What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am long for the year mostly but next week looks to be a short so far.

Keep telling us the sky is falling gramps, sooner or later you will be right.

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran

Keep telling us the sky is falling gramps, sooner or later you will be right.
Yeah the fundamentals seems to have put some steam in the bull. If you get some bad news and the market doesn't move much lower then you know you're near a bottom and there's room on the upside. Same is true at the top - good news not moving the market much higher is a sign.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Just FYI, NTRR, a cannabis "research" company, has run from 40 cents to $2.50 in two weeks. Volume was 5000 per day, but today was 250,000. Probably pump & dump, but keep an eye on it.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
I am long for the year mostly but next week looks to be a short so far. Keep telling us the sky is falling gramps, sooner or later you will be right.

lol, with so many economic indicators turning up run in the homebuilders, banks,materials & the usual places big momo funds love to park money, this wasn't the time to be playing shorts unless very stock specific . This week they played right into the Job#s & NatGas draw #s released on thurs and if you want to see some real good charts last few weeks in energy with XLE all the way back up check out the runs on UPL XEC SWN LNG they'll blow your mind.

VXX & UVXY nothing but fades there...

Last stock you wanted to be short was IBM this last week with its 13% weighting & them running Warren Buffet's baby or CELG which has been the IBM of biotechs. Homebuilders , Rails, Airlines & the Transports all ramped like no tomorrow UNP KSU NSC CP UAL DAL ALK JBHT LUV FDX UPS etc. With HD & WHR just pulling back finally topping going to be rotations now as they kite things up. There were many successful shorts possible finally into friday as they locked in profits even on IBM if right ther catching the 1rst gap up.

GOOG wasnt participating last week but only after 3tags to the overbought RSI and stalling at 840 area, usually 3tags to RSI 70 stops any stock and it did for GOOG. But they picked up slack with AAPL bouncing twice now off that 420 pivot which went even more after Samsung S4 big debut which alwys sets PANL off which popped 10% but sold down again friday from 34.50 top R again. Also BBRY which has been a trader dream both short & long off 12s and short again from 16.

Finally saw some down action on CRM & even LNKD , AMZN tried gapping to 280 but got sold down then showing top resistance at 275 getting hit there & may go lower to test 255. AMZN had already gapped to 285 on earnings and sold down $30 in the two days following, sort of a hint there? So last week there were shorts abounding, nothing like that ULTA high flyer that got tagged.

VMW went on a tare with MW weds, GS after the stress test results & gov't needing refiling with JPM did contrarian bounces into friday after selling off the night before to 150 bouncing back to 155 which u alwys expect but this might be R again next week.

Dont know if you saw that momo for MLNX what a show & then great reshort after hitting 65, there's been lots of shorts in the market like the China basket BIDU & QIHU that went too far, RAX FFIV AKAM , BIDU has just been so leaned on every pop shortable. Also high flying 3D printing stock DDD & SSYS pulling back down watch for bounces maybe here , even RAX got surprise $2 bounce finally on friday.

Interesting enough the beaten down coal ACI got sneaky little 10% bounce thurs/fri, coals & steels might be bottoming finally WLT retesting a low that might hold 29s , that CLF what short that was last canary died in the coal mine.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran

hey yessum,

Hope you noticed my post to keep an eye on 3D printers DDD & SSYS for bottoming, Stratasys made a good move thurs/fri & DDD bounced off the 200ma @ 28 pretty well.

One good play was short on MOV on earnings thurs fading the gap up to $38, the stock came all the way from $10 and they've been selling everything down lately from these lofty levels. FOSL already dropped back from 107 top congestion but after MOV got sold hard FOSL took another step down, to good sym plays...now look for bottoming maybe ( look at what happened to FDX from double top high @ 109, but bounced finally off the RSI30 at 95.30 )

Also in that post noted that 155 was the top R on Goldman puts from 2 fridays ago on the Job #s rally went from 40c to $4.60 into monday's Cyprus fall , this was the time to get bearish lately & go puts last 4wks lots of sell offs & resets. Just had to time it at the top R and let them do that Job #''s rally. Even LEN sold down from double top high at $44 because they have been running up for months & they are taking profits everywhere.

