What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Love the action figure!

I think the market may have been pricing in QEIII. Whenever Uncle Ben mentions taking the punchbowl away it's going to shit the bed. I think we will have to retrace back to pre-QEII before he blows his final wad on QEIII. There needs to be sufficient pain and panic to justify more printing.

M

Mountain

Read something today where Forbes was saying there's an inverted Head and Shoulders pattern which also happened like late 2010 before the market really took off. To me things now look more like a Head and Shoulders top for the general market with the right shoulder a bit higher which I think is a classic topping pattern?

Ultimately the puppemasters will make the market do the dance they want so what are they thinking?

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Chinese ADR's really getting hit hard this week , all correcting ...SINA BIDU NTES SNDA FMCN SOHU etc

market tanks again tryong to price in what will be prolly more bad Initial claims numbers tmorrow . Here we have oil over $100 again , slowing industrials , low GDP & high unemployment , market's been correcting ever since that data out , but the funds had all gone into defensive sectors weeks ago .

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What do ya'll think about the Sino-Forest stuff? Muddy Waters said they are going to short the stock until 0.

They have a good business model going over to Hong Kong and shorting the shit out of Chinese scam companies and ponzi schemes.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doing some technical analysis. It looks like the market going to roll over and die without any QE heroin. I think we may have a Black Swan event coming soon. ;)

black_swan.gif

M

Mountain

LOL! Didn't know you were an artist. Never saw that chart pattern before :)

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL! Didn't know you were an artist. Never saw that chart pattern before :)

:D

War is coming...that's the black swan! WWIII

Quite true. I'm thinking a serious appreciation of the Yuan is one or maybe a bond market crisis and then war. Potential Black Swans everywhere right now. That is such a good book.

For anyone who doesn't know what Black Swan is I can't recommend the book enough. It's written by an ex-prime minister of Leabon's son. Cambridge educated. Incredibly good trader, economist, and philosopher. It has to be my favorite book.

The perched duck is always a negative sign, the bears like ducks.

lol. :D

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like I'm going to have to bust out my Dow 11,000 hat today. I'm guessing Bernanke is going to work overtime try and keep this above 12K. Going to have to turn the printing presses on turbo drive though.

The iD

lol, ive been wearing my DOW50 hat for a month now. my Princess Bernank Dow50K lid is in storage until late Aug-Oct. then all that is left is my tinfoil wrapped army helmet come 2012.

and check the Fed algos and printers firing up @ 2pm EDT, right on time (same bat time, same bat channel) to close the gap to 12k. good call, very astute of you.

ive been playing risky puts/shorts on crude as it bounces between 98-104$/bbl. in on Goldman Sackless's 115$call, doubled down on OPEC's no raise output announcement, cashed out when it dipped sub98$/bbl. my reasons: strengthening dollar, lower demand, higher output. but ive been on top of it w/ tight trailing stops and straddles. stay frosty,

-iD

M

Mountain

OPEC came out today and said later this year the demand/supply gap will close. Hard to determine the truth sometimes and what games peeps are playing but I've been watching and researching the Peak Oil issue for over 5 years...

OPEC followed this week's failure to reach an output deal with a forecast world oil supplies would begin to fall short later this year, draining inventories just when demand is expected to hit a seasonal peak.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone seen this report?

Electric Company Of Saudi Arabia Warns Country May Run Out Of Oil By 2030
Sometimes we wish the oil minister of former OPEC member Saudi Arabia ("we can supply any amount of oil"), Wikileaks ("Saudi Said To Have Overstated Crude Oil Reserves By 300 Billion Barrels or 40%"), and now Saudi Arabia's very own electricity company would coordinate their story. In a little noticed comment by Abdel Salam al-Yamani, head of the Saudi Electricity Company, in Al Mashka, which so far has been captured by only El Economista magazine, has provided the most recent insider confirmation of peak oil: a very troubling development for those who still naively believe that Saudi Arabia has any marginal boosting capacity, or more importantly, is willing to risk pumping more than possible. Yet, caught between a revolutionary rock and various other cartel nut cases, Saudi will soon be forced to sell as much oil as it can in order to placate it increasingly angry population with ever greater and ever more frequent "gifts" buying the transitory admiration of its people.

Since the long term impacts of confirmed peak oil are rather obvious to everyone, we will merely recreate the relevant soundbites from El Economista:

The electricity company of Saudi Arabia has set off alarms to warn that oil in this country could be depleted by 2030 if left unchecked domestic consumption. According to a report of this company, it is estimated between 2.5 and 3.4 million barrels a day.

The report, published in the magazine Al Mashka of the company itself says that the increase in domestic consumption of oil is one of the main challenges facing the country, mainly because oil accounts for 80% of national income.

