What's new

Secret Ingredient?!?

h.h.

Veteran
My secret ingredient is old age. I have time (no job) to spend hours doing research (daydreaming and smoking cannabis). I no longer look for get rich quick schemes or bottled miracles or think one ingredient holds the secret(s) to plant life. I spend my efforts on keeping my microbes happy because one day they will be in charge of my decomposing, so i want them well fed for now......scrappy
And that's why I keep my dogs well fed.

S

SeaMaiden

I include many powerful ingredients that are seldom used by other growers, but these two items really changed my game: Sea Minerals (Sea-90) and Raw Milk (non-fat variety).

I have NOT been able to source raw milk locally, but I *have* been using the Sea-90. Sometimes by itself, sometimes in combination with some fermented plant extract. Last foliar we had some non-fat milk that spoiled so I threw that in there. Blossom end rot? What's that?

The Sea-90 is something I'm liking. I also tasted it and it could be used as a seasoning in cooking, IMO. Oddly enough, it doesn't cause the terrible rashes that sea salt normally does on my forearms.
E420
Look into coral as a lime substitute. You'll be happily surprised!
http://gocoral.com/component/content/article/48
If it's fossilized coral, isn't it then dolomite or another type of limestone (which are created from the skeletons of dead, fossilized coral reefs)? I'm glad that it's not being sourced via living coral reefs.

However, as you can see, coral is comprised of a few more substances than just CaCO3 (if it were only CaCO3 then reefkeepers' lives would be much easier!).

Different micro- and macroalgaes (kelp is a macroalgae) offer you different things. Exactly the same as with plants. I'm currently failing to understand, for example, why some feel it's important to remain tied only to Ascophyllum nododom and not, for example, Caulerpa spp. or other fast-growing algaes, especially those that are known as nutrient-fixers or used to clean water columns of excess nutrients, P being one of the 'big' ones. I feel they can all offer some utility. Maybe even Halimeda spp (calcareous marine algae) could offer some utility.

Interesting, what the ocean can offer us, isn't it?

Scrappy4

Veteran
I have an unused bag of organic fish meal and I quit using any liquid fish over a year ago. I rely on plant materials for whatever it is that I'm supposed to be concerned about.

But if I ever had an Ars-Cad deficiency (Arsenic & Cadmium) then I'd know immediately how to deal with it quickly and efficiently - fish emulsion!

CC

Welcome To The Jungle lyrics
Songwriters: Steven Adler;Duff Mckagan;Axl Rose;Izzy Stradlin;Saul Hudson

Welcome to the jungle, we got fun 'n' games
We got everything you want, honey we know the names
We are the people that you find, whatever you may need
If you got the money, honey we got your disease

In the jungle, welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your kn-kn-knees, knees
I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the jungle we take it day by day
If you want it you're gonna bleed but it's the price you pay
And you're a very sexy girl whose very hard to please
You can taste the bright lights but you won't get them for free

Feel my, my, my, my serpentine
I, I wanna hear you scream

Welcome to the jungle it gets worse here everyday
You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play

If you got a hunger for what you see, you'll take it eventually
You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me

I'm gonna watch you bleed

And when you're high you never
Ever want to come down
So down, sucked down, so down, yeah

You know where you are, you're in the jungle baby
You're gonna die

In the jungle welcome to the jungle
Feel my, my, my, my serpentine
Jungle, welcome to the jungle

Down in the jungle, welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your
It's gonna bring you down, huh

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
why some feel it's important to remain tied only to Ascophyllum nododom and not, for example, Caulerpa spp

Mmmmm - 110 years of clinical research beginning at Oxford University under the auspices of the Royal Botanical Society?

You're back to Elements only. You can't possibly be making a claim that green algae (freshwater or marine) is on any level as brown seaweeds are you? 200+ compounds is a big hit to take.

