What's new

Schwarzenegger: Calif. Should Study Pot Laws

FreedomFGHTR

Veteran
Check this link for the video of him making the statement and vote on the poll
http://www.kcra.com/politics/19376738/detail.html
http://www.kcra.com/politics/19376738/detail.html said:
DAVIS, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said California should study other nations' experiences in legalizing and taxing marijuana, although he is not supporting the idea.

He said it's time to debate proposals such as a bill introduced in the state Legislature earlier this year that would treat marijuana like alcohol.State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, said taxing marijuana at $50 per ounce would bring more than $1 billion a year to the state.Schwarzenegger said during a Tuesday news conference that "it's time for debate" on the idea. But he warned against making harmful decisions just for the sake of raising money. He said some other nations have had negative experiences.Ammiano's bill is on hold in the state Legislature. He delayed seeking approval until next year.
Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

slappyjack

Dude… Schwarzenegger says it’s time to debate marijuana

Dude… Schwarzenegger says it’s time to debate marijuana

By Jimmy Orr | CSM | 05.05.09

Although President Obama last month dismissed the possibility of legalizing marijuana, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger says it’s time to talk about it.

Speaking at an event to promote wildfire safety, the governor was asked a question about “wild life” safety. Specifically, if it was time for the state to start legalizing and taxing marijuana use.

“Well, I think it’s not time for that, but I think it’s time for a debate,” Schwarzenegger said. “I think all of those ideas of creating extra revenues, I’m always for an open debate on it.”

Poll

A recent poll showed that 56 percent of Californians supported legalizing and taxing marijuana.

One bill in the California State Assembly would tax marijuana at $50 per ounce. The bill’s author claims the state would make over $1 billion per year on the tax.

Money

But it just can’t be the money, Schwarzenegger Press Secretary Aaron McLear told The Vote . The governor is fine with a robust debate — with two caveats:

“Shouldn’t debate it solely on fiscal terms,” McLear said. “[And] we should talk to European countries that have legalized and see what they have learned—how’s it working out for them.”

Roll back

Schwarzenegger brought up his native Austria and perhaps some recent dissatisfaction with more open drug laws.

“For instance in Austria, I’ve heard that they are unhappy with that and they want to roll back some of the decisions that were made in European countries. I’ve had dialogue with experts over there where I was born.

“It could very well be that everyone is happy with that decision and then we can look at that. And if not, we shouldn’t do it,” he added. “But just because of raising revenues, we have to be very careful not to make mistakes at the same time.”

snip
http://features.csmonitor.com/polit...arzenegger-says-its-time-to-debate-marijuana/

More info and video on this thread:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=120838

B

Blue Dot

At least Congress had the fore-thought to not allow any immigrants to be President and this is a perfect example.

Arnold seems to have more loyalty to the way Austria thinks as opposed to the state he currently resides in.

Have you ever met an Austrian? Not exactly the most liberal country on the planet.

Go Home Arnold. Hasta La Vista Baby!

J

JackTheGrower

Just watched that video; WOW...

Another pinch me I must be dreaming moment..

Honest, human and open....

Fire season , lack of revenue and potential revenue from California's largest agriculture crop all rolled into an easy to understand presentation.

Remember to Vote in California on May 19th

Jack

J

JackTheGrower

It was a moment to remember for me... Open honest and human.

Jack

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Arnold, is using austria as a comparson because of their laws. he should look at portugal instead.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Arnold might only be saying this to gain votes. be careful he might be the ab390 terminator.

Euphrates

"we should talk to European countries that have legalized and see what they have learned—how’s it working out for them.”

Which European countries are even technically legal ? While Amsterdam is decriminalized, Cannabis isn't technically exactly legal is it ? I've been to Amsterdam-Holland, It has been my understanding that Cannabis is 'tolerated' under given conditions.

Anyway, this is long over due to have a real debate over cannabis. Its awesome non the less. Cannabis use among teens and youth is low in Holland, as oppose to America or pretty much anywhere else that it is not tolerated, hopefully they will see that.

B

Blue Dot

We already HAD this debate. It was called the compassionate use act of 1996.

