What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Selfing

stellis0358

Forgive folks for asking a question that has probably been asked and answered already. This question is simple - if you reverse a female do have to keep her segregated from your other females to avoid accidental pollination? I'm thinking yes but need some definitive clarification please. Thanks in advance.

Bro.

Hi,

If you can't separate it from the pack, you can also take refuge in Cross Pollination Barrier Bags, like a male condom, which will allow the male organs to continue ripening while protecting other plants from pollen trapped in the bag.

Once the male flowers are sufficiently ripe, cut off the branch and place it in a glass of water in a separate room to give the last stamens time to open, then collect and store the pollen, or use it directl y.

stellis0358

I was able to reverse my female - it's covered in male pollen sacs. But I'm not seeing any pollen anywhere. I even plucked a few pods from the plant but saw no pollen inside. Any ideas?

Shmavis

Being-in-the-world
I was able to reverse my female - it's covered in male pollen sacs. But I'm not seeing any pollen anywhere. I even plucked a few pods from the plant but saw no pollen inside. Any ideas?

I have only selfed a few plants, so I’m far from experienced in doing so…

One plant—either AS #1 or S.A.G.E. (I’m having a lapse of memory at the moment)—reacted like you’re describing. It had multiple pollen sacs and everything looked good but they weren’t opening. No pollen flying. I also opened some to find them empty. Had it not been for @zif suggesting I grind them up I would’ve trashed the plant and chalked it up as a loss.

I took a handful and ground them together over the mother cut just allowing them to fall onto the flowers. I visibly saw pollen, but it looked clumpy, and there wasn’t much of it. I did not have high hopes. But it actually worked. I did not get as many seeds as I would’ve liked; but way more than the zero I would’ve got had I not tried.

Good luck!

stellis0358

Well that was an interesting experiment. Had 6 Purple Afghan Kush females and tried to reverse 2 of them to create more seeds. 1 of them crashed hard, withered up and died. The other reversed successfully. I had a boat load of pollen sacs, but not a single one produced a grain of pollen that I could see. I'm not really sure what happened here. Any thoughts anyone as to why this plant didn't produce any pollen even though the plant was loaded with pollen sacs?

stellis0358

OK, well I don't want to be making any "lazy attempt at a shortcut", lol. If you only have 6 feminized seeds how else are you supposed to create more seeds? This is the process for making feminized seeds isn't it - reversing?

MrHamilton

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Yes, and there’s nothing wrong with selfing your girls, especially if that’s what you have to work with.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well that was an interesting experiment. Had 6 Purple Afghan Kush females and tried to reverse 2 of them to create more seeds. 1 of them crashed hard, withered up and died. The other reversed successfully. I had a boat load of pollen sacs, but not a single one produced a grain of pollen that I could see. I'm not really sure what happened here. Any thoughts anyone as to why this plant didn't produce any pollen even though the plant was loaded with pollen sacs?
This does happen, and sometimes if you dry the sacs and then grind them up (i force them through a fine metal sieve) and then use any powder to dust your plants, you will get some pollination.
Theoretically all female plants should reverse and produce pollen but some are very reluctant (this is a good thing selection wise) you could try again with a different strength of silver solution or spraying regime.
You seldom get clouds of pollen like you do with a regular male plant.
VG

dogzter

Drapetomaniac
Selfing isn't meant to bring about advancement. It's a method of preserving what you have. If you get a spectacular difference, you probably did it wrong.
Show me the selfed plant that matches the original then.
I have been doing the make seeds thing since the 80's and have yet to see any of the results.

Latest posts

Latest posts