Abdel Salam al-Yamani, head of the Saudi Electricity Company also warned of the consequences for citizens to ignore the calls to save electricity and water, and has advised that they depend more on solar energy.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
I remember jackass predictions like this back in the 80's. The world only had a 30 year supply remaining. Even if true 30 years is a long time to party like a rock star, ah I mean dictator ;)

:joint:

The iD

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43350426

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/business/energy-environment/11oil.html

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...dy-to-deliver-on-surge-in-oil-production.html

Saudis Ready to Pump Oil After OPEC Collapse

Saudi Arabia signaled it’s ready to deliver on a pledge to boost the supply of oil after the collapse of OPEC talks two days ago.

The world’s largest oil exporter will increase production, though it’s too early to say by how much, a Saudi industry official with knowledge of the matter who declined to be identified, said today. Al-Hayat, citing senior officials, reported earlier that the kingdom will boost output to 10 million barrels a day in July from the current 8.8 million. Oil fell as much as 3.3 percent, the most in three weeks.

Saudi Arabia “wants everyone to understand that they’re serious,” Olivier Jakob, an analyst at Petromatrix GmbH in Zug, Switzerland, said today by phone. “It’s important that the Saudis are signaling that they’re offering additional barrels.”

theyre split, some want Obummer, some want the other hand. riding the seesaw is fun. why say only one thing when you can talk out of both sides of your mouth? live on both sides of the fence, the grass is always green. ultimately, its all a bunch of noise in the end. stay frosty,

-iD

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I looked into shorting the Chinese ADR's and it aint happening. No shares to be lent, and I would only trade a short ETF anyways. No need to reply Gramps.

I have a S&P short ETF and will add a little TWM next week, Russel 2000 short ETF. I think this baby has 10%-15% or more to drop. The summer is just started and we have months of seasonal weakness to go thru. Hold the gold, do not know about silver, but hold that gold. I bought silver back at $10 an ounce and sold at $12.50.... aye aye aye aye! Got into gold at $400 though and held. Silver is too bulky for me to store.

Short em if you got em, stocks that is.

joeuser

I remember jackass predictions like this back in the 80's. The world only had a 30 year supply remaining. Even if true 30 years is a long time to party like a rock star, ah I mean dictator ;)

:joint:

Gas was also 60 cents a gallon...now it's $3.60...a 3 dollar rise in just that 30 years.

The EASY to pump oil is almost gone. Think what you want, wish what you want...but the oil companies would NOT be drilling in 3 miles of water and then another 6 miles down if EASIER to get oil was still available. We'll be in an "oil plateau" for a while...as we drain the old fields and find some new harder to get to fields...and then the supply will slowly dwindle.

Cheap energy is what allowed humans to take over the world and populate like we've done. Those days ARE ending. Oil shortages alone will send us into a deep depression. Oil shortages will cause many to starve. Oil is life to modern societies.

I looked into shorting the Chinese ADR's and it aint happening. No shares to be lent, and I would only trade a short ETF anyways. No need to reply Gramps.

I have a S&P short ETF and will add a little TMW next week, Russel 2000 short ETF. I think this baby has 10%-15% or more to drop. The summer is just started and we have months of seasonal weakness to go thru. Hold the gold, do not know about silver, but hold that gold. I bought silver back at $10 an ounce and sold at $12.50.... aye aye aye aye! Got into gold at $400 though and held. Silver is too bulky for me to store.

Short em if you got em, stocks that is.

China...the great savior or world dominator...and they're just a crooked as we are. A bunch of Chinese IPOs were frauds. Chinese "companies" are falling like dominoes. China is just as fucked up as everyone else.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like next week is going to be brutal too.

Economic data may be as grim as bad summer movie MarketWatch
By Greg Robb, MarketWatch
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) — The economic indicators to be released next week are expected to amount to a bad summer movie that even economists don’t really want to watch.

The plot for the May data is already well known — high gasoline prices and the shortage of autos and auto parts from Japan conspired to drag the recovery down close to stall speed.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's up with Barclay's this morning. They are kind of looking like Bear Stern's a la 2007.

This Is Probably Not Good
BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS `SERIOUS' PROBLEMS IN EUROPEAN UNIT

For those who may have forgotten, back in the summer of 2007 Bear Stearns had some problems with some of its own units as well...

And some of the other soundbites:
-BARCLAYS CEO SAYS BARCAP IS REDUCING CREDIT MARKET EXPOSURE
-BARCLAYS CEO SAYS BANK DOESN'T USE RETAIL DEPOSITS FOR INV BANK
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS 2013 INT RATES TO RISE 100 BASIS POINTS
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS COMPETITION HAS INTENSIFIED IN THE UK
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS BANK CLOSED FINANCIAL PLANNING UNIT
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS ECONOMIC RECOVERY TO BE 'SLOW'
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS RESTRUCTURING TO REDUCE HEADCOUNT
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS RESTRUCTURING IN SPAIN IS 'COMPLEX'
-BARCLAYS'S JENKINS SAYS : PLAN IS ABOUT EXECUTION, 'ORGANIC GROWTH'