What's new

Short term trades in the stock market •$$$$$•

N

Nondual

After the silver and gold debacle recently decided to check back on RIC which I've mentioned before. It's recovered pretty good and back near old highs whereas silver and gold are not even close.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Biggest month for the DOW ever if we close green on Monday! Going to need some more cocaine keep the party going though. Got China White?

Italy gives EU a post-party hangover Financial Times
Italy’s borrowing costs have climbed to euro-era highs just a day after European leaders agreed on a new plan to reverse the region’s spiralling debt crisis, a worrying sign they have failed to regain the confidence of key financial markets.

As striking Italian civil servants massed in central Rome to protest against possible forced redundancies, Italy was forced to pay a record 6.06 per cent at an auction of its benchmark 10-year bonds, up from 5.86 per cent a month ago, despite intervention by the European Central Bank on the open market.

The move comes as European officials have turned to China and Japan for possible funding of the eurozone’s bail-out fund. In Tokyo, Japan’s prime minister, Yoshihiko Noda, told the Financial Times he would like to see “even greater efforts” in Europe to “ease crisis worries by creating a stronger and more detailed approach”.

The world’s third-largest economy remained concerned about possible contagion. “This fire is not on the other side of the river,” Mr Noda said. “Currently, the most important thing is to ensure it does not spread to Asia or the global economy.”

Markets increasingly see Italy as the decisive country for how the eurozone debt crisis plays out.

Economic reform plans presented by Silvio Berlusconi, prime minister, received a cautious welcome at the Brussels summit but have been criticised by investors as both inadequate and beyond the capacity of his weakened centre-right coalition government to put into action.

“Clearly this does not look like a strong vote of confidence in the package,” said Nicola Marinelli, fund manager for Glendevon King Asset Management, commenting on the bond auction. “I think that after the euphoria of Thursday the market is looking for more hard details from Europe.”

With Italy needing to roll over nearly €300bn of its €1,900bn debt mountain next year, Mr Berlusconi is under intense pressure from the EU and ECB to push ahead quickly with measures to lift the stagnating economy and avoid following Greece, Ireland and Portugal in seeking a full-scale bail-out that would be beyond the eurozone’s current firepower.

Efforts to bolster that firepower have prompted Europe to look to Beijing and Tokyo for funding. Klaus Regling, the head of the European financial stability fund, travelled to Beijing on Friday in the hope of persuading China to step up support for the beefed-up fund and is expected to also visit Japan.

Japan currently holds just over 20 per cent of the €10bn in bonds issued by the EFSF, and Mr Noda, who was finance minister until becoming premier last month, signalled that Tokyo would continue to back the expanded fund.

In Italy, Mr Berlusconi insisted there was “no credible alternative” to his government, but called the euro a “strange” currency that “has not convinced anyone”. Mr Berlusconi later issued a statement to clarify his support for the euro which he said was vulnerable to speculative attacks because it was a currency without a government, a state or a central bank of last resort.

The markets’ vote of no-confidence was also felt in Spain where benchmark yields jumped 18 basis points to 5.51 per cent. Italian banks also suffered as European equities lost their post-summit exuberance of Thursday. UniCredit fell by more than 4 per cent while French shares and the euro also declined.

Senior Italian officials at the central bank and Treasury, as well as leading bankers, are also warning Brussels that plans to recapitalise banks have not been properly thought out and risk pushing Italy, and other economies, into recession, by forcing banks to withhold funding from businesses and consumers.

“This situation has not been fully considered and there is a severe risk that half of Europe ends up in recession,” one senior official said.

Further doubts over the eurozone’s proposed rescue fund were raised in Berlin when Germany’s powerful constitutional court issued an injunction that would require the full German Bundestag to approve any urgent bond-buying operations by the European financial stability facility.

The surprise move is not a final decision by the court, but it means that the parliament cannot use a special nine-member subcommittee to take emergency decisions in secret, until the court gives its full ruling – possibly in December.

Eurozone finance ministers have yet to negotiate the final details of ways to “leverage” the €440bn in the EFSF, to give the fund greater financial capacity to enable it to buy bonds in the secondary market. The eurozone summit set a deadline of the end of November to reach agreement, making it unlikely that the fund will be ready to take such action in the near future.
Governor and ex-CEO of Government Sachs John Corzine's MF Global has collapsed. Their bonds have been rated junk. They have to sell themselves by Monday.

