incentive for Apple to make unbreakable phone encryption
if it's breakable, where's the value?
the encryption algorithms do seem to be unbreakable, but that's obviously hard to prove
those who don't believe in uncrackable encryption, well, i can understand that

The major forms of encryption used today have all been shown to be cracked.

Apple touting this is a pr move as they work to monopolize big data further. They no longer want to share it looks like. Let me give you an example.

There are programs FBI agents can use on their laptops to look at every single apple device user in the world. Down to being able to predict their thoughts as they type. This spans far bigger than Apple but they're playing proxy politics here just like they all have been the whole time.

I'll believe in encryption when its quantum...but even then...look who gets there first...

igrowone

Veteran
The major forms of encryption used today have all been shown to be cracked.

that is incorrect, and common sense explanation
sensitive business data is routinely encrypted
if the encryption was cracked, there would be no value in doing so
it would be a world of 'secure' wires, which would impair business activity

igrowone

Veteran
You can put a layer over it but that doesnt mean the feds arent now cracking it or will be able to soon/eventually. Details from 2014...old now...

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/28/...ndards-the-nsa-cant-crack-pgp-tor-otr-snowden

They wiped out truecrypt fast.

unless you can demonstrate the decryption technique, it's a maybe, not a fact
the nsa was the big fish years ago, times changed
many more mathematicians now in this field outside of nsa
though no minds will be changed by this, it's a religion that nsa can read everything

I see what you are saying. I read about this stuff because its fascinating. I like looking at the code. Granted, I'm no expert: In theory yes if you completely make up your keys and its transferred physically it would be very hard but not impossible to crack if you could hack a persons device and subliminally get them to respond to incredibly fast flashes of symbols... have you heard of this? They've been shown to get passwords this way. There is always a way. Pgp might be great but they are actively seeking ways to crack it if it hasnt already been done. Thats not religion thats big business...and its a civil rights violation with how they go about doing it.

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
I don't think it's about the ability to un-encrypt.

I don't think it's about the ability to un-encrypt.

They only have 10 tries to crack the 4 digit code...

Before it is erased completely. (If they have the raw data they will use NSA supercomputers to crack the encryption)

They need Apple Security Certificate to bypass the secure 4 digit code (or to make any change to the phone). If you have that certificate you could remotely hack any and all iPhones.

Peace :party:

igrowone

Veteran
I see what you are saying. I read about this stuff because its fascinating. I like looking at the code. Granted, I'm no expert: In theory yes if you completely make up your keys and its transferred physically it would be very hard but not impossible to crack if you could hack a persons device and subliminally get them to respond to incredibly fast flashes of symbols... have you heard of this? They've been shown to get passwords this way. There is always a way. Pgp might be great but they are actively seeking ways to crack it if it hasnt already been done. Thats not religion thats big business...and its a civil rights violation with how they go about doing it.

now we are in synch, that is the gist of it
nsa is very good at hacking, this is where they break security
kind of a fine point, if you've been compromised it doesn't matter much how they did it

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FTP!!!

Mofos are NOT entitled to know what I know just because I know it.

Gotta have a warrant for a wiretap!
Well then... that's a limited function of todays devices/hand held computers.
It only makes sense to force law enforcement to get a warrant for the remainder of my possesions & affects. Especially being that these phones trace every single step you make wile having it on your person.

It's much easier for investigators to STEAL your phone that to get a warrant!

FTP!!!

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I think without question that they will be permitted access. (Not that they should be).

I remember shortly after cell phones started becoming mainstream — before ‘smart’ phones even — and hearing and/or reading about how your phone could be used to track your movements. Again, even before the now commonplace GPS feature...

Just another one of the reasons that I don’t even own a cell phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.