That's how people debate in this country, they vote.

Yet Ahnold is still beholden to the CA prison unions.

Just because I like the guys physique and his movies doesn't mean I have to agree with his political opinions.

It's called mutually exclusive, something CA voters obviously didn't know anything about when they voted him gov.

Euphrates

The compassionate use act of 1996 was for mmj, Proposition 215, not legalization.
He's asking for a debate of legalization of cannabis
Proposition 215 added Section 11362.5 to the California Health and Safety Code, which:

1.Exempts patients and defined caregivers who possess or cultivate marijuana for medical treatment recommended by a physician from criminal laws which otherwise prohibit possession or cultivation of marijuana.

2.Provides physicians who recommend use of marijuana for medical treatment shall not be punished or denied any right or privilege.

3.Declares that the measure is not be construed to supersede prohibitions of conduct endangering others or to condone diversion of marijuana for non-medical purposes.

B

Blue Dot

To save you some time in this debate between me and you Euphrates, I ALREADY know that.

The point is prop 215 has been in effect for 13 years and Ahnold has never done anything to implement it, actually he opposes most prop 215 related that crosses his desk because the prison unions OWN Ahnold.

There is no reason to believe that his opposition to MMJ (prop 215) will be any different then his forthcoming (count on it) opposition to straight legalization.

He's a politician. If his lips are moving he's lying!

AP KUSH

arnold is the man, and no matter what anyone says, he used to enjoy getting stoned as much as anyone in this forum. I have no problem letting him open up the US on a realistic economic debate about marijuana and the effect the drug war is having on our world.

YYAAAAA FANTASTIC MARIJUANA JOINT!!!!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Maybe if we can convince the Prison Industry that all those cells and day rooms...would make much more $$ if filled with plants...instead of people...:chin::jerkit::crazy:

H

h^2 O

i thought Austria hates Arnold now? Didn't they tear down a soccer stadium because it had his name on it? I'm NOT exaggerating :p

H

h^2 O

Maybe if we can convince the Prison Industry that all those cells and day rooms...would make much more $$ if filled with plants...instead of people...:chin::jerkit::crazy:
i think if i was doing time a plant or two would really give me a reason to wake up. It would be like the shawshank redemption...Red could get me a 150hps and I could dig a little grow box out of the decaying walls and cover it with a poster. Little personal fan in there, good to go.

Euphrates

Yeh. Apparently, Austria did not appreciate the death of Tookie Williams and Arnold's hand in it, so they want to take his Austrian citizenship away, I don't know if they have actually done it as of yet. As for the stadium, I don't think they tore it down, instead they want to rename the stadium from honoring swarzenegger to the Tookie Williams Stadium instead.

Bluedot: I wasn't really trying to debate or argue, I agree that allot of politicians’ including shwarzie lie, an deceive. I just don't think we've had a serious debate about legalizing cannabis, I could be wrong. . .

Personally I'd rather not so much flat out legalize it, but rather start out with mmj nationwide, and decriminalize it. Then go to have it publicly tolerated like in Holland, with cafe's and such. Basically have possession and sales of small amounts, and of course being able to cultivate your own tolerated and not be fined.

H

h^2 O

want to rename the stadium from honoring swarzenegger to the Tookie Williams Stadium instead.
that would kick ass. every time he drives past it he'd be reminded the guy is dead because he was trying to look good for the sicko republican base.

J

JackTheGrower

Arnold might only be saying this to gain votes. be careful he might be the ab390 terminator.

I think not Hash,

The numbers are in and I doubt any California politician can ignore the numbers.

Arnold has learned to respect the California polls, after his bid to push his agenda, when a so called "mandate from the people" failed some time ago. He then realized the will of California is independent of any one party or position IMO of course.

So the real question is can they change 56% pro to less than 56% pro? Can they raise the "monster marijuana" higher in the minds of Californians or have they worn out that card?

Can the polls some how be reversed?

Or can we spread the word of legalization using the "tax the weed" issue as the conduit and make that Pro percentage 60% or more... Wouldn't 80% be nice.....

Jack

Last edited: