What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sensi Seeds - still good or are the rumors true??

M

moose eater

Can't speak to current Sensi Seeds practices or viability, but can say that sometime between 1996 & 1997 I walked into Sensi Seeds in Amsterdam, and told the gent behind the counter that I wanted something simple, easy to get along with, resilient where growing environments, over-feeding, under-feeding, etc. (essentially, grower mismanagement) and disease were concerned, and wanted it to be both productive and potent.

He pointed, without hesitation, to the California Indica, which I have understood since then to be a bit of a misnomer, as it was reportedly sourced at 11 different Cali strains, many of which had sativa influences in them, as is common in that place for those times.

Her clone-to-clone-to-clone genetics are now 20 years+ in my harem, and she has lived up to her name and the seller's claims. She's currently the bushiest and happiest of my 7 mothers, has produced up to 20.5 oz. in a 4'x4'x~6.5' (white interior) box, with a 400 watt hps over her, and nothing else.

Without technical data to support my perception, it has seemed that a number of citrusy strains on the market today, stem from common genetics as my CI does.

I'm a bit of a groupie where Papa Dronkers is concerned as well; he scored one of the most harsh grow sentences years ago in Holland, and was cut loose very early into it, with the jailer reportedly telling him to go home, and stop taking up space.

So I can't say what they may have become in the overall seeds scene, but to me they will always be pioneers to whom I am both respectful & thankful.

Last edited:

CaptainDankness

They kind of suck IMO, just for the simple fact that everything really interesting is way over priced.

Their Super Skunk ain't too bad, but certainly not the best Skunk hybrid I've ever had. I would hope their Jack Herrer is still primo, but you still won't find anything too outstanding in a 10 pack unless you get lucky. I'd love to try out Mr. Nice (G13 x Hash Plant) but for the price I'm going to have to pass. Plenty of hybrids out there of G13 I doubt they have the best or it would be just as big as Jack Herrer.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Thanks Growhigh..mate must have had one of the 3/4 sativa phenos, of the 2 skunk influenced ones I reckon, fruit and spice..skunk indica buds on massive sativa plant, huge sativa leaves..thick stems, trunk thick like a forearm..

Grew WW back in the day, doublegum and superskunk, and years later..The parents are clearly not the same..the WW and superskunk these days were heavily citrus influenced in all phenos, not back in the day at all. The SS were without a doubt of skunk heritage, I've grown old skunks for long enough to recognise their traits at a glance. They were superb citrus cognac smokes but the high was heavy and depressing for me and I have real skunks so ditched them. But all 3 strains did were not the same as prior to swiss raids. Doublegum was of the same geneline, for sure but I would guess an f2 as every parent and grandparent under the sun popped out in those later beans..some had bubblegum traits in plants that were atypical for bubblegum and no bubblegum in plants that were typical, and a random pink haired long flowering sativa that is an absolute queen of a plant that was the keeper and had no bubblegum traits whatsoever except the lovely warm productive high, coupled with a heart pounding soaring sativa high that you can't seem to sit down on nor keep still..love that gal..thanks sensi..though it like her sisters were nothing like what the description on the package!? and nothing like when I had bought those seeds form them in years prior..not any later pack of the 3 was, grew 2 packs of each.:)

Last edited:

LostTribe

Premium user
i found jack leaned more towards the indica ......i found more indica'esk plants than any other pheno..... but obviously when compared to a real indica its still 2 or 3 times the height gain ! ........ so even the most indica jack i found, is still very sativa compared to a sour bubble or bubba kush s1

but when compared to the 3 very very sativa leaning jacks i have, you can see a massive difference in pheno expression bud structure ect

the 3 sativas phenos pretty much look like pure sativa .............. massive height thinnest leafs imaginable slower flowering times

still in testing mode but i think iv found an exceptional sativa jack here

SS Jack has always leaned atleast 70% Sativa. Where did you attain her?

