What's new

Setting up my small SOG hybrid LED/HID tent

jcmjrt

I've been running a combo of LED and fluorescent and was happy with the result...but I've never run an HID/LED combo. I think it makes sense that these could work well together too. I made a couple of nice fixtures and will be replacing the fluorescent that I had with the diy LEDs for next time round.

Next winter I may try an HID along with the LEDs as I had to add a heater to the grow room this winter. We're already warming up so it won't be for a while if I do but I hate paying for just heat when I could be getting some light out of the power/electrical bill too. BTW, I think the light mover is a great idea...whether it be for the HPS or the LEDs. Leverage your lights for as much as they'll give you and LEDs in particular really only grow what is right under them (much like T5 panels) and a few inches to the sides. I have a spectral spinner that I use with my LEDs.

When you are talking 180 watts is that what the manufacturer called it or is that actual watts drawn for the panel? If it's like most, a named 180 watt panel may be only around 100 real watts drawn...and it would certainly make a huge difference on figuring final grams/watt yield.

Your plants certainly look good.

DocZ

xxx-cellent grow!
With flower finishing like that, i bet they are really tasty and aromatic, compared to a warmer finish with HPS that would degrade the THC and terpenes that build-up..:biggrin:
I read the whole thread to make sure, but figured the LEDs were on sometime (3 weeks?) after flipping?
Looks like you need another tent to do a HPS vs LED solo comparison; but I agree that U cud boost a LOT more size and density with a hybrid set-up.
At what hours/day do U think your faster genetic choices could trigger and finish? More energy hours per cycle would add to production also, and result in a better GPW number too...:)
Good Job man! :tiphat:

Desert Hydro

Veteran
thanks everyone! it was a fun learning experience. LED is definitely cool tech. some day i will invest in some BIG panels that will be up in the 3/4lb yield range haha.

for now i have some nice pics of some frosty nugs. everything turned out great except for the jackberry. super leafy and not dense at all. the others all showed great promise even under low wattage. i will do a big run with the chemmy for sure. it was the stand out of the bunch. the POG turned out great. trying to decide which pheno i want but i think i know now. shorter, more branchy plant that i think will yield loads under HID.

first pic is POG and second is chemmy with its rotting meat funk in all its glory!

Attachments

• P1011874.jpg
    P1011874.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 11
  • P1011876.jpg
    P1011876.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 10

Desert Hydro

Veteran
ive made my selections on which i am gonna keep. the chemmy and the POG number 2. both are special but that chemmy is something else. i had it drying in my room in the corner in a box and for the last 4 days i keep smelling rotting meat funk all night long. i would wake up asking myself WTF is that?! and then i would remember and go back to sleep haha. i hope it tastes better than the meat dumpster it smells like :)

Desert Hydro

Veteran
so on the AK side i got just at 2.5oz under 180w. that puts me at .38888889 gpw lol. not too good but its about the same as ive gotten off of HID lately because of issues. i will say the chemmy turned out solid hard under the LED but the AK did not and the AK is usually rock hard. i guess its gonna be strain dependent with the smaller arrays. maybe next round will be a mixture of small HPS and LED. i will get weights on the others as they dry

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i just checked the others. i got about 12g off one POG, 14g off the other and 21 off the chemmy. the jackberry came in ~ 3.5 lol. super leafy and not very awesome. the chemmy kicked some ass. i will be holding on to her for sure as well as the POG higher yielder.

so that brings it to about 50 on the seed run side with 4 plants and 70 from 6 ak on the other side. 4zips of high quality popcorn perfect for personal stash! it looks superb. im happy to an extent but i want to do more experimenting with mixing in a small HID, like a 250 or so.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I'm glad to hear that you've got some nice buds from your HID/LED grow. It was nice to see everything grow with the regular updates too. What kind of changes will you be making in your next grow?

-Funk

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i wont be doing any more micro grows thats for sure haha.ive got big plans and i can only have a certain number of plants so im going big. ive got a buddy who wants to start a mini grow and i am gonna let him borrow the LED's so he can start up for free since money is tight. share the love.

i am switching over to hydro vert/bare bulb in my new place if it goes through. ive got a 12x12 room that i am gonna hook up my mini split and run 3-4 600w and do wire donuts around the light. sealed room, Co2, the works. i am either gonna modify my current system of ebb and grow buckets to fit the donuts or build a PPK system from scratch. either way, be on the look out for a 12 big plant grow in the vert section!!

ive started up some bad ass genetics to work with and im real excited about what the new setup is gonna do