Then again a review of plant compounds from this species would be helpful for comparison. I've got the brown kelp list of compounds down and let me help out with the list for green algae so that others can compare.

if it's fossilized coral, isn't it then dolomite or another type of limestone

Mineral Zone - World's Mineral Exchange

CC

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Dolomite

Calcium Magnesium Carbonate - CaMg(CO3)2

Dolomite is named for the French mineralogist Deodat de Dolomieu. They are found all over the world and are quite common in sedimentary rock sequences. These rocks are called appropriately enough dolomite or dolomitic limestone. Disputes have arisen as to how these dolomite beds formed and the debate has been called the "Dolomite Problem"

Dolomite at present time, does not form on the surface of the earth; yet massive layers of dolomite can be found in ancient rocks. That is quite a problem for sedimentologists who see sandstones, shales and limestones formed today almost before their eyes referred to as The Dolomite Problem

Dolomite is a double carbonate of Calcium and Magnesium, CaCO3, MgCO3. The mineral was first identified by Count Dolomien in 1791 and named after its discoverer. It is of sedimentary origin and is supposed to have been formed due to chemical action of sea-water containing high percentage of magnesia, on limestone.

Theoretically, dolomite contains:

CaCO3 54.35%
MgCO3 45.65%

In other words, it contains:

CaO 30.4%
MgO 21.7%
CO2 47.9%

In nature, considerable variations in the composition of dolomite relating to lime and magnesia percentages are found. When the percentage of CaCO3 increases by 10% or more over the theoretical composition, the mineral is termed 'calcitic dolomite', 'high-calcium dolomite' or 'lime-dolomite'. With the decrease in percentage of MgCO3, it is called 'dolomitic limestone'. With the variations of MgCO3 between 5 to 10%, it is called 'magnesian limestone', and upto 5% MgCO3 or less it is taken to be limestone for all purposes in trade and commercial parlance.

Dolomite usually contains impurities, chiefly silica, alumina and iron oxide. For commercial purposes, the percentage of combined impurities should not go beyond 7% above which, it becomes unsuitable for industrial use. It is then used only for road ballasts, building stones, flooring chips etc.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Calcite

Calcium Carbonate - CaCO3

The name calcite comes from a Greek word meaning lime. This comes from its chemical component, Calcium Carbonate, which sometimes is mistakenly known as "lime" - Calcite is known in more than 300 forms of crystals.

Calcite is a carbonate of lime (CaCo3). It crystallizes in rhombohedron class. It is also known by the name calc-spar. It is white in colour but is also found in various shades like pink, brown etc., depending upon the impurities present. It is identified easily from other lime minerals by its well defined rhombohdral cleavage and hardness 3 of Moh's scale. Its composition is identical to that of limestone but the latter occurs as sedimentary beds.

There is another mineral, Aragonite, of the same chemical composition. It crystallizes in orthorhombic system. It is, however, an unstable mineral, found mainly associated with Gypsum beds and the tests of reef-building corals. It is not found in the same large quantity as that of calcite.

Calcite is found in veins traversing various rock types, particularly limestone of the Aravalli and Ajabgarh series in Rajasthan, India. Calcite veins 30 to 150 cm. Thick, running uniformly sometimes for long distances, are usually found. Calcite also occurs as calcareous tufa, travertine, stalactite and stalagmite

Oyster Shell Powder/Flour from Pacific Pearl in Petaluma, California is another source of Calcium Carbonate from ancient deposits under San Francisco Bay.

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
Clack...sorry you had a bad experience with Sea Minerals; it probably caused an imbalance with your other stuff--which might explain your "bad experience" and justify my "good experience".

I don't follow stoner logic (use Potion A + Potion B from those liter bottles of liquid salts sold at hydro stores with cartoon characters on the label). So maybe something is doubling/tripling in your routine. However, if your plant has access to about 90 or so "sea minerals" as well as to about 90 or so "land minerals", imo--your plant has every mineral element it needs (we just gotta tweak quantities and timing).

These 3 magic words are golden: "Less is Best". It is real easy to "add more later", but damn near impossible to "take it back" once the plant owns it.

My numbers: 5 ml of Sea Minerals per gallon of water...and when transplanting to 5 gallon containers, I add 5 ml to the fertility mix for each container.

