What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sexing Seeds by Eyeball

ahortator

Veteran
This is a clasic recurrent topic :D

Cannabis_F_or_M.jpg

I wonder why people want to avoid males as hell. I can't make seeds because I use to get only females.

M

member 505892

I've heard you can tell if you pay special attention to the hinge end of the seed.

If you look really closely, 100x magnification you can see a tiny tiny little penis. (Uncircumcised)

Occaisionally you will come across seeds that are quite well hung, those seeds don't require magnification. :biggrin:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it? A member on here mentioned being able to tell sex by stem rub up to like 80% efficiency... So is the subtle cues or just a permission some have not a thing... I watched a old man several years ago place roughly 100 seeds on a table grab a magnify glass check the bottoms or tops of each seed, he then picked ten and said those are my females for the year and he had 10/10 female.... And no they were not feminized the old man wouldn't have a clue as to doing that or even want to.

This is in no way the same. Aroma traits play a much bigger role. Being able to do this takes decades of growing experience. Males def give off a different smell IMO. Sexing seeds by looks is BS. The odds are 50/50 so getting it right half the time isn't hard.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Bit of a stem rub... sniff your fingers... do you want to smoke it. Boys tend to just smell green. A slightly acrid monotonous smell. While the girls have a number of aromas going on, that you would want to find in your bud.

One exception is the Mazar which smells almost male to me anyway. It's the only weed I don't like. I found the same in a sk#1 x low rider I did. Binned it in disgust lol I would rather smoke cabbage.

OldSSSCGuy

I've heard you can tell if you pay special attention to the hinge end of the seed.

If you look really closely, 100x magnification you can see a tiny tiny little penis. (Uncircumcised)

That is almost exactly what he shows with his advanced computer graphics in the video:

SexingBullshit.jpg

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
An over-pass, fried eggs and a superman emblem?

Fuck he's good lol

LizardMan

HammerHead im not saying I believe in either of the mentioned above ways or ideas on sexing. I was trying to play a little devils advocate.

I find watching each plant grow and make small decisions of their quality (structure, smell, leaf shape, root structure). Then once they have hit sexual maturity by age (Almost all will show there are the odd stubborn ones who take some convincing) the organs show and then its upto me to keep or cull...

Its fool proof just takes some time.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Here's all I 'know' about sexing cannabis plants.
1. Females usually show first.
2. If I see super thin 'hairs', I KNOW it's a female.
3. In general, males are taller.
4. Males are very observably males long before there's any danger of accidentally pollinating all your females.
5. The odds of a plant turning hermaphrodite are super slim- I've never ever had a problem like that.

And that's about it.

GoatCheese

Veteran
Bit of a stem rub... sniff your fingers... do you want to smoke it. Boys tend to just smell green. A slightly acrid monotonous smell. While the girls have a number of aromas going on, that you would want to find in your bud.

One exception is the Mazar which smells almost male to me anyway. It's the only weed I don't like. I found the same in a sk#1 x low rider I did. Binned it in disgust lol I would rather smoke cabbage.

This is not true. You can’t pick males vs females by smell.
Many times the loudest and nicest smelling plant, that I wished to be a female, turned out to be a male.
And the stem rub smell on male plants can be just as complex as females.
Peace

Cloneman

Veteran
So, you get your new expensive seeds in their shiny packaging, open it up and check them for volcanoes, penises, vaginas, adams apple, shaved legs, deep voice, overpass, fried eggs, superman emblem and as a last resort you smell them.

Is that correct?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Many times the loudest and nicest smelling plant, that I wished to be a female, turned out to be a male.
Peace

I can't imagine it would work for everybody. People presume we all have similar abilities to smell things, but it's far from it. 25% of Americans are classed as non-tasters which itself means I can't make a blanket statement. Only 50% of us have an ability that can be grouped together and called normal. We all think we are in that group until tested as we don't know anything else. Then we have the remaining 25%. The Supertasters. With abilities as much as 100 times higher than the non-taster group. Now we all think we are in that group. Because there is nothing we can taste that we haven't tasted.

I have been tested and found to be in the top 20% so if 4 out of 5 people can't pick it out as well as I can, then that's perfectly on the odds.

I have a high degree of accuracy from rubbing stems. A friend came round and did it and got all my seeds right. I was gobsmacked. Then tried it myself and found myself wondering how I had never just sniffed at them before.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Peace

I disagree, It def takes a lot of experience growing males to catch on to that specific odor. I've been doing it for 45 years, Try it from here on out and put F or M on the tag and see how good you can get. I've been pretty good at detecting males from their smell. Males can smell good or skunky. These are not the Aroma's you are trying to detect.. There's always that male terp added. You will have to grow a shit ton of males to figure out what that smells like.

OldSSSCGuy

So, you get your new expensive seeds in their shiny packaging, open it up and check them for volcanoes, penises, vaginas, adams apple, shaved legs, deep voice, overpass, fried eggs, superman emblem and as a last resort you smell them.

Is that correct?

You forgot needing to rub your belly clockwise under a full moon whilst kicking a puppy and chanting nonsensically.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I disagree, It def takes a lot of experience growing males to catch on to that specific odor. I've been doing it for 45 years, Try it from here on out and put F or M on the tag and see how good you can get. I've been pretty good at detecting males from their smell. Males can smell good or skunky. These are not the Aroma's you are trying to detect.. There's always that male terp added. You will have to grow a shit ton of males to figure out what that smells like.