Cyprus was an event but Euro was already in recession mode , they just kept the headlines off that till they got to wring out the last bear and push things up, this would have pulled back anyways. Test shorts were working 154 , then that one bounce friday back to 155 after the stress test results, then Cyprus banking deal on monday.

sc

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
What was hot that peeps may have not noticed? Nat Gas has been on a tear with many intiatives up ahead for cleaner fuel for transports & the revolution in fracking & discovery

check out some bounces in XOP etf Energy exploration plays: $CLMT $COG $CRZO $DPM $EOG $XEC $EPL $GPOR $RRC $PWE $SWN $UPL $WLL

especially this RRC & XEC , from Jan to march XEC ran from 55 to almost 80!

sc

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Does Marijuana Cause Global Warming? ( just for fun, the conservative press goes after pot grows)
APR 12
Posted by Tory Aardvark

Indoor Marijuana growing is an environmental holocaust

Gaia is going to be so pissed with you hippies

By some estimates, marijuana has long been the largest cash crop in the United States — ahead of corn, soybeans and hay. The industry has been pegged at about $40 billion in value, with California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington the top five production states.

skunkfactory.jpg

Does Marijuana Cause Global Warming? The answer inevitably has to be Yes; after all everything causes Global Warming from cats to supercharged V8's, flying, eating meat, the list is endless. There is however a strange anachronism none of these global warming effects happens when a member of the UN, Governmental or NGO jets off to a sex tourism capital to try and give away the industrialised world’s wealth, must be what they mean by carbon offsets. The eco Nazi’s offset their carbon use because theirs is a noble cause, where as the rest of us are just selfish for going on holiday or going about our business.

A study has been done of the carbon footprint of home grown medical marijuana, and there is bad news for the earth mother loving hippies, the carbon footprint of a joint (never in his wildest thoughts did Aardvark ever think he would write that!) is 2 pounds of CO2. and then there is the CO2 produced during growing, a single plant requires 70 gallons of fuel:

Indoor marijuana cultivation consumes enough electricity to power 2 million average-sized U.S. homes, which corresponds to about 1 percent of national power consumption, according to a study by a staff scientist at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory.

Researcher Evan Mills’ study notes that cannabis production has largely shifted indoors, especially in California, where medical marijuana growers use high-intensity lights usually reserved for operating rooms that are 500 times more powerful that a standard reading lamp.

The resulting price tag is about $5 billion in annual electricity costs, said Mills, who conducted and published the research independently from the Berkeley lab. The resulting contribution to greenhouse gas emissions equals about 3 million cars on the road, he said.

Narrowing the implications even further reveals some staggering numbers. Mills said a single marijuana cigarette represents 2 pounds of CO2 emissions, an amount equal to running a 100-watt light bulb for 17 hours.

“The added electricity use [to an average home] is equivalent to running about 30 refrigerators,” Mills wrote. “Processed cannabis results in 3,000 times its weight in CO2 emissions. For off-grid production, it requires 70 gallons of diesel fuel to produce one indoor cannabis plant, or 140 gallons with smaller, less-efficient gasoline generators.”

indoor-cannabis-energy-use.jpg

Gaia is going to be so pissed with you hippies

By some estimates, marijuana has long been the largest cash crop in the United States — ahead of corn, soybeans and hay. The industry has been pegged at about $40 billion in value, with California, Tennessee, Kentucky, Hawaii and Washington the top five production states.

The largest cash crop in the US? That is one hell of a lot medical marijuana! Then there are the skunk factories of western europe……

http://toryaardvark.com/2011/04/12/does-marijuana-cause-global-warming/

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
in a legal environment, that is, the proper and deserved environment and status of a crop like cannabis, the whole indoor growing thing would become a thing of the past, along with all the electric usage.

again, this is yet another misplaced blame in this prohibition game.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone watching the price action in commodities?

Paper gold, paper silver, and oil are collapsing. Panic selloff (margin calls like a mofo I'm sure). Gold's biggest two day drop in 30 years. Last time it was even remotely like this was 2008 and the massive selloff in 2011.

Global macro numbers out today were terrible again. I'm confused though, for the last 18 months deteriorating macro numbers have pushed the market to record closes seemingly almost everyday. The worse the macro data is the more QE Bernanke Bucks get printed which means the market moves higher. If it's good data the market moves higher. The market can never go down with central banks in control.

What am I missing? :dunno:

The iD

What am I missing?

you still think there is a "market". the atari cartridge that is programmed to manage perception commonly referred to as the "market" represents nothing except the deluded perceptions of the participants and the computations of linear algorithms programmed by just as equally deluded and corrupt members of the status quo. just because ppl do business and abide by these metrics does not give the "market" legitimacy, but says everything about the participants' perceptions and motives.

in a hyper-biflationary environment centered around central planning and central bank money printing there will be low perceived volatility (VIX anyone?) due to the support of the CBs while they allow inflation in assets that they support (equities, bonds, taxes, gov spending) and inverse inflation in assets they either do not support or desire to manipulate to accrue a greater real (physical) allocation at cheaper prices while profiting off the decline in paper price and shaking out the weak hands.

