What's new

Seed Prices Out of control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

u2seek42

Let me see, they grow weed where it is legal.
They then get to sell the weed.
Then they get to charge 10 11 12 bucks a seed.

A buck or 2 should be more than enough, for these growers.

Let weed be legalized and they will be out on their azz, and it will serve them right.

As an old school Hippie, I am truly disappointed by my fellow heads.

Nicoli

Veteran
The same could be said about anything really. Everything is expensive it seems these days..

statusquo

Weed is not legal where alot of breeders do their breeding. International distribution probably isn't very legal either. I do not think 100 dollars is unreasonable. Out of a pack of ten you are going to easily pay back the initial investment regardless of the quality of bud.

Granted you did your research, you should be getting solid genetics that took A LOT of time to develop. Also they can't control you selling off/giving away phenotypes for free/for profit either so I feel like this is somewhat factored into the equation. 20 dollars for a pack of ten should be considered a gift, not the statusquo...

I

Iron_Lion

Let weed be legalized and they will be out on their azz, and it will serve them right.

To put it bluntly quit bitching. A candy bar used to cost a dime, gas was 45 cents a gallon, things change get over it.

There's plenty of really good cheap seeds available if you dont have the cash, but in reality a pack of quality seeds has unlimted earning potential so the cost is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Complaining about it is likely to do nothing anyways, and the value of the euro has dropped quite a bit lately it is a good time to use your dollars to buy seeds.

Snype

Veteran

It cost money to produce seeds and takes a lot of risk and you are paid for that risk. It is not legal to most breeders. You're also not taking into account that they have to pay for retail space or sell to a store for a percentage. If you feel so strong about this then you should take it upon yourself to start your own seed company and give all your beans away for free and we'll see if you feel the same way after doing the work. You hippies don't think too good sometimes.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I disagree. Most of the stellar varieties that we enjoy today were the result of the work of individuals. They chose to not grow for profit or for the head. Instead they devoted time, space, and energy to creating something special. That is why people chase these cuts. Since it's much easier than popping seeds and searching for that amazing cut.

Anyone can chuck some pollen. I just did it recently myself. Crossed a reclining buddha male from Soma with most of my other strains. I've gathered at least 100 seeds. The thing about it though is that I know nothing about what the results will be. I've not grown any to be able to see what phenos are present. What traits are dominant. What traits are recessive.

If I buy seeds from someone like Breeder Steve. I know what went into these strains, what the phenos will be, what the flowering time is, what the preferred growing method is( i.e. topping, training etc....). I think his price for seeds is very very fair.

There are other "breeders" who are charging what I consider to be too high of a price for work which is not thoroughly tested, doesn't germ, is not consistent or stable etc....Still if someone wants to pay them, that's their choice. I am thankful for ICMAG because you can see what results people are getting. Also they go through several hands, so the price goes up. We don't buy direct from Mosca, we buy from Gypsy. They make the sites and info available, and that costs. They have to make a living as well. It also takes lots of people to run a breeding operation and nowadays no one works for free. So a buck or 2 is not going to do anything for you. People are buying 10 packs, finding a cut, and growing it indefinitely. It's not like you're selling them a piece of bread everyday. Hell a piece of bread costs a buck or two.

I think that 40 for random f2's etc... to 100 for something nice,worked, and proven is reasonable. I've paid more for seeds because it was the only way the cut would be available to me. I don't know anyone who has the MSS clone so I bought the Head MSS X SDV3 for a good chunk of change. To me it was worth every penny. He made something available to me which I could not have guaranteed I would ever see.

P.S. Where I'm from we can't sell weed if it's seeded. I've got a whole bunch full of seeds. It's definitely not for sale. Thankfully I vape, so it's fine for me. No one is trying to smoke seeds. So I don't think they are selling the weed and the seeds. Just the seeds.

