What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

"Say Cheese Girls"

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got these Co2 tablets I want to use to make carbonic acid available for root uptake, they theoretically should drop the pH of the irrigation water. I want to use them to lower my water pH to 6.5. With my tap this isn't possible it's got too much crap in it. I will obtain some R.O water tomorrow and see if they will drop that from 7pH.

The 10 litre bucket I did an experiment with yesterday with my tap water was a learning experience.

I haven't fed it to my plants.

Basically I dissolved a few tablets in the 10 litres and found that the tablets do indeed give of conductivity raising the E.C of the bucket from 0.6 up to 1.0 clearly these pills will offer some form of nutrient availability.

I took the bendy tape over the plants earlier. Didn't bother with any leaf measurements but my stems are 3" at the root collar and I have 1.5" internodes on most of the top leads.

I moved the lamp up slightly and I prepared some Humic and Fulvic for the plants dose tonight. I will give them 4 hours without any feed. I gave them a full 10 litres between them and not the can's 8 last night and they were overly moist at light on.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I fed the plants some R.O water with the Co2, I added the Maxicrop and fed the girls. I shall have to experiment with this new toy over many more grows but at this time I am certain that it bulked up growth overnight. Things just seem plumper.

I would very much be interested in using these co2 tabs throughout the veg into flower and see what comes from it.

These cheese plants are 3 weeks into flower today and everything is going A ok so far.

I better not mess things up now it would be foolish to feed too much too quick.

In 3 more weeks the lamps will be placed far from the crop and the lighting will be changed.

"HEMPEROR"

I fed the plants some R.O water with the Co2, I added the Maxicrop and fed the girls. I shall have to experiment with this new toy over many more grows but at this time I am certain that it bulked up growth overnight. Things just seem plumper.

I would very much be interested in using these co2 tabs throughout the veg into flower and see what comes from it.

These cheese plants are 3 weeks into flower today and everything is going A ok so far.

I better not mess things up now it would be foolish to feed too mush too quick.

In 3 more weeks the lamps will be places far from the crop and the lighting will be changed.

where you get the RO water from dave?:)

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have a mate down the road, he's got 6 GT 424 hydro tanks on the rip currently, I had to see what they're saying :biggrin:

I filled up a water container I use for fishing.. :woohoo:

I'm not gonna feed them R.O every feed. I am gonna hit the plants with Some Carbonic acid regular tho. I still had to pH the water slightly, I will report back it there are any Cal/Mg issues from the extra nutrient uptake.

I'm going to put another litre through the pots in a hour so I'll grab some pic's when I do, the plant tips are growing this bright green colour what I like the look of, you'll all have to see what you think..

I don't wann mess these up now.

Incase your wondering why I am pH ing the water it's because if I amend these pots and refresh the mix, Usually if the media has been watered with tap @ 8pH odd it makes the next starts impossible at first, pH the water throughout the grow and it works fine almost like new soil on the refresh!

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran

This is what the tent looks like today.

I have noticed some older growth has some of this shit going on..

I'm gonna hold back on feeding anymore Co2 until I see how the new growth responds to the shock..

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Seems that I have done something to upset the plants. All but one has a what I assume is a Phosphorous issue, or perhaps a calcium one, I'm not certain but seems to me that the plants have translocated what nutriments were in some of the older fan leaves elsewhere for nourishment. It's not too bad and the things will survive I hope.

I believe that the dose of carbonic acid has dropped the media pH or it has somehow made the plants put all the energy where it needs to be.

Whatever it is it has caused a quick decline in a % of the plant health. I have to do a soil pH test and report back.

The plants seem to have regulated themselves and are still growing. One of them has not been effected like the rest. Strange!!!

Andyo

Veteran
odd one ph

odd one ph

Possibly the odd one had a higher ph before ive noticed those with more root have higher in pot ph , soil test will tell.A
wetness and drying are factors too i noticed the pale lower leaf thing stopped when i dried out pots more .A

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I agree Mack. Andy I will do a test tomorrow. All I can say is they are not happy ATM.. These plants hated the C2 pills. They want to crawl away and die it seems..

The pot media is terribly Alkaline in the 9's and has caused this nonsense...

Andyo

Veteran
hard water bicarbonates

hard water bicarbonates

need rain water or RO water ,from the begining
Even my hydroton does this in hard water ,have to run tanks at 4.5 for 5.8 to 6.2 in pot .A

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Things are ok now I have given the pots a feed of some 5-5-5. The crops not got much going for it now.. Although when I went in there it smells ok. Mainly just fan leaf damage as a result of high pH.

Thing is Andy I fed it to numerous tents.. This is the only grow effected.. And 1 plant isn't..

I know pH was high.. It's not now.. Usually the pots get water out the tap and that's as high as the pot pH and I've never had issues.. It's the added mg in the Co2 pills that puts everything out of sync.

oldbean

High Dave

Sorry to read of these problems but it should be OK in the long run? Why did you say the crop hasn't got much going for it now? Looked ok in the last pic?

