What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seedling insanity

antheis

Veteran
this is a story about some seeds i made back in 17/18. the mother was a fine specimen from loudog's cjsb ix1. i named her 'candy girl'. she finished fast and had tart grape smell that translated well into the taste.

here she is at day 52

picture.php

the pollen came from tony green's gorilla dubble (sour dubble clone x gorilla bubble bx2)- pollen from three males was mixed and kept in one use packs.
this wasn't my first time making seeds, but it was a cross that i made with much intent and forethought.

so these seed sat squirreled away in a jar in my fridge since their harvest two or three summers ago until fate moved my hand and killed my refrigerator.

everything went into coolers with ice and the seed jar that these were in had no lid and the inevitable happened - the jar was filled with ice and melting ice. this was not discovered until loading the new fridge. accepting this event i changed the water and put them all - somewhere between 100 and 200 seeds - on a heat source. a day later they were showing signs of life and cracking their shells.
attempts were made to pick out individual seeds and place them oh so carefully into soil but out of frustration i gave up. all seeds were put in a 2'x4' soil bed and spread out as best i could.

without further ado i give you my seedling insanity
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Mr. J

I understand that feeling of being overwhelmed but I think you may regret not taking the time to pot them up because you're gonna have a mess on your hands pretty soon. Mommy looks real sexy though.

nickman

Veteran
Looks like a little ARMY ...!!!...

Yeah, soon I’d think those roots be gettin all twisted up ...!!!...

What you gonna do next ??? Take them out as they grow or just pick the better looking seedlings ??? I’m just curious ...!!!...

I’m sure your gonna find something nice in those ...!!!...

antheis

Veteran
i will do my first thinning in a week. i have them on a 12/1 light schedule to get them to stretch as fast as possible.

i don't have room to save anything as i had just popped the last of the original cjsb from lou because they were getting old.

i am almost finished what i believe is some of this cross. i say that because i did not properly label the seeds. i know they are made with gdubb pollen, but i am unsure of the mother. it is either cjsbxgdubb or gdubb f2. after growing them out and seeing the uniformity and intersex tendies i believe they are cjsbxgdubb.

here the two out of fifteen i'm keeping in week 5
c5

picture.php

picture.php

c5 top

picture.php

sorry for the sideways pic not sure what happened here

picture.php

picture.php

so, as you can see, they are branchy as hell. in this grow i only planted 15 in the same size bed. if these are the the same cross i know i'm in for a bit of crazy.

antheis

Veteran
thinned em out a little bit - about 10% were culled.
i like running my hand over them like tall grass in a field. while i'm doing this they bend over and i see how closely they are growing. i pick one and pull all the ones that are close to winner.

before i started i was very anxious. the one question that stayed in my head, "what if i kill the next glue?" i was almost paralyzed with indecision. then an answer - "these things were damn near a seed sprout tea. any flower is a blessing" its actually relaxing to pull plants out now. i just have to be careful to not get carried away.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i did find one odd plant i'm undecided if i want to keep it no matter what but time will tell.
picture.php

siftedunity

cant re Member
Veteran
I love rubbing the leaves on seedlings and smelling them.. they always seem to smell more at that size... idk maybe its just me..
I know you worried about possibly killing the next glue but tbh theres nothing worse than a slow non-vigorous clone only. your most likely just killing off the weak crap. but id say keep that one.. :)

antheis

Veteran
they're soft and pliable and are really relaxing to touch. i pretend i'm the wind and they are the reeds. thats it. i'm calling this cross usul. now i just need to add some worms to the bed.

the one with that funky leaf put out three cotyledon and i guess this how it 'rights' itself to do two branches per node in lieu of three.

while pulling some weeds (ha!) and viewing their tap root they are averaging about 2 inches long i thought about a video i saw on cover crops. it talked about how soil biology is only active where it is in contact with roots, and thus, the importance of not having bare soil. these little guys are in effect being their own cover crop and may be loading the soil with cannabis specific exudates. but now that they're pulled the exudates and microbes will probably dry up.

just spit balling. who knows if there is any benefit.

