What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sell Me On AF's,I Dare Ya!

Green Sky

I like Autos so I can get 2 outdoor harvests in. July/ August is a perfect time to get my drying setup dialed.
Indoor I have room to fill in my veggie cab.

* IMHO they generally yield light. More-so indoors. Probably just me.
I grow:
Nirvana - NL and Bubblicious; MDZ - Quixter and Sour 60; Dinafem Criticaljack and Roadrunner#2,
So far they (auto's) germinate well and represent what I thought I was getting.
No complaints about them so far.

I have made MANY seeds with a Quixter male. Had a BRUTE I am able to pollinate Auto fems for years to come.

Fou

AF's work for my guillera grow only and they rly are the choice for me!!!From April to June i cultivate them,when i cant harvest non autos strains!!!
But no way i grow them indoor!!!Bill of light more expensive and lower quality buds,when u can plant a non auto strain in the same time with a 12/12 from seed!!Cheaper bill-better buds-more options!!!

SmokinErb

LOL. This thread is so old. Going on 2 years now. Rez has been MIA - he supposedly was raided and is incarcerated.

Autos are junk. The only thing they're good for is filling extra space in a veg room and growing outdoors in far northern climates with a short growing season. They lack potency and yields desired by any serious grower.

The two harvests you can pull in one season with them is still less yield and quality than the single harvest you'll get from a photosensitive strain.

Jhhnn

Veteran
LOL. This thread is so old. Going on 2 years now. Rez has been MIA - he supposedly was raided and is incarcerated.

Autos are junk. The only thing they're good for is filling extra space in a veg room and growing outdoors in far northern climates with a short growing season. They lack potency and yields desired by any serious grower.

The two harvests you can pull in one season with them is still less yield and quality than the single harvest you'll get from a photosensitive strain.

Not to be too argumentative on my third post to the forum, but you're using the "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

"Serious growers" are obviously working with AF strains, some of the biggest names in the business. Some of the new AF strains are apparently quite potent, as well, if not yet the very best.

They may not be right for you, but they clearly fill market demand, fit well into a variety of scenarios described in this thread. Dismissing them as "Junk" is unreasonable.

One of the ways that AF's can be used, I suspect, is as samples. We all know that different strains have different kinds of highs & different tastes. Even if they're not as potent, AF's can give a good idea of the qualities of the parent non-AF strain. Growers can devote some small part of their efforts to quickly growing samples for testing, then grow the parent photo strains they like the best. That can be particularly valuable to new growers & returning growers, like me. Hopefully, I can compress the discovery process, gain knowledge more quickly.

Too bad about Rez, if what you say is true. I'm pretty sure he didn't get to be a top breeder by being closed-minded...

SmokinErb

Junk may be unreasonable, I'll give you that. And nothing wrong with a little debate. I won't claim to know much about them, but from everything I've read, even the new modern AF's can't compete in terms of potency with today's top strains. But then again, I've never grown out an AF.

Market demand is right. That's why the breeders are working with them. There's a demand for AF's on this market - and that market does not go to the established professional growers. AF's are simply too inconvenient. You can't keep a mother, you can't really clone, etc. A lot of the demand goes to new growers who want to simplify the process.

I'll never say that AF's don't have their place, because they do. I look at AF's the same way I view LED's. There is a time and place for them, but you won't find them in professional grows, where quality and yields are important, very frequently. LED's have come a long way, and still have a long way to go - as with AF's. They're far from their original ruderalis roots, but still a long-shot from todays stop strains, IMO.

And he didn't get to be a top breeder by being closed-minded, but he didn't get to be a top breeder by running AF's either :)

Fou

U are true!!!
But MJ is not only potency and yield,it is beauty and experiment too!!
Cannabis is a plant with a huge amount of different types,and rudelaris is definetely one worth working on!!
Thats why serious growers work with the rudelaris type!!
Believe it or not,the work of serious growers on rudelaris hybrids have helped a lot of people,including me,to have decent yield for smoke!!!
Example,i can only take care of plants during April-July.No photoperiod strain flowers then...so my only choice is auto's!!!
TY serious growers for being curious and experimental!!!Keep up the good work!!!

Sounds like the AF strains are gaining in strength and popularity around the globe, as with the fem movement things take time to take hold, but it now seems most everyone is producing Fem. seed stock.

My guess is AF strains are just now taking a good foot hold and we will continue to see improvements along this path for the future of improving things for many who just do not have an outdoor grow opportunity or want quicker results both indoors and outdoors.

I for one will be keeping an eye on these things, thanks for the education people!

Peace
mg

Mr Jay

Veteran
Autos are not junk, that's why people are working so hard on them. Pop on over to autoflower.net some time and take a look at how far they have come.