i say inverse inflation because logically billions of printed fiat would denote a rising price in stocks and commodities due to dilution of purchasing power but this "market" is anything but logical or rational. it is even simpler for the fed to print and xfer that cash to the primary dealers and banks, many of which are the same or in bed w/ each other and take that free cash and throw it at the short side of the paper metals, just like i did. one could have protected their entire physical holdings w/ less than 1% of their value thru leverage via derivatives on paper au/ag etfs. levered up to 300% w/ long puts/short calls on 3x ETF or the inverse (long calls, short puts) on the 3x inverse ETFs.

short paper, long physical. prepare for the divergence in fantasy vs reality. not too much longer now. it will end in war, death, pestilence, and famine for a vast majority, just like it has done for eons.

imagine it as a ball of liquid floating in a set space. there is constant yet differing amounts of pressure acting outwards on the space, while simultaneously the space is imparting a similar pressure inwards on the liquid. it is reciprocal, yet uneven, but always trying to find equilibrium. it is a quantum process.

typically the pressures are fairly balanced, or slightly skewed to an inflationary bias (Ben/fed, boj, ecb, and popular consensus like "2%" on their manipulated CPI metrics) but sometimes a deflationary (mfg, Cyprus, real economy, china) event comes up which can be easily thwarted by nearly 4BILLION$ of fedrez monetary injections EVERY SINGLE BUSINESS DAY. today they pumped in $5B+ for their POMO to support equities.

except when that deflation is in alternative currencies, err...i mean traditions.

when their is excess inflationary pressure (war/rumors of war, food, oil, metals, AMMO) one just has to turn off or reduce the flow of the fiat spigot, or preferably corzine some muppets and rehypothecate your adversaries' segregated accounts, or savings accounts, or 401ks, or IRAs, or pensions, which will be coming stateside soon enough. or maybe just raise taxes while peddling austerity for "you" while "we" get to spend more of "your" money.

this doesnt even touch on the social effect these false signals impart on the real economy. perception management. it allows one to write an article such as this: "EVERYONE Should Be Thrilled By The Gold Crash"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/ever...-by-the-collapse-of-gold-2013-4#ixzz2QYY17Jvf

...where one can argue that everything is "fixed" (oh, how right they are. lol) because of the signals their false perceptions and manipulated metrics give them. seasonally adjusted keynesian mopes.

$18.90/~1k AG/AU bottom. would like to see AU dip into triple digits. dont think supply will be available at those levels or premium would be huge. just look at supply problems now. price goes down while demand rises. just follow the dots on that one to their logical conclusion. lol.

when their linear methods and perceptions meet w/ the upcoming divergent quantum processes the pressure in the "liquid and space" in the example above, that have been steadily increasing in tandem for almost exactly a century, will pop resulting in either an explosion or implosion, represented by an uncontrollable collapse.

gonna be a hell of a sight to see. exciting. stay frosty,

-the iD

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hehe thanks iD. I'm loving the commodity sell off. I've been holding back from purchasing for a while waiting for a good dip. I think SkyNet just just pulled my number.

The irrational exuberance that has surrounded Bernanke's Atari game for the last 18 months has been breathtaking to watch. Record highs almost everyday in the face of deteriorating global macro data. The monster of all bubbles, ever. Going to get hairy when it pops.

It's a shame that "the market" is merely a propaganda tool used to manage the perception of the herd, but isn't this how it always ends.

be good bro.

:joint:

Stonefree69

Veg & Flower Station keeper
Veteran
Man, the S&P + NASDAQ futures contracts should be interesting. Those alone can make you a fortune when you can call those right. I couldn't afford the regular contracts so the e-mini contracts are a good way to get your feet wet. Dad and me used to trade the minis (1/10th the regular S&P...) in the 90's during the upward spiral/prebubble. Your leverage (as well as risk of loss) is much better than just buying or selling the market outright on 50% margin. The mini contracts just make it all the more sweet for the average investor.

Personally I'd look for a dip and buy but would use a trading program that buys breakouts or upswings from a moving average to help keep emotions out of decision.

But wow did gold ever take a hit and on record volumes...

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Yes it is an oil company selling oil and paying cash dividends, not favored by the ponzi scheme so it is getting the shit kicked out of it like the miners. But positive EPS, paying cash, way better than the FB's and the like of the world.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oil is taking a beating right now too as with other commodities.

Slow down in China, Europe, and other deteriorating macro indicators have hit the commodity complex hard.

Nat Gas is up though. Was around $4.40 which makes the east Texas shallower gas plays like the James Lime economical again.

I think everyone in the industry is skittish on buying up gas leases still though. That crash burned a lot of people.

Haven't done any work for Penn West myslef. Haven't really heard of them or where they are drilling.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am long the market and thinking to add. hmmmm.

Summer is crappy for stocks so, damn can't decide.

Latest posts

Latest posts