LT

LostTribe

Premium user
Thanks Growhigh..mate must have had one of the 3/4 sativa phenos, of the 2 skunk influenced ones I reckon, fruit and spice..skunk indica buds on massive sativa plant, huge sativa leaves..thick stems, trunk thick like a forearm..

Grew WW back in the day, doublegum and superskunk, and years later..The parents are clearly not the same..the WW and superskunk these days were heavily citrus influenced in all phenos, not back in the day at all. The SS were without a doubt of skunk heritage, I've grown old skunks for long enough to recognise their traits at a glance. They were superb citrus cognac smokes but the high was heavy and depressing for me and I have real skunks so ditched them. But all 3 strains did were not the same as prior to swiss raids. Doublegum was of the same geneline, for sure but I would guess an f2 as every parent and grandparent under the sun popped out in those later beans..some had bubblegum traits in plants that were atypical for bubblegum and no bubblegum in plants that were typical, and a random pink haired long flowering sativa that is an absolute queen of a plant that was the keeper and had no bubblegum traits whatsoever except the lovely warm productive high, coupled with a heart pounding soaring sativa high that you can't seem to sit down on nor keep still..love that gal..thanks sensi..though it like her sisters were nothing like what the description on the package!? and nothing like when I had bought those seeds form them in years prior..not any later pack of the 3 was, grew 2 packs of each.:)

White label double gum circa 2001-2? That was the shit I miss! LT

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
White label double gum circa 2001-2? That was the shit I miss! LT

For sure! I was lucky to get 2 packs round 2003/4 and it was the same fire, short fat, petit indica..good yeilder, minimal stretch..sisters were like clones of each other, resin was dripping off leaves..have some old pics on a hard drive needing a case, will dig them out sometime..The widows I grew from '99 sensi and 2003/4 white label were all identical in everyway, all the sisters from one pack in '99 and 2003/4 were like clones of each other. It mattered not which you chose to keep as a mom, they were all the same. I culled my moms in 2002/3 (DG, SS, etc..) when I went hydro veggie farming full time and still cry over the stuff I lost.. I did not have the heart to cull the widow mom and she stayed alive in a hydro bucket hidden in the bush for months with no air pumping etc..tough resiliant biaatch she was, a monster..I have pics also of her on that old drive from the 2003/4 mom. The high was stuporous, narcotic and felt like a light dose of shrooms had been thrown in..Still remember clearly the first time smoking her, was that profound. I still remember the flavor from 2000/1..Menthol cough syrup, with grape/berry and floral tones in the mix..later post widow girls were all some lemon mix. The original was resistant to PM but not botritus although not susceptable, the later widows were bulletproof to all mold! Like I have never seen before bulletproof, I had a large greenhouse quite a few years ago with a section of mixed strains and when harvesting found a lost blue cheese among some WW's, the Bch would rot if you looked at it wrong and found a really rotten branch in the undergrowth that had literally rotted and dripped onto the widow cola below..The widow was bright green and completely untouched and the mold could not penetrate at all, any other strain and the mold would have just run.. I had crazy humidity that year with late summer rains and all the widows had not a touch of mold and the rest got hammered. So not bad genetics those widows at all, the new stuff, lovely high too, buds a bit sativa fluffy, one gal was a monster yielder, but not the old stuff at all, whatsoever. Anyway, what a ramble..

In the post 2010 packs I grew every girl was different and non of the widows resembled in any way the girls of old.

What are the fire sensi strains these days?
What has stayed true to the original? Who has grown stuff of old and todays' and had the same excellent results we used have and the same plants? I'm sure they did not loose everything and have not replaced parents since?

G

growhigh1233

SS Jack has always leaned atleast 70% Sativa. Where did you attain her?