Dexia and now MF. Two pretty big dominoes.

Last edited:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
MF Global Put Up for Sale, This Weekend Only
MF Global is racing to sell itself before the markets reopen on Monday, with its stock and bond prices nearly in a free fall.
api.asp

The pressures on MF Global, a commodities and derivatives brokerage firm, and its chief executive, Jon S. Corzine — once the chief of Goldman Sachs and a former New Jersey governor — are enormous. With two major credit ratings agencies having cut their ratings on the firm to junk status, a sale of some kind appears to be MF Global’s only hope for survival.

In the space of only a week, MF Global has shed two-thirds of its market value. Its shares plunged 16 percent on Friday to $1.20, after having briefly dipped below $1 earlier in the day. And its five-year bonds tumbled to 49 cents, according to data from Trace research service.

By Friday afternoon, MF Global executives had become focused on selling the entire firm by Sunday evening, according to a person briefed on the matter who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the discussions were private. Other possibilities, including a sale of just its futures brokerage arm, remained on the table but were becoming less likely.

So far, MF Global has identified fewer than five suitors, a list that includes other brokerage, banking and private equity firms, this person said. Yet while the goal remained to strike a deal before the markets resumed on Monday, it is possible that a deal won’t be reached.

Speculation grew on Friday about who would be interested in buying some or all of MF Global. Several major banks have considered making a bid, especially if they could buy the firm’s well-regarded futures brokerage operations at a low enough price, according to people briefed on the matter. But it was unclear whether any would make a formal offer.

A spokeswoman for MF Global, Tiffany Galvin, declined to comment.

By Friday afternoon, MF Global still had sufficient liquidity to finance its operations, having drawn down a $1.3 billion revolving credit facility, this person added. While more clients had moved their money to other brokerage firms, this person said that the amount remained in the low single digits.

That may not matter if the firm cannot reach a sale over the weekend. While major exchanges around the world said on Friday that MF Global remained a member in good standing, clients and trading partners are generally wary of doing business with a junk-rated brokerage firm.

On Friday, analysts and industry executives were gloomy about MF Global’s survival prospects.

“We continue to believe that in this market environment, selling the entire business could be challenging,” Niamh Alexander, an analyst with Keefe, Bruyette & Woods, wrote in a research note.

For now, the firm is focused on selling itself rather than preparing for any sort of bankruptcy filing, the person briefed on the matter said.

One thing is clear: Any outcome would spell the end of Mr. Corzine’s tenure atop MF Global. He became the firm’s chief executive last year, returning to the financial sector for the first time in more than a decade after having been ousted as Goldman Sachs’s chief executive in 1999.

Mr. Corzine’s chief goal was to transform MF Global into a full-fledged investment bank, in large part by taking on riskier trading using the firm’s own capital. The strategy backfired, however. In the year and a half since Mr. Corzine took over, the firm has earned money in only two out of six quarters.

Among the biggest millstones around the firm’s neck is the $6.3 billion worth of bonds issued by Italy, Spain, Belgium, Ireland and Portugal that it holds. Analysts became uneasy with those holdings as Europe’s debt crisis deepened, culminating in the initial credit rating downgrade by Moody’s Investors Service on Monday.

MF Global’s problems were exacerbated with its announcement of a $186 million loss for its second quarter on Tuesday. By Thursday, Moody’s and another agency, Fitch Ratings, had officially cut the firm’s credit rating to junk status.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Might make for an interesting Monday. Wonder what the systemic fallout will be if any? His firm sucked. Counter party risk may still be a problem though.

Maybe Zimbabwe will bail them out, eh? lol

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Harvard Professor even says we needs more hopium than this BS "Europe is Saved" headline from Merkozy.
The weaknesses of Europe’s common currency area, ranging from its design to a persisting dearth of bank funding and anemic economic growth, weren’t properly addressed in the measures revealed yesterday to stem investor panic, said Harvard University economist Kenneth Rogoff and Jonathan Loynes at Capital Economics Ltd. in London.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well.......

MF Global filed for bankruptcy today (Lehman 2.0?).

The Europe funny farm bailout that was announced to save the world is now being laughed at by the markets. Contagion continues to spread throughout the EU bond complex despite the lame attempts by politicians to control the market through mere rhetoric.

ECB intervened today to monetize Italy and Spain's bonds due to the sell off. Japan intervened in the Yen last night and has retraced 75% of a 8 standard deviation move. Hilarious.

CDS are now worthless since the ISDA has said that the Greek 50% "haircut" is NOT a credit event. Merkel has destroyed that market. Bonds are going to die as a result IMO.

Should be fun. Europe must print or die. Stay frosty.

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Print or die. That's all it comes down to. He who prints last laughs. Or something like that.

Still getting a good laugh at this 50% Greek haircut... that isn't actually 50% or even a haircut. Just wait 'til the Greeks hear about the pension fund that wants 8bil Euro back from them!

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gold took a hit. The traders have to sell their gold to raise cash to cover their stock positions and it lowers gold price, or something like that. A real confidence booster for me when they have to sell their 'real' money to cover the speculative 'money'.

Anyways, I am gonna get off the fence and add to my GLD position( got in at around $400 an oz.) as of tonight. Will see how that goes....

N

Nondual

Gold took a hit. The traders have to sell their gold to raise cash to cover their stock positions and it lowers gold price, or something like that. A real confidence booster for me when they have to sell their 'real' money to cover the speculative 'money'.

Anyways, I am gonna get off the fence and add to my GLD position( got in at around $400 an oz.) as of tonight. Will see how that goes....
Cool to see someone talking about the topic of this thread...Short Term Trades in the Stock Market.

First gold in general...

picture.php

...then a gold stock holding up quite well and probably will take off when gold takes off again...

picture.php

Anyone else dealing with 'Short Term Trades in the Stock Market' and not focused on macro economic conditions/situations? I remember when Long Term Capital got some headlines...then it was something else...then something else.

nukklehead

long on UNG... imo.. not that Im a pro but have been doing ok playing the volatility game.. england to import TONS more propane and who knows.. ??? Hoping for a bad winter (sorry) Natural gas is at its cheapest in a long time.. thats how I played the VIX in August and did pretty good. But dont listen to me.. I just grow pot and work for a living:tiphat:

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Europe and US markets are melting down again. Last month's melt up on BS Euro headlines is retracing as reality sets in. So much for managing perception with empty rhetoric.

Greek political structure is imploding. They are going to hold a referendum on what will amount to be a vote on them staying in the Euro. If they leave then the Euro will collapse quickly IMO.

Euro bond spreads are widening despite monetization by the ECB.

1Yr Greek paper is at 200%. :biglaugh:

Fall out and contagion from the collapse of MF Global is spreading.

Yawn.

Last edited:

zenoonez

Veteran
I didn't understand at all the huge upswing in the market over the past month, it doesn't seem to make sense considering the situation Europe is in... As for Greece exiting the Eurozone, it makes sense, they were in a better situation before the Euro and they will be better off without it. I think the Eurozone would be stronger footing if Greece and some of the economically weaker countries exited. There are really only two options, the Eurozone becomes a more unified system under a central authority and continues as a two tier system with Germany and France at the top and the Portugal, Greece, Spain, Italy group lagging behind on their coattails or the Eurozone retracts and requires economic sustainability as a qualification for entrance. Well I guess three options, they could just fold and go back to their original currencies. Lolz. Interesting time to live right now in that regard.

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I didn't understand at all the huge upswing in the market over the past month, it doesn't seem to make sense considering the situation Europe is in... As for Greece exiting the Eurozone, it makes sense, they were in a better situation before the Euro and they will be better off without it. I think the Eurozone would be stronger footing if Greece and some of the economically weaker countries exited. There are really only two options, the Eurozone becomes a more unified system under a central authority and continues as a two tier system with Germany and France at the top and the Portugal, Greece, Spain, Italy group lagging behind on their coattails or the Eurozone retracts and requires economic sustainability as a qualification for entrance. Well I guess three options, they could just fold and go back to their original currencies. Lolz. Interesting time to live right now in that regard.
Or they can monetize their debt like we are doing. If they start printing then all this will go away for a while. It's working for us. Only thing is they don't seem so gung ho about destroying their currency like we are doing.

Interesting times indeed.

Dudesome

Veteran
Or they can monetize their debt like we are doing. If they start printing then all this will go away for a while. It's working for us. Only thing is they don't seem so gung ho about destroying their currency like we are doing.

Interesting times indeed.
yaman

Latest posts

Latest posts