What's new

Sativa Scrog

touchofgrey

I usually grow a compact strain but I wanted to try a sativa this time. My cabinet has only 10" from the screen to the glass at the light so I've had to do some serious height control and thought I'd share my experience.

I'm growing from seed and had to grow into 12/12 and sex them before I could set the screen so the first step was to pinch the top then LST the shoots.

I used a 1/4" irrigation tube stake to hold them down. push the stem into the notch and hold down with a soft string.

I trained them into a figure 8 and tucked side branches under the main stem. After they showed sex I was down to 2 girls so I up-potted to 2.5 gal growsacks and set the screen

At this point I pulled the stakes since they were trained and didn't need a hold down. Lots of space to fill but this is a really stretchy strain.

This shot is 2 weeks later and the screen is filling out nicely.

This strain has been kinda fun to scrog since there is actually enough stem to weave over and under the screen like a scrog is supposed to do.

These girls are 80-90 day strain and I'm at 32 days now so there's still a long way to go but hopefully the stretch will slow down and fill out the buds.

oldone

Very cool touchofgrey,

I'm having much the same experience with my 1 Arjan's Haze #3. Its supposed to be a short sativa but she stretched like crazy for the first 4 weeks and I'm hoping is over. I have 13" vertical and have needed every bit of it so far.

Nice plants man, good luck,
OO

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
wow looking great. Super nice job keeping her under control, growing a sativa in 10" is quite a task.

touchofgrey

46 days 12/12

46 days 12/12

In the last 2 weeks the stretch has slowed and the internode spaces are starting to fill out. If they go 80 to 90 days that would put me at about the halfway point now.

The weaving has given me bud sites down to and into the screen. Some of the little ones on the screen might not develop much beyond popcorn but that's OK. Should have 10 to 12 nice tops if they continue to fill out as well as they have the last 2 weeks.
group shot.

Hoping for some thick buds down the road

D

DiiZZii3

damn man thats sweet. ur really gettin everything out of the space you got... im gunna be followin this for sure.

GoozMan

I'm very curious how this goes. I'm in danger of overgrowing my space and I'm only in day 14 of flower. At what point did your plants slow their upward growth? Thanks.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wsup tuch... ur ladies r looking great. don't no if uv grown sativas befor but they look like thry r gunna be electrifying flowers in the end.

well at least all the sativas Iv grown were electrifying.

happy growen.

touchofgrey

Thanks all for the kind words. It has been a challenge indeed to keep these ladies under control.

GoozMan - I vegged these for 22 days from seed. The stretch continued pretty strong for the next 3 weeks. All strains are different but you should be slowing down soon. Just get some string and pull the tall branches down a bit to horizontal to keep them out of the light. It will also increase bud size on the lower nodes of the branch.

#1 Cheesebuds - I really haven't grown a sativa in a long time so I'm hoping for electrifiying

touchofgrey

Hey StealthDragon, thanks for stopping by. Sorry if I haven't been posting much but it seems like this is going so s-l-o-w. I'm now at 58 days and they're starting to fill out. Been feeding heavy and adding molassess trying to fatten up these ladies.

canopy at 58 days

one of the buds. This pheno shows a bit of indica and is a bit fatter than the other.

I've had to tie down a couple of the buds that were getting too tall. Of the 2, one pheno has a bit of the indica and is looking better, the other may be developing foxtail buds.

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
wow lookin noice! I tried scrogging some ssh and she didn't like it too much.

did you time the stretch to try to guess when they'll be done?

touchofgrey

66 days

66 days

Yes, it is time for an update. Here's the canopy at 66 days

As I mentioned, this strain has 2 phenos and the more indica ominant is starting to look close to done. The hairs are drying and the trichs are all cloudy with some amber starting to show. I cut off a little bud to dry and test.

the indica side a close up look

The sativa dominant lady continued the stretch through flower and a couple tops were getting close to the glass so I added some more LST tie-downs this morning. She is filling out nicely and looks like she will have some fat buds but will definitely need at least a couple more weeks to finish though.

the sativa side getting fatter and stretching some LST tie downs

I'm pretty happy with this run so far. The yield looks like it should be at least in the .5 g/w range and trich production on the early finisher looks promising. We'll see how she tastes.

oldone

Lovely plants, man. What light are you running?

You have done a much better job of keeping them short enough. Mine stretched like crazy. Here she is at 62 days;

How long will you let them go?
OO

touchofgrey

Lovely plants, man. What light are you running?

How long will you let them go?
OO

Thanks Oldone. I've got a 250 W EYE Hortilux in this cabinet. It's supposed to be a bit wider spectrum than a regular HPS. It has been a real challenge to keep the ladies under control. After my earlier post I double checked and found I actually only have 8-1/2" between the screen and the light but it's working out fine.

I haven't grown a sativa in a long while so I really have to go by the trichs to determine the finish. The one plant is definitely getting close and may be ready to chop in a week or so. The other I think is going to go for maybe another month.

touchofgrey

73 days

73 days

outdoor group shot at 73 days. You can see the difference between the phenos pretty clear in this shot. The indica pheno on the left is starting to look pretty worn out while the sativa pheno on the right looks like she's still vegging.

Indica pheno bud at 73 days. The trichs are ambering up so I flushed 5 gallons through her today. I'll let her go one more week on just water then chop.

Sativa pheno bud at 73 days. This one is fattening up but still stretching and now getting some foxtailing. That's ok as long as the foxtails fatten up too. The colas I bent over last week turned to the light and so did all the little foxtails.

Not much trich action happening on the sativa pheno yet. I can see a bit of sugar deep down in the bud so I pulled out a tiny leaf and looked in the microscope. Just see little tiny trichs and shiny spots. I'm guessing she has at least another 20 days so hopefully the trichs will get a lot bigger and the buds will keep getting fatter.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
wsup there. they r looking great. and the sativa might have more than 20 days but I bet itll fatten up by then. :D