LT

hey man the worlds best known seed bank was doing a promo with sensi ...........2 regular jacks with each order............... so i brought a load of pick n pick seeds .. 2$ seed +post n package so it worked out........... 6$ for 2 original jack seeds.......so i just kept ordering until promo finished.... eneded up with over 50 original regular jack seeds :D

i just simply found the indica pheno (shorter fatter leafs hard buds)showed up more than any other pheno ....were the true sativa phenos, showed up the least ... but of course its the luck of the draw... could grow another 50 regs and see differnt pheno trends

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
After that Mothers Finest garbage they put out in the early 00s I never went back. Paying what there asking you should get seeds that you'll get some good weed or at least a good male for breeding. I'm sure they got good strains at the prices they ask it's either they don't need the money or they don't need the money lol

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
For sure! I was lucky to get 2 packs round 2003/4 and it was the same fire, short fat, petit indica..good yeilder, minimal stretch..sisters were like clones of each other, resin was dripping off leaves..have some old pics on a hard drive needing a case, will dig them out sometime..The widows I grew from '99 sensi and 2003/4 white label were all identical in everyway, all the sisters from one pack in '99 and 2003/4 were like clones of each other. It mattered not which you chose to keep as a mom, they were all the same. I culled my moms in 2002/3 (DG, SS, etc..) when I went hydro veggie farming full time and still cry over the stuff I lost.. I did not have the heart to cull the widow mom and she stayed alive in a hydro bucket hidden in the bush for months with no air pumping etc..tough resiliant biaatch she was, a monster..I have pics also of her on that old drive from the 2003/4 mom. The high was stuporous, narcotic and felt like a light dose of shrooms had been thrown in..Still remember clearly the first time smoking her, was that profound. I still remember the flavor from 2000/1..Menthol cough syrup, with grape/berry and floral tones in the mix..later post widow girls were all some lemon mix. The original was resistant to PM but not botritus although not susceptable, the later widows were bulletproof to all mold! Like I have never seen before bulletproof, I had a large greenhouse quite a few years ago with a section of mixed strains and when harvesting found a lost blue cheese among some WW's, the Bch would rot if you looked at it wrong and found a really rotten branch in the undergrowth that had literally rotted and dripped onto the widow cola below..The widow was bright green and completely untouched and the mold could not penetrate at all, any other strain and the mold would have just run.. I had crazy humidity that year with late summer rains and all the widows had not a touch of mold and the rest got hammered. So not bad genetics those widows at all, the new stuff, lovely high too, buds a bit sativa fluffy, one gal was a monster yielder, but not the old stuff at all, whatsoever. Anyway, what a ramble..

In the post 2010 packs I grew every girl was different and non of the widows resembled in any way the girls of old.

What are the fire sensi strains these days?
What has stayed true to the original? Who has grown stuff of old and todays' and had the same excellent results we used have and the same plants? I'm sure they did not loose everything and have not replaced parents since?

G `day MJIMF

White Widow from Sensi ?
I thought it was a Green House thang ?

Thanks for sharin

EB .

MickTheBrag

sensi

sensi

ive grown the NL from sensi. and its worth every penny. you will find what your looking for if you grow it.

a great smoke.:tiphat:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
https://sensiseeds.com/en/cannabis-seeds/whitelabel/white-widow

Picture of the strain on the page looks like what a widow should pretty much, resin content about to go through the roof as it matures, esp. on fan leaves which reliably do the velcro resin/leaf edge curl on the real WW..Seeds in '99 were an authentic 15 sensi pack a mate brought back from their shop in the dam and was the first real genetics we saw in the flesh, later 2 were white label (sensi), 2 packs each time. First WL (2004 maybe) was identical to '99 sensi in everyway, second was not at all..and nothing like the plant pictured above..lemon biscuits to orange pledge in various longer flowering fluffy sativas these were all in the later 2 packs. Extreme mold resistance and high yields of fluffy buds but not what I was looking for..I looking for the old hand grenades of resin we used to get in those plants with extreme vigour and huge wide leaves with thick stems. A mate back in the day had a 400w squashed in a cupboard and would have 12 plants in there in bubblers that would end up in 4 ft tall colas that one was not able to close the cupboard when they were in advanced flower it would just be bud, fat, thick, dripping stinky bud. And we were compete novices. It was all genetics. Could smell that stuff down the road..Thick, skunky menthol berry bitter cough syrup..Was pretty unmistakable.
Who has grown any recently? It has been 7 or 8 years since I last did? Maybe they have recovered some old parents from Shanti or someone and are quietly kicking out the real deal again? I'd love to know..