Someone once called my friends mom a hippie and she made a point to say. "I was an activist. The difference is hippies just talked about doing things, we actually did them"

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

Nothing stopping you from making your own seeds useek , i think the ones for sale are for folks who wont or cant make their own ..

where is this wonderful place where you can legally produce seeds if you are talkin about holland/spain you got to look up your facts.if you want quaility seeds breed well produced correctly you have to PAY.there is nothing free in this life do you have any idea how long it takes to correctly grade seeds and it is the worst job in the world just try pickin the bad seeds out of a batch of 1000 and you will start to understand pricing

statusquo

Nothing stopping you from making your own seeds useek , i think the ones for sale are for folks who wont or cant make their own ..

This is certainly not true. You are paying for the copious amounts of work that goes into growing out generations and picking out the best genetics. You are also paying for Clean (not infections from cuts), guaranteed (if you are buying from a reputable source) genetics where the grower often even leaves instructions for way to maximize yields. This is much easier than popping a bunch of random beans, growing them out and doing all the trial and error for yourself. It would take hundreds of hours to produce dank/stable genetics on your own and from scratch that could be available to the masses.

Toyot4

you can't run a business and give shit out for free.

profit = reward for the risk being taken. shipping seeds transcontinentally is a very risky business and therefore should be rewarded with some $. if it becomes legal, say in california, of course seed prices will drop because they don't have to ship them across the atlantic and back to get them to you.

use some common sense stoners.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
I don't think prices are out of control. Would suck if I didn't clone and wanted to try everything out there I guess. Learn to make S1 seeds if you don't want to pay for more seeds.

I mean it sucks that it costs a hundred bucks a pack but it sucks that my internet costs me nearly that much, every month.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
This is certainly not true. You are paying for the copious amounts of work that goes into growing out generations and picking out the best genetics. You are also paying for Clean (not infections from cuts), guaranteed (if you are buying from a reputable source) genetics where the grower often even leaves instructions for way to maximize yields. This is much easier than popping a bunch of random beans, growing them out and doing all the trial and error for yourself. It would take hundreds of hours to produce dank/stable genetics on your own and from scratch that could be available to the masses.
it certainly is true ,, anyone can make seeds and with some research do it quite successfully .. Im well aware of what goes into it all , and theres plenty of hobby breeders doing a good job of making their own seeds at home .. check the donations constantly streaming in to support this place ..

mmmcake

you also have to consider the return for your investment. each bean can produce a lot of medication for some of us. well worth the price in my eyes.

u2seek42

Well it is as it is

Well it is as it is

Well I'm not surprised, by the split here.
The fact is for the first time I've been embarrassed to be a head.

From this site, the petty bickering, the fights over what fukin fert.

The rip off prices of all the gear plus the seeds, 12 bucks for a seed that may not germ, may be a male, maybe a hermie
Fuk yeah that's a fair price.

And to you goofs, just where do you think these seeds are being grown, do you think they are hiding to grow 9 gens?

I may have to rethink smokin herb, if this is the effect it has on your brains.

M cake, that great next time you have a blinding headache you won't mind paying 12 buck for an aspirin.

The fact is many of these seed banks are affiliates, they make nothing do nothing, but drop em in the mail.

Sadly I have just ordered from ASM and have been reading good and bad reports, nothing sent, crap seeds, etc.

The owner of this site has 3 fukin seeds for 64 bucks, seems like a lot of you like to bend over.

Just disgusted!

You claim to be an old hippy??? You sound more like a 15 year old whiney kid. You have a lot of research to do, lol... And what is a "HEAD"??? I also don't see much of a split...

smokefrogg

Veteran

have you ever bred your own seeds?

then work that strain over and over to really dial in the phenos you want?

i haven't, but i'm very well aware that it can be an incredibly time consuming project, not to mention the space and patience required

the breeders time is worth something, it is worth a lot if it produces something awesome

$10~$20 a seed really isn't that much when one considers what could become of the seed if tended to carefully in addition to all of the time and energy that went into dialing that breed of seed in

p.s. as the son of 2 oldschool hippies i've got to say that your time and energy do have worth to them, so do the seed breeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts