What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

The iD

TD said:
And There's Your Perfectly Leaked Explanation: CME Hikes Gold Margins, Again, This Time By 27%

Two weeks after the CME hiked gold margins by 22%, and two days after the Shanghai Gold Exchange sent them higher by 26%, here comes the CME, as we expected, with another 26% gold margin hike (previously: "Should we expect 3 more SGE margin hikes in the next 2 weeks? Or will the CME rightfully accept the baton and do everything in its power to dent the parabolic rise in the alternative reserve currency? We are cautiously looking at what the CME will do today and will advise readers."). And now we know that this particular margin hike was leaked well in advance, and explains the entire $100 plunge in gold today. And as a reminder, the August 1 CME margin hike worked... for about 30 minutes.

& on volume...

Volume%208.24.jpg

-iD

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Touche. Computers buy stocks very well! HFT ftw. lol

But when computers are doing it because someone has instructed them to in order to facilitate the illusion of the market being something other than it is... you don't have real price discovery, you don't have a free market, and you don't have capitalism.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I recognize your point. I guess the media reports of folks selling stocks for the bond market are actually no stock sales and all computer bond trades? Do we have computers trading bonds that aren't according to instruction?

I tend to not ponder polar ends of the spectrum. In most cases, the truth lies somewhere between.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
iD, weird thing is that SGE hike was 2 days ago, then just found out the SPDR Gold Trust holdings dropped by 25 tonnes yesterday, largest 1 day outflow since Jan 25. Add in hedge funds selling winners to get cash on hand. And now on top of that the CME hike? I'm surprised it didn't drop more, I guess.

I liked this headline about the gold dip... "Biggest Gold Drop Since December 2008 Sends Metal To... Week Ago Levels"

They're trying, if nothing else.

C

CascadeFarmer

And now we know that this particular margin hike was leaked well in advance, and explains the entire $100 plunge in gold today. And as a reminder, the August 1 CME margin hike worked... for about 30 minutes.
This stuff is kind of funny to me. Leaked well in advance yet gold ran up to what many had as a target of $1,900 and was definitely overbought/extended THEN the margin hike formally comes in which the only thing it did in my mind is exacerbate the pending drop creating a bit of panic also, taking out peeps stops accelerating the drop and intensity (volume). Now those people who are holding and bought high are thinking of dumping as well as those that were thinking about taking profits if they've been holding for awhile thinking they better sell now before it drops more.

Main point is timing of the formal announcement...lol.

As for the second part...it took a few hikes in silver margins before that got beat back into reality at least for the short term.

To me silver stocks look more attractive than gold stocks here especially the ones holding up better in their general pullback. If a deep recession coming from what I understand about 50% of silver is used in commercial manufacturing so decreased demand from that segment possibly coming up.

EDIT - a bit hard to believe that $170/20 MA level will hold especially after today's pounding. Would expect at least some follow through with this move tomorrow morning. The GLD chart is looking even more like the SLV chart.

C

CascadeFarmer

Was just watching the after hours Bid on GLD and exactly $170.00 for a little bit :)

The iD

Steve jobs just resigned supposedly. watch for confirmation. i thought he was going to die of AIDs while still CEO. interesting indeed.

-iD

C

CascadeFarmer

Steve jobs just resigned supposedly. watch for confirmation. i thought he was going to die of AIDs while still CEO. interesting indeed.

-iD
Yeah saw that and now AAPL taking a shit and down 5% after hours. As AAPL goes so goes the market it seems. These are extenuating circumstances though. Still AAPL dumping will drag the NASDAQ down.

The Q's finished up $.41 and now trading down $.27.

C

CascadeFarmer

AAPL was flashing signs of an entry for a short position today as it bumped against it's down trending 20 MA anyway. It was hitting a resistance level at $380 also. That recent bounce off it's 50 MA not too impressive compared to the down volume crashing into that indicator. Then the 'reason' for it to drop tomorrow comes in. Interesting how that works.

