What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
* Silver might need a rest just check out the monthly on SLW ( Silver Wheaton Corp) just reported last night ...i would look to short scalp this here watching signs of profitaking
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SLW&p=W&b=5&g=0&id=p55067797393

SLW stock has gone from $2.50 to $45 in just over 2yrs ,
thats from $1Bil to an added $15Bil in Market cap !!

The $DIA is stalling finally too....always keep an eye on diamonds ;)

GLD (gold spyder) hitting that quad top again !!
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=GLD&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p25248049502

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
JDSU also "double top" near $28 ...been a great stock tho along with CIEN both back in favor the need for broadband ever increasing now ,not to mention the 3D glasses u get in the theatres made by JD Uniphase ;)

would look to long & short scalp here...CIEN in play reporting earnings 3/11
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=CIEN&p=D&b=5&g=0&id=p54762529207

The Street looking for upside surprise from CIEN & sector been on fire
http://secure2.thestreet.com/cap/login/rm_mbp_yahoo_bd.jsp?PPOID_1=400001&PPOID_2=400003&cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=PREMIUM&cm_ite=003190&flowid=66692baacd&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thestreet.com%2Fp%2F_yahoo%2Frmoney%2Ftechnology%2F11032289.html

top side may do $30's but stocks like these have already ran up & up..

M

Mountain

Short THQI! The long term formation looks pretty good but what a bunch of tards. Lots of free publicity here though...
A publicity stunt intended to advertise upcoming shooter Homefront ended up backfiring this week when 10,000 red balloons, released by publisher THQ into the San Francisco skies, wound up in the waters of the Bay itself, angering local environmentalists.

Scheduled for release on March 15, Homefront takes place in 2027, and sees a belligerent and heavily armed North Korean army invades the mainland of the United States. The balloons were released in a mock protest against the game's fictional North Korean regime, and coincided with this week's Game Developers Conference taking place in downtown San Francisco.

But what goes up, must come down -- and thanks to San Francisco's notoriously dreary weather, it didn't take long for the thousands of balloons, weighed down by windy, rainy conditions, to wind up touching down in the Bay. Pictures of balloon-covered waters flooded the Internet, and local residents took to Facebook to express their outrage.

The balloons carried the name of retailer Gamestop, but in a statement the retailer denied responsibility, saying it had no prior knowledge of the stunt and pointing the finger at publisher THQ instead.

And THQ? In a statement, the publisher's vice-president of corporate communications, Julia MacMedan assured concerned San Franciscans that the balloons wouldn't be troubling them for long.

"The balloons that were released are completely biodegradable," she told Cnet. "They start the process of biodegrading as soon as they're blown up with the helium. There should not be any environmental concerns." Regardless, the publisher has hired a clean-up crew to deal with the mess.

Local environmentalists weren't impressed, pointing out that, biodegradable or not, the latex balloons could still pose a threat to wildlife while they undergo the decomposition process -- and Cnet further observes the culprits could face prosecution under anti-littering laws.
You get the general idea and better pics than these 'floating' around. Is someone gonna get a raise or get fired?
picture.php

picture.php

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
They picked a pretty gloomy day , lol....just don't buy this Chip sector upgrade

The SMH is way in the overbought even on the weekly & same for the $SOX below
unless they see some huge expanding demand for PC's , iPads, smartphones in coming months ...maybe this huge flight to the net out of these flare-ups in the ME. Still technically the sector is far too extended on every indicator

(interesting action with JDSU & fibre optics today , CIEN chart looks as over extended as the SMH below ...25% of CIEN's float is shorted which is prolly why Cramer recomended today, will Know monday morning when they report !! ....but would short any pop )

Fiber Optics List
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=A+AFOP+AVGO+BRCD+CIEN+CSCO+EXFO+EMC+FFIV+FNSR+jdsu+OPTX.pk

* These both weekly charts which are way overbought ...they really have to see consumer/jobs improve to justify going higher...& oil pullback.
smhy.png

SOX
sox22.png

M

Mountain

They picked a pretty gloomy day , lol....just don't buy this Chip sector upgrade
The day it rained balloons in SF...lol! If peeps look closely at the last 2 pics the balloons are still falling and if you live in the SF area you'd know what a backlash this could create locally. Won't affect THQI though IMO.

