What's new

Seed sizes.....any difference

Ok.....have been working for about a month harvesting my breeding plants and their seeds....pretty tedious work....brutal really...have had many offers from friends to help...but I just do not trust anyone...to keep them logged in and in proper drying containers....this was a huge breeding for me....it envolves over 25 different strains hit with my blowfish x Uk cheese male.

I am down to my last 15 or so plants...and today I found something pretty interesting...2 of my Double Purple Dojo females that were hit have very few seeds...but the seeds are HUGE....like 3 to 4 times the size of regular seeds....and believe me....I have cataloged almost 10,000 ++++ seeds from these crosses.....I have never seen anything like these....so for all of you who may have experience with this....please weigh in.....there are only about 15 or so of these seeds.....anything special about them?...or anyone have any experience with them?

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Large seeds tend not to germ so well, believe it or not. One friend runs a seed Co, puts the largest seeds in the 3 packs so they look better, the slightly smaller ones in the 10 packs, statistically he gets more % germ problems with the larger seeds in the small packs, I think his own tests also back this up. This guy hand tests all stock, squeezing and rejecting white/small etc, he also has a really cool seed sorter, a concentric spiral thing, very clever, an off the shelf item from the Horticultural world iirc.

Another friend who resells seeds under his own shop brand found that the new supply of his otherwise excellent seeds had germ problems because they were so big, and with notably tough shells.. . same seeds as worked perfectly before. E.G. One customer just bought 1,000 Fem seeds, had 998 perfect, one Male, one Hermi, but because the company then refused to honour his complaint about the non germing batch, they have parted ways and he now resells somebody else's seeds, people Seedbay have just begun to sell ....

sprinkl

Veteran
It would make sense that thicker seeds germ less easy, the shell needs to absorb more moisture and it's harder to crack.
To me it indicates that the mother had some big-ass calyxes. Dunno if that trait has any value besides aesthetics...

eastbeast

I'm running some brainfreeze from seed. Some of the seeds were twice the size of the others in the pack.
I just flipped em into 12/12 after 4 weeks veg from seed and so far there haven't been any noticeable differences or seperate traits between the big seeds vs small seeds. In fact, one of the small seed females is ahead of the pack vigour-wise.

We shall see at the end of flowering though...

burningfire

Veteran
in my experience the first seeds the plant produces up it's stem, where the preflowers first appear are the biggest.

I'm not sure if you're following me but a single plant can have different sized seeds,

I took this picture a few years ago, these are all from different plants

if I remember correctly, the first 2 are, colombian, haze, then I think chitral and some other indica.. then it's lebanese, n. afghan, nepal, colombian, malawi and the biggest one is some low/moderate potency aromatic ganja.

I haven't had the chance to grow them all but I've made crosses with the nepal , chitral and haze and the seeds haven't are very much like the original chitral seeds.

I've heard many times that drug type cannabis usually has smaller seeds than seed oil type.. I'm not sure if this trait is related to potency.

B

BasementGrower

interesting to say the least.. but iunno its all based on genetics. im pretty positive.. i have a couple plants. that make tiny tiny seeds that look fake. there so small.. and honestly. i have had bad germ rates with small and big seeds.. it never really mattered.. but i find that a drop or 2 of 3 % hydrogen peroxide in the water i germ in and then put the cup on a heat mat... have had about 90-95 % germ rates on all seeds..
its wierd.. same male plant.. different females.. 1 female seeds are like half size of sunflower seeds.. another female .. has seeds like 1/8th the size of the big seeds.. very odd. i remember some1 tried to tell me Sativa was Small seeds. And Indica is big seeds.. but i dont think its true its all different .. ive had all different size seeds on the same plant also.. then others were all the seeds r pretty much the exact same size too . no CLUE.

S

Sat X RB

was given five Purple Rhino seeds ... one was twice the size of the rest. that plant grew bigger, bushier, but heads were not so dense as the others.

dr.penthotal

Chasing the orange grapefruit rabbit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
seeds size is directly involved with mother plant's calyxes' size.
half of the cake is anyway brought by the father pollen and this can change a lot in seed appearence.
on the same plant different pollen makes different seeds. maybe darker or striped or pale.
indoor also distance from light may do sum difference as well lit calyxes tend to grow larger, as well as the seed forming inside.
we are speaking about fully mature seeds.
nice to hear the detail of %germ rate compared to seeds size. I've heard that sum nutes imbalance during maturing can lead to harder shells in seeds.
hope this helps
dr.p

Harpo

weeddaddy50,

Only way to know for sure is try a trial run, sprout a few and grow them out.

