What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

RSC lebanese grow journal

troutman

Seed Whore
You can use an organic pesticide to reduce the bug damage right now.

Just don't use it when the plants are flowering. :tiphat:

conradino23

I know I just don't use them as I work on integrated pest management through High Brix, compost teas, mycorrhizae and so on... which is why weak plants in my garden usually happen due to genetic factors. Some strains are pest magnets unfortunately and I try to stay away from these. I just wanted to confirm that this Leb line has some weak phenos, which don't grow well in organic soil or have traits that make them susceptible to pest/weather/pathogen damage. It's the first time I grow this strain, but I can tell some of these just don't grow right.

ngakpa

Veteran
to be honest dude, I'm not sure you can make specific judgements about the inherent qualities of a strain based on growing a handful of plants in certain conditions

I'm sorry to see these ones haven't turned out well

but I can show you plenty of photos of beautiful vigorous plants grown from the same batch of seeds

CannaZen

nGakpa fancy seeing you here. I'm fascinated, I believe these plants are a gem in the rough. I would like to learn more of the Lebanese outdoors, Perhaps you could share these beautiful qualities? :)

Conradino, Thank you for sharing i think those are nice plants. I don't know very much but the soil at that spot looks to be in a particular recession, I guess that organic slow release fertilizers might not be as effective, the nutrients could dissipate from the plant. Shes doing alright though I have heard that its not best to top the leb.

Bc Budman how have your plants gone and what is the smoke like, is the aroma good?

I've debated on transplanting mine outdoors for this season but i think i'll hold off for seed productions with my plants to start outside next year, don't want to risk losing anything. I still have 5 of them going after starting in december last year, I've made many beginner mistakes like irregular waterings, severe wilting and becoming rootbound. very nice robust plant during flowering from the south facing windowsill but i'm sorry to say i hadn't the chance to try the flowers though the chemical fertilizers produced a cheap predictable taste, yuck. That plant was topped and left to veg under artificial lighting.

I've started some 8 more seeds and a few malana cream seeds together with 9 more red libanon from flash seeds (Lebanon crossed with mex 'rudi) a couple of weeks ago. I'm afraid they've not been properly mixed as a few of these show quite a lack of vigor and falling behind, i don't want to lose those two for they may contain the brunt of the autoflowering genetics.

Nanda devis on hold and the Chitrali soon to be at hand. In having these for so long a question for me that prevails is what value there is to be had in growing the genes for longterm? In other words i would like a stable that i may work on and they look like what the 80's to mid 90's homegrower had in their closet tbh.. who really knows. They are wonderful. They're short, outdoor 'hashplants' providing chemotypes to the different microclimates invariably and its also been suggested to contain quantities of alternative cannabinoids like CBDV! That, to me, is significant. Tell that to yer cash croppers and the prohibitionists that may promote negative incline.. all the way from Lebanon. The question is may they provide a medicine? What is the psychoactivity of these plants? At the least i can say that i feel like I've been shot, my body needs some kind of serious induction.

Photos! And More Photos!

Phen 1
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

CannaZen

Oh yeah! Did i say i was a newbie grower? It is a little embarrassing the damage they've suffered.

Here's some more photos of Pheno 1, aroma of a sort of sweet minty pine, coffee notes and also hints of strawberry at times but mostly a sour aroma now after the transplant.

picture.php

picture.php

and another pheno, vanilla with soft lemon oil.
picture.php

Here's lucky num 2 and 5
picture.php

My main man here with the indus purple alongside miss 5.

picture.php

Excellent leaf coloration, I've seen similar leaf among photos even from outdoor plants and i think its something special, perhaps sign that selection hadn't been made from indoor HPS lighting which probably promotes the alternative plant metabolisms. Btw plants in the photos with the thin stems are because they were recently transplanted and were rootbound in their pots, they've actually filled in quite some since.

I believe these plants would do well under low light conditions in northern cloudy climate but that is more conjecture, So looking forward to seeing these outside.

Last edited:

conradino23

to be honest dude, I'm not sure you can make specific judgements about the inherent qualities of a strain based on growing a handful of plants in certain conditions

I'm sorry to see these ones haven't turned out well

but I can show you plenty of photos of beautiful vigorous plants grown from the same batch of seeds

Definitely too early to say anything, but one thing is certain, you have to sift through phenos with this strain. I'll wait till harvest with my opinion, cause I still have high hopes for these plans. Some thing are gonna be figured out in the process I guess. Thx for response anyway.

thejact55

Here are my lebs from last year. three females indoors, pollinated by three males. one was a runt, but it had the most crystals. one female outdoors that did really well. they seemed to be drought tolerant, with moderate pest resistance, bugs did get to her a little. I also had to fight spider mites indoors on them. I wouldnt call them great pest tolerant plants, but not terrible. medium density, slightly leafy, with a hashy smell and taste. medium heavy high that is relaxing, but not too heavy for me

Attachments

• 20160612_140556.jpg
    20160612_140556.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20161008_180012.jpg
    20161008_180012.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20161008_175814.jpg
    20161008_175814.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20160612_140516.jpg
    20160612_140516.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 33

conradino23

Here are my lebs from last year. three females indoors, pollinated by three males. one was a runt, but it had the most crystals. one female outdoors that did really well. they seemed to be drought tolerant, with moderate pest resistance, bugs did get to her a little. I also had to fight spider mites indoors on them. I wouldnt call them great pest tolerant plants, but not terrible. medium density, slightly leafy, with a hashy smell and taste. medium heavy high that is relaxing, but not too heavy for me

That's great info. Yeah i can recognise the phenos, man. The dark-leaved one with slender fan leaves seems like a slightly less immune for pests, the other pheno is stronger. They don't have strong smell in veg, but I also grow stuff that's very smelly, so I can tell straight away. Would you say they make primo grade hash? That's what I'm really after here, I don't need this plant for anything else :jump::canabis:

troutman

Seed Whore
Most Landraces are very sensitive to nutrients and easily over fertilized.

They also do best in regular soil. Some potting mixes are too hot for them.

Each time you grow it will get better.

thejact55

What trout said. These plants are not meant to be super plants on steroids. I do a fortified soil mix with slow releasing organic nutrients built into the soil. I only hit them with a couple earthworm casting teas in their life. Nothing more. They yeild just as much as western strains, but much more efficiently actually.

As far as hash- sure they make great hash. I made some hash from it. I also smoke the green buds, which works just fine too.

I remember seeing comments on not using organic soil, as well as that these might be good in low light situations, both are untrue. Remember these plants are not far removed genetically from their natural form. They are used to nothing but organic treatment, in a place with extreme sun, a desert. Organic soil and hella sun should be the goal in trying to replicate their natural enviorment. Lack of light, and heavy synthetic nutes i think would be the downfall. You kinda have to change your mindset with landraces in my opinion.

conradino23

Yes man and that's what I'm doing. My techniques are a cross of LOS and High Brix. I don't pre-fertilise my potting mix or final spot with NPK nutrients, but I mineralise it. I also use beneficent fungi and bacteria throughout the grow. I use sun only from the start and support the plants with teas only in veg... once in 2 months, which is why I know when plant is lagging behind, especially that I usually grow 5-7 different varieties in the season. I have around 30 plants in the ground right now and I've been growing for 14 years both outdoor and indoor. Now I don't blame the breeder for genetics that have been developed outside his stock room, but I can definitely see big spread between the phenos in this line, which means it hasn't been stabilised and the only thing I'm trying to find out is whether this strain has phenos that make it worth my while. I'm sure you can all understand it.

thejact55

Sorry didnt mean to come across harsh. IMO, there are some plants worth while in this line. With rsc seeds, numbers are needed at times to find the gems. Lol i found that the leb was more stabile than alot of the other offerings from rsc...but i like variation and the hunt to comes with these more "raw" plants. Best of luck, keep us posted on how it turns out.

CannaZen

My mental image of the range of expression are much more complete now with the round bush plant photo, Thank you.

The modern cultivars are bred for performance in consistency and that's where the landrace is given its namesake. In competition for nutrients within a natural environment a lot of resources are leached and spread throughout the area in an ebb and flow of trade between the micro organisms and the plants, the soil in which they're grown could be seen as one living organism from that perspective with its own individuality, these plants may be more adept for survival in that, that is the efficiency in fact.
I'm interested in optimizing plants for the micro-climate in my locality but what i am suggesting is that these plants had not yet been naturalized and I think slow-release fertilizers may only go so far in that situation sometimes. It has been suggested that it best is to make pollination of all of the plants with the first generation, so as to maintain the best possible variation for desirable characteristics before performing selection.

And i do agree you are correct in that these plants appear to be suited for much greater temperatures of sunlight particularly with how reflective the leaf shade may be but under my blue/UV t5 florescent bulbs and some outdoor photos I've seen from the Rsc subforums, it certainly begs the question. I'm curious how they might perform under cloudy conditions under temperate regions.

I've not had any pests so far. :)

I would like to learn more about the genotype and the variability to climate, how the character may change over the course of successive generations. When i think of it, these plants have descended from only a handful of seeds depending upon how far back you go in history. I really enjoy the compact christmas tree NLD Pinnate look, they're certainly classic. I wonder are they really all that different from the Afghani in effect? I've not had grown either of which and I'm kind of a hipster of the mainstream. Ideally the Lebanese offers a different range of terpenoids than that of other seed catalogs my hope is.

Call me a fanboi but my overall experience has been sweet, I think they are excellent for this enthusiast, They grow like Mint! Could it be open pollination?

Last edited:

YetiOG

Yes man and that's what I'm doing. My techniques are a cross of LOS and High Brix. I don't pre-fertilise my potting mix or final spot with NPK nutrients, but I mineralise it. I also use beneficent fungi and bacteria throughout the grow. I use sun only from the start and support the plants with teas only in veg... once in 2 months, which is why I know when plant is lagging behind, especially that I usually grow 5-7 different varieties in the season. I have around 30 plants in the ground right now and I've been growing for 14 years both outdoor and indoor. Now I don't blame the breeder for genetics that have been developed outside his stock room, but I can definitely see big spread between the phenos in this line, which means it hasn't been stabilised and the only thing I'm trying to find out is whether this strain has phenos that make it worth my while. I'm sure you can all understand it.

Lots of IBLs are not stable. Everyone thinks they all throw just 1 pheno... they are not clones in seed form. No doubt there will be variation in the line. Has nothing to do with the breeder, thats the genetics they are working with

troutman

Seed Whore
Now I don't blame the breeder for genetics that have been developed outside his stock room, but I can definitely see big spread between the phenos in this line, which means it hasn't been stabilised and the only thing I'm trying to find out is whether this strain has phenos that make it worth my while. I'm sure you can all understand it.

Landraces are not uniform and have lots of variation. :tiphat:

It's what allows them to survive in harsh environments.

CannaZen

I'm growing something that is an vital important aspect. I'm understanding that it may be close and in doing I have found that I'm standing for ground so that i may approach this in form, i care about the direction i am taking as long term.

Cretinous, I should apologize, its necessary. For health, i believe in something that grows and i believe the difference is that variable of epigenetic proportion; the result of all recombination and of present expression its dimensional science. :)

Last edited:

ngakpa

Veteran
Lots of IBLs are not stable. Everyone thinks they all throw just 1 pheno... they are not clones in seed form. No doubt there will be variation in the line. Has nothing to do with the breeder, thats the genetics they are working with

not sure what IBLs have to do with any of this

this Lebanese is an open-pollinated heirloom strain

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
When I buy heirloom strains, I expect some nanners and hemp like plants in the bunch. Pick off the nanners and toss the hemp phenos. I keep any seeds a potent plant makes, not worried about intersex traits.

Latest posts

Latest posts