LOL...the Bid for GLD back to $170.00...and trades going through at that mark. Look at the volume and price move today...CRASH! Looks to me some indicators saying it has more downside potential than up. Look at the MACD crossover high in the chart just about to happen and the RSI and CCI turning hard south from an overbought condition...

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of Cramer's gold sheep just got slaughtered.

On computers trading. 70% of equity trading volume is HFT computer algorithms trading with each other. I like to think of it as Skynet.

C

CascadeFarmer

All of Cramer's gold sheep just got slaughtered.
Yeah we talked about it a day or two before the slaughter.

Skynet...:biglaugh:...not funny really with modern financial stuff. So cool to watch stuff play out.

I think though a good buying opportunity coming for gold just like silver a few months ago!

Bobby Stainless

"Ill let you try my Wu-Tang style"
Veteran
Gold peaked, and now is correcting. It happens pretty regularly, however this was a big one. Even after the correction, it is still 300 over six months ago. It's funny to hear 1700 as a "good" price for Gold. I would suggest looking into Corn.
gold_6_month_o_usd.png

What is the verdict on Apple stock, now that Steve is gone?

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Him pumping gold is a flashing red light to me that weak handed latecomers are about to get shaken out and sent home to mama crying.

Cramer's late to the party herd continues to be slaughtered at the alter today.

Warren Buffet just doubled down on the ponzi. He dumped $5 billion into sinking BofA. So..... they were undercaptialized and did need money after all. Looks like they are locked out of the market and are having to raise private capital. Buffet may have deep pockets, but they aren't that deep lol.

C

CascadeFarmer

It's funny to hear 1700 as a "good" price for Gold. I would suggest looking into Corn.
Personally I don't think $1,700 is a good price but figured it was the first logical place for it to pause and it is. I see $1,700 as a technical thing and not good or bad. Selling off hard again today on volume. Hard to see it popping back up soon with the intense volume selling the past 3 days. The selling carried over into today like I thought it would and intraday almost touched into that old gap area.

I've never really understood mankind's fascination with gold over history. I've heard that after WWII in Germany chickens were valued more than gold was. I mean the streams in the US were filled with gold and the Native Americans didn't give a shit...lol. It served no purpose. That's how much it's really worth except for commercial applications and jewelry IMO.

C

CascadeFarmer

Warren Buffet just doubled down on the ponzi. He dumped $5 billion into sinking BofA. So..... they were undercaptialized and did need money after all. Looks like they are locked out of the market and are having to raise private capital. Buffet may have deep pockets, but they aren't that deep lol.
For sure he's no dummy and in some ways needs to prop up the system a bit at critical times because it's in his best interest. You know he got a good deal otherwise he wouldn't have done it...lol. I mean if B of A collapses, whether he puts money in or not, he's in trouble like the rest of us so why not!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buffet's bailout gave Cramer a major hard on. He piled everyone into that nice pop for financials and then insiders dumped slaughtering his flock of sheep.

Presenting Cramer's "Massive Multiday Short-Covering Rally In Financials"
First, myth from Comcast's financial clown channel (the actual source is more than clear): "this is a turning point, Buffett's bailout marks the beginning of a massive multiday short-covering rally in the financials." And here's reality...

BKX%208.25.jpg

I'm sure Buffet got a great deal just like when he bailed out Government Sachs in '08. I'm sure he was told he'd get it all back. I'm sure he's hearing the same story this time. Except this time I think the old man is fucked because there aren't any more bullets to prop this ponzi up anymore.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Who was it that reported on Cramer's luck to lose (in the last 6 months?) He pitched a fit and I didn't hear anything else. Might have been somebody on MSNBC, can't remember.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't hear about that. I know John Stewart basically called him a POS a long while ago.

Cramer is a scam artist. He's picking peoples pockets for his masters.

Latest posts

Latest posts