What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

self-sufficiency...compliments of micro.

jesbuds

Never thought I'd have the space until I made the space ;). Prior to this cab I didn't sprout more than 2-4 seeds at once and even then it'd be 2-3 months until I tried more seeds.

Genetics and breeding truly interests me, to the point that I'm very willing to sacrifice bud for seeds. And I'll admit, my yields have gone down significantly due to open pollination's but all has been worth it for the multitude of seeds in the long run.

Well, I guess its time for a little update. I didn't manage to snap any pictures this time, but the 4 malawi "from seed" plants are now flipped to 12/12. UNFORTUNATELY, this evening while bending/training i managed to snap a couple stems....stupid fingers. I thought about just finishing the snap off and trying to root the 2 snapped stems, but decided to try the "bandage" method. If they were showing sex i would have probably decided differently, but.... i'm sure i won't miss those branches once they start stretching out trying to take over my grow space! LOL

As far as the malawi cuttings i took while topping, they all have roots coming out the bottom. However, because i placed them in pairs in rockwool, i can't tell if they are all from the "top" cut or the "alternate node" cut...or both....i guess i will find out when i separate them in a couple days!

My lsd plant is about to come down in the next couple days...Looks like she is going to have a decent yield.

Zamal Hashplants had a little bit of calcium deficiency so some of the leaves got a little rusty.....but i threw some cal/mag in and it seemed to take care of the problem. The pheno i have is CRAZY fast....unexpectedly fast. The original mother was taken down at day 59 in my notes, and from what i was saying in this thread she could have come down earlier. Today is day 39 so ill be watching them closely.

the heavyweight seeds dream machine ...well, the top of the budsicle is done....the rest looks like it needs a while. I think i will try staggering the harvest on it. i'll chop the top when i cut the lsd plant.

the tangerine dream ....i'm just confused with.....this strain hates me, i think. the first run was full of grower mistakes and went circa 16 weeks of flower. The td#2 is at about 10 weeks and looks done. how is that even possible?? I have 4 beans of this left. Hope that they are a little different than this pheno. the first run gave me mediocre smoke.

...then again, maybe that is grower error and the genetics are not to blame. So many people place the blame on genetics/breeder/etc ....maybe the genetics are fine and just require something different than has worked for the grower in the past with other plants.

Either way, i'm gonna go smoke a joint of my mediocre meds and carry on with the plan...Finding the genetics that suit ME and MY situation best.

GROW YOUR OWN, PEOPLE!!!

jesbuds

I like how you say finding stuff that suits you because I truly do believe that is a big part of our search for the 'ultimate strain'. And from other grow reports I've heard of Tangerine Dream I'd say it's more the strain. Hear a lot of hit and miss with it, some have told me was just too much trouble for the smoke, others have raved on it. When there's that much polarity on strains, I tend to think they are not worked very well but that's all me.

Good stuff man, keep on keepin' on.

....was going to get some pics of the zamal hashplants and the malawi's tonight but ended up disgusted and just did the minimum for the evening...thanks to the discovery of an outbreak of mites....never had this problem before. Don't know if they came in with my new bag of soil, or if they caught a ride on me at some point.

sooo....looks like my newest bag of soil is going to be used in the vegi garden this year, just in case it was the reason.

I suppose i will finish running what i have in flower atm...should be pretty bare within a couple weeks....in the meantime i will treat the veg plants and their area... Once my case is empty, i will clean it out really good....then, thanks to varying flowering times, im right back in the perpetual lineup....

might be a good time to do a few modifications to the case while it is down anyways. Get switched over to the led bulbs....

thanks. I'm going to try to make the best of the situation. Use it as the chance to make some changes, tidy up a few things. The jars have enough reserve that losing a couple weeks of flowering time shouldn't hurt me too bad.

When i set back up i will probably do a few runs of hydro and stay away from soil for a few rounds. When I started growing, it was in rockwool/dwc setups, so i have everything i need.

just don't know what to do about the 4 malawi plants from seed that are in soil. maybe i will allow them to show sex and then just take some clones into rockwool. i sure hate losing the training time i have put in though.......(minus the broken branches)

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Yup.

I switched from living soil a few years ago, coco has its
own faults too, but for my grow was the way to go.

When I switched I agitated un potted soil plants in a big bucket
of water to free the roots of soil and plopped them into coco.

