What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shame on the NFL

Green Squall

Buffalo Bills offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson was suspended 10 games Tuesday for a second violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

Henderson, 24, missed the first four games of the season for his initial violation of the substance abuse policy. Henderson's agent, Brian Fettner, told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter in September that the positive test was triggered because Henderson was using medical marijuana to treat Crohn's disease, an inflammatory condition that affects the digestive system.

After serving his four-game suspension, Henderson has appeared in just one game this season -- in a reserve role. Jordan Mills has started all 11 games this season for the Bills at right tackle.

Henderson tested positive for marijuana at the NFL combine in 2014, a source told Schefter. He also was suspended for failed drug tests while playing at Miami. His history with substance abuse caused some teams to remove him from their draft boards.

Henderson missed the final five games of last season after he was diagnosed with Crohn's disease. The third-year tackle told The Palm Beach Post in August that he underwent surgery in January to remove 2½ feet of his intestines, resulting in him losing almost 50 pounds and having to wear an ileostomy bag until his intestines were reattached in April. He is on a strict diet that prevents him from eating gluten or certain vegetables.

Henderson discussed medical marijuana use in treating Crohn's disease during an interview with The Buffalo News in October.

"I've got doctors telling me this is the No. 1 medicine that would help your disease," Henderson told the newspaper. "You try to tell that to the league, and it seems like they didn't care too much."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18165645/buffalo-bills-ot-seantrel-henderson-suspended-10-games-violating-substance-abuse-policy

Last edited by a moderator:

Levitationofme

Not really a shame.
Playing football especially on the pro level means you have agreed to the rules
which UNFORTUNATELY do not give any player a pass to use medical.
That is the issue. You sign an agreement to follow the rules or you are fined and such.

Do not feel bad about this guy. It was his choice. He decided to buck the system. Perhaps a self immolation to try and stand up for the rights of Cannabis users.

Its the same as if he took banned steroids to fix a physical issue.

It does not matter if his doctors say its the best med for crohn's. It's banned

Obvious it is bad rule, Opiates far worse but it's what's allowed now.

I know several football players and ex executives. Cannabis use is rampant in the NFL. there is only 1 test a year. You are generally warned of it as well. Once you screw up, that is over and you are HOSED.

NFL operates in many different locations. It is problematic at best.
Legal in Colorado to buy bud and smoke it. But Beware if you are a
Bronco, or a visiting player.

I manage a bunch of people in my real life. We also have the same rule. BUT I DO NOT ENFORCE IT!
The reality is if someone wants to get high on the job, they can hide it easily. Vape Pens, one hitters and all the fun stuff available.
I can't stop it, and if I were an asshole and tried to be a fricken cop I would be wasting my time.

I warn my guys that if there is an accident and they end up in hospital, 1 blood test with positive result can void the responsibility of worker's comp insurance.

Green Squall

Don't feel bad? I do. Poor guy has to choose between his career and health. Cannabis use and crohns isn't just about pain relief. It can help put you into remission.

It was a risk and he made the decision. I get that, but it still sucks.

Hopefully the rules with change sometime soon. There was a good Vice episode on this subject not too long ago. Apparently, besides treating the aches and pains that are so common in football, cannabis can also treat and prevent cte related injuries. Not to mention, like you said, is a far safer alternative to opiates which we all know are addictive and dangerous.

http://www.vice.com/read/a-deeper-look-at-how-and-why-nfl-players-use-weed

The NFL needs to change its stance, especially in light of all the concussions. Cannabis might be the one thing after helmets that allows these players to live normal lives while being smashed in the head on Sunday

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
As an avid Bills fan I was irked that he missed the first four games due to suspension. I was of the mi d set that there is plenty of off season to get baked. You have a job to do, get clean.

Then the Crohnes came out and I now do not fault the guy for smoking, he needs it. The stupid league needs to pull their asses out of their heads and get educated. There is plenty of scientific evidence and patient histories to prove cannabis helps crohnes disease.

I can understand auto racing, but who cares if a guy plays stick and ball sports high??

Go Bills !!!!!!

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
The dumbest argument for any issue is that "you knew the rules and broke them, tough shit".

Bad rules should be broken, as said above having to choose between your health and a document you signed is a violation of your rights. The Canadian Supreme Court has ruled that having to choose between life and liberty (ie between your health and right to choose) violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and is the equivalent of what US citizens call "Unconstitutional".

Football is a game, nothing more, nothing less... sure these guys do it for a living, but forcing someone to abandon their right to the most effective healthcare treatment so they can follow the rules and earn a living is unethical.

Fuck the NFL.

Green Squall

Rob Gronkowski just had another surgery. His 7th at only 27 years old. He probably has more pain pills than he needs, yet if he smokes some weed he will be suspended.

Fuck the hypocritical NFL. Their ratings have been falling and rightfully so.

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
The dumbest argument for any issue is that "you knew the rules and broke them, tough shit".

Bad rules should be broken, as said above having to choose between your health and a document you signed is a violation of your rights. The Canadian Supreme Court has ruled that having to choose between life and liberty (ie between your health and right to choose) violates the Charter of Rights and Freedoms and is the equivalent of what US citizens call "Unconstitutional".

Football is a game, nothing more, nothing less... sure these guys do it for a living, but forcing someone to abandon their right to the most effective healthcare treatment so they can follow the rules and earn a living is unethical.

Fuck the NFL.

Rog will PROTECT THE SHIELD and all the associated ad dollars to the death. The NFL is all about the money above anything else, player's health be damned! He has proved that year after year during his role as commissioner.

Rob Gronkowski just had another surgery. His 7th at only 27 years old. He probably has more pain pills than he needs, yet if he smokes some weed he will be suspended. Fuck the hypocritical NFL. Their ratings have been falling and rightfully so.

But all the pics and related stories of Gronk partying drunk off his ass are OK with the league.

Just sad, as DT would say.

t99

Veteran
Wait until random hair follicle testing becomes the standard and you can't study for your whiz quiz. Don't feel bad, you knew they tested when you took the job. It was your choice.

Latest posts

Latest posts