Cheers!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
EF20

I'm familiar with the different sea mineral products from a few articles in Acres USA Magazine over the past 4 or 5 years which is one of the main publication for sustainable agriculture. I'm not unfamiliar with the products or their claims. I've read Dr. Murray's work extensively and the reviews both good & bad. The correct dosage is paramount and in that regard there is a wide range of experience from farmers across the board.

Still at the end of the day - it's sea salt.

But if using high-grade worm castings from my bins along with organic Sphagnum peat moss and organic rice hulls is somehow throwing the benefit from this product out of whack then something is really goofy. Actually nutty on every level I could come up with.

Glad you're having good luck.

It's still sea salt

CC

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Stoner logic aside..... I believe I was stoned when I realized it was salt....self I said, "hey this is just salt"...so my-self recognized it as sea salt and that was that. Chocked it up as a stupid mistake even after reading all the mumbo jumbo that supported its use.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Like the ancient joke about Smart Pills which turned out to be dried rabbit droppings

"But it's just rabbit sh*t!"

"See - you're getting smarter already"

S

SeaMaiden

Thank you for proving me correct regarding coral-based stone/mineral forms. The two algae links are the same page, was there something else you meant to show? Since that site is focused on marine algae they would not necessarily be showing any data on F/W algal forms, would they? Arthrospira spp (aka Spirulina in the common nomenclature)--do you know what it is, how it's cultured and what it offers? That is but one example off the top of my head, but when it comes to The Life Aquatic, I can dance all day long. I'll even go so far as to point out that it's quite common for cyanobacteria to be thought of and referred to algal forms. But the real point I'm trying to make is that it very well may have something to offer.
why some feel it's important to remain tied only to Ascophyllum nododom and not, for example, Caulerpa spp

Mmmmm - 110 years of clinical research beginning at Oxford University under the auspices of the Royal Botanical Society?

You're back to Elements only. You can't possibly be making a claim that green algae (freshwater or marine) is on any level as brown seaweeds are you? 200+ compounds is a big hit to take.

Then again a review of plant compounds from this species would be helpful for comparison. I've got the brown kelp list of compounds down and let me help out with the list for green algae so that others can compare.

if it's fossilized coral, isn't it then dolomite or another type of limestone

Mineral Zone - World's Mineral Exchange

CC

There is a rainbow of colors of algae that occur in the wild, CC. They occur in am amazing variety of environments and conditions. I have my personal observations as well as the professional (scientific) observations that suggest that almost *any* rapidly growing, nutrient-fixing algae, micro or macro, may have something to offer. That's the suggestion I'm making and I don't see how it can be read any other way.

Have other macroalgaes been tested and/or worked with at all, or for very long, for example? Or have they remained tied to that which is most easily and readily available to them? What about macros from other seas?

Because I can confidently assure you that they all have something to offer in terms of both nutrient cycling and nutrition for animals, I believe I can easily make the suggestion that they very well may have something to offer in this context.

That is the claim I'm making.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Here's my favorite sea salt product from the EM-1 folks - EM-X Gold Salt priced at 2.5 lbs. for $197.90 - that's slightly less than $80.00 per lb. just to keep things honest here.

Here's why it costs so much perhaps:
EM·X Gold® Sea Salt is used to safely enhance the natural flavors of foods.

Producing EM·X Gold® Sea Salt involves the careful selection of clean and nutrient-rich seawater harvested from the depth of 612 meters off Okinawa, Japan and the scientific processes to extract the naturally occurring beneficial elements.
Now that is a story to tell isn't it?

Lazy-Media-Shit-Shinola.jpg

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Thank you for proving me correct regarding coral-based stone/mineral forms. The two algae links are the same page, was there something else you meant to show? Since that site is focused on marine algae they would not necessarily be showing any data on F/W algal forms, would they?

That is more than inaccurate to say the least.

Thanks for your input

CC

supermanlives

Veteran
couldnt one just use some sea water?. if anyone has at what rates? never tried salt or water. but i do use kelp and collect it from ocean too.bringing home some water wouldnt be an issue.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
There isn't a single sea salt that doesn't make the same claim as the 'agriculture' products - Himalayan Pink, Hawaiian Blue, Portuguese Grey, Mediterranean Blue, blah, blah, blah - same 83 minerals (how about callin them Elements?)

