What's new

Security measures for outdoors.

Ulysses said:
Hit the plot and get out fast. Nothing is more pleasurable to me than to stand in the middle of the grow and smell the roses as it were... Resist the temptations!

Good luck and grow well...
That is why I am happy to legally grow my 215. Besure to work towards leagalization. So you can stop and inhale that sensual, headiy aroma. If I could not enjoy that, I might give up growing and smoking.

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
Just a note on the fishing hooks, rarely are they sharp out the package. You need to sharpen them so they're sticky to the touch. Sharp hooks catch more fish. Ask my skunked buds.

G

This site is OPEN to the www. Nice subject matter, I am sure it brings our movement a lot of support. Fish Hooks?

TyStik

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The most notable case about traps with fish hooks was the disfigurement of a 5 yr old girl...(West Coast)..who didn't know what they were in the first place...

Traps something I feel strongly about, so, let's break down the potential scenarios:

1. Innocent person get hurt-Your fucked.
I've seen first hand "regular" people come across a patch and the speed which they want to get far away was amusing. The "average" person will not report anything. They don't want to be involved. They're afraid.

Harm to innocent? LE possibly crawling up your ass,and quite possibly new armed enemy who doesn't want your plants, they want your ass...(Someone hurt my 5yr old child, I'd make a weekend of it, just you, me, couple others, salt, lemon juice, hammer, nails, some duct tape and a woodchipper for when I felt I had enough.

Innocent harmed you've automatically undergone the transformation from "those hippy pot growers" to violent, armed drug traffickers, and, in case you didn't know, sentencing would reflect the latter...., turning what could have started as simple probation depending on specifics to 10+ years hard time. No breaks.

I forgot...there's an option B to the above:
You kill an innocent and you have 10x more LE searching for them.

2. Hurt LE-Your fucked
You've just upgraded from cultivation to assault and possibly attempted murder of an officer, with anything else they would throw on, and, they most likely would go the extra mile to get your identity, when in reality, if they would have found them in the first place, it might have just been a business card in the stalks/stumps.

3. LE killed-Your fucked.
As above, extra mile will be taken. Period. DNA, forensic teams searching for any and all trace evidence which we usually leave behind but a simple cultivation charge doesn't warrant the quarantine of a sq. mile of forest.

Once again changing a simple charge with potential probation into, yep, you guessed it, guaranteed life.

Ohhhh....that's right...the thieves.........I forgot......:smoke:
They'll still take it, and, most likely want your ass also. Congratulations, you've just entered guerilla warfare with an enemy you can't even identify until it's too late......(and, since you have to go back for other plots, well, that guarantees they will have many chances at you :smoke:....)

Or, they might just turn in a tip or keep you on backburner for a get out of jail free in case they have to deal :smoke:

I dunno.........call me crazy, but, all I see there is guaranteed loss of crop(s), and of course, the bonus, upgrades from probation to mandatory minimums, or , best case scenario, a war.

Booby traps senseless, pointless, and completely against ones best interest any way you slice it. Better to stick with the basic rules...and have minor loss. (Rules including you spread things out as far as possible, limits to how many each plot, so that any loss, man or beast, can be absorbed and is merely "the cost of doing business"......)

Last, but not least:
Harming another grower who is doing the same general location as you.

(We've shared many spots with others in past....we left them alone, they left us alone, but, make no mistake...You might not see me, but, I know who you are :smoke:...and, as above.....there would be a problem if some asshole caught me with his shit when I wasn't touching it in the first place.......rewind to woodchipper :smoke:......)

Any way you slice it, traps counterproductive....(Some will say bad karma, etc, yeah, sure, but, all don't subscribe to such thought, so, I left it out.......) Everything else applicable to anyone, anywhere.

Traps do nothing but increase your risk and exposure 100 fold, and are for amateurs. All they do is draw attention..

Sure many can relate to walking right past their own plots....(fuck, I do 50 times a season...once took me 5+ passes to see em.....)....Not easy to spot most things unless your right on top of em in the first place.

Edit: That little 5yr old girl?

Countless sessions of facial reconstructive surgery...

You think she knew what they were?

You think she would have run and told her parents what she saw?

1 minute, she would have walked through, and been gone forever...

All for nothing....

Unless they're pro (thieves), they're not going to be equipped or prepared to take it all (or close), and, once out, most likely not going to come back because they were freaking in first place......(I say it all the time...plant or two?...pfffft...take em. 2 out of countless more?....not a big deal.....cost of doing business...alternative could have been seizure of all, etc, so...minor loss, no biggie....it happens.....

Last edited:

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you.

