What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
ROYL popped 10% more even after Jim (the mouth) Cramer warned about chasing on monday nites Lightning round mentioning oil could pullback & company has little revs to speak of . But its the hot sector

Cramer's lightning round ...
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41834735?__source=yahoo|headline|quote|text|&par=yahoo

Breakdown of the stock's float & shortinterest with only 9mil shares in the float
(very small float)
http://shortsqueeze.com/?symbol=royl

chart below is example of most extreme overbought here with RSI of 94 !!
looks to be slowing down but this can happen when a stock like ROYL has a
very tiny float

royl.png

M

Mountain

chart below is example of most extreme overbought here with RSI of 94 !!

looks to be slowing down but this can happen when a stock like ROYL has a very tiny float
Yeah I mentioned PDO awhile back and it's made a similar advance except without the gap. These 'little' stocks are doing the exact same thing they did during the last oil 'crisis' and expect a repeat scenario. Also with stocks like this the increase in volume from the previous average can drive some insane volatility.

Stocks like this are also a bit of a game of musical chairs.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Bam ! Gold Doing good now.Makes GLD almost hitting $140..almost all indicators pointing up RSI and even Stoch.Love the 25MA-100MA.Bulleye! 4 tops so far.

Got out of WLT in the Fools.Take a big profit and why not.I have to get in gold or silver.Got the itch.

MMG hits it up good from $1.00 ..Oh yea..I got out Yesterday..really didn't think too hard about today's action .Now its up 2X now..$1.25

Just a tad update on the Motley's Fools since I'm out of WLT,Makes sense to short it eh? Nahhhh,, I did that and it still kept climbing higher.Defensive Day today too.The graph doesn't update yet so it should be getting close to the 325 line after the market closes.

Little Wake and Bake... lol

M

Mountain

Screw this...I don't like today's action at all. I'm late getting in where I would normally like but went short on the Q's. First time in my life I've gone short so an experiment...lol! I'd rather play a general market downturn here than picking a select issue. Took half the position I would have liked but virtually no spread and very liquid. I'm just seeing lower lows and the only thing up is gold, oil and silver and I'd rather be short now than play the long side on commodities like that here.

I just for the life of me can't see why the market will recover from here and move higher. If it goes higher I'll buy the other half and if lower fast will be satisfied with what I got.

IAG kind of looks good long here so maybe I will get some gold after all :) and would rather play a company than the commodity. Think I'd just rather be short tech though.

Holy hell the Q's just on a greased downhill in the last few minutes...oh yeah! Tomorrow is another day though...

I do think the dip buyers are gone...at least for now...and once the bids evaporate look out.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
OMG, SONS is at 4.11. I wish I had been here to watch it all day, but I had to go do real work and am back for lunch. It made a beautiful inverted head and shoulders pattern and then popped. If I were still in, I'd be at +9.7%.

Madrus, my method is to watch stocks that pop on the opening and wait until the first major pullback then get in the better looking one and ride it up or let it stop out. Its only used for scapling, it doesn't matter to me what the long term or even next day issues are because I only hold them for 4-5 hours or less.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
well SONS traded up another 30c to high of $4.14 with 32mil shrs traded of that larger 270mil float ...company just tacked about $300mil onto the market cap with this move to $1.14Bil.

They really did trounce the earnings report...and they rewarded them well .
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=sons&ql=1

Edit : was posting while u were Sam , if only you'd held !!
(in play tomorrow too)

lol

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Hey Sam...if you find something that works and 'only' picking up a few % a day then awesome. The turtle wins the race in the long run. If you got a decent little bull program going look at developing a bear program. Part of it is just switching things upside down but a more to it than that. Chris Manning told me shorting is a bit more difficult than just reversing things.

Yeah, I've read that about shorting also. The thing is about the last 3 scalp trades I made, the first two had reached new highs after I exited that would have more than doubled my gains if I would have waited for them. And the last one made today made new highs after I exited, and if I would have made a perfect exit (unlikely, but close) the gain would have been +10.9%. So I'm still a little bit impatient on the exit but have improved my patience on the entries. So what are small gains had the potential to be much larger, if only I had been patient enough. Sometimes I have to leave the house and just exit when I get a reasonable gain, but if I had real money I would be watching it all day.

Thing about a short is you can only make 100% max...ha ha.

Or until they stop the trading of a stock. HAWK is no longer traded, it ended at 4.11.

zenoonez

Veteran
I sat out today again. Some strong moves but again the market had a tentative feeling. I guess we will see what shakes out tomorrow. I see SONS being strong again, BDCO might still have some gas left as well. I might have to jump in early tomorrow. I have 2 day trades burning a hole in my pocket and I think tomorrow is going to see one burnt.

Edit: Sam its better to make a moderate plus gain than wait too long and lose it all down the drain. I like to look for it to run up a hill into resistance and sell it on the fall.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
TNT ....pretty classy rebound off the 30rsi for the GLD & making the "Omar Daffy-Kadaffi" move here

Times of trouble they ran back into it , but perfect entry staring in the
face there on the pullback to $128 area & extreme oversold touch to the 30rsi
now has to contend with that quad top & the Overbought ...this may be the short entry
but "News" drives things here
gldnew.png

M

Mountain

Yeah, I've read that about shorting also. The thing is about the last 3 scalp trades I made, the first two had reached new highs after I exited that would have more than doubled my gains if I would have waited for them. And the last one made today made new highs after I exited, and if I would have made a perfect exit (unlikely, but close) the gain would have been +10.9%. So I'm still a little bit impatient on the exit but have improved my patience on the entries. So what are small gains had the potential to be much larger, if only I had been patient enough. Sometimes I have to leave the house and just exit when I get a reasonable gain, but if I had real money I would be watching it all day.
You can second guess until the cows come home. If you can take what you're seeing, or think you're seeing, and create a trading program with it you'll be golden. I'm talking about a computer program which you've back tested and that gives you the buy and sell signals and takes your emotion and thinking out of the equation. If you think you can sit there and consistently pick 'perfect' exits you're dreaming. Let the program take the guesswork out. If not repeatable then just throwing darts a bit and every now and then you hit a bull's eye.

Since I'm now short I hope the market gets flushed down the toilet...ha ha.

M

Mountain

NICE! The NASDAQ closing at it's 50 and got there in a hurry on strong volume and bouncing down off it's 20 which used to serve as support but now seems like resistance for the first time in like forever. I'm hoping I called a bear reversal and the 20 is what I watch for general up/down trends. That the NASDAQ bouncing down off the 20 on volume is a good sign...for me.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've been waiting for this thing to get monkey hammered for a while, but it's been a relentless bull.

Gold and silver up nicely today makes for a happy boy. Oil too since that's my business.

M

Mountain

I've been waiting for this thing to get monkey hammered for a while, but it's been a relentless bull.

Gold and silver up nicely today makes for a happy boy. Oil too since that's my business.
Yeah gold silver and oil rocked but oil company issues in general sold off. Some techs held up OK and if things were different would have looked to go long with them.

If I thought tomorrow was the day this thing would implode would have taken a stronger position. Today was pretty ugly though. Held some in reserve just in case things turn better so I can average down.

M

Mountain

BDCO...meant to mention this small cap junk oils , always manages to pop on slightest of news but this was a monster move ....just a little too busy <g
BDCO caught my eye when Zen mentioned it. Thing that's impressive is it's held it's gains in a pretty tight range with a new closing high today while PDO is a bit messier. ROYL though coming out of a 1 year base that's flat as a pancake.

If any of these stocks perform like they (similar issues) did back in the last oil crisis they're just getting going.

zenoonez

Veteran
Lets hope they are just getting going. I am looking for a morning pop. WTF on RPRX today? Up huge and maintaining momentum. Looks like it is looking to break away. Hopefully it keeps it up for tomorrow. It looked really strong at close today and all that on just higher than average volume. Oh and keep going ROYL, BDCO, & PDO! I gotta expect there will be another value energy stock that gets plucked out of obscurity soon to be some fund manager's pony for a week or two.

a good short term trade on the stock market would be any big chinese oil companys, becoming bigger by the day, and also any big established chinese computer chip manafacturing companys... all of whom a good bet on the financial market.

and also wasabi companies in vietnam and cambodia

M

Mountain

I gotta expect there will be another value energy stock that gets plucked out of obscurity soon to be some fund manager's pony for a week or two.
When I was trading heavily 10+ years ago I had a book that was published regularly by IBD and broken down by industry group/sector. It contained every US listed company. Now I think they have that stuff online someplace but still have to pay for it. Since not a lot of companies coming public or getting delisted every year it was good to look through now and then. A portion of my time was spent researching off the beaten path.

As for RPRX I just went to the daily chart, saw the pop late December, looked at news archives and what happened today seems to be a carry over from then...

After the shares of The Woodlands-based company nearly doubled on Dec. 23 on positive news for its developmental testosterone-boosting drug Androxal, the company’s stock gained nearly 40 percent Monday after the company released encouraging results for its other key drug, Proellex, which is being tested to treat uterine fibroids and endometriosis.
All news, and subsequent stock moves, based on the potential these drugs will be commercialized. While the news is past seems there's peeps out there that like the potential and gambling a bit and their ultimate approval?

Very quickly on, for me, I stayed away from anything having to do with drugs, biotech, medical devices, etc. and these days soon as I find out I'm looking at a stock like this I change the screen...doesn't matter what kind of stock it is for a day trader long as it's 'hot'.

zenoonez

Veteran
M I have a roommate who is the one who got me into trading for keeps and he used to play two groups of stocks, small pharma stocks and ethanol stocks. He made a killing watching these for news related pops. I think there are quite a few stocks I will be adding to the list tomorrow. I am going to have to do some pruning of old stocks out of my watchlist for sure. I think a lot of money has gone looking for value. A couple of stocks pushed today on what looked like institutional buying but its always buyer beware with anything sporting OTC or PINK, dangerous game with quite a few peddlers pushing stocks.

M

Mountain

Zen - one thing I've been meaning to ask is what type of screening software are you using to find stocks to your liking to play? Only thing I ever used to sort through stocks was TC2000 but probably a bit behind the times.

Anything Pink or OTCBB or whatever you may call that stuff I avoided like the plague...since day 1.