What's new

Round Infinity

packerfan79

Veteran
What is on top of the jiffy pellets? I tried jiffy pellets for veggie seeds and canna seeds, and lost most of them. It seems to me e they held to much water. It could be me, but I have had good luck with seed starring mix.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
What is on top of the jiffy pellets? I tried jiffy pellets for veggie seeds and canna seeds, and lost most of them. It seems to me e they held to much water. It could be me, but I have had good luck with seed starring mix.

If I had to guess, it looks like hydrated kelp meal to me. :biggrin:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it's vermiculite
my process for the jiffy pellets is; soak in water with inoculant (been using rootwise, just be sure it has trichoderma) then i layout the media in a tray with dome, put down seeds, top with a pinch of VAM (more inoculant, glomus varieties) then top with vermiculite
vermiculite is nice because it holds some water but is super lightweight so seedlings can just push up thru it
i've found this process greatly reduces damping off and loss of seedings during this stage - for veggies and ganja and hemp

i use the same process for popping seeds in rockwool or in trays full of soil, or cells... i always innoculate w tricho & glomus and i top with vermiculite

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
quicker to take pics of my notes than type everything out:

picture.php

^flipped this breeding room, letting the females get a couple weeks headstart on the male...
so the trog-ox male is still in veg, he is a trogger bx ((flo x ox) x ox)

picture.php

^ making truffle butter

picture.php

^ shaved truffles in butter

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wonder what happened to mtntrogger.
me 2..... good peeps

trog-ox (trogger bx ox) breeding tent is looking nice, nearly every plant looks prime and healthy, stretched out nice and just barely starting to set buds... few more days or so an di'll be ready to put the male in there with them.

most of the seed moms from the grapestomper og x bubba jam are harvested, so that run is over

big bed downstairs is mid week 3, chugging along

most of my attention has been on getting as many hemp seedlings started and cloning off my hemp moms for the field... and nursing hemp moms into better health in order to get better clone from them
i'm sexing hemp seedlings in solo cups hoping they will show sex and remain healthy enough to transplant and put in the field around june 1
constantly running out of space beneath lights and hanging new lights over new spaces to keep alive hemp plants

also been working on paperwork for state certified hemp seed - i want to submit one variety for certification.... at this time there is NO state certified CBD hemp seed (yet).

the "kick in the balls" right now is water
we had a very dry winter in my area of colorado... probably won't have enough ag water to make it thru the season, not sure how im going to supplement (aside from doing rain dances & begging jah for precipitation)
best option is getting drip tape installed on manifolds that i can run domestic water thru or even run cisterned/trucked in water thru them... i don't like that option because its an unexpected cost and adds a good amount of labor & cost to the season (if only it had snowed this winter!)

working on marketing the products we are making; seeds, CBD products, fermented soil conditioners

the ferments really deserve attention - want to find a couple more distributors for them
comfrey for ferments and salve is already coming up in the field, which is nice because comfrey loves water and if it will come back after a dry winter like this past one it is a good sign of vigor.

how's that for a lil update? i'll get some pics up soon :D

HorseBadoritiz

Sounds like a busy Spring for ya, Avi! What kind of comfrey do you have going? I've got a Bocking #4 that doesn't need much water, and the roots are supposed to go way down (like 17') to look for it.

Remember kudzu, the curse of Carolina? As soon as it starts greening back up, I'm going to collect a bunch of new tips, and try it for a veg fpe... could be Jack and the Beanstalk stuff, lol!

Good luck with the hemp starts! Does sex matter?

G

Gr33nSanta

I think comfrey goes way deeper than 17''. Do not cut it back the first year for faster establishment. I can get about 5 massive cuts a year now after the 3 rd year.

I have unknown, bocking 4 and bocking 14. I cant really tell the difference between the bocking 4 and 14, I think my 4 is a little more vigorous but I think it has more to do with where I planted it in the first place. I have 3 small patches and they are all ready to rock this year! already 8-10'' tall!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sounds like a busy Spring for ya, Avi! What kind of comfrey do you have going? I've got a Bocking #4 that doesn't need much water, and the roots are supposed to go way down (like 17') to look for it.