Dude...soon as I saw the chip sector upgrade at the 50 MA I was like...hmmmmm. I don't see oil pulling back much but a friend into commodities says in general they are due for a 20-30% pullback. Silver looks waaaay out there and gold extended also.

WoW man that rise in SMH you posted after it crossed it's 50/200 convergence came on decelerating volume then kicked up a bit in the last push.

noreaga

Finally a market thread, thank goddddddd! for years i've always wanted to start one but never had the balls. And to think they say us stoners dont do our Due Diligence.

All about the options strategies my friends. Been doing some crazy moves lately but looking to get back into actual stock itself since options are a tight squeeze if you slip up in a split second

Keep it Bullish
Nore

M

Mountain

options are a tight squeeze if you slip up in a split second
Welcome to the thread...sometimes it seems to take less than a second. I did really well with options early this year then a bit of a rollercoaster so backed off. Mainly now just watching things.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
I still think they're pumping up the ship sector giving preferred clients a chance at an out. JDSU is rocking and still remember contemplating a buy when it closed that day near 18....ooops.

I was really tempted with CRZO near the close. KOG held up very well after a crappy earnings announcement but interesting thing is KOG has a rapidly growing proven reserve of crude while CRZO also has a rapidly growing proven reserve but more of that is natty gas. CRZO has set targets to increase oil reserves compared to natty gas and they are on target. As Cramer said...KOG is a speculative play but still like their chances long term.

Silver still going nuts. That ring on my finger is worth more every day...ha ha!

The fellow who asked on the thread how to double his money , could have answered him with--> anticipating a sector move & be patient . Like back in November investing in the oil/energy sector which seasonally always has the potential for gaining with winter demands for energy /heating , but hit the perfect storm with the erupting in the ME & big pop in oil . Wonder how Saudi Arabia royales are going to fare , they better start throwing out billions fast to their poor homeys & keep em happy ! The slightest unsettlement in the Saudi regime & oil going to pop huge , so will the precious metals .

The semi's & techs did almost as well helped alot by Apple & the iPad /smart phone mass addictions going into Xmas season & hopes of improving job market & soft recovery . Were going to see more & more this Pad revolution & the bandwidth demand that along with smartphones 3&4G are making on networks . Look at the popo Verizon got all thru Dec...all fueld by hopes of recovery & continued consumer spending. <g

That need for more & more bandwidth leads right into the fibre optic sector which along with oil/energy momo's would be the one sector that truely did the Double Your Money thing. Optical Networking fever sure came right on the heels naturally with the iPad fever , going to put even more huge demands on the networks & the Need for Speed everyone wants .

Move put on by JDSU friday was off the rosey investor meeting news thrown out by Agilent and since JDSU bought their optical testing group put on a BIG move . That was a $1/2Bil dollar move made by JDSU on friday & a double since Jan!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...rom-agilent-s-rosy-outlook-1-.html?cmpid=yhoo

Tweaked my Optical Sector list even more & they are all almost doubles since Jan but these stocks all getting toppy on trader euphoria (dont fight it near term , play long then short scalp only ) , CIEN will be bigtime in-play monday morning when they report and so will the others. (25% of the float is short)

Optical Networking
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&...wp+jdsu+JNPR+oclr+occf+OPTX.pk+oplk+osis+zigo

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Made a 3rd oil/shale/energy play-list including crzo, royl,bdco etc ...any other little oil stocks anyone can mention will add on... so many stocks so little time.

They're all toppy here but anything can & will happen ...
everything will be news driven from the ME from here .
(hurricane season off in the distance !)

More oil energy plays (newest)
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&...+hes+kog+lei+mhr+oas+nep+nog+royl+rrc+swn+wll

Oil drillers machine suppliers
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?d=v1&s=oih+xle+bhi+do+esv+hal+hp+fwlt+gsf+ne+nov+pten+rdc+slb

Refiners
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/cq?s=OIH...dco+CHK+CNQ+COP+EONC+ETP+FTO+HOC+MRO+royl+xom

zenoonez

Veteran
Just wait until we have quantum computing and entangled particles and information can literally be transfered instantaneously without any bandwidth. We will see the benefits of fractal compression before that though. Bye bye pixels and resolution distortion of image and video.

M

Mountain

but anything can & will happen
You betcha. I remember watching a documentary called Countdown to Zero about nuclear stuff and at some point a guy said that if there is a probability that something can happen at some point it will.

I was fully invested in stocks on 9-10-2001. Things were not acting the way I wanted and went to bed with the intention of dumping everything at the open...which didn't happen.

everything will be news driven from the ME from here
...and Saudi Arabia makes the announcement today that no protests will be allowed and under no uncertain terms will enforce the ban.

turbolaser4528

Veteran
Anyone investing in Solar or alternative energy stocks ?

I would think investing in coal and natural gas would be profitable as China, USA, Brazil, India, etc use them up to continue growing ?

Oil ? Fuck theere's a lot of info in this thread I have to reread it.

M

Mountain

Anyone investing in Solar or alternative energy stocks?
Stay away from solar stocks as they've been getting absolutely hammered lately. Some underlying issues with over production and governments not, or soon to stop, subsidising installations. There was some tax break or something in Cali which ended at the end of 2010 but a lot of government sponsored activity in Europe also. Companies like SPWRA, SOL, TSL, WFR, FSLR, CSIQ, JASO et al were put on the chopping block. Read China is not granting production 'licenses' to any new solar companies and some of the newer ones may have to shut their doors...social capitalism.

As for natural gas there's an over supply in the US and prices are weak. Companies like LNG have done well because they are setting up to EXPORT natural gas to places like Great Britain where prices are double that in the US. I played LNG late January and should have hung in there for even more I guess.

Coal is hot and looks very solid long term. Will be less volatile than oil and really the ugly stepsister in a wealthy family. Coal is dirty...oil is glamorous.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
NG has been getting hammered over the past months. Like Mountain said, oversupply. We are seeing a lot of rigs moving from NG producing fields to oil producing fields. Some of these fields like the Haynesville are hot hole drilling and only viable if gas is around $5 per cubic million. They do a lot of damage to the directional drilling equipment.

When oil goes up like it has we move to horizontal drilling fields that produce more black stuff. There is a pretty big shift going on right now in domestic energy drilling.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
...and Saudi Arabia makes the announcement today that no protests will be allowed and under no uncertain terms will enforce the ban.

Yah remembered that Saudi King Abdulla also just recently pledged $37Bil to improve conditions for its general populations right after the Egyptian eruption . What one might call the "Oprah Winfrey" appeasement plan ....

Saudi King Abdullah unveiled a series of benefits for Saudis estimated to be worth $35 billion on his return home on Wednesday after three months abroad for medical treatment.
http://todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?newsId=236476

vp%2B23%2Bfeb-2011-735375.jpg

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
"After historic gains, are stocks nearing a bubble? "
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110306/ap_on_bi_st_ma_re/us_wall_street_week_ahead_bubble

For now , even with the speculators of oil driving prices up the market has been so dam resilient u can't fight the tape just yet but had it right with NFLX & CRM being overvalued & needing to shed some weight . Here's one fund manager Ryan Jacob admitting they were trimming their holdings of last week . One success of shorting is when you have fund managers also selling too when targets have been reached .

Valuation Targets Reached On Salesforce.com (CRM), Red Hat (RHT) And Netflix (NFLX): Trim These Core Sector Holdings Says Internet Investing Pioneer Ryan Jacob Of Jacob Asset Management

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Valua...tml?x=0&.v=1&.pf=retirement&mod=pf-retirement

So when we look at core holdings of ours that we have trimmed - this would be companies like Netflix (NFLX), Salesforce.com (CRM) or even Red Hat (RHT) software - so they are still holdings of ours and they are still core positions, but they are definitely holdings that we've trimmed back over the last three to six months, purely for valuation reasons, where we just want to make sure that stock prices don't get ahead of the fundamentals.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All I know is that when this liquidity bubble pops it's going to make 2008 look like a walk in the park. Only because in 08 it was the private sector that collapsed and the losses were socialized.

When this bubble pops it's the governments who are going to be holding the bag when the SHTF. There is no more backstop. Everyone goes broke.

whodare

Veteran
hey gramps did you read about the Department of Defense report saying the collapse in 08 was stimulated and capitalized on by enemies of the US.

in other words its not only our bad monetary policy and lending habits but also an economic attack from people or countries seeking to destroy the american economy and way of life...