What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Selfing

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tomatoes are naturally selfing, and so breeding by hybridization will encourage heterosis.

Selfing is a bit like making an F2 of a plant with itself, and so the results will depend mostly on how true-breeding the parent is. If the parent is not true-breeding then you will get variation in the offspring.
Selfing has never claimed to always produce offspring that match the original. People may have tried to make that claim about selfing... and they would be wrong in most cases.

Show me the selfed plant that matches the original then.
My Pre-98 Bubba Kush S1s often come out very close to the clone. That is the opinion of many people who have grown them over at least a decade.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope, not yours bud
Phew. :biggrin:
In recent years people have said that the pre-98 is an S1 of the 'new' 'original bubba' which i think they call bubba 93 these days..
If that is true, then the pre-98, being an S1 already (inbred for a generation), would be more likely to breed true for any of its traits than the original clone. Either way mine all come out very close, if that's what you're looking for.
VG :tiphat:

Last edited:

Cvh

Supermod
I was able to reverse my female - it's covered in male pollen sacs. But I'm not seeing any pollen anywhere. I even plucked a few pods from the plant but saw no pollen inside. Any ideas?
Could be because you have over applied STS. I have seen several reports of people over applying and having empty sacs. When they tried again and used fewer applications they did end up with viable pollen.

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Phew. :biggrin:
In recent years people have said that the pre-98 is an S1 of the 'new' 'original bubba' which i think they call bubba 93 these days..
If that is true, then the pre-98, being an S1 already, would be more likely to breed true for any of its traits than the original clone. Either way mine all come out very close, if that's what you're looking for.
VG :tiphat:
Does it look like this?
DSC-0537 (1).jpg

PetePrice

There's a reason the likes of Orchid breeders when evaluating a specimen for the 1st time will self the plant and see how it segregates, selfing is a tool for exploiting ie it's the quickest route to homozygous plants and to exploit recessives.

I'd even go further and ask what so called traditional breeding ie M/F mating brings? especially when it's individuals we are after!!

How would you stabilise and concentrate a rare trait? outcross it? sib cross?

Ca++

It's tough finding that "original" in s1's.
You get everything behind that gal the good the bad and the ugly.
Just ran a slug of s1 BK from a very reputable breeder none were even close to each other.
This is true, but the odds of a reproduction from all the possibilities, is surely a math thing. Are they going to get better, by bringing another plant into the mix.

OleReynard

The breeder knows about it and to be fair these were 10years old so it was out of his older stock.
There was another problem also