And, you know, the above being said, quite a few might call me an extremely volatile and violent person....but......not at random, and, I try and do the least damage to the world around me as possible, as we all should, so, the above not said by a passive, non violent person :biglaugh:, ya know?....There's no honor in harming the weak, those less fortunate, children, animals, etc, for absolutely no reason. Those are ones who need protection by those stronger, not more persecution or abuse for someone already on the lower side of life and needing every foot up they can, ya know?

I'm also a firm believer of "justice".....mutilating a 5yr old child to protect a patch is in no way justice either....

In the end, whether one one extra p, or 100, or 1,000, it is still business...and anything and everything which disrupts or has the potential to disrupt business , should be weighed carefully.....and, most of the time, it's cheapest to avoid problems...

Violence is expensive. Problems are expensive. (ie: "Million dollar problems are created from ten cent mistakes"..........or something like that, in other thread :biglaugh:...)

(I'm working on my green calculator right now :biglaugh:.....My green calculator says 80% brought home safe is worth more than 100% protected and lost through discovery :smoke:...)

(I could launch into a bigger thing now because applies across the board, same with indoor....dogs, cameras, etc on an indoor just bring attention, and, a minor deterrent to true thieves, and, in reality, absolutely no added benefit or protection regarding LE. (ie: You gonna flush a 20k?.......and, unless your sitting looking directly at monitors that second...they're pretty much worthless.....)

Last, but not least, yes, I have seen people wander into patches on more than one occasion, (forgot when last, could have been in indoor thread...) and, sometimes some pretty funny shit...(2 walk by/in, stop, 1st starts looking around, up, down, left, right, like on candid fuckin camera, then turns around and runs into one behind him :biglaugh:...truly some comical shit........another time has family, and, felt bad cause they were truly scared....but, we know for a fact they said nothing, to anybody, at all..(very small and tight community.....)

Average person needs no deterrent......they're fuckin scared....and wanna GTF outta there...

Greatest factor regarding security for outdoor is working them in the right way......(hence treelines, varying sizes/planting dates, within denser areas, etc, etc.....as above, I know I'm not the only one to walk right past my own plots :biglaugh:....include typical protocol for in or out, and, you reduce potential problems dramatically, before the season even has gotten started.....

Last edited:

pakm4n

if you worried about when people see you introduce yourself under a fake name and be very friend let them know you are there often and what your reason for being there be creative =P and you should be much less worried

Smoke68

ROFL PAZVERDE!!!! HAHA!!!! No mang, I'm near the Canadian border!!!!
When you have 15 potential plots, and that was to be our living this past year, we where taking all considerations, stealth, access, light, shade, wind threat, rain/water flow, common ph topsoil condition, wildlife tracks.... the list goes on..
OH and I would just like to say... DO NOT BOOBY TRAP YOUR PLOTS!!!

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
k+ Julian, well said. traps are not cool at all for sure.

Smoke68, ok, so a little more up-north, still, it is an international boarder, considering Canada is known as a place to smuggle cannabis into the U.S as well as other home-land security issues, it is still not a safe place to grow. k+ for trying though.
peace

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PazVerdeRadical said:
k+ Julian, well said. traps are not cool at all for sure.
Thanks my friend, but , see, my point(s) is, forget all personal opinions...

I mean, there's no logic...it's not supported as above as productive, or beneficial in any way, shape or form....it's not in ones best interest, it would increase penalties, it would draw incalculable attention if something happened, I mean.......not supported by any line of thought, ya know?

If logical, reasonable, rational, supported?....Fuck, I might use em...., but, there's no upside...any way you slice it, their uses would just put one 100x+ worse than you were before you used em...(and, let's face it, they are put up to be used....ie: something you can't see, which can possibly main, is not a deterrent, it's an irreversible action taken without your presence to determine if action appropriate...or justified...or right thing to do....ones not there to make that decision...

No different from rigging up a 12 gauge on the door of an op.

(Talk above, fish hooks, etc......yeah?....what if something happens to you in your plots and you have to make a break for it and your only thoughts are driven by pure adrenaline..(Fresh in my mind, happened to me this season, barbed/razor wire fences, no other thoughts but getting away...).unfortunately, a very real possibility for 99% of us....Think walking into em would hurt? :smoke:...try running blindly full force into em...:smoke:...

PureSativa420

Very well said Julian! You are a 100% correct on this subject of trapping the surrounding areas of ya plants is just uncalled for and leads to bigger problems in the end!

I rather lose a handful of plants to the cops, rippers and mother nature then end up being a prisoner of the legal system any day!

Julian

Canna Consultant
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PureSativa420 said:
I rather lose a handful of plants to the cops, rippers and mother nature then end up being a prisoner of the legal system any day!
Hey! You have the same calculator I do!!!! :biglaugh:

(The Green model 420 series :biglaugh:)

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
I hear you Julian, not only is there the moral issue of possibly hurting someone who is not out to get your plants, but it is a very bad deterrent as well as an added security risk rather than a security measure.
protecting plants from predators and clumsy animals in a way that does not hurt them is another deal for sure though.
peace.

Smoke68

LOL Julian, I know exactly what you mean! I just can't place a trap knowing its pure design is to injure/maim/kill. I would never injure somebody over my plants, whether they be LEO, a little girl picking flowers or a ripper(unless I am about to die but that is another topic all in it's own thread...) I think that if I set out 10 plots with 5 plants each... and 1 plot is ripped, another is cut buy LEO and another 2 die due to environment, and I still have 6 plots to harvest... That is a fairly good harvest, and I will have done so KNOWING that next year when I am running to MY plot to plant again, that I am not running into any fish hooks/barbed wire/ bear trap bullshit...

Last edited:
G

Hi all,

While on the topic of booby traps, i'd like to hear your thoughts on the enviroment I grow in.

Booby traps are the norm here. The most common is a double barreled shotgun sawed off and wire to a path trigger and aimed at the knees. The second trap that is seen at almost every grow is the bango/ guitar string stretched tightly a few inches above the ground for tripping purposes that cause a fall onto sharpened 6" rebar stakes. Neither trap is intended to kill but both are intended to extract a toll.

The reason this occurs is because there are no jobs in the area or any way to earn a living. Just as our kin ran moonshine, now they grow smoke. Most of the families in these hills have been here since the late 1700's and have become isolated and don't like outsiders. The local communites depend on the money and are also supportive. Often, the feds cant get an indictment even when they have video evidence.

When a plot is cut here by the law, a family looses its annual income. Its hard to find anyone in the community that doesn't believe that a toll should be exstracted for that. The reasoning behind the booby traps is simple . To send a message to the police that a price will be paid if you come here.

This creates one tough grow enviro for a guy like me just trying to grow some personal medicine, but its real. Children don't go deep into the woods here, parents know better than that. Occasionally we'll get tourist but there are signs warning of dangers.
Whats your thoughts, Morale? Immoral?

Last edited:

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Run autoflowers, aside from some people on this site and a couple other sites, nobody (including LEO) thinks that the plants will be finishing June 10th. Nobodies even looking and even if they are, the plants are between 12 and 24 inches.

Run extreme photosensitve plants (gorilla gold, nigerian nightmare, maroc, ect ect), plants that finish early typically aren't in the sites of those that want to take them. Then your only best friend/enemy is mother nature.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
silverback, interesting scenario you pose for us... however, Julian's point still applies: how efficient are the booby-traps in keeping leo at bay? will these traps end up pissing leo off even more and make them go out for blood? at this point the issue ceases to be moral and it becomes an issue of efficiency; what other methods does a closed-community like the one you describe has to keep producing herbs and keep leo at bay?
are booby-traps the beginning and end of all in this case? are there smarter solutions as opposed to more violent ones?

G

Hey Paz,

The traps aren't effecient at all and yes leo is pissed and keeps escalating the situation with more and more extreme behavior. The real problem is that the people here aren't impressed or or afraid of the police and have a confrontational mindset that either we fight back or, they run all over us and force their outside ways and laws against us.- the traps are to make them pay for that trespass. Dummy patches planted so that they will be found and heavily booby trapped are common. These are planted and trappped just in an attempt to send a message to the eradication forces.

Alternatives? The real war started a couple of years ago when the anti smoking forces became successful in ending the domestic tobacco subsidies and crop production which was one of the last remaining legal ways to earn a living in the area. No tabacco, no whiskey, no coal, no pot. How are they to earn the money to live.

I raise this topic because there seems to be the tendency for growers to believe that all pot is grown for personal use or personal medicine. That isn't the case here.

PazVerdeRadical

Veteran
you know silverback, it seems as if that is the path they have chosen to take, and it seems they are within their rights to do it as well.
there is no right and wrong when it comes down to survival, it sounds as if they had been isolated in hopes to make them sell their lands for some reason, at least it is how it seems.

peace

PureSativa420

I completely understand Silverback about not all of its for personal or medical related reasons but the people here that do the other thing keep it hush hush :)

The whole reason i have over 100 acres in the backwoods for my own pleasures!, but then again I see no real reason for anyone to booby trap their grows rather for business or for personal! your asking for shit to hit the fan and get a extra 15 to 20 years added onto what they give ya in the first place!

As ive said let em take my plants! this is why I put out several hundred clones and plenty more late in the season!