What's new

SCROG advice needed please.

E

e4ian

awesome m8. makes me think BUCK UP when i look at your's n others grows.
interesting line up. :)
from what ive just seen the blue meanie is the stretchiest of my lot [in pots],good for scrog yes.

:dance013: eeeeeeeee. etc. ..my typing skills are phenomenal :)

Warped1

I'm a victim of fast women and slow horses
Veteran
Dude you have scrogerman and VerdantGreen in the house, way cool. These guys can teach you so much. I'm tagged

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey speedemon, the notes i try to take are how long i veg each cut for before i flip them (my screens are smaller and pots bigger so i often repot, fit the screen and then flip them at the same time - sometimes i veg em in the big pots for a week or so. if one ends up stretching too much (i have limited height) then i'll try and veg it less next time. of course many other variables will influence the outcome too but you do get some idea of what will be better next time.
also i note how much N i add to the soil for each strain/cut - the idea being that they start to yellow at the right point 2-3 weeks before chop.

another thing i would say about scrog is that you should aim to get a bit of height above the screen. ideally let some nice colas form so you have a 'box' full of colas rather than a flat screen of buds - this can help the yield.

recently ive gone back to using MH lamp for the first 3 weeks and this definitely helps keep the internodals shorter during stretch - which of course will help the yield.

the good thing about scrog is that even a badly trained/timed scrog will still yield well, and as you do more runs you really get a 'feel' for the way it's going and its easier to judge what's needed.

cheers

VG

S

speedemon

hey speedemon, the notes i try to take are how long i veg each cut for before i flip them (my screens are smaller and pots bigger so i often repot, fit the screen and then flip them at the same time - sometimes i veg em in the big pots for a week or so. if one ends up stretching too much (i have limited height) then i'll try and veg it less next time. of course many other variables will influence the outcome too but you do get some idea of what will be better next time.
also i note how much N i add to the soil for each strain/cut - the idea being that they start to yellow at the right point 2-3 weeks before chop.

another thing i would say about scrog is that you should aim to get a bit of height above the screen. ideally let some nice colas form so you have a 'box' full of colas rather than a flat screen of buds - this can help the yield.

recently ive gone back to using MH lamp for the first 3 weeks and this definitely helps keep the internodals shorter during stretch - which of course will help the yield.

the good thing about scrog is that even a badly trained/timed scrog will still yield well, and as you do more runs you really get a 'feel' for the way it's going and its easier to judge what's needed.

cheers

VG

Wow mate!! Thanks a lot for those words of advice, I will follow that guide.
I now need to know to look for yellowing 2-3 weeks of flowering.
I find using the GHE 3 part nutes in coco and following the schedule of flower (which is below) they yellow to soon, I use the vegging guide almost right the way to flowering, but just reducing Floragro and increasing bloom towards flush.

I would love to hear from anybody using their own GHE 3 part mixture other than the Lucas method, and still achieving great results?
The guy down my local hydro shop said the GHE range are very flexible and growers are using equal parts to achieve fantastic results? I have tried 10ml of each nute per 10 litre water, which worked for some strains but not for others, so I scrapped it and have gone back to the GHE guide, which is great really up until flowering when they yellow for to quick with lack of Nitrogen :(

:ying::ying::tiphat::thank you:

Last edited:

roll it large

Coco-grower
Veteran
You need to bump nitro up for first few weeks or stick to veg nutes for first few weeks into flower i have same prob with canna coco nutes i up ec at beginning then drop it off when i introduce pothash and headmasta

S

speedemon

You need to bump nitro up for first few weeks or stick to veg nutes for first few weeks into flower i have same prob with canna coco nutes i up ec at beginning then drop it off when i introduce pothash and headmasta

Cheers mate,
I use Headmasta all the way through but will reduce the N when I introduce Potash 3 weeks into flowering should do it :) :tiphat::ying:

mad librettist

Veteran
heya bro, you can turn all those unknown strains to your advantage. You just have to think outside the box a little:

you have a screen on each plant, but the plants don't know that. So train plants that stretch alot all the way onto the neighboring screen. If you keep fat- leaved plants next to thin leaved ones, it's not guaranteed you will have a staggered pattern but you will get it right enough to be worth it.

you are flowering into the fall, so I would go for big buds. when headed into a humid summer, aim for small buds.

M

Marathanman

Good luck with your Scrog I've switched back to using this system and getting better yields especially when growing different strains. As a rough guide as how tall I like them to finish above the screen I measure from the point of my elbow to the tip of my finger. Last time round I left them in veg a bit too long and ended up with more trim but not more bud.

S

speedemon

Hey mad librettist thanks for stopping by and sharing this great advice with me I will take it on board :) I am training now for a few hours per day as screen is filling fast, the Purple Kush Las Vegas cut is a bugger to train as stems are a lot thicker and greedy for light, I have to keep ticking fan leaves under screen.

Hey Marathanman hope your well friend :) The light is about that away at the moment between my elbow and the tip of my finger so if the buds stretch that much I will have to see how much further I could raise the shade.

mad librettist

Veteran
what are you tying them with?

watch out for stems getting fat that are tied too tight. I use velcro ties, so if I mess up it just pops out.

theherbalizor

Veteran
I love scrogging and bondage. Gave up with all that tieing down and bought a Max Tapener plant support strap gadget. Saves allot of time.

S

speedemon

Mad librettist : I will be using plastic coated twist ties when needed but at the moment I am using the plants upward pressure to grow and just bending and placing some where else. Thanks for the tip on the velcro ties I will look into them :)

theherbalizor : Hi mate thanks for stopping by :) I just looked up that gadget lol £48 is a bit steep for me at the moment and it looks great for supporting plants around canes etc, but how does it work using on a SCROG screen as it looks quite big and bulky? Do you have any photo's of your scrog and some of the tying work? Cheers.

theherbalizor

Veteran
Yeah a little pricy. But i use mine for my chillis also, gets loads of use. Well worth it. My fingers can not do that fine work of tying things these days,

I will try and take some shots when I do my next run, not long. I tend to use it in early stages, else I find the screen is plenty sufficient at holding banches in place. But the odd one that will persist in it's own agenda will get tapener treatment. Just same as tieing vertically to a Cain, but horizontally to the net. Best thing is is that it doesn't clamp tight, leaves plenty of room for stem growth.

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Looking good speed :)

The strains are Bluemeanie, Generals Daughter, Bluejack, Mango x SSH, Purple Kush and Psychosis lol.

Sounds like some nice strains there mate. Always liked a good scrog but I think I'm too impatient to wait the veg time out :D Seems your getting the right advice here so no doubt it will be a good run.

S

speedemon

Looking good speed :)

Sounds like some nice strains there mate. Always liked a good scrog but I think I'm too impatient to wait the veg time out :D Seems your getting the right advice here so no doubt it will be a good run.

Hi Shhh mate, hope your well :tiphat:
Thanks for the compliments :) I hope it will be a good run as well :ying:

M

Marathanman

Trying an experiment with a scrog this time. Packed one half out and done the other half a lot thinner to see which side yields more.

Attachments

• scrog.JPG
    scrog.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 11
  • scrog1.JPG
    scrog1.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 6
S

speedemon

Coming up to week 2 of flowering on Friday update

Coming up to week 2 of flowering on Friday update

Hey roll it, thanks for the reminder to update lol.

Hi Marathanman mate, that should be interesting to see if more space = more yield or if one bud site in every hole will = more yield?
I will stay tuned but I know for a fact looking at the pictures below I know I will have a fooking packed screen lol.

Photo's taken after more training, have not needed any ties so far.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
The flip is best determined by flowering period. If you've an 8 week strain, fill 1/2-2/3 of the screen before the flip. If you have a 15 week strain or longer, start under 12/12.

Latest posts

Latest posts