What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

saving your eyes

hand_rolled

got a pair of sunglasses recently after noticing my eyes feeling strained/blurry/ hot spots and getting headaches, all from the indirect exposure to HID lighting. although they felt effective to start with, after a few months they dont seem to be doing much.

so my question is what eye protection are you wearing in your grow room? :smoker:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Make sure they are wrap around and fit tight to your face and eyes. I cannot fit a finger between my glasses and face.

Quality Rayban uva and uvb shielded glasses, polarized too. They have welding goggles for around 15 bucks shipped, that fit tight and have uv blocking. ebay

eye protection? why dont u just turn of your lights when your working? not expecting a answer really as a new thread was just started from a grower who works in his room dam near naked n trims without gloves but wants to ask how to get clean, u mix weed with the average persons western diet and you have a recipe for braindeadness.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Blueblockers, it is a brand of sunglasses. Yellow or amber lens, the yellow lenses just block UV and blue, I can see in the dark with them. The amber lenses are regular sunglasses with blue block added. With other brands the label will say if they block blue.

I will repeat this part just for joke, nobody believes it, HID's do not output UV. But blue blockers do not allow any UV at all through either.

However, that 15 minute recovery time after branding the eyball with HID is your body rebuilding the receptor molecule the high energy blue pounded crooked. Go into a dim room after HID light, the night vision is almost completely gone until that molecule gets fixed. It is the green receptor the blue breaks, green is the night vision frequency. Permanent damage is documented from long term exposure to high energy blue. UV does immediate damage, blue takes longer.

Welders lens are really dark as they also block red and infra-red, effectively blinding the user, not necessary in a grow room, enough infra-red to damage eyes would have already baked the plants black. Taking the blue out also makes the plants appear much greener, good for my attitude. :kitty:

señorsloth

Veteran
i have been thinking about getting a pair of the kind they use for tanning, those lights can be so bad on your eyes, honestly, i feel like i'm getting a tan just being under my light...think it's possible? lol

and yeah toke and bone, i don't turn off my light cause i have all my plugs and timers stashed away in case the landlord should ever stop by, it would just be a huge hassle to deal with every day and i don't like to break into their night time, even just a little. also even if i could it would involve plugging and unplugging the bulb 2 more times a day, i figure that can't be good for the bulb, even with a soft start.

Rednick

One day you will have to answer to the children of
Veteran
I wear a baseball cap, and don't stare at the lights.
But I run Horiz, not vert.

bigbuds420

When i used to blow glass in college, i had a pair of glass's that would remove the glare of flame and protect my eyeballs. I one day decided to try them out under my light, and wow, what a difference. Not only is it better on your eye's, but you can see the the color of the leaves so much better.

A company started selling something similar to my old glass blowing pair. They call them Growgles. Here is a link.

http://www.thehydroshops.com/lighting-controls-accessories/anti-glare-grow-goggles/

GanjaPharma

I wear hobart welding goggles. lots of vert growers around here use em.
these here:

my dad likes a face shield like this one :

because he likes to tilt it up a bit to look at the plants unshaded.

to the person who asks why i would not just turn off the lights?
well because sometimes it takes me 3 or four hours to get all the work done in my room. i cant even water in less than an hour.

I wear long sleeves and goggles in my rooms, I don want skin cancer, or gnarly burns either.

G

guest121295

Nice goggles dude, I'm on that.I've been wearing sunglasses inside ski goggles but the vert still hurts, it's the room to room thing, in the lights, out of the lights, makes my eyes whirl.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
IwannatokeNbone has it right, even though it was presented wrong. Why not just turn your lights off while you're working? If I ever need to do anything other than check the water chemistry I'll just turn the HIDs off.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah been using sunglasses or turning lamps off, but i think i need some thing better. i like those goggles they look like they will not let any light in, but can you still see anything with welder goggles?

S

Scrappy-doo

There was a thread where a guy rigged up a 5 gal bucket with the bottom cut out that hung on the wire over his light, and whenever he wanted to do work in the room he would pull it down over the light. It dimmed it a whole lot but still plenty of light to see what you're doing. It seemed to work really well there was a picture of the setup. I don't remember the thread though. A search should pull it up.

sso

Veteran
mjeh, its funny, first after i got hd lights, my nightsight got worse.

then as time when on, my eyes actually became stronger, i can look into bright light more easily.

for awhile that meant its opposite, nightsight was worse, but now about 4 years later its back again. (got a pretty good nightsight, bit catty)

course i gradually always used stronger and stronger light, from cfls to finally a 600w hps.

which i can look into directly rather easily.

though in general, i dont look directly in to the lights.

and in my latest cab build i just put some flaps in front of the light, so that the plants are visible and the light on them, but not the lamp light itself.(was lighting up quite alot of the apartment, heavily each time i opened the cab :D ;) )

you could do that if you didnt want to take the chance on adjusting and got a cab. (tall)

Grønn

Blueblockers, it is a brand of sunglasses. Yellow or amber lens, the yellow lenses just block UV and blue, I can see in the dark with them. The amber lenses are regular sunglasses with blue block added. With other brands the label will say if they block blue.

I will repeat this part just for joke, nobody believes it, HID's do not output UV. But blue blockers do not allow any UV at all through either.

However, that 15 minute recovery time after branding the eyball with HID is your body rebuilding the receptor molecule the high energy blue pounded crooked. Go into a dim room after HID light, the night vision is almost completely gone until that molecule gets fixed. It is the green receptor the blue breaks, green is the night vision frequency. Permanent damage is documented from long term exposure to high energy blue. UV does immediate damage, blue takes longer.

Welders lens are really dark as they also block red and infra-red, effectively blinding the user, not necessary in a grow room, enough infra-red to damage eyes would have already baked the plants black. Taking the blue out also makes the plants appear much greener, good for my attitude. :kitty:

Bought a pair of Blueblockers as per recommendation - gotta say i'm impressed. They actually make my eyesight sharper - I'm constantly tripping out on how much more detail I'm seeing.

And they work great in the flower room as well.

Thanks for the top tip

MPL

Your eyes didn't get stronger. They became desensitized to the light. How? Because by looking directly at the lights, and working around them a lot without protection, you burned up a ton of receptors. The fewer receptors, the less bright to your eyes the light you are looking at, and thus the easier it is to look at. Oh, and guess what, when it becomes easy to look at the light, and you do, you burn more receptors, so it becomes yet easier to do, so on and so forth.

mjeh, its funny, first after i got hd lights, my nightsight got worse.

then as time when on, my eyes actually became stronger, i can look into bright light more easily.

for awhile that meant its opposite, nightsight was worse, but now about 4 years later its back again. (got a pretty good nightsight, bit catty)

course i gradually always used stronger and stronger light, from cfls to finally a 600w hps.

which i can look into directly rather easily.

though in general, i dont look directly in to the lights.

and in my latest cab build i just put some flaps in front of the light, so that the plants are visible and the light on them, but not the lamp light itself.(was lighting up quite alot of the apartment, heavily each time i opened the cab :D ;) )

you could do that if you didnt want to take the chance on adjusting and got a cab. (tall)