In the old days, 1974's, Columbian seeds were small and dark. Thai Stick seeds were very large. Thai sap would be blood red when I pinched a vegitative top.

If the seeds have some tint and normal shape, they are mature. Most of us have seen a seeded bag. These are mostly mature seeds. . .

Immature seeds look, well, immature. You can spot them in a second. Immature fresh seeds are white to cream. They don't have a mature shape. They are more rounded to smallish, and often odd shaped.

I've seen immature seeds sprout. It doesn't hurt to always try. Size doesn't matter.

It takes five to seven weeks to produce mature seeds. Depending on light strength and strain. Clean them from the bud and let the seeds dry at room temp., away from sun and heat for a couple of weeks.

After that I freeze em. Freezer bags inside of Tupper ware. Don't let them freezer burn.
I've grown my own for a very long time. I've ten year old seeds that still germ like fresh seed.
Put the fresh, dry seeds in your freezer for at least a couple of weeks before trying to germinate.

I get much better, and faster germination when I freeze the seeds for at least a couple of weeks before germinating.

Here are pictures of two year old seeds I'm germinating. White Widow F2s, and a cross I made of Mr Nice SSH x Rez's SD V 3.

These have had a one day soak. Both strains are already cracking!

As a side note; The moon is waxing. . .

Attachments

• ww and sssd seedlings one day soak 008.jpg
    ww and sssd seedlings one day soak 008.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 21
  • ww and sssd seedlings one day soak 009.jpg
    ww and sssd seedlings one day soak 009.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 24
good info.....I have quite a few projects going right now....and I am going to sprout my blowfish x Uk cheese x GSC "cherry" pheno....next.....but after that i will sprout those big seeds and see what happens.

I do remember those Columbian seeds were small and dark.....it was later though 1977-78......santa cruz mountains grown.....in those days it was either mex or green....no fancy names....every once in a while thai stick.....but that was good weed in those days.

inquest

I've noticed preflowers and lightly seeded buds in my Lebanese will have pretty large seeds. I chalked it up to "room to grow". Recently I harvested a few Loatians, all of these had room to grow ;), and noticed that while most had normal/medium sized seed one girl had huge black seed. She was also the most compact and potent of the grouping. A Malawi I ran with them had small to normal sized beans everywhere. Imo, genetics/lineage dictates followed by room and resources available.

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
I have heard that Sativa seeds are smaller in nature than Indica's. If your Pheno is a Hybrid perhaps it is showing traits from Both sides, as mentioned earlier in the thread sometimes stratifying seeds simulates winter and gets those hormones going, this would make sense with the larger Indica seeds being more cold tolerant.

Henrik

Interesting stuff this.. I have a few projects my self and i found that the plants who show a lot of the genes from mazar i sharif have HUGE seeds like you are talking about. they also have huge dense buds. germ problems, no notice of it. And as you probably already know it the difference between sativa, indica and afgani, small, medium and large.

cool thread!
I've come to the same observations as burning fire and inquest.

Seed size depends on calyxe size, no correlation for me on seed size and germination ratios. Deffinite correlation between seed age/storage method and seed germination. Large seeds often produce large seedlings.

Female preflower calyxes are larger and fewer than bud calyxes, also if pollinated can mature months in advance of the typical harvest date.
These seeds are larger because they've recieved a larger ratio of energy per seed than eg. a seed developing with 40 other seeds in a single bud.
These seeds can ensure survival of the species incase of threats that may endanger that later, larger seed production.

hope this helps

Grrrilla

Ive found that sat dom stuff has smaller seeds in general(due to generally smaller calyxes) and indi-dom stuff is larger, but there are exceptions, obviously...my own SE asian sativa has bigass seeds, for instance...
the blackberry kush S1's Im working with now has HUGE seeds, they germ just fine, but seem to require a longer soak/scuffing to actually get their heads up at the same time as other varieties soaked/germed on the same day. I also have some sat-dom blueberry x sour d F2's that are tiny and germ much faster, I would guess because their shells are thinner...with these, the seeds are all uniform in size, on the BBK S1's there is some variation, but its sleight....

Sativa Dragon

Veteran
Which one of the strains in your opinion have the largest seeds, and most decorative. One thing I have noticed over the years and confirmed with my new digital microscope is that some strains have a seriously artistic trippy looking design on them, and almost like a fingerprint I have found that pattern repeat itself inside individual buds on one node, pretty curious to me but there is alot of cool science behind the seed. I would love to find the biggest most artistic looking seeds for easter egg hunts ;)

Peace