F-E says males smell ”green” and you claim they have a ”male terp”.

Well, the males I have grown really do smell just like females. Plants are plants to me. Male plants have a smell whether some % of Americans can pick out those smells or not. I can and that’s all I know and that’s all that matters to me.

I’m doing a BXing project with my CBD Critical Cure and terps/aroma is one very important factor I base my selection on. = Mandarin/citrus from the NYCD side and then I want the certain hashish smell from Super Skunk (Afg-T) on the males I pick. If I can get strawberry notes to go with that, the happier I am.
And I really can’t tell if the plant will be a female or a male before I see pre-flowers just by stem rub smell in veg. Lucky me, the best ones that fit the type I’m looking for have been males, thou there are other things I look for also, ofcourse.

I have smelled maybe, i dunno, 150-200 of these plants in veg out of 600+ seeds (i cull alot of plants away as young seedlings), and males and females have had just as loud and complex aromas on these seeds.

Some of the aromas on my Bx project males: Mandarin/citrus, hash, diesel, pine, strawberry, different types of perfume, onions, apricots, skunky, spicey and what else
..so they most certainly aren’t just “green”.

And no, I have no idea what this “male terp” should smell like. And I’m too busy going thru these seeds in a one room apartment, in small cabs, and I don’t have much interests to guessing games, because my experience is with my own different lines and commercial strains that I can’t pick male vs females just by smelling them in veg = sometimes the nicest/loudest/most complex smelling plant is a male, sometimes a female.

One thing you should note is that the smell in vegging plants develop even after they have shown pre-flowers. Many times plants will have more complex smells around say 70 days than they did around day 40 after germination. Another thing is, being root bound/stressed state will make them smell bland but week or two after you repotted them to a larger container they get stronger smell.

Maybe I have a special smelling ability, I dunno. I doubt it, and if you guys go thru the boards people are talking about different kinds of smells on their male plants too quite often. Some males from Haze hybrids have had Haze terps on them, males from UK Cheese hybrids have had UK Cheese terps on them and so on. At least on the plants I’ve grown.

..But this all is abit off topic and this is all i really have to say about this anyways
Peace

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
F-E says males smell ”green” and you claim they have a ”male terp”.

Well, the males I have grown really do smell just like females. Plants are plants to me. Male plants have a smell whether some % of Americans can pick out those smells or not. I can and that’s all I know and that’s all that matters to me.

I’m doing a BXing project with my CBD Critical Cure and terps/aroma is one very important factor I base my selection on. = Mandarin/citrus from the NYCD side and then I want the certain hashish smell from Super Skunk (Afg-T) on the males I pick. If I can get strawberry notes to go with that, the happier I am.
And I really can’t tell if the plant will be a female or a male before I see pre-flowers just by stem rub smell in veg. Lucky me, the best ones that fit the type I’m looking for have been males, thou there are other things I look for also, ofcourse.

I have smelled maybe, i dunno, 150-200 of these plants in veg out of 600+ seeds (i cull alot of plants away as young seedlings), and males and females have had just as loud and complex aromas on these seeds.

Some of the aromas on my Bx project males: Mandarin/citrus, hash, diesel, pine, strawberry, different types of perfume, onions, apricots, skunky, spicey and what else
..so they most certainly aren’t just “green”.

And no, I have no idea what this “male terp” should smell like. And I’m too busy going thru these seeds in a one room apartment, in small cabs, and I don’t have much interests to guessing games, because my experience is with my own different lines and commercial strains that I can’t pick male vs females just by smelling them in veg = sometimes the nicest/loudest/most complex smelling plant is a male, sometimes a female.

One thing you should note is that the smell in vegging plants develop even after they have shown pre-flowers. Many times plants will have more complex smells around say 70 days than they did around day 40 after germination. Another thing is, being root bound/stressed state will make them smell bland but week or two after you repotted them to a larger container they get stronger smell.

Maybe I have a special smelling ability, I dunno. I doubt it, and if you guys go thru the boards people are talking about different kinds of smells on their male plants too quite often. Some males from Haze hybrids have had Haze terps on them, males from UK Cheese hybrids have had UK Cheese terps on them and so on. At least on the plants I’ve grown.

..But this all is abit off topic and this is all i really have to say about this anyways
Peace

What I post is my experience. It's not a claim it's a fact. None ever claimed it was 100%. 80% is damn good IMO. You obviously don't have the experience yet to tell, you may never be able to detect it. You can choose to blow it off without even trying it's up to you.

HammerHead im not saying I believe in either of the mentioned above ways or ideas on sexing. I was trying to play a little devils advocate.

I find watching each plant grow and make small decisions of their quality (structure, smell, leaf shape, root structure). Then once they have hit sexual maturity by age (Almost all will show there are the odd stubborn ones who take some convincing) the organs show and then its upto me to keep or cull...

Its fool proof just takes some time.

I agree, it takes decades to get used to the aroma males produces. Not everyone can even detect that aroma. If it works for some that's great.

rigoletto

actually there's an italian hemp company with deep academic roots claiming to be able to separate female seeds from male ones using a proprietary chemical-physical based approach, pricing their service up to 1 euro for each screened seed of a small batch (expect to pay different relative price/seed for larger quantities)