What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC lebanese grow journal

conradino23

Lots of IBLs are not stable. Everyone thinks they all throw just 1 pheno... they are not clones in seed form. No doubt there will be variation in the line. Has nothing to do with the breeder, thats the genetics they are working with

I actually think that IBL denotes true breeding cultivar... and although technically it's not the same as LANDRACE these terms are used interchangeably. This means basically that a strain should have little genetic variation, which usually comes to 2 phenos tops in case of cannabis, which still share a lot in terms of characteristics. For example I popped few Colombian Gold '72 beans and they all look identical. It's almost like I'd grow stabilised tomato strain.

YetiOG

I actually think that IBL denotes true breeding cultivar... and although technically it's not the same as LANDRACE these terms are used interchangeably. This means basically that a strain should have little genetic variation, which usually comes to 2 phenos tops in case of cannabis, which still share a lot in terms of characteristics. For example I popped few Colombian Gold '72 beans and they all look identical. It's almost like I'd grow stabilised tomato strain.

Uh IBL stands for inbred line bud. How do you get true breeding out of ibl? Its not lets make it stand for what you think it does ibl stands for what it does. Ibls are what they are and you trying to invent some other meaning to them is a tad silly.

Lots of ibls are not stable, and lots of them are not true breeding. Ive grown several ibls and found variation. They arent clones in seed form. So your idea does not even close to hold true. Id advise growing a few ibl before you make generalizations about them that are untrue

CannaZen

Yes so um the individuals create the whole, Zygosity is the degree of similarity of the alleles for a trait in an organism. To demonstrate take have you the hash-plant cultivar, These may grow with close quarters and compete but together they make up an single organism. Compromise of individuality may create loss, For learning I want to share my experience. Seed that should find itself stranded might the loss resolve an individual, separate patch?
Inbreeding results in homozygosity, which can increase the chances of offspring being affected by recessive or deleterious traits. In competition I've seen individuality with Lebanese, The hemping male has been on the verge of flower very quickly pushing for pollination at the earliest, Its so silly that character really became pronounced when he grew to overhang the purple indus whom had fallen to her side for stability, the water had been careless. One may only presume the purpose is to Pollinate the closest desirable female with as many seed possible, for Pollen may spread far. oh I wish i had a photograph!

Last edited:

conradino23

Uh IBL stands for inbred line bud. How do you get true breeding out of ibl? Its not lets make it stand for what you think it does ibl stands for what it does. Ibls are what they are and you trying to invent some other meaning to them is a tad silly.

Lots of ibls are not stable, and lots of them are not true breeding. Ive grown several ibls and found variation. They arent clones in seed form. So your idea does not even close to hold true. Id advise growing a few ibl before you make generalizations about them that are untrue

It might stand for inbred line in theory, but if we take literally, then every F2 generation will be inbred, cause technically it is. Most of the growers/breeders mean true breeding strain when they use IBL term. Is it confusing? You bet... like a lot of cannabis terminology that's tossed around. To avoid more confusion let's just say that I meant TBS by IBL.

YetiOG

Not every ibl it true breeding. That is what YetiOG is trying to tell you. Just because a line is inbred does not mean it is true breeding.

Thank you les. I wasnt going to keep explaining to them that they cant just change what words are for their own purpose.

Some people are just confused beyond help...

YetiOG

It might stand for inbred line in theory, but if we take literally, then every F2 generation will be inbred, cause technically it is. Most of the growers/breeders mean true breeding strain when they use IBL term. Is it confusing? You bet... like a lot of cannabis terminology that's tossed around. To avoid more confusion let's just say that I meant TBS by IBL.

Its not confusing. Maybe you are confused but not that many people are confused on this subject. IBL stands for what it does, some breed true some dont thank you very much mr expert. You cant talk your way out of the fact you are wrong

conradino23

Ok I read into wrong information I'm giving up. So why do other growers keep using IBL as an acronym for true breeding strain particularly on ICMAG?

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=75397

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=253247

https://www.icmag.com/modules/Tutorials/Breeding/769.htm

If there's a confusion I can see a lot of it springing here. And I'm not bashing anyone, it's all over Internet on every bloody forum!

It might be a habit like indica vs. sativa, they're afganica and indica, aren't they? Pistils don't even exist. But who's gonna take on the right terminology at this point? Meaning is important I agree, but people change it all the time and sometimes you just have to use the common one to be understood. But I'm definitely willing to learn... well mr. expert in me feels it's the right thing to do, so I'll definitely keep your comments in mind. Thx.

troutman

Seed Whore
The following should simplify things.

If IBL's were all the same why would people bother cloning?

Reason: No 2 organisms are exactly the same.

Even identical twins don't behave the same.

IBL's do have some variations. But nowhere near as much as a Landrace for example.

Myself I want variations in my plants. I would be bored to death with identical plants.

Hope this helped somebody. :tiphat:

conradino23

Lebs in late flowering. No pests, no mould, no PM, no deficiencies, no problems in general.

Pheno A:

picture.php

View image in gallery

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
This thread has been an interesting read. I'm planning on running 4 or 6 Lebanese this next season. Letting males open polinate about 8 different strains. My goal is to find earlier flowering plants for a North Dakota greenhouse without a blackout system. We have a long vegetative cycle and a short period of time for optimal flowering. If anything I will get new terpine profiles that could be very interesting. Peace

grayeyes

From over producing seed in my last grow I have some advice which I didn' t heed.

Once you pollinate a branch get it covered with a paper or plastic bag with the ends closed up firmly. Then set the plant out and spray it down with water. The water kills the pollen so you are not pollinating the whole plant.

Lesson learned.

therevverend

Veteran
One way to understand true breeding vs Inbred line..

Say you had a hybrid strain you'd bred on for a long time. 33% of the flowers were green, 33% of the flowers purple, 33% purple and green. All the plants are short and stocky with thin leaves.

The short stocky part and thin leaves would be true breeding traits, they pass those on to their progeny every time. The flower color is not 'true breeding'. Because there's a 66% chance it won't be the same in the offspring.

It's not a 'true breeding strain' because the offspring aren't all the same but some of it's traits breed true. Lots and lots of breeders and growers have inbred line but very few have true breeding strains. Especially because we all like to make hybrids. It's a lot of work to fix traits to breed true.

Of course there's always mutations and some diversity no matter how true breeding a line is. It's obvious that so many lines are not true breeding when growers are talking about phenotypes. You don't have to worry about finding 'the keeper' with a true breeding plant, all the progeny should be very similar. This is why ganja growing is very different then vegetables for instance. You can go to the garden section of a hardware store and buy packs of all sorts of true bred plants for a buck or two. Now that cannabis is mostly legal it'll be one of the first thing that changes, you'll see all sorts of true breeding stuff soon. There's already lots of lines of true breeding hemp.