Last edited:

kro-magnon

Veteran
Today all seeds sold by Sensi Seeds are outsourced and they are working with different suppliers so you can get seeds who will give good plants if the seed maker has god genetics and a good work ethic but you can get also get some shittty seeds if the supplier sucks. It's about luck now with this seed company and it's sad because they were the best in the 90's, I had some very nice result from their genetics a long time ago. Now I'm scared to be desapointed by the old success so I don't buy from them any more,y last purchase of Sensi seeds was 08 I think. There is so many better option today, don't waste your money on a flip of coin.

HalfArsedFarmer

Hi Kro Mag

Can I ask you where you got this information from about Sensi outsourcing their breeding? I know there are a lot of seed banks who outsource their fem production to some guys in Spain but handing out their males?? I don't know a single bank that would do this as these are your building blocks. As many a country song will tell you a good man is hard to find.

kro-magnon

Veteran
Since it's illegal in holland to make seeds(1998 or 99) all seed banks outsourced their production Sensi seeds like others. They had to give some males and females if they want suppliers to replicate their original crosses.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Since it's illegal in holland to make seeds(1998 or 99) all seed banks outsourced their production Sensi seeds like others. They had to give some males and females if they want suppliers to replicate their original crosses.
Making seeds indoors since '98-'99
Is officialy not allowed anymore since that time.

bigbadbiddy

And I would call it a general rule of thumb that while buying seeds, you get better chances at good genetics the closer you buy from the source and worse the farther away you are from the source.

Freebies are probably the furthest away from the source. These are seeds that have been in storage with a seed vendor for so long, because nobody wanted to buy them, that the vendor starts worrying about germ rates. So he throws them out for free.

The closest you can get is when you buy from the breeder directly. You might be surprised when you talk to one and they even let you choose if you want seeds from the previous or current batch and the like.

This line of thinking has also steered me clear of Sensi and in fact all dutch "breeders". Because you can never get the seeds from the actual breeder. You always get them from the marketing company/vending outlet and who knows which batch they come from, if that batch was tested and how long they have been in transit/storage.

There might be a few exceptions in the Netherlands as well...
I know KC Brains must have operated in the shadows and still making and selling seeds himself for quite a while. At least in the early 2010s you could still get his/an associates mobile phone number on his website and had to call to set up a meeting to get some seeds.
I wonder if his resulting run ins/troubles with the law were a reason why his genetics fell out of favor as well.

HalfArsedFarmer

Hi Kro Mag.

You still haven't told me where you know for 100% they have handed out their males. It seems to me you're guessing due to Dutch law.

I don't want to shock you but seeds are still being made in Holland at this very time!

The last I saw Alan Dronkers (6 months) he was talking to Adam Dunn of TH seeds & a former employee of Sensi Seeds & they were discussing breeding.

Alan went on to say he has been in charge of the breeding & the new selection. This would indicate to me as he is breeding not third parties.

I might be wrong & could have misinterpreted what was said, I'm always open to have my views changed if someone can present me with solid evidence.

Please don't think I'm being confrontational, for me this industry is very murky to say the least & if you have someone saying they're breeding & they're not it's serious & the public need to know.

Sensi isn't what it once was there is no doubt about that, back in the 90's I purchased some of the best cultivars I've ever grown & some are still in my lines but trying to keep cultivars going for 20-30 years is a true test & things are going to change.

They could drop some of their prices for some of the regular seeds as IMO they are not going to shift them in the current climate with the thirst for fem seeds.
I mean who in there right mind is going to give you €90 for Big bud, I love their Fruity juice (Juicy fruit when I got it) but again I'm not paying that kind of money to sort through the huge range in there 8-13 weeks.

Latest posts

Latest posts