A little time for recovery and I was good to go.

Levitationofme

Nice Thread

Nice Thread

Enjoying the conversations here.
Still on my first round of growing at all, and in a 2x2x5 box.
Pictures are public i believe. Im still new here.

My thoughts on what I will do next

I can do a better job of training my plants and timing them so they are easier to manage.

Im thinking 3 plants in 3 gallon Smart Pots with a PUG setup

Small space, so I have hard time thinking Sea of Green. Ill start with a Puddle of Green.

My plants have tried to suicide themselves into my LED and they really have to be close to get burned. Probably could be Maximized if next time i keep everything
10-12 inches from light. Which will be my goal.

I noticed that on one of my pots i put a layer of clay balls and thru out the grow I have not had problems with coco compacting.

Ill try it again next run.

One malawi plant showed female parts today, finally! Hopefully the rest aren't far behind. My tangerine dreams will both be coming down this weekend...maybe the zamal hashplants as well. Today when I scoped them, they were almost all cloudy...touch of clear, touch of amber.

Might just take them all this weekend to get the cleanup of mites (still angry) underway.. will begin treating the veg plants tonight so that once the case is clean Iwill be able to fill her back up! Ill be happy when this is done. It will give me the much desired veg space that I need to get some more new genetics started. Just another bump in the road....gonna ride it downhill as soon as I get over the crest this weekend!

Stay positive, my fellow growers. Problems lead to experience! Use them to your advantage!

Ohh, almost forgot. My 4 malawi top clones all survived. However, only two of the alternate node clones survived. ....the two that survived were the ones that had the best growth when they were taken. I assume if I had waited another week before I took them that the other two would have survived as well.

....noted for next time.

doob

nice little thread, I will join in if i may :tiphat:

I would call myself a micro grower, but I will make some of you jealous because i have a tent at 60x60x130cm, which I squeeze a 250w full spectrum HPS in..

Canna coco line up all the way, hand water daily. I pulled 247g last round :)

My environment isnt perfect (16deg - 23deg, 55%rh average), but the game changer for me personally was keeping my feed temp a constant 18-20degC

doob

That is Sweet Seeds Green Poison. I'm moving to regular seeds next month after my current crop, been collecting beans, way too many actually ha. So planning that at the moment, as I would love a few mums of course, to be even more self sufficient :)

4/4 of my Malawi are showing pistils!! NEVER saw that one coming!! There sure is a LOT of variation in the plants! I thought for sure the 2 with extreme internode spacing would be males.

...looks like I have some tough choices to make in the near future.....I was expecting at least 1 male. In tight quarters like mine these are going to take up quite a bit more space than i would prefer.

maybe i should be flowering the rooted tops into budsicles instead of the multi-branched "from seed" plants??

or maybe i should just make a selection, based on the stem elongation being an undesirable trait for my situation, and give two the chop??? ...but i would sure hate to miss out on a gem based on productivity......

Time will tell. Right now i am still battling the spider mites. I sprayed the veg plants and the malawi plants with a product that "destroys mites and their eggs on contact" ...they lied. There are still live mites. So i will spray them every day this week if i have to!! I ended up cleaning up the case a little but did not treat the plants that were in late flower. The product says "up until the day of harvest" ....not gonna do that. the zamal hashplants need to go another week, so i wait.

Levitationofme

Only a couple pics uploaded, Clay pellets made no difference. Although it was fun picking up the ones I dropped. Poor choice.

My clones outgrew my Clone Chamber. I DIY'd a Resin Storage Box with a PC Fan and 4 t-5
lights. I am hoping that they don't outgrow this new addition. My first actual Crop is a few weeks away. I foolishly grew 3 different strains. They will not finish at same time.

I am doing FIM, and Tie Down techniques to train them. They remarkably look all the same. Only difference is ones in smaller pots are a little smaller.

doob

I feel your pain guys/gals, finishing times and space are our biggest challenges 99% of the time. I cant relate to mites yet anyway, i just keep a spray bottle of IPA diluted to approx 10% with water, which I regularly clean everything with, i think this may be a good preventative measure? I would only consider growing in a tent as well, i feel it gives them added security being sealed up in there.

I am also thinking whether to flower clones, the seed plants, or I am even thinking about revegging something which impresses, which would be the easiest, if i could pull it off :biggrin: