What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sam skunkmans sk#1

zenoonez

Veteran
That's not what I hear....
Of course there's a green crack that's from Cali that goes 70 days or more, this isn't it, the Green Crack some in BC have is fast, 8 weeks....

I don't know what you heard it was but the one I have heard of was bred by Cecil and was sk#1 x unknown indica.

Quick

What I have learned about people's preferences is that everyone has their own idea about what is best, I knew people that would smoke the very very best Haze and say they did not like it because they did not get loaded, they loved strong knock you down Indicas, hated stronger in my mind Haze.
I don't try and say what is best anymore, either it turns your crank or it does not. simple enough. I do believe in different varieties for different people, and whatever they think is best just may be, for them.
And as you may know I don't really like smoking herbal Cannabis any way, I am a resin kind of guy.
But I do believe in helping people find what they are looking for, and what else can I say?
-SamS

Well put, and I agree, I am one of those die-hard Indica guys.
I have smoked some sativas that sent me off, but Sk#1 wasn't one of them.
No disrespect intended, the phenos I tried might have been lesser ones or not even real Sk#1.... I should have worded my statement better, I was not trying to disparage your work, I know how much you've done for our treasure, both up front and behind the scenes DW.... mucho respect....

Z

Zeinth

What I have learned about people's preferences is that everyone has their own idea about what is best, I knew people that would smoke the very very best Haze and say they did not like it because they did not get loaded, they loved strong knock you down Indicas, hated stronger in my mind Haze.
I don't try and say what is best anymore, either it turns your crank or it does not. simple enough. I do believe in different varieties for different people, and whatever they think is best just may be, for them.
And as you may know I don't really like smoking herbal Cannabis any way, I am a resin kind of guy.
But I do believe in helping people find what they are looking for, and what else can I say?
-SamS

So true...like all the names..haze this..kush that..fire this..hash that..

I like a 80/20 sativa in the wake..and a 100 percent smells like a skunk sprayed your dog indica at night...time for another 4 hour sleeper....

P

pangolin

1st by Abby Normal
2-3 by Buddox
4th by Hipnotic925

:xmastree:

Attachments

• 2590skunk_day52_1-med.jpg
    2590skunk_day52_1-med.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20464DSC000031.JPG
    20464DSC000031.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20464DSC00007.JPG
    20464DSC00007.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 3592sk1_mh_12-17-04_all3-1.JPG
    3592sk1_mh_12-17-04_all3-1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

joaquin386

You can still get the Skunk#1 from seedsman. They say they come from SamS stock, if you dont like the one from TFP or Sensi.

E

elmanito

It seems that a lot of people are looking for the most pungent smelling Skunk#1 pheno nowadays.The reason you cant find it anymore in the Dutch Skunk#1 is that in populated areas like The Netherlands the chance to get caught by police through a pungent smell from your plants was many times bigger than from sweet smelling Skunk#1 pheno's.Skunk#1 is hard to find nowadays in the coffeeshops.

Namaste :smoweed: :canabis:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
elmanito,
"Pot has been smoked for over 4700 years"
Do you have any proof of this? I am interested.
I thought smoking (tobacco) was introduced from the new world after 1492?
There was no Cannabis in the new world prior to 1492, or smoking in the old world prior to 1492.
-SamS

amoril

just my .02

but would it not depend upon how one interpreted "smoking?"

for example, SamS seems to be referring to direct inhalation from burning cannabis (or tobacco, whatever you wish I suppose lmao)

I was under the impression that cannabis was "smoked" for much longer than this, but in a more indirect way, so the effects would be more closely related to what we deem the "contact high" I suppose

the burning of various incenses was prevalent in the old world, was it not? some even therapeutically I think?

E

elmanito

elmanito,
"Pot has been smoked for over 4700 years"
Do you have any proof of this? I am interested.
I thought smoking (tobacco) was introduced from the new world after 1492?
There was no Cannabis in the new world prior to 1492, or smoking in the old world prior to 1492.
-SamS

Perhaps you know they digged up an old grave in North West China which was dated 2700 BC with nearly 2 lbs of marijuana in that grave.
Before 1492 there was already contact between the old and new world.Thor Heyerdahl did for a long time research about this.
Dont forget the Viking settlements in North America before the arrival of Columbus in America and they found traces of cocaine & nicotine in Egyptian mummies.

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/59/15/4171?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=russo&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&volume=59&issue=15&resourcetype=HWCIT
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor_Heyerdahl
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Misc/mummies.htm

jim dankness

Perhaps you know they digged up an old grave in North West China which was dated 2700 BC with nearly 2 lbs of marijuana in that grave.

i'm certain sam knows plenty about this discovery already. perhaps what he's getting at is: where's the evidence that the ancient chinese smoked that cannabis?

Last edited:

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
Before 1492 there was already contact between the old and new world.Thor Heyerdahl did for a long time research about this.
Dont forget the Viking settlements in North America before the arrival of Columbus in America and they found traces of cocaine & nicotine in Egyptian mummies.
url]

finding some herb in a 1000 year old grave ..no big thing

coke in mummies... so what...

now if they found some quaaludes in a grave or with a mummy...

E

elmanito

i'm certain sam knows plenty about this discovery already. perhaps what he's getting at is: where's the evidence that the ancient chinese smoked that cannabis?

I do think he knows of the document of course, but if you think humans start smoking after 1492 you're wrong.The Cannabis which was found in the grave was cultivated according to the researchers.In that time you had in China shamanism which had the knowledge of certain hallucinogenic herbs for their rituals and i dont think the cannabis is used for a nice cup of tea.

While an earlier publication (Jiang et al., 2006) emphasized
morphological features in identifying the cannabis, the
current study used additional botanical, phytochemical, and
genetic investigations to demonstrate that this cannabis was
psychoactive and probably cultivated for medicinal or
divinatory purposes.

coke in mummies... so what...
Well for the common anthropologist it is quite normal to find traces of a South-American plant in Egyptian mummies :D

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
I posted this in the chinese bud thread...

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/59/15/4171

The Yanghai Tombs near Turpan, Xinjiang-Uighur Autonomous Region, China have recently been excavated to reveal the 2700-year-old grave of a Caucasoid shaman whose accoutrements included a large cache of cannabis, superbly preserved by climatic and burial conditions. A multidisciplinary international team demonstrated through botanical examination, phytochemical investigation, and genetic deoxyribonucleic acid analysis by polymerase chain reaction that this material contained tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive component of cannabis, its oxidative degradation product, cannabinol, other metabolites, and its synthetic enzyme, tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase, as well as a novel genetic variant with two single nucleotide polymorphisms. The cannabis was presumably employed by this culture as a medicinal or psychoactive agent, or an aid to divination. To our knowledge, these investigations provide the oldest documentation of cannabis as a pharmacologically active agent, and contribute to the medical and archaeological record of this pre-Silk Road culture.