Remember kudzu, the curse of Carolina? As soon as it starts greening back up, I'm going to collect a bunch of new tips, and try it for a veg fpe... could be Jack and the Beanstalk stuff, lol!

Good luck with the hemp starts! Does sex matter?

mostly bocking variety of comfrey, might have a few of other varieties but its mostly bocking

def i remember kudzu, probably a great option for FPE/FPJ

sex totally matters w the hemp starts; i germinate the seeds in jiffy pellets, up-pot to a solo cup and let them really fill that container, once the roots coil up a lil bit they start to show sex, once they show sex i can up-pot them again and have ONLY females in 1-3 gallon pots.
i'm struggling to find floor space for all this hemp under veg lights once they go from cups to 1gallons, tho
in a week or 2 i'll start bringing plants outside to harden off and back inside under lights at night.... that's the plan

redlaser

Veteran
mostly bocking variety of comfrey, might have a few of other varieties but its mostly bocking

def i remember kudzu, probably a great option for FPE/FPJ

sex totally matters w the hemp starts; i germinate the seeds in jiffy pellets, up-pot to a solo cup and let them really fill that container, once the roots coil up a lil bit they start to show sex, once they show sex i can up-pot them again and have ONLY females in 1-3 gallon pots.
i'm struggling to find floor space for all this hemp under veg lights once they go from cups to 1gallons, tho
in a week or 2 i'll start bringing plants outside to harden off and back inside under lights at night.... that's the plan

I divided my comfrey a couple months ago into trays and put into greenhouse. Turned 10 , two year old plants into fifty starts for this year. Worked out good because initially they were too deep and wet where planted.

It sounds like making fem hemp seeds would be worth it, ever tried that yet?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I divided my comfrey a couple months ago into trays and put into greenhouse. Turned 10 , two year old plants into fifty starts for this year. Worked out good because initially they were too deep and wet where planted.

It sounds like making fem hemp seeds would be worth it, ever tried that yet?
i love how easily comfrey is propagated by separating roots

i've made thc fems, and considered making CBD hemp fems (lets say that is "on my list")
the colorado dept of ag peeps told me that they could not / would not certify a feminized seed, or at least that had never been done and accomplishing it will be a "big money" task.

for the time being i'm just making regs; fems will happen eventually

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

^ lime cookies bubba x sour bubble
all berry and wine smell with only subtle hints of creamy kush

picture.php

^ different lime cookies bubba x sour bubble
more kushy but still very fruity/floral berry smell and flavor

picture.php

picture.php

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
i love how easily comfrey is propagated by separating roots

i've made thc fems, and considered making CBD hemp fems (lets say that is "on my list")
the colorado dept of ag peeps told me that they could not / would not certify a feminized seed, or at least that had never been done and accomplishing it will be a "big money" task.

for the time being i'm just making regs; fems will happen eventually

When you get into the commercial world of Government Ag, things are done differently. I can't say that I know of many kinds of plants out there that are breed for females only. I know seedless fruits are a thing that is a high demand thing, that is kind of like fem seeds but from cloning one plant. But I wonder if the Ag department wouldn't look at that as more of a GMO type of label.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
no fem seeds are not GMO, it's just something that they aren't prepared to deal with so it would be a long and expensive process - that's my understanding

picture.php

^ Chem Brulee

picture.php

^
"tarheel kush" (pinetar kush x appalachia)

picture.php

^ Lime cookies bubba x sour bubble

picture.php

^
lime cookies bubba x sour bubble

picture.php

^ baby tomatoes

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So much variety, I love it :D ....can’t wait to see ur hemp field cranking, how big a plot do you farm?
i'm actually farming much less than i've registered due to the water situation this year (not enough!)
probably planting a small area like 1/4-1/2 acre and planting very densely with hemp and vegetables (separately)
i'd rather have a crowded field that i can water this season than a big spread out situation that i can only water 1/2 of or less

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

^ field has been tilled (after plowing and discing first)
almost ready to plant, still need irrigation lines marked

picture.php

^ fencing materials!
dropped on the far side of the field, will get around to that job eventually....

picture.php

^ made t shirts!

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Not very much snow on the mountains. I knew Durango was dry, but your spread is pretty close it looks like.

Latest posts

Latest posts