Peace

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Old Bean, The plants shut down and locked out in a few hours. They suffered badly, They are still growing and won't be cut out the garden and replanted..

Needless to say that you can supply Co2 to the plants with adequate air circulation.. No need to feed it to the roots..

I'll post some pics up this week..

Top.Shelf

Now I'm no expert, I've had to google more words than I care to admit to reading your thread. :D Plus I have had my fair share of problems myself this run, but when you pointed out the leaf stem colour earlier in the thread I thought minor P def. Now I see your leaves I'm think that's a P def for sure. From what I remember calcium def looks more like rust spots on the leaves with minor pitting to the surface at early stages. You leaves have that stained look, like if you were to spray them down with maxicrop and a few leaves get a build up of liquid which then leaves a staining which is easily wiped off.

Anyway, that's my uneducated guess. As your in soil I can't expand much upon that. Although I suspect that your are correct in your deduction of the root cause - Co2 tabs.

Minor issues aside I have really enjoyed reading through your thread, cheese seems to have somewhat neglected with all the ogs, gorilla glues, tangies and the rest of it. I was surprised at how much I missed the stinky lass until I got some freebies of exo x haze seeds. I haven't grown it in a while so was nice to smell her stench in early veg when stems were rubbed.

Hope the Co2 tab incident doesn't slow them down much, looing forward to the next update mate! :tiphat:

Edit> forgot to add, I use Maxicrop in coco, it's good stuff. Auxins, Cytokins, Gibberellins and micros.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had the leaf staining thing happen before.. It's not something that happened here. The P def was in the lower growth the leaf picture, perhaps the red petioles were from before when I potted them on and perhaps it was already happening. Although the top leafs that have it never do this cal thing and they weren't there when the plant's were smaller I don't think... It's what cheese does the leaf pic thing. The cal was something I am certain was from mixing the Co2 and R.O, I added some Acid also.. I'm not a chemist but that's what had them over and the first night of snow. Room temp's didn't change and I've donee this this way for ages.. It works well without R.O and Co2 pills.

I did try to see if the wipe test did the trick but it wasn't that. They don't get much spray 500ml dilute total what I do as normal without effect...

Most of the leaf is terrible, the buds are even pulling through looking nice enough no ill effect. I suspect yield will be dramatically reduced due to 50% ATP power being lost through photosynthesis.

I toyed with a few ideas of how to bring the pH back. mulching with Peat or flushing the media,, That would have been hard.. I fed the plants some Maxicrop 5-5-5 what seems to elevate all minor nutrient problems I have come across. This was a bit dramatic this disaster... The only think that would have prevented this is hindsight...

My mini-break has made me lose my mo-jo..

Blazeee

Veteran
Hey there Dave, how are the girls doing? I hope there bouncing back okay.
Just wondering if youve got any updates for us, i was realy enjoying the attention to detail throughout all of your posts, theres alot of good information in this thread.
Take care mate :tiphat:

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Latest update is. I went by the grow and had to pluck off some leaves that had died from the calcium issue. The plants didn't suffer too much looking now but compared to what they would have been like it's remarkable what's happened.. I can't get to the back of the tent without getting all smelly so some of the leaf is still in the rear plants..

All in all there is not long to go with this crop now. I've taken some cuttings to replant this tent. This media is getting fucked off and I'm buying in more :biggrin:

I have moved the light further from the plants and I have just fed tap water since the 5-5-5 feed. The plants are thriving in their new reduced condition and swelling remarkably even with the stress they have endured. The 5-5-5 might not have been necessary in hindsight as the issue was purely a carbon related issue and once that was absorbed no more worries..

The scent is remarkable..

Usually I would be still moving the lamp but that ceased when the problems started and I moved it up I'm not going to give the plants nothing now. I'm pH ing the water to 6.5 and that's it. The tent and branches will begin to get heavy and fall out of place over the next 10 days and I will keep it zipped up for safety and structure.

To sum things up. The plants were @ optimum... I fed the Co2 like stated to healthy plants and the excess mg caused an uptake of P what I noticed instantly with fatter heads but hours later in the leafs. That's how 'on it' I was. This P uptake caused excessive uptakes of calcium to metabolise the P but it was not available in the rhizosphere so the plants used a safety net and translocated the necessary nutriment to the necessary area and kept on storming through as nature intended. Despite all the chlorosis/necrosis I have no tip or nute burn just a shortage from the demand of singular macro and micro nutriments incurred from using Co2. It clearly works. If these plants were in coco coir they wouldn't be effected and I could have fed fed and fed them to give what they require..

Use it in soil @ your peril...

Andyo

Veteran
Thats a fair conclusion

Thats a fair conclusion

Happy to know they back on ,must add i only put about 5 no mercy tablets in 500 ltr rez .
Ill stick with bottled gas.
been watching readings in my bedroom with C02 monitor on
doors window closed goes up to 900 ppm in no time atall.

Its got me thinking alternative C02 not sheep they need feeding. and theyd eat the plants.A

Latest posts

Latest posts