What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSO / FECO / Black Oil causing upset stomach

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
curious if anyone is having any side effects from edible cannabis concentrates?

we are making oil using everclear and organic high quality trim / buds, separating plant matter then evaporating alcohol, collecting concentrate residue - then diluting that concentrate into coconut oil and filling capsules with that mix of "black oil" (green to dark green depending on soak time in everclear) and coconut oil.

side effects are stabbing cramps (kind of similar like constipation or indigestion, bud different & more intense), kind of a burning
also burping up smells/tastes of the cannabis oil in coconut oil

i'm curious of ways to mitigate these side effects, possibly by combining with other ingredients or processing separately

O

OG Tree Grower

Green oil has given me heart burn and cannibis burps, even the shits. I figured it was the chlorophyll since bho oil never gave me any of that.

In pill form it's gonna be very concentrated, so take the pill with food and water it should defiantly lessen the side effects. Or just cook it into something or make hard candies with it so you bypass the stomach . Candies are the ticket for me

even the shits.

Glad somebody else mentioned this, one reason we don't like to use oil is too much of it will give you the shits.
This oil isn't from a specific strain, but a mix from all the strains sold here.

Certain oils give you stomach cramps if you use too much.
Example clove oil, one drop dilluted in 1.3 L of water and milk is fine, but if you accidentally use 3 drops you will get the exact effects Avinash describes;
stomach cramps, kind of a burning very locally, you can put your finger on it, and a lot of burping which slowly takes away the problem.

Buttermilk helps getting rid of it faster.

Oils that won't give you cramps if you accidentally use too much are for example peppermint or orange oil and I strongly suspect these also work against cramps.

justpassnthru

Veteran
Most likely you are leaving it in the everclear too long and getting too much plant material in the oil, causing the symptoms you describe. Good luck, you're on the right track. pr

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe Greywolf covered this on Skunkpharm re: what justpassnthru said.

PDX Dopesmoker

curious if anyone is having any side effects from edible cannabis concentrates?

we are making oil using everclear and organic high quality trim / buds, separating plant matter then evaporating alcohol, collecting concentrate residue - then diluting that concentrate into coconut oil and filling capsules with that mix of "black oil" (green to dark green depending on soak time in everclear) and coconut oil.

side effects are stabbing cramps (kind of similar like constipation or indigestion, bud different & more intense), kind of a burning
also burping up smells/tastes of the cannabis oil in coconut oil

i'm curious of ways to mitigate these side effects, possibly by combining with other ingredients or processing separately

If you decarb before you extract then you can just drink the everclear, saves a few steps (I'm sure you already know this). 1 teaspoon (common dose size) isn't all that much alcohol.
I'm not all that much of a fan of coconut oil just cause I don't like the taste, but nut oils can go rancid or you might have a mild nut allergy or the fats might upset your stomach. Some people have trouble digesting different types of fats.
I used to have trouble digesting butterfat & cannabutter would give me the symptoms similar to what you describes in the OP. Have eaten any uninfused coconut oil?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you decarb before you extract then you can just drink the everclear, saves a few steps (I'm sure you already know this). 1 teaspoon (common dose size) isn't all that much alcohol.
I'm not all that much of a fan of coconut oil just cause I don't like the taste, but nut oils can go rancid or you might have a mild nut allergy or the fats might upset your stomach. Some people have trouble digesting different types of fats.
I used to have trouble digesting butterfat & cannabutter would give me the symptoms similar to what you describes in the OP. Have eaten any uninfused coconut oil?
yes uninfused doesn't cause problems, oil in caps has no taste (aside from after burp)
don't want to have alcohol be a daily part of med regime

canna butter in larger doses can give same upset stomache... also made it with quicker soak and clean out to remove chlorophyll

Most likely you are leaving it in the everclear too long and getting too much plant material in the oil, causing the symptoms you describe. Good luck, you're on the right track. pr
i've experimented with quicker soaks... like 8-24 hour soak instead of long soak.

Biggobelly

I do my soaks in 200 proof for about 5 minutes. Cooked down beautifully with very little chlorophyll and no upset tummy...just a slight spicy warmth in my throat. Gathered in a dosing syringe and squeezing out joy. I just do mine straight up on a toothpick. Nice big thick lines rolled off on the tongue equals about 6-8 hours of relief.

When I would eat gram caps of RSO I could feel it get stuck because its so tough and make me a little queesy until it fully dissolved in the hydrochloric stomach acid. I read another poster saying lecithin helps them. Look into it. Warm tea with lemon is what I used to take it with and it seemed to help.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks everyone!

lately we have been making tincture with vegatable glycerin which is much easier on the stomach, seems like it doesn't pull as much chlorophyll (or any at all)
it's not the best solvent but it does make a pretty strong finished product

T

TheNewHippy

washing the herb frozen will see only the meds dissolve.
You wont get any chlorophyll this way .
It only needs to be washed for three minutes.

Del_9_THC

My guess is the coconut oil may be off/rancid?

Or maybe the consumers have some issues with oils/fats. (Think gallbladder/stomach issues, GERD, acid reflux etc.) I know folks who have no problem with spices and other socalled triggers for heartburn, but give them high fat foods, like thick Greek yougurt and .....boom....heartburn.

I have made green dragon, tinctures, and many edibles and I have never had stomach problems, nor has anyone else who used my products.

That's my two cents worth.

Adios

Del_9_THC

Chlorophyll issues?...maybe, but i guess they must be carnivores?

Seriously, if you eat plant matter (I.e. Veggies) ,especially green ones, then you are getting tons of chlorophyll in your diet, so I can't imagine a little more would have much effect.

(But if you eat no vegetables then I am guessing you have some pretty serious health issues, so stomach issue likely due to pre existing conditions)

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Combination of Chlorophyll and the Coconut oil/Butter. As suggested, a light green is the most you want, long soaks are not good due to the excess chlorophyll being picked up.

Using real olive oil (most on USA store shelves is adulterated with non-olive oils) or ghee will give you the best absorption for all blood types. I personally don't like the runs and the A blood type doesn't digest coconut oil. (only a small percentage of O blood types do it well)

When the oils are olive or ghee (made right) the absorption times are only varied by the contents of the person's stomach. All individuals with an empty stomach will have very similar onset and duration times, regardless of blood type. :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well dog gone it.

Douglas, I can't find a thing I disagree with in your post.

Odd in that the whole thing is usually a write off.

Correction:

I gather you are referencing blood type diets. Not knowing anything about the topic, I looked into it. A quick review of credible sources and I see this is widely regarded as baloney.

Maybe next time.

Last edited:
H

HemperorsKnight

yes uninfused doesn't cause problems, oil in caps has no taste (aside from after burp)
don't want to have alcohol be a daily part of med regime

canna butter in larger doses can give same upset stomache... also made it with quicker soak and clean out to remove chlorophyll

i've experimented with quicker soaks... like 8-24 hour soak instead of long soak.

Cannabutter makes you puke and leaves that nasty mucous buildup in your throat not a fan of Cannabutter I say replace it with coconut oil it has neither of the above side effects that I named

H

HemperorsKnight

How about make some dry sift then squish it to rosin then with that just decarboxylate it then take the reclaim after dabbing the decarboxylated oil and congregate it now with that you can eat it but I warn you that the flavor is uber potent and will make you gag but if you can kill that flavor you won't feel like ya gotta puke lol other than that it works supremely and is unadulterated so no chemicals involved at all including alcohol or you can take your distilled decarboxylated oil and set it in some already liquefied coconut oil and stir until the cannabis oil is dostributed all the way till its all green you can hemp seed oil to it for that extra nutritional boost by the way the more oil to coconut oil the more potent the final product will be so like 3 or 4 cups of decarbed distilled cannabis oil to let's say 4 to 5 cups of coconut oil the hemp seed oil add to your liking :tiphat: btw don't judge my ideal unless you try it anyways peace

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Well dog gone it.

Douglas, I can't find a thing I disagree with in your post.

Odd in that the whole thing is usually a write off.

Correction:

I gather you are referencing blood type diets. Not knowing anything about the topic, I looked into it. A quick review of credible sources and I see this is widely regarded as baloney.

Maybe next time.
I have zero issues with your cursory research, may it have full effect on your daily life. ;)

PDX Dopesmoker

Chlorophyll issues?...maybe, but i guess they must be carnivores?

Seriously, if you eat plant matter (I.e. Veggies) ,especially green ones, then you are getting tons of chlorophyll in your diet, so I can't imagine a little more would have much effect.

(But if you eat no vegetables then I am guessing you have some pretty serious health issues, so stomach issue likely due to pre existing conditions)

When you eat greens whole then your digestive system extracts from the greens the chemicals that it can extract. Thats different than extracting everything you can take out of the greens using ethanol and then eating the extraction.