What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

M

Mountain

Definitely was getting overbought
I wanted to see just another day or two overbought and a little pop but played this a bit too conservative. Going into the weekend I saw nothing but downside potential. That's a potentially ugly start to the downside in that chart...earlier in the day leading issues were holding up then volume accelerated into the close and then they took hits with the general market.

I was wondering on Friday with AAPL's drop if it was the canary in the coal mine.

Or could just keep on going up like it's been. An unstoppable train. We'll see.
Fun to speculate. This day seems a bit different especially combined with global issues.

M

Mountain

Yeah today was different...from IBD...
Eighteen IBD 50 stocks attracted volume at least 40% greater than usual, and all 18 fell. This represented a change. On the Feb. 9 distribution day, action among leaders leaned toward the upside. On the Feb. 15 distribution day, big-volume movers on the IBD 50 were scarce and almost evenly split among losers and gainers. Tuesday's selling also slammed some longtime leaders.

Apple (AAPL) gapped down 3% in heavy volume, finding support at its 50-day moving average. Support at the 50-day line can be seen as positive, but a fast descent in heavy volume is a negative sign. Apple began the day with an Accumulation/Distribution Rating of C-. (Mountain - AAPL's A/D ended up a D-...yuch!).

Priceline.com (PCLN) gapped down 3% in volume 43% faster than usual. Priceline too appeared to find support at the 50-day line. The company reports quarterly results after Wednesday's close. Since the Sept. 1 follow-through, neither Apple nor Priceline has closed below its 50-day line even once. So this perch just above the line could provide a significant test.
DE, POT and AGU dropped badly and the list goes on and on. SINA went sour through it's 50 on volume and BIDU is gonna get creamed in a down turning market especially when...
China's top Internet search engine, fell 5% to 120.28 after China's main state-run news agency launched its own search site.
Bidu's chart looks a lot like NFLX but think NFLX has more fundamental problems.

Sector leaders came under assault Tuesday
From IBD last Friday...
Stocks curbed an afternoon slide Friday and reversed course to finish up for the day. The bulls have made a habit recently of slapping down any negative move before it goes too far. Once again, the bulls prevailed Friday, but this time the leaders looked a little less confident.
I was watching NFLX for topping action as it's very mature in it's chart recently coming out of a late stage base and the move to streaming makes them more vulnerable. NFLX has probably seen it's high at least for a long time to come...
The e-tail giant will offer free, unlimited streaming — mostly of older movies and TV shows — to Amazon (AMZN) Prime members, who pay $79 annually for free 2-day shipping. That expands its fight vs. Netflix (NFLX). Amazon already has an a la carte online video service. Amazon shares fell 3%. Netflix sank 6%

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Who do ya'll think will buy Blockbuster?

Netflix is the only candidate I can think of, and they really don't need it so I don't see why they would spend the money. Blockbuster might get hung out to dry.

M

Mountain

Netflix is the only candidate I can think of, and they really don't need it so I don't see why they would spend the money. Blockbuster might get hung out to dry.
Only companies I can think of are those with no or little exposure to video stuff or someone already in that area but who's very weak, especially in the online arena, and would have to be someone interested in streaming as the brick and mortar rental business is dead or dying. I don't see that Netflix has any need whatsoever to even think about it and would have to be someone that could incorporate the Blockbuster name/image without confusion. NFLX is already fending off companies in streaming video and that area will only become more competitive.

The Blockbuster name is worth something but at $.15 a share and a pink sheet company the market is saying it's not worth much and if there was any significant value some big player would have scooped them up already.

Did anyone buy Linens 'n Things or Circuit City? L&T reinvented itself as an online retailer. Seems only thing left for Blockbuster is online streaming only or kiosks like Redbox. Isn't Redbox part of Coinstar now or was it always that way?

Uhhhh...upon further research...http://seekingalpha.com/article/254088-who-should-buy-blockbuster

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Blockbusters At .15 a share and it's for sale still.... sounds like its worth the risk...Lose a few bucks or make a hugh gain when it gets sold.( I say this because I'm up alot already. ) I looked at the graph just now.Umm I've seen other ones better.

Some one cover their Shorts !!! in Blockbuster lol

ALK seems a good short with gas going higher and it could go back to $20.00 again.I followed it in 2008..wow big gains since then.

Best News I've heard about them is that they use Propellers instead of jet engines and save and use less gas.

A very nice stock I like,been watching is UGI..guess I'll go add it someplace.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran

Well , you could risk a little dough ...Blockbuster selling off assets in the bricks n mortar opps migh be good for something<g

Netfix NFLX down again on downgrade as Amazon AMZN announced earlier in the week its entering the video streaming space & stock was "priced to perfection"
http://blogs.barrons.com/techtrader...-longer-lone-content-bidder/?mod=yahoobarrons

Internet stocks & News
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&...+bidu+china+crm+cnet+driv+ebay+expe+nflx+pcln

NTFX was getting wayy overbought was looking like an easy short up there , should get a little bounce in here off the 50rsi then the dec lower top of $210 & 50ma @ $198
nflx.png

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thousands protesting high food prices and corruption in India now too. Wonder how the market reacts to that?

zenoonez

Veteran
Crazy bulls in the energy sector today. Trying to find an entry point rather than a pause in the fall like yesterday. Lol. Good luck all. Spastic, haven't seen any news on India yet today and have been glued to bloomberg.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thousands in Delhi protest rising prices, corruption Market Watch
MUMBAI (MarketWatch) — Tens of thousands of protesters marched to the Indian Parliament in New Delhi to denounce rising prices and corruption as hurting the poor and working classes, according to news reports Wednesday.

Nearly 2,000 policemen were deployed in central Delhi to keep control of the demonstration, a police spokesman told Agence France Presse.

The protests were led by the Centre of Indian Trade Unions, which joined with other unions to put pressure on the government ahead of the announcement of the coming fiscal-year budget on Feb. 28.

Both Prime Minister Mahmoman Singh and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee recently said inflation is a “serious threat” to India’s economic growth.

Repeat after me and Bernanke. "There is not enough inflation."

zenoonez

Veteran
Well bears are pushing energy stocks down. Anyone have any info on gbr to explain why it is dropping like a rock or is this simply response to oil nearing 100 a barrel? Spastic thanks for the link. Interesting. Just wait until we see food riots in mexico. 80% crop loss is a bitch for an export economy.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Well bears are pushing energy stocks down. Anyone have any info on gbr to explain why it is dropping like a rock or is this simply response to oil nearing 100 a barrel? Spastic thanks for the link. Interesting. Just wait until we see food riots in mexico. 80% crop loss is a bitch for an export economy.

GBR ...no comment from the company , something in recent filing ?
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-Concept-Energy-Inc-Issues-bw-2450824957.html?x=0&.v=1

not familiar with this one...oh it had this parabolic pop just recently to $10 ,
that was not sustainable
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GBR&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p14481513634

zenoonez

Veteran
Found the same thing. No idea, looking for a sustained move from the bottom, not happening yet. Trying to watch energy stocks because that seems to be where the volume is. ROYL is up up and away at 47% at the moment. No idea where the ceiling is but it is looking pretty strong.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Wow... I've heard oil may go to $220 by some analyst if 3 countries don't pump oil.One is shutting it's oil down for awhile.I just woke up so I didn't heard all of it.

The GLD...Yeaaaaaa 25MA is now at $132.39..I FEEL Giddy! $140 is possible or may even breach it.

ALK was a good short today.It's one of the strongest airlines stocks their is and I go after it...Yea,that's me.

MMG getting under $1.00 again..It seems when gold pulls back,MMG jumps,But if it get's under a dollar too long like 30 days,then it goes to pinkie sheets.Most stocks get a warning to get their stocks above a dollar or risk getting delisted.:tiphat:

M

Mountain

Trying to find an entry point rather than a pause in the fall like yesterday. Lol.
I try not to catch knives any more...yesterday they were selling everything.

Anyone have any info on gbr to explain why it is dropping like a rock
Basically agree with Madrus the move was not sustainable. I was looking at and going to mention PDO yesterday. Taking a break feels good though! Leaders getting pounded again today.

Just saw...
Nasdaq Pierces 50-Day Line As Stocks Crumble 01:39 PM ET - As stocks staggered lower in afternoon trade Wednesday, the Nasdaq sliced below its 50-day moving average for the first time since September.
...and higher volume than yesterday in the markets. A very bad sign all things considered.

Looks like EGY getting ready to pop out of a solid formation.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I'm actually up today...I want to get out of WLT and maybe get into Silver.

If WLT Breaks the 100MA...I'm outtie..save a few points.There will be 9 stocks left.8 is the minimum on a Fools portfolio.

I see it gained traction today.Still might hold on to it.It may do what GLD did when the 25MA went under the 100MA.

Hope this thing stays above 300 this time.

zenoonez

Veteran
Volume selling here today at the end of the day like yesterday. Haven't lost anything today and I am not jumping into down volume unless I see something reacting strongly.

M

Mountain

Volume selling here today at the end of the day like yesterday. Haven't lost anything today and I am not jumping into down volume unless I see something reacting strongly.
Live to trade another day...smart move...pick and choose your spots...volume accelerating into the close on back-to-back distribution days around a critical indicator...the 50 MA for the major markets...yikes!

Sooooo cool to watch a market top develop. Volatility to be part of the equation in the near term and am sure the VIX has jumped big time. No collapse...yet. Nice move by AAPL but the volume off the 50 does not even come close to the recent drop and when she goes south look out!!! I still say any pop/move up on a daily chart will be a great place to go short at this point.

zenoonez

Veteran
I think energy could be hot again tomorrow. Some of the energy stocks are closing up big and the ones who did give it all back... oh well I guess shooting stars are shooting stars eh? I guess people finally realized how undervalued silver was over the past month and a half. It was a bull today and should still have plenty of headroom to catch up to gold. Still undervalued. I think I am going to jump into something tomorrow morning if I can catch upward momentum and just watch to sell it quick before the shorters get their hooks into her. For those of you comfortable with shorting, I hope you ended up playing GBR, was up HUGE and fell like Goliath looks to close around -10. ROYL looks like it could pop off again in the morning and BDCO might even be strong in the morning if the shorters don't jump her. M good call on AAPL, I see her falling as well though not for any good reason other than SJ is sick and they refused to make public their succession plans. They have enough cash on hand that they could probably buy their way out of the fall if they wanted to make an acquisition. Anyone see this? I just found it today. http://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...bis-Science-Extracts-Kill-Cancer-Cells-Cancer Interesting results to say the least. Maybe new alt pharma will actually be interested in curing things instead of treating them....
Peace
Z