What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

saving your eyes

A

ak-51

I have some fitover knockoffs, the real huge ones. I also have a cap that I wear as well. I usually don't wear both when working under the HPS, but both provide pretty good protection. If I'm wearing the cap I make sure not to tilt my head up enough to where I can see the bulb.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I bought some shade 5 welding glasses when I was doing VERT cuz it hurt my eyes. Currently doing outdoor so dont use them now but they work great and only like $13-15 shipped off amazon I think.

S

Scrappy-doo

dgr, was that in the 'A plea for your health' thread? I scanned it over very quickly assuming that's where it was, but I didn't see the pic that I remembered, so maybe it's another one.

G

guest121295

After reading through this thread I bought these Uvex welding goggles, like the ski goggles I was using but much better. I can work in my vert room no problem, as long as I don't back my neck into the bulbs...I was very impressed at how well I could see the plants with these on.
picture.php

Bush Dr

Painting the picture of Dorian Gray
Veteran
Class 3 welding glasses are what you need ......wrap around type and baseball cap

G

guest121295

Indeed, definately don't forget the cap.I even scorched my ear on a bulb that was off for 5 min maybe a bit less but regardless one thoughtless/stoned moment in the vert room....

C

chefro420

Indeed, definately don't forget the cap.I even scorched my ear on a bulb that was off for 5 min maybe a bit less but regardless one thoughtless/stoned moment in the vert room....

heheheh , bet that wakes your ass up quick!

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Yeah the eyes one of the first things to go LOL very fucked up when they do too lol..
To be on the safe side get your eyes checked you can get it done with one of those free eye checks that come to town if you get a chance.. If not go all out and pay the $100.00 and get them looked at. Your eyes have the smallest viens in your body and these are the first to go ..Medication/Sun can also screw with the eyes. Also look into the more expensive sun glasses when you go into the shop they will show you peace out Headband707

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I'm doing a UV grow test. The UVB levels are up to 14 times equatorial levels at 12". I forgot my goggles last week and watered the plant anyway.
The burning pain went away in three days. I consider myself lucky. Now when I forget I turn around, go back down the stairs and find the goggles, period, no exceptions. The eyes still itch and it has been six days since. Damn.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Coincidence? It has been a couple of weeks now since I stuck my head into the grow area without my goggles, causing annoying UV irritation around sensitive skin.
A floater just went past my eyeball, big enough I could not read text on the screen. Took more than 5 minutes to go away.
I am getting older, but this has never happened before, scary.

Hate to spend money on the eye doctor, but would probably hate being blind ever so much more.

I just went to the opthamologist last week because everything went blurry in my right eye over the summer. At first I thought my right prescription eyeglass lens was really scratched up and and foggy. Then I noticed how my right eye was getting blurry without my glasses on. I freaked and made a doctor's appointment.....bad news......I have a cataract in my right eye and my left eye is starting to go also. The doc asked me point blank if I was regularly exposed to intense light sources. Uh, yeah doc, I like to lay on my back all day staring up at the sun.............

Anyway, now I need a cataract operation, so don't ever expose your eyeballs to HID light. I've been growing for 12 years and always wore a ballcap and tried to avoid looking into the light but you know how that goes......ZAP!
I have welder's goggles on the way. But that horse has already left the barn..................

hashcat88

damn, scary stuff. my eyes are already shit as it is. my optometrist says im probably already fucked because i have pale blue eyes and spent nearly every day as a kid outside in the bright sun (without sunglasses of course...cmon i was a kid)

now i only work with cfl's on in the room. i dont think my plants will miss those 20minutes of bright light.

-~Wind Walker~-

After reading through this thread I bought these Uvex welding goggles, like the ski goggles I was using but much better. I can work in my vert room no problem, as long as I don't back my neck into the bulbs...I was very impressed at how well I could see the plants with these on.
picture.php

Chaco,

What lens shade or lens class did you get and how much were they?

EDIT: I went and bought these style goggles today for only $8.

It was rated at a lens shade of 5 and when I put them on I could see just fine.

I wear hobart welding goggles. lots of vert growers around here use em.
these here:

-~WW~-

Latest posts

Latest posts