What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

Dudesome

Veteran
Or they can monetize their debt like we are doing. If they start printing then all this will go away for a while. It's working for us. Only thing is they don't seem so gung ho about destroying their currency like we are doing.

Interesting times indeed.

exactly my guess...

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rofl0.jpg

You just can't make this shit up.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
I'd be willing to bet that the Greek Prime Minister's financial advisor is the first one to get the news too, or rumors to be more accurate.

He made a fortune today three times.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You know he is making what he can so he can cash out and haul ass off the sinking ship and go hide somewhere.

Rumor mill and how it moves the market is insane. Insiders are making a killing frontrunning these bombs.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
Some Wild News came through the local paper about China trying to avoid a "Hard landing" being that it has to maintain a 8% growth to keep enough people employed to maintain "it's social and political stability."

It had a 9.5% with Argentina and Indonesia following behind in the April-June Quarter.

Another Professor put a "Hard landing at 50-50"

A Hard landing is a Growth of 5% or less.

The IMF says China is expected to do 9% for 2012.

Growth is slowing worldwide,weakening from a year earlier in 19 of 26 Countries.China accounts for 1/3 this year.

After Europe and anything East gets settled down.It's China's Turn.

Hope it was worth 25 cents that I Paid the paper it's printed on.Since I haven't bought Any newspapers for over 6 months.

:dance013::dance013::ying:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
China has screwed the Neo-Keyensian pooch just like everyone else. Their bubble and problems associated are multiples times worse than the western world.

IMF and EU just pulled aid from Greece until the, now Dec 4th, vote on whether they will stay in the EU or default and abandon the silly monetary experiment. So no $8bil kitty until the vote. Greece will probably run out of cash before then so I'm not sure how that's going to work.

G-Pap has to survive the no confidence vote on Friday. If he goes down and his government falls then............:dunno:

Ireland's Finance Minister reiterated that the ECB must print or Neo-Europe concept will perish.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Italy is withering on the vine. Austerity vote fails. Risk off tomorrow?

Game Over Berlusconi? Italian Anti-Crisis Bill Fails

Europe's core, call it Germany, is now caught in a war of reverse attrition on three fronts: with Greece, with Italy, and as of today, with France. And unfortunately for the European monetary union, Europe, call it Germany, is losing. While the focus continues to be on G-Pap for the second day in a row following his shocking referendum announcement, the real diversion remains Italy, where the government is in as much of a state of chaos as that in Athens, and whose bonds, while not yet trading at Greek levels (remember when the Greek 1 year hit 100% two months ago? Today it is at 225%... and tomorrow the two year will be at 100%), are far, far greater in amount, and the only thing preventing their collapse so far has been the ECB, whose monetizing assistance has been contingent on Italy passing and enforcing austerity measures to deal with its runaway debt to GDP of over 120%. Unfortunately, when BTPs open for trading in 7 hours, the ECB bid may not be there, or any bid for that matter, because as the WSJ reports, "Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi on Wednesday failed to issue growth-boosting measures demanded by European Union authorities ahead of the Group of 20 summit, raising further doubts about the government's willingness to pass economic reforms aimed at restoring investor confidence in the country." Now that the ejection of Greece is virtually certain, perhaps it would be a prudent idea for what little remains of the healthy European core to kick out all the stragglers before everything becomes infected, and before French bonds trade at yields indicative of a sub-IG credit, thus ending the myth of any European union for good?

N

Nondual

This thread really has nothing to do with Short Term Trades in the Stock Market any more and hasn't for awhile.

Let the diatribe and soap box speeches continue. My vote would be to re-title this thread but that ain't gonna happen.

Have fun guys :tiphat:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This was a popular thread so we might as well talk about the market,economy and your speculative stocks.
:tiphat:

Why are you whining? People respond to you when you post your stock picks.

I just called risk off tomorrow. Place your shorts. That's a short term trade homie.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Big financial news trumps any kind of technicals or short term fundamentals used to determine an entry or exit position for any short term trade.

I do think most of this type of news and discussion can be useful in short term trading. Its hard to trade on technicals or fundamentals alone in this type of financial atmosphere, so to trade successfully you must be on alert for the minute to minute news.

Even if you take a position that has technical and fundamental opportunity, there is so much news/rumors coming out the volitility from it is likely to take you out.

Its a circus out there right now, and its entertaining to watch.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Rumor that the Greek referendeum is OFF. EUROPE IS SAVED!! Risk on. EUR?/USD rallying! Europe rallying!

Rumor that G-Pap may resign. Wait, now rumor that he won't resign. Wait rumor of a big Press Conference. Wait Press Conference has been delayed and may not be held. Wait, now no one knows if Press confernce will be held, but it doesn't matter. EUROPE IS SAVED!!!

RISK ON!!

And that was just this morning. Should be a fun day. Risk ON! (note: I'm right 50% of the time. :))

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The chaos coming out of Europe isn't the only big news this morning. Jefferies, another Federal Reserve Primary Dealer is collapsing. The stock has been halted twice already today as the bank runs on the cockroaches intensifies.

Jefferies -20%, Halted, Unhalted, Halted As Market Seems To Have Found The Next MF
UPDATE 3: JEF halted again

UPDATE 2: JEF resumes trading, dead cat bounce

UPDATE: -20% now, halted

Presented without comment suffice to say that while everyone is focusing on Europe, the US may be about to have its second failed Primary Dealer in a week (and to note the cockroach reference from yesterday):
20111103_JEF_0_0.png

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
how typical is this of the globalist?

The Greek PM says "lets have a referendum", then the Greek parliament says, "If you have a referendum, we will vote you out of office and have new elections."

Oh no, let the people decide which hell hole they want to go down, they couldn't possible decide on something like that, after all, its not like its their money we're dealing with here. Oh, wait, yes it is... ...uh... ...we know better than them how to manage their money! Look at how well we've managed so far!

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greece referendum has been CANCELLED, again. This time per AP. Might be for real this time.

Risk on.

Wonder how the Greek people are going to respond? I'm bullish malatov cocktails and civil unrest. Silly G-Pap should know better than to try and give the people a say in their future. Slaves don't get to have a voice. Merkozy may have finally lined him out. "Bad slave, bad slave, get back in your cage."

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
This thread really has nothing to do with Short Term Trades in the Stock Market any more and hasn't for awhile.

Some of the Short term trades became holds from earlier the thread.Pick out a stock from earlier in the thread and it can't be helped if it's a Running Bull all this time.Weekly picks not really necessary unless someone has something to give.It's fun if you want to.

I was watching if you want to know the last 2 weeks are PRE,OXGN,CVI,CMI.

The first 2 the first week and the last two last week beginning the 3rd week for all 4 stocks.Purely good trades if you don't get your butt handed to you by not being experience.:dance013:

My other portfolio is screaming very Bearish so..I can't say yet but..it's been right more than me noticing.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anyone seen the movie "Margin Call"? I haven't made it to the theaters to see it yet.

Big one coming tomorrow from the MF Global collapse. Wonder who is going to make the movie about this one?

MF Global Clients Face Day of Reckoning as Margins Call
CNBC
Call it the mother of all margin calls: Up to 50,000 former customers of bankrupt broker MF Global must find some $1 billion in additional collateral almost overnight, or be forced out of their trades.

Come Friday, with the mass transfer of commodity trading accounts from Jon Corzine's fallen firm to six of its erstwhile rivals, margin clerks will be wrapping up a reckoning of how much additional money is needed to cover millions of positions. Clients who can't quickly meet their margin will have to liquidate, making for a tumultuous day's trade.

A court order to move the trades late on Wednesday brought only marginal relief to clients who have been essentially frozen out of their funds and positions since Friday. While accounts will now be transferred more quickly, only 60 percent of the collateral will be moved to the new brokers.

That figure may yet fluctuate as brokers scramble on Thursday to work out the details, but the net result is still likely to mean that customers will be forced to post a hefty sum within a day or two. Many of MF Global's mainly small-scale clients may fail, triggering a mass liquidation of both short and long positions that may roil markets.

"I've got somewhere in the region of 8,000 positions. We can't afford to double margin those sorts of positions," said Tom Wacker, a proprietary gold futures trader in New York. "If we can't get our positions transferred they're going to be liquidated and we're going to lose a lot of money."

Eventually, in days or weeks, the remainder of the money should be returned. The $600 million that regulators say MF Global may have misappropriated from customers could remain outstanding, but that is less than a tenth of its funds.

In the meantime, however, brokers are unlikely to extend loans to new, unfamiliar customers to make up the margin gap — and in some cases may simply refuse to take them at all.
MF Global may infect the European banks too. Liquidity is getting tight. Dexia, MF Global, Jefferies maybe? Counter-party risk may becoming a problem.

MF Bankruptcy Causes Biggest Foreign Bank Liquidity Scramble To 'Fed Safety' Ever, Harbinger Of Major Eurobank Stress

When Lehman filed for bankruptcy in that fateful week of September 2008, one thing caught everyone's attention: the epic surge in the Fed Reverse Repos originated by "foreign official and international accounts": essentially cash placed at the Fed by foreign institutions in exchange for collateral, primarily in the form of Treasurys, as well as other securities. This is nothing but an immediate cash parking in a 'safe place', which withdraws overall liquidity from the market, and as has been noted elsewhere, serves as an indirect gauge of banking system funding stress. In the week of September 24, this number soared from $46.6 to $93.7 billion, a $44 billion increase, or the single biggest jump in the history of the series. Well, as the chart below demonstrates, what happened with MF Global caught foreign banks, which as we have noted over the past several weeks have been dumping US Treasury and MBS paper, entirely by surprise as they scrambled to withdraw the last traces of available liquidity from the market, and to place as much of it as possible within the safety (and we use the term loosely) of the Fed. In the just released H.4.1 update, foreign Reverse Repos with the Fed soared from $81.3 billion to $124.5 billion, the most ever, and a weekly surge of $43.2 billion, the second largest ever, second only to the Lehman collapse. Furthermore, as noted daily, European banks have been doing precisely that with local cash from non-US subsidiaries, and parking near record amounts with the ECB (today the European central bank disclosed a whopping €253 billion had been deposited with it: just shy of the 2011 high), even as they have been dumping US Treasurys on one hand, and now are forced to repo what little paper they have left with the Fed due to systemic uncertainties in the MF aftermath, one can see why suddenly there was absolutely no liquidity left in the market, and why the meager €3 billion EFSF bond offering, so desperately needed to fund the ongoing Irish bailout and which incidentally is the story of the week, had to be pulled.

Behold the surge in weekly international reverse repos:
Rev%20Repo%20Scramble.jpg

And the total weekly international reverse repo notional: we have a new all time record!
Rev%20Repos%20total.jpg

As the chart below shows, Fed reverse repo notionals are a very distinct leading indicator to the inverse performance of European financial stocks. Considering this, it would stand to reason that European banks are set to have some very turbulent upcoming days, as the money which should be in the market and be used to buoy European fin stocks, is far, far away, parked at some server located at Liberty 33.
20111103_eu%20banks%20vs%20revRP.png

The moral of the story is that the MF Global bankruptcy happened at the worst possible time. On one hand, European banks have been dumping tens of billions of US Treasurys, yet with the aftermath of this primary dealer bankruptcy, they have had to halt such sales and instead pledge USTs as collateral, thereby completely soaking up all incremental liquidity in the market. Recall that reverse repos are used by the Fed as a liquidity absorbing mechanism.

Which means that, all else equal, the pain for European banks, courtesy of the allegedly criminal mismanagement of the company of one Jon Corzine, is about to hit previously unseen levels.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
I was watching if you want to know the last 2 weeks are PRE,OXGN,CVI,CMI.

Pretty Cool day for all these Stock except for OXGN...All finished in the green even with the Dow down -180 and finishing -61.

Usually I carry 2 Portfolios and read off the market between good strong stocks and the momentum stocks or just a bunch of good stocks.One Portfolio is usually in the green and One Portfolio is usually in the red.Today...Both were in the green and it seems buying on the dip might hold true still in the market rather than playing the short side and waiting for the market to fall on it's face.It fell on it's face at 6600.Now it may be just getting up with it's butt first in the air.