What's new

Sergeant's got a brand new cab

hazydreams

Bueller Buellller...... is this thing on....

sarge i know you got those flexi stones. lets see this thing running! and maybe a static test with no plants to see what the temps are going to be like after you finish the citral......

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Funny you say that. The stones arrived a day ahead of time so last night I did a static test on the 0-5-10 nute solution outside of the cab since the girls are finising up inside.
Just watching pH rise from aeration and temp rise over time. Nothing major to report.

I gave the girls a much needed haircut tonight, dropping a lot of the bigger fan leaves up top. Trichs are still mostly cloudy with some clear. Temps in the cab went up by a degree with fewer leaves.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
if youre going to use GH for your Lucas make sure you get 1qt of M and a 2qt of bloom... better yet a gallon.

You can play with the ratios a lil bit too... say week 6 on a 8 or 9wk strain, you can lower the MICRO amount and leave the BLOOM amount the same. This will save some $$ and it's good to lower N in late flower...

Also, be safe and grab a small bag of MaxiBloom for emergency. 7grams or 1tsp is LUCAS too.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
UPDATE

UPDATE

Hello felow micro heads. Been away too long?

Well I chopped down the citral girls on Monday (61 days 12/12). Yield was not impressive. Wet weight was 44g from one and 38g from the other.
Due to the low humidity here (20%), they are already in jars with hygrometers. Both are in the 65-70% range right now getting burped 2-3 times a day. There was another 56g of trim and popcorn which has already dried to 11g for later use making iso.
I left a the lower 2-3 nodes on the higher yielder of the 2 and re-potted the girl for a run at re-vegging. She's under two 23w CFLs in the speaker box getting 24/0.
After I tore apart the soil mix in the 5 gallon grow bag, it appears my root mass didn't spread much after I joined both plants into one container. I think I left them in the pots they were vegged in too long and the girls got rootbound. There was very little rootmass in the soil I added after they showed sex.
One of the perils of soil I guess.

Now onto better things.

I was looking at my sad looking clones tonight and noticed some green color in the perlite surrounding the rapid rooters. I decided to pull the rooters from the perlite and put the rooters in opaque cups to prevent algae growth. When I pulled the rooters from the cup I found this.

picture.php

Wohoo. Two of three have sprouted legs. Time to get these babes rockin.

Since the chop, I have been doing some more beta testing on the cab watching res temps under a 18/6 light, as Hazy suggested.
The cab was empty and the res was full, so I put the rooters in net pots and away we go.

picture.php

Right now, the res has 2 gallons of tap (pH 5.6, EC 475 uS) with a flexible airstone looping around the perimeter and a 3" disc bubbler in the middle. Res temps are stable after 2 days of 18/6 at 64F. I suspect they will slowly creep up, but since the floor of the cab is 65F, I don't think it will get much higher.

What do you guys think is best for nutes and light, considering their size and (lack of) development?
Should I kill the 150 HPS for now, and just use the 6500k 85w CFLs until they get going?
18/6, 20/4, 24/0?
Plain tap, light lucas?

I know they look sad, but maybe in a couple of weeks we'll have a need for the screen.

Hope everybody is doing well.

hazydreams

Sarge:

When i drop my clones the water is usually around 400-600ppm of nutrient. I try to keep the PH around 5.7-6.0 until they drop roots and get established. then i run the ppms up to around 800 to get them established and 900-1100 at full throttle. rember to add your base nutirent first and any addatives like cal mag afterwards because it will effect the total ppm.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
How about lighing?
They were cloned under 46w of cfl 24/0.
Should I keep them on 24/0 until I see some vegetative growth or let them run under 18/6 under the 320w of mixed spectrum?

hazydreams

my clones never see CFL's so i cant speak to their effects on the clones, i clone under a 150w mh and then direct into the 400 room baking them with light. they dont seem to mind.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
I thought I'd share some temperature mapping I did today.
These little gizmos are pretty cool. About $45 online. Who doesn't like squeezing a trigger?

picture.php

Looks like someone has got a bead on the Sgt. Good thing he's cool as a cucumber.

Attached is a pdf showing the different temps inside the cab after being closed up for the last 8 hours.

As you would think, temps rise higher up in the cab since hot air rises.
Remember folks. Intake on the bottom and exhaust on the top.

Looks like my circulation fan is blowing the heat of the bulbs across the cab towards the scrubber. Some of the heat is being removed by the scrubber. The remainder is dropping down the right side and is mixing with cooler intake air before being sucked up the left side and starting it's journey all over again.

BTW, The hot spot on the back wall between the screws is my HPS ballast mounted on the outside.

Later

Attachments

• Cab Temp Map.pdf
    238.7 KB · Views: 43

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Not much happening here. Roots are starting to spread in the hydroton. Haven't dropped out of the pots yet.
Still no signs of vegetative growth but the roots are spreading, so I'm hopeful.

hazydreams

i just realized i flaked on a question you asked a while back... lol sorry man. 24/0 sounds good to me. i should have answered weeks ago... damn the haze works too well.