What's new

Sergeant's got a brand new cab

Wow man, I am truly impressed with your toilet flange solution to mounting a 120mm fan to a scrubber. I struggled with that issue for so long until I caved in and bought a very large panasonic whisper quiet.

Is it fully lightproof? Very, very cool!

Endur

Veteran
What's Good Sgt.Stedenko,
Cabinet looks super clean.
I have two identical to yours, one for veg, one for flower.
Cant wait to see it rocking, with some healthy girls.
Peace
Endur

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Carforce and Endur,
Glad to see you.
The cab is 100% lightproof.
Panasonic fans are the shit. My exhauster PC fan is a Panny. Powerful and quiet.
I cannot wait for the fucking clones to grow some legs so I can get this baby rocking.
Peace

hazydreams

stedenko,

nice job on the build. those plants are going to love you for the HPS and the Hydro! For the screening i used 1x1 inch mesh from the home cheepo. they also make the larger stuff which is 2x2 or 2.5 <- should have used this. the larger screen makes it easier to manipulate the branches if you've (me) been lazy and didn't pull them through the day they poked up. either one will work its just a matter of how attentive you have to be.

Thoughts on the SWC air stone. I prefer disk diffusers or the flexible stones that you can bend. Why? well the one you have, i have a stacks of. wally mart specials. they seem to work well initially but after maybe a month they are already clogging from the nutrient buildup and the air flow goes down. IT WILL WORK!, dont go and throw it away, i just found the eco plus flexible stones and the disk diffusers work better for longer is all.

the nuts that you used to fasten the screen frame to the lid, are they metal? i cant tell from the picture. if so, can them and get plastic ones! metal is bad mojo for hydro. you will get droplets forming on the lid and it will contact the nuts and fall back into the res. will it affect the plants? :dunno: how longs a peice of string? i wouldnt chance it.

the things i listed are very very small things man. you got this down. Im really interested in how effective your insulation will be. i figure if you can keep the temps in the water below 72* you should be fine! my SWC set up, not pictured on the net for various reasons, sorry, during the summer runs consistenly over 77* water temp, black buckets like that infared heat.. while i wouldnt suggest this to anyone, it runs well with little to no rot occuring during the summer months. your mileage will vary!

Keep it going man. how long till we see clones!!!!

EDIT:: one other thing man! depending on how much bubble action you have in the res, you might want to consider sealing the top lid to the res with a gasket of silicone using the vaseline trick. i've used the rubber maids before and always had an annoying drip, then i sealed the lid, no drip, then i said to hell with rubber maid and now use 5 gallon buckets.

Last edited:

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Hazy,
Thanks for the additional input.
I'm going to Casa DePot tomorrow. I'll look for some screening and plastic locknuts.
The metal ones I used aren't really necessary since you have to thread the adapters through the lid to get them to seat. I put them there for insurance, but didn't think about the metal interacting with the nutes.
Did you use a metal screen or plastic. I'm a cheap bastard so I'm thinking whatever is cheapest is for me. I've seen people use orange construction fence, chicken wire, hardware cloth, trellis cloth, etc.
I took clones from the Citral girls about 3 weeks ago (3 weeks into flower) and placed the cuts in water filled plastic cups beneath a 13w T5 flouro. I also took another clone from the better of the two girls yesterday using a RapidRooter plug. Both are getting 18 hrs of light and temps are in the mid 70s.
My cloning skills suck so we'll see. I'd rather not do hydro from seed.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
this is a nice compact cab. Have to give your+k for that! My only two cents is that your thermometer probe isnt in the best spot. but that's petty.

Im excited to see what you do with that. I would put 2 clones in each net cup and yield real good... Peaec.

one Q

Quality
Veteran
OH, and for the screen, I have the perfect lil plan...

Go to the furnace filter isle and look for the filter that you can cut to the needed size, it's green and black. It has 2 layers of filter wich you can cut to filter your cab intakes, it also comes with a 1x1 inch screen. that you can also cut to the scrog frame.

hth

hazydreams

i used metal. should have specified that. doesnt seems like it hurts them. chicken wire would work but i like the rigid wire mess so you can tie stuff to it and be secure. problem is that its pretty expensive if i recall like 28 dollars for a roll, way way more then i needed. but on the bright side you have enough mesh to turn everything you got into a scrog.... make lemonaid....

one Q

Quality
Veteran
if you find a feed store, they usualy have wire mesh by the foot, usually 2 or 4ft tall

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
One Q,
Thanks for the tip on the furnace filter. I'll give that a look.
The themometer probe is about 2" below the lights and is showing a worse case scenario. Temps further down in the cab are cooler.
I use an IR laser probe to check temps when I want readings at the top of the buds.
Hazy,
I agree the hardware cloth is the shizzle, but the price is steep. I've got some 1/2" I use for my carbon filters. I usually look like I've been berry picking after using it though, as my hands get a few scrapes and puntures.

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
One Q,
I took your advice and picked up the green and black air filter you recommended. Perfect. 1" square screen which can easily be cut into any size with diagonal cutters. I got 2 screens out of the one piece. The filter cloth and carbon cloth are a bonus, all for for $10.
I'll get completed pics up once my camera battery is done recharging.

majortom9

Lookin real good Sgt. Those metal locking nuts will be in the back of ya mind and keep ya from sleeping now lmao. Just hit them with a coat of good ole spray enamel or epoxy and ya worries will go "poof"

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Poof!

Here's the bitchin' 1" plastic screen that came with the furnace filter installed on my SWC tub.

picture.php

I might open the screen up to a 2"x2" grid. That would give me 48 - 2" squares for training.

picture.php

As you can see, she is stong like Russian Ox.

picture.php

one Q

Quality
Veteran
make the holes 2x2 like stated above.

also a spool of fishing wire will help with any extra ties that need to be done. a spool will last FOREVER! just a few bucks.

This is shaping up to be something nice... get a bag of MaxiBloom and bottle of ProTek... maybe a root booster and yore golden. Keep it up.

hazydreams

sarge,

i had a thought, how were you planning to empty and refill the res, if at all.

a small DIY bulk head fitting made from two rubber washers and a male and female threaded half inch pvc fittings in the bottom of the res might make your life easier. use teflon tape to ensure no drips.

im all for ease of maintence, if you had another way sorry for the intrusion...

Edit, I like that screen MAN! shit if i would have know.......

Latest posts

Latest posts