Phytochemical analysis
Phytochemical and genetic teams were initially blinded to one another's results. The extraction of 2 g of plant material produced 67.9 mg of solids after the removal of solvents. Using high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC), the largest cannabinoid peak was cannabinol (CBN) at 7.4 min, but concentration levels were very low, averaging 0.007% w/w. CBN is an oxidative breakdown product THC, generated non-enzymatically, with increasing age (Brenneisen, 2007). There were also peaks corresponding to expected retention times for cannabidiol (CBD) at 4.9 min and cannabichromene (CBC) at 12 min (Fig. 3). Both are phytocannabinoids resulting from alternative enzymatic pathways than that yielding THC (de Meijer et al., 2003). There were very few peaks in the first 20 min of the gas chromatogram where mono- and sesquiterpenes elute (Fig. 4). This lack of terpenoid volatiles supports the physical observation that the plant material lacked the herbal smell traditionally associated with cannabis (McPartland and Russo, 2001). Shown in Fig. 5A–C, (and in Supplementary Fig. S7A, B at JXB online) are breakdowns of sub-regions of the gas chromatogram. The major peaks in the 13–30.5 min region are free fatty acids (see Supplementary Fig.S7A at JXB online). The largest peak identified as palmitic acid was the most abundant in the sample. Methyl and propyl cannabinoids eluted in the 27–30 min region and the peaks marked as 286 Da and 302 Da all had MS spectra consistent with propyl cannabinoids. There were two phthalate peaks at approximately 23.5 min (believed to have originated from the polythene bags in which the samples were supplied). A number of phytocannabinoids were identified in the 30–34 min region (Fig. 5A) including cannabidiol (CBD), cannabichromene (CBC), cannabicyclol (CBL, a heat-generated artefact of CBC (Brenneisen, 2007), and cannabinavarin (CBNV, a propyl analogue of CBN). In the 34–36.3 min region (Fig. 5B), apart from cannabinol (CBN), the largest individual phytocannabinoid component, there were at least four peaks of 330 Da with cannabielsoin (CBE, an artefact derived from CBD (Brenneisen, 2007) a likely identification of the peak at 34.2 min. In the 36.3–40.5 min region (Fig. 5C), the known THC degradant cannabitriol (CBO) (Brenneisen, 2007) was seen, as well as a series of peaks with spectral similarities to CBN, three of which are tentatively identified by the NIST database as either hydroxyl- or oxo-CBN. The last region (42–50 min; see Supplementary Fig. S7B at JXB online), contained phytosterols and triterpene alcohols with beta-sitosterol the most abundant compound.

The best part IMO:

The presence of so many recognized cannabinoid degradants is consistent with very old cannabis samples. The very low concentration levels measured in the HPLC analysis may indicate that the sample provided contained significantly more leaf and twig material than flower material, rather than being evidence in itself that the sample was of low potency originally. This plant material is therefore conclusively cannabis derived from a population of plants within which THC was the dominant cannabinoid. By contrast, a sample taken from a mix of wild-type Cannabis sativa would customarily harbour a more equal mixture of THC and CBD (de Meijer et al., 2003). It would appear, therefore, that humans selected the material from plants on the basis of their higher than average THC content. To elaborate, a chemotaxonomy of cannabis previously outlined indicates three types (Small and Beckstead, 1973): chemotype I (drug) strains with high-THC:CBD ratios, chemotype II low-THC, higher-CBD (fibre) strains, and chemotype II with more equal ratios. THC and CBD production are mediated by co-dominant alleles BT and BD, respectively (de Meijer et al., 2003). By comparison, pooled samples from cannabis fields in Morocco and Afghanistan will normally produce 25% high-THC plants, 25% high-CBD plants, and 50% with lower, mixed titres, combining to yield roughly equivalent amounts of the two phytocannabinoids (Russo, 2007), a pattern not observed in our specimen.

on old weed:

Previous phytochemical analyses of antique cannabis preparations have demonstrated THC remnant fingerprints from 19th century cannabis preparations (Harvey, 1990) including a 140-year-old sample of Squire's Extract (Harvey, 1985). A study in 1992 reported the presence of {Delta}8-THC (previously termed {Delta}6-THC) from burned cannabis that was reportedly inhaled as an aide to childbirth in a Judean cave 1700 years BP (Zias et al., 1993), supported by the finding of cannabinoid residues in an adjacent glass vessel (Zias, 1995). In the Mustang region of Nepal, mummified human remains of probable Mongolian ancestry have been dated 2200–2500 years BP in association with cannabis, probably transported from elsewhere (Knörzer, 2000; Alt et al., 2003), but with insufficient detail to ascertain its use. Rudenko recovered cannabis seeds, censers, and hempen clothing in Pazyryk, Siberia from Scythian kurgans (burial mounds) from 2400–2500 years BP (Rudenko, 1970; Brooks, 1998), closely matching Herodotus’ descriptions of funeral rites for that culture (Herodotus, 1998). Sarianidi also claimed cannabis use in the Bactria–Margiana Archaeological Complex (BMAC) (present day Turkmenistan) (Sarianidi, 1994, 1998), but this interpretation has been debated (see discussion in Russo, 2007).

LAMBS-BREAD

Veteran
I do think he knows of the document of course, but if you think humans start smoking after 1492 you're wrong.The Cannabis which was found in the grave was cultivated according to the researchers.In that time you had in China shamanism which had the knowledge of certain hallucinogenic herbs for their rituals and i dont think the cannabis is used for a nice cup of tea.

indeed it was cultivated and they did't found seeds in the buds, which proove they kick the male out lol and the mo'fukah had 100 seeds in a lil bag he was a BREEDDER TOO!!! lol

Well for the common anthropologist it is quite normal to find traces of a South-American plant in Egyptian mummies :D

its not cocaine that was found but coca leaves which is a lil bit diferent lol.....but i heard coca plants do grow in africa as well.....

back to the topic...hey sam maybe for the 30'years anniversary of the skunk#1 u could realise a 1000 seeds...:xmasnut:....just a thought....

peace

OPT

I agree with Sam on whats the best.

Does "the best" mean after smoking it you'll be cemented to a couch, barley able to move?

Or does it mean after smoking it you feel like your a on a cloud, and that you feel you can walk on water?

It all depends on the individual that smokes, eats it... whatever.

A strain of pot that might give somebody a couch lock, doesn't 100 percent of the time mean it's gonna have that effect on me. I can't say this for sure, but I think a big reason for the variations of effects is from the persons metabolism, weight, ..and just a plain old different phenotype.

Just cuz your buddy tells you he has some Super Silver Haze, that doesn't mean it's gonna give you the same high as the Super Silver Haze that was at the Cannabis Cup.

As far as Sam's Skunk 1 goes, it's a pleasure. It's been a few years, so I can't explain the exact high it gave me, or even how it grew, I just remember out of the 7 or so strains I have grown in my life, Skunk 1 was in the top 2 next to Nirvanas Papaya. Now, that's just my opinion. I can't say I've tried The Cheese, C99, a pure haze...etc.

I just remember saying to myself "holy fuck, I got these as freebies?" Ever since then I have had this little place in my heart for skunk and skunk hybrids. That's why Island Sweet Skunk is on my poll for next strain I buy! Please feel free to voice your opinion in that thread as well, I love critisizm!

OPT

C

Cinderella99

OK, solid info 3d, thank you. The Oxford Journal article selections, primarily addressing the degradation of cannabinoids over time, were, shall we say, somewhat of a dense read. However, to stay on the point of Sam's question here--

Maybe I missed something (always possible with me), but

"... A study in 1992 reported the presence of {Delta}8-THC (previously termed {Delta}6-THC) from burned cannabis that was reportedly inhaled as an aide to childbirth in a Judean cave 1700 years BP (Zias et al., 1993), supported by the finding of cannabinoid residues in an adjacent glass vessel (Zias, 1995)..."

seems to be the only caption that I could pull out which speaks to the issue of early cannabis smoking.

That would be 1700 BP (before present or before 1950- take your pick)... Still about 3k years short of the 4700...

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
It's funny I remember when I first smoked green crack about a decade ago it was considered something along the lines of sweet tooth. A commercial strain. Nothing to write home about.

Now it's a big deal, and supposedly one of the most powerful on the market currently. And I suppose that is just the way she goes.

I think Sam is pretty much right though. In a scene full of so much great pot simply good pot can go unnoticed.

I remember when I first got to start seeing dank I hated skunk because it was the epitome of the boring dutch plants to me. Years went by and I smoked tens if not hundreds of the worlds finest strains. Then I got a bag of one of my old favorites "Lavender". And a bag of my old nemesis skunk.

And after all that time the thing that really surprised me was that skunk wasn't inferior. Just different. The way all pot is a little different from one another. It's not the most distinct exotic stone, and the smell isn't anything special. But skunk is a pleasing plant.

It's hard to explain but what I guess I mean is when I just want a simple buzz that isn't going to over whelm me I really like skunk. It's not something I'd ever brag on but it is a strain I consider pleasant and enjoy smoking. It's like in a world filled with Megan Fox, Penelope Cruz, and other exotic beauties you can forget about the "girl next door" that always had your back.

Skunk is like that strain I know always hits home, and never lets me down, but I'll never brag on or rave about.

Latest posts

Latest posts