Last edited:

antheis

Veteran
i've been thinning out continually through the week but i think it's time to pick some winners and clear out the competition around them to give some growing room.
picture.php

picture.php

one pheno is already starting branches below the canopy. which is impressive because not a lot of light gets down there.

it is the dominant pheno showing up 3 to one to one to the recessive(?) phenos.

here is one on the edge of the canopy.

picture.php

picture.php

antheis

Veteran
i picked out a pheno that was showing at a ratio of 1 to 5 - i assume 50 total plants in the bed and have found ten total plants - to take cuts of and narrow the line down a bit.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

thick main stalk with pronounced ridging
strong branching
crazy root thing.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Something beautiful about all those many seedlings. I like the look of your soil bed in front of the reflective bubble insulation too.

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 1 to 5 ratio?

Mars Hydro Led

Grow on Earth Grow with Mars
Vendor
i will do my first thinning in a week. i have them on a 12/1 light schedule to get them to stretch as fast as possible.

i don't have room to save anything as i had just popped the last of the original cjsb from lou because they were getting old.

i am almost finished what i believe is some of this cross. i say that because i did not properly label the seeds. i know they are made with gdubb pollen, but i am unsure of the mother. it is either cjsbxgdubb or gdubb f2. after growing them out and seeing the uniformity and intersex tendies i believe they are cjsbxgdubb.

here the two out of fifteen i'm keeping in week 5
c5

View Image
View Image
c5 top

View Image
sorry for the sideways pic not sure what happened here

View Image
View Image

so, as you can see, they are branchy as hell. in this grow i only planted 15 in the same size bed. if these are the the same cross i know i'm in for a bit of crazy.

They look so beautiful!! :tiphat:

antheis

Veteran
Something beautiful about all those many seedlings. I like the look of your soil bed in front of the reflective bubble insulation too.

Forgive my ignorance but what do you mean by 1 to 5 ratio?

no worries.

for every five plants in the bed there is one that is that has these specific physical characteristics. another way to say it is that this pheno is expressing at a rate of 20%. i think it is physically attractive and want to increase that rate.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
no worries.

for every five plants in the bed there is one that is that has these specific physical characteristics. another way to say it is that this pheno is expressing at a rate of 20%. i think it is physically attractive and want to increase that rate.

Oh, got it. That makes sense. I really want to know more about breeding and pheno hunting and the likes. Stabilizing a seed strain seems so complicated that over the 18 years I been on forums and reading books and 17 years of growing... I’ve skimmed it over f1’s f2’s back crossing :chin: didn’t understand and averted my eyes... I think maybe it’s time I learn about the birds and the beans... :shucks:

antheis

Veteran
thinned out the bed for the last time and gave them all a haircut to improve light pen and airflow.

picture.php

this gave me a chance to count them more easily, and the final number is 42. i started with over 100 seedling sprouts.

i have had some issues with intersex expressions - mainly from the pheno that i have chosen to work further - and have had to cut down two fairly large plants. right now the boys are pretty much done stretching and just need to develop a bit further before they start dropping pollen, but the girls are just now starting to throw female preflowers and haven't started flower set. on all the girls, except one, on the node just before it starts to make hairs there are 1-4 single male preflowers. since this occurs through multiple individuals i believe it is genetic and not environment.

picture.php

picture.php

however, i dont think it's an issue to pick off a few balls if the smoke is fire. juice gotta be worth the squeeze. we'll see and it might not even show up after they are cloned.

antheis

Veteran
It was purely by accident too. Next seed sift will just start with 40 seeds evenly spaced from the get go.

Some info I left out of the last post is that of those 42 only 9 are males. There are two phenos showing in the males - pinecone and pineapple - pineapple is the selected pheno. These names have nothing to do with smell but physical attributes. One has flowers that looks like the crown of a pineapple, the other a pinecone.

Speaking of smells, I'm only getting a little eucalyptus and coffee from the males and nothing from the females. The males are very faint smells too; the decomposing mulch is stronger scent wise.

Latest posts

Latest posts