What's new

Secret Jardin Grow Lab Club! Wattage doesn't matter!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Fa sho! I can't wait to be recirculating with a res! I'm also gonna get the CO2 Boost bucket thing cuz it's perfect for smaller tents like mine and I keep hearing wonderful things about them.

RediJedi

Hello there gro labbers. I have a gl 120 with a carbon filter, can fan combo that is hung up and works fine! My concern is, how many plants in three gal. pots could I realistically contain in here? I have 6 that just begun flowering under two 400 hps', but I know more pots can fit.

Here is my question and it pertains to my next grow: If I vegged for about 14 days in one gal. pots, transplanted them into three gal. pots in flower, while tying them down; could I possibly squeeze out 9-12 plants in a gl 120 with two 400s? Thank you.

Redijedi- I think 9-12 sounds reasonable. my experience with these is less plants go a long way. I used to 16 3 gal pots under each light (4 by 4) After switching to air pots i cut it down to 9. I think in reg pots those should be fine. (thats all on a 14 day veg)

The Wang

Hey. Getting back into growing some tomatoes.

I'm asking you guys the favor so I'll try to make it as easy as possible to fulfill by listing what I intend to have as well as specs.

Here is what I have so far:

Secret Jardin DR120W (Dimensions: 47.25" x 23.5" x 5'5")
I think I'm going to use 5 gallon smart pots (about 10.5"x12") (8 of them)

My question is, what will be better for this space? 400w or 600w?
I know hortilux makes some awesome HPS bulbs, so thats probably what I would use.

What kind of ballast do you guys recommend I get? Theres so many to choose from and they all seem to be the same except for name, but I want something reliable.

Hood reflector? I think I want to air cool my light.

With that in mind, what kind of ventilation system do I need? I want zero smell. Can filters seem to be the way to go. I heard the can fan + can filter combos were kind of mismatched because some of the fans suck too much air through the filter and the filter can't keep up.

Anyways, please post any additional questions you might have to further assist me.

Thanks all!

also, is Greners a reputable site to order stuff from?

BobLoblaw

I'm new to tent growing, so can't answer all your questions, but here's some insight at least.

You've got about 8 square feet there. So a 400W would give you 50W/SF or the 600W would give you 75W/SF. I'm assuming you're growing 'special tomatoes', which like around 55W/SF. So you could just get by with the 400W. I grow in a DR150W w/ a 100W HPS and a 400W HPS. It's not quite enough light, but i don't let my canopy fill the entire space and keep the light concentrated....so it's been working out alright.

I use the 4" HO can fan with (3) 4" passive intakes and nothing to directly cool my lights. I'm able to keep temps under about 72F (at the canopy), but i may end up needing to cool my bulbs directly come summertime.

The fan exhausts into a homemade charcoal filter directly into the room containing the tent. I get a little smell, but not much....probly because my filter has 3 year old charcoal. I wouldn't shell out the cash for a filter...look on here for plans and make one yourself that you can change the charcoal on. I've never understood why people pay $200+ for a disposable filter.

I've ordered from Greners and was quite happy with the service.

BobLoblaw

while I'm here....here are some pics from my first tent grow in a DR150W

DSCF0136.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

Hey. Getting back into growing some tomatoes.
MmmmmmHmmm... :moon:
With that in mind, what kind of ventilation system do I need? I want zero smell. Can filters seem to be the way to go. I heard the can fan + can filter combos were kind of mismatched because some of the fans suck too much air through the filter and the filter can't keep up.

I highly recommend Phresh brand filters. They weigh significantly less, I think they cost lest, and they work great.

I've never understood why people pay $200+ for a disposable filter.

IMHO, air filtration is the LAST place anyone should skimp. I know for a fact that people build kick-ass DIY filters (and it sounds like you are among them), but it gives me peace of mind to know that I have a pro-grade filter, helps me sleep easier at night.

while I'm here....here are some pics from my first tent grow in a DR150W

DSCF0136.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

Nice canopy, what in the world are those .....beds? that you have your plants in, looks interesting! What's your grow method?

MasterKush420

New tent grower

New tent grower

Hey guys, glad to see theres alot of fellow tent lovers.

i Recently purchased a DR80...im new to growing ans started out last year with only a 150w HPS light...i know thats very small amount of light output, but was hoping to make it threw another season of cloning befor i upgrade to 400w...has anybody used 150w HPS ballasts to any amount of success?

was planning on upgrading for next year with some sort of fan or intake system...

would appreciate any suggestions on good ventilation ideas

thanks guys, happy growing and hoping to talk to yall soon

Hydropimp

Veteran
I have a ? for cooling 2k.

I will place a 4x8 tent in a room. The room has a window a /c that I will use to cool.

Now do I cool the whole room or duct it to the tent?

I don't know how many btu's the window banger is have to wait till the 1st to move in.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well I'd cool the whole room cuz the a/c is also a dehumidifier so it may drop it too low for you ya know? But if you have a res in the tent you may want that cuz my buddy just had problems with humidity in his Grow Lab w 2k cuz the res was in the tent...

TryChrome

i'm in... i gotta dr150 and a 400w HPS on a digital ballast and i'm gonna put another light in there which will be a 400w MH. and i'm really thinkin about doin 3 400 watts in the tent but i was wondering if heat would be an issue and also with a 5x5 tent is it big enough for 1200 watts ???

check my thread out... i'm a newbie to the site... give me some love yo !!!
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=165338

Just ordered my DR80 last night! be here in 2 days! $185 delivered. the place I bought it from is only 3 hour away, just in case I have any real probs with it.

Ive been running a 400w HPS in a 2x2x4, I dont feel Ive maxed out that space yet. My best yeild was 5.8oz's of of 3 plants.

I know I can run anywhere from 4-8 girls in a DR80.... Im going to upgrade my ballast and inline also, so Im wondering.......

Is a 600w HPS cooltubed to much for the DR80? (82w/sft, 12.3k lumens/sft) Im either going to get a new Quantum or Lumatek 600w or 400w. I have a 4 year old 400w mag ballast Im using now.

Anybody out there running a DR80 with a 600?

I was going to get the hydrohut silver 2x4 with the 600, but my wife thought the tent was just a bit to big, (gotta keep her happy ;) she keep the hobby of my dreams alive!!) So Im still up in the air whether to stay with and get a new 400 or upgrade to the 600.

What your opinions?

Thanks!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well you could rock a 600 cool tubed I would think as long as you can keep your temps right and then you'd be rocking that tent!! They recommend a 250w -400w for the DR80 and I'm running a Digital 400w and my first harvest which was a fucked up run on more than half of it was 11oz and maybe a lil more than that. I have a friend that gets 1.5lbs under a 600w HPS over a 3x3 table so I think it's very possible to pull a pound under a 400 or 600 especially in a DR80 probably need co2 to get that mark but I'm trying for it next run!

Also get the Quantum ballast dude that's what I would do since they are certified to work with the Sun Pulse digital HID bulbs that have the best selection of spectrums for HID bulbs anywhere! You can match the Sun if you veg with the 6400K bulb then flower with the 2800K bulb and switch to the 10000K bulb the last 10-12 days of flowering and you will get the best quality you've ever seen from what I hear...