I'd be shopping price and little else...

CC

EclipseFour20

aka "Doc"
Veteran
For a different point of view...may I suggest the info at these links

Raw Milk, Sea Minerals & Immunity issues about some cows...http://www.nutrient-dense.info/dairy/MineralsMilkImmunity.pdf
Story about buffalo and their preference to grass treated with sea minerals...http://www.carbon-negative.us/docs/OnondagaBuffalo.pdf
Maximum Yield story from the June 2010 issue, go to page 62...http://issuu.com/maximum-yield/docs/my_usa_june_2010
Go to page 94 for part II from the July issue....http://issuu.com/maximum-yield/docs/my_usa_july2010
And...for independent analysis of Sea90...http://www.seaagri.com/docs/uga_analysis.pdf

BTW...table salt, kosher salt, sea salt, sea minerals are not the same--unless you believe "tang" and "orange juice" are the same.

I pay $40 for 50 pound bag of Sea 90...plus $35 for delivery, so that works out to be $1.50 per pound, which is OK, since most of my amendments are around $1 per pound (most less--few more).

And for a great source of natural silica and calcium...Fossil Shell Flour is the real deal (food grade diatomaceous earth is from fresh water sources, not oceans)...and I pay about $25 for $50 pound bag.

Cheers!

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
superman

Yachts carry desalination equipment on board - probably not a bad idea. So if you took seawater and ran it through the RO technology, what would you end up with as far as 'solids' or whatever the correct terminology is.

Thanks!

CC

S

SeaMaiden

That is more than inaccurate to say the least.

Thanks for your input

CC

Wait a minute. You have nothing else to say about anything I had to say? Why are you so dismissive of an area where I happen to have a good bit of knowledge (some might say expertise, given my knowledge and experience, though I won't make that claim) based both on the books and experience? And what you posted is so accurate or so different from what I had to say?

In one instance you're saying "diversity is key!" and in another you're saying it's all the same. I can tell you that not all seas are the same, not all conditions are the same, not all organisms are the same. The products that come from the sea very well may be as different as the seas from which they come, and I can make that suggestion, or claim as you're calling it, with a great degree of certainty.

So, why is diversity in one instance (fermented plant extracts, living soil and/or no-till beds, composts, etc, etc, etc) so great and in another not so great? I'm not talking about the culinary colored salts, I'm talking about these organisms themselves. Have you ever cultured a single 'seaweed' (macroalgae more properly) yourself? Do you know what they need, how they grow, what they may or may not do depending on the very same sorts of conditions that we can assuredly claim affect terrestrial plants; i.e. mineral content, O2/CO2 ratios, overall nutrient content (red tide, anyone?), etc, etc, etc, etc? Because based on what you're posting I would venture a guess and say you haven't.

Can you tell me why it is that the flora and fauna of the Red Sea are so different from other tropical areas? Why is it that the Bali Sea and South Pacific are so incredibly biologically diverse? (So are the terrestrial lands, as it so happens, but it all began in the sea, as it so happened.) Can you discuss mangroves, their function and utility in the greater oceanic realm without Googling? Can you talk to me what functions the abundant Polychaetous Annelids play in those mangroves islands and waterways? (It's closely related/tied to the very same functions many terrestrial annelids play, just to offer a hint.)

While you're so busy denigrating me and dismissing what I have to offer via my knowledge of aquatic environments and simultaneously touting a bigger picture, you're missing that very same bigger picture. The very same ocean-based products you're discussing and endorsing are many of the same I've worked directly with as living organisms, including many of the macroalgae (I can include experience working at a public aquarium, as well as some publication to my credit in this area).

Why this dichotomy, why here? It makes no sense. Just because *you* don't see what one thing has to do with another doesn't mean it may not tie back, and in this instance, these instances (coral and what it contains, and macroalgae or kelp or seaweed as laypeople like to call it) it very well may.

You're welcome to my input. You're not welcome to denigrate.