What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

Heusinomics

What's the cost on that PFR-97?

That stuff reads up to sound pretty dope!
Bummer is only gota 30 day shelf life n that's refrigerated.

Does say it treats broad mites! So it could b a bennifit to add to a IPM rotation!..

I def encourage anyone using it to post up there results.
Keep up the great work everybody.

Big ups respect and happy growing.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the real problem with MET & PFR is that inorder for them to be effective you must maintain 60% humidity at least... that's next to impossible in a non-sealed room in colorado.
that's why i haven't jumped on the PFR & MET to fight bugs.
i do foliar feed with BTI from time to time, altho that needs the humidity to thrive in the phylosphere as well. but i have the BTI laying around, feed it to the roots regularly to help keep the flying insects down...
father earth suggested PFR in his broad mites thread, we discussed the necessary humidity levels being an obstacle in some areas/growing conditions (especially very arid). i think it probably does work very well... like heusinomics said - i'd like to hear about people's experience with using it PARTICULARLY in a growing situation as dry as mine is (non sealed room in high desert)

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
the real problem with MET & PFR is that inorder for them to be effective you must maintain 60% humidity at least... that's next to impossible in a non-sealed room in colorado.
that's why i haven't jumped on the PFR & MET to fight bugs.
i do foliar feed with BTI from time to time, altho that needs the humidity to thrive in the phylosphere as well. but i have the BTI laying around, feed it to the roots regularly to help keep the flying insects down...
father earth suggested PFR in his broad mites thread, we discussed the necessary humidity levels being an obstacle in some areas/growing conditions (especially very arid). i think it probably does work very well... like heusinomics said - i'd like to hear about people's experience with using it PARTICULARLY in a growing situation as dry as mine is (non sealed room in high desert)

:yeahthats

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
corpsey - im curious what kind of environment you are in... how high your grow room humidity is generally, and if you can tell if humidity levels affect how well the PFR works?

Corpsey

pollen dabber
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I forgot some people don't have high humidity. Yeah mine is pretty high if I don't run the dehumidifier. Right now in winter it is anywhere from 70-80% sometimes higher. I live under redwoods so usually it's a bitch to keep it dryer in this house.

Also I looked it up before I bought pfr97 and I found that you could store it for up to one year in the fridge. I hope that is correct, its not cheap at all.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
My main interest in using this product would be as a soil drench. Along those lines would I need to worry about the humidity at all if it's for that application?

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so long as the humidity (moisture levels) in your soil remain 60% or more, which should be easy compared to getting the air to that point.
what are you worried about in the soil that you want to feed PFR to the soil? not a bad idea at all, im just curious what you are getting at wdi.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
so long as the humidity (moisture levels) in your soil remain 60% or more, which should be easy compared to getting the air to that point.
what are you worried about in the soil that you want to feed PFR to the soil? not a bad idea at all, im just curious what you are getting at wdi.

Goddamn plant herpes, I mean Root Aphids. I tried getting rid of them in the past and those are the most resilient little shits. I alternate feed/waterings with Microbelift BMC thrown in the mix but they are still around with fluctuating populations that are pretty consistent with how often I use the BMC. I figured that the PFR would be another good angle to hit them from. I'm not looking to completely get rid of them as I realize how hard that would be for me with my setup. I'm pretty much looking to just tread water and keep them in check until I eventually move from this place and take only fresh cuts with me to root at the next place. Real Talk

Last edited:

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i haven't had the pleasure of dealing w/ RA. Have you guys been using neem seed meal as a soil amendment? have you tried bti?

i found neem eliminated fungus gnats at high enough levels & feel like using it keeps soil pests at bay. a bti drench should be a pretty inhospitable environment for any little fliers like that ~never had to take that step

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yhea, when i see alot of flyers around the soil surface i topcoat with neem cake/meal. i don't mix neem into soil, so feel safe topcoating with plenty.
my thinking is that the neem is needed towards the top of the soil level.
i've heard of people using big time ex. on soil to kill pests in soil. i haven't done it so can't suggest it....
i don't think you would have to spend as much as that PFR to get rid of RA. have you tried DE topcoat?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
i haven't had the pleasure of dealing w/ RA. Have you guys been using neem seed meal as a soil amendment? have you tried bti?

i found neem eliminated fungus gnats at high enough levels & feel like using it keeps soil pests at bay. a bti drench should be a pretty inhospitable environment for any little fliers like that ~never had to take that step

yhea, when i see alot of flyers around the soil surface i topcoat with neem cake/meal. i don't mix neem into soil, so feel safe topcoating with plenty.
my thinking is that the neem is needed towards the top of the soil level.
i've heard of people using big time ex. on soil to kill pests in soil. i haven't done it so can't suggest it....
i don't think you would have to spend as much as that PFR to get rid of RA. have you tried DE topcoat?

Done the neem top dress as well as the DE topdress and also went so far as to take the plant out of the solo cup, remove the bottom section of roots to allow enough room to put DE on the bottom of the cup as well to get any RA trying to get in through the drain holes. Pretty much just using the Bti to keep them in check.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
no words....only links...

http://www.evergreengrowers.com/fun...aria-fungus-gnat-control/atheta-coriaria.html

a-rove-beetle-tachyporus-hypnorum-feeding-on-aphids-ADKWHT.jpg

a-rove-beetle-tachyporus-hypnorum-attacking-a-prey-aphid-ADMD5T.jpg

a-rove-beetle-atheta-coriaria-feeding-on-a-blackberry-leaf-midge-larva-BEPPNY.jpg

head-of-a-rove-beetle-germany-DAEC3F.jpg

rove-beetle-u-face-upper-marlboro-md2013-08-21-163444-zs-pmax9639346589o-E6RRY0.jpg

G

Was in the grow store today and spotted a bag of perlite sitting in a dusty corner with a price that fit my budget so I brought it home to try. I've used different brands, most never seemed to fit the description that most growers gave about the chunk size needed to do a good job. Just wondering if anyone has used this brand and can tell enough from the pic to say good quality or not. It looks a lot better than the Miracle Dust crap from HD, I know that.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if it aint dust it's gota be ok, never hurts to rinse that stuff, and chunky big stuff is nice. looks like you got "the good stuff" kief :D
personally i'm moving towards more lava rock, pumice and rice hulls in place of perlite, that's just me.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yhea, pumice is nearly the same as growstones at a fraction of the price, i can get lava rock locally for free, just find the right arroyo or canyon and the shit is everywhere, red and black by me. same with bentonite, sand, and much more - i'd rather collect it locally for next to nothing than buy a bag of overpriced, recycled, repurposed "grow-stones"

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
yeahhhh rove beetles are my homies!

microbe man suggested them way back, saying they stuck around in his no till indoor and were voracious predators.

ours have completely established in the garden and they can be seen hunting like helicopter-equipped jungle cats many many months since they were initially released. i love them.

IME perlite is perlite. the quality of the bag is more about how it was handled between being made and ending up on the shelf in front of you. the stuff that is sold by miracle grow or black gold is a fine screen to start with and then gets totally smashed by the time it gets to the consumer. still good for cloning tho!

the coarser grades like #3 and #4 usually only come in 4 cu ft. bags and seem to get less destroyed in the handling process ime.

i used to hate on perlite but now that i've got a bad back i'm grateful for the weight saved over pumice and lava rock.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Was in the grow store today and spotted a bag of perlite sitting in a dusty corner with a price that fit my budget so I brought it home to try. I've used different brands, most never seemed to fit the description that most growers gave about the chunk size needed to do a good job. Just wondering if anyone has used this brand and can tell enough from the pic to say good quality or not. It looks a lot better than the Miracle Dust crap from HD, I know that.

if it aint dust it's gota be ok, never hurts to rinse that stuff, and chunky big stuff is nice. looks like you got "the good stuff" kief :D
personally i'm moving towards more lava rock, pumice and rice hulls in place of perlite, that's just me.

Growstones are pricey but do the job your looking for. I mix the gs-1 with coco or soil and it works great, I have reused them in the past, but am now sticking to pure coco since it still drains fast w/o it.

yhea, pumice is nearly the same as growstones at a fraction of the price, i can get lava rock locally for free, just find the right arroyo or canyon and the shit is everywhere, red and black by me. same with bentonite, sand, and much more - i'd rather collect it locally for next to nothing than buy a bag of overpriced, recycled, repurposed "grow-stones"

yeahhhh rove beetles are my homies!

microbe man suggested them way back, saying they stuck around in his no till indoor and were voracious predators.

ours have completely established in the garden and they can be seen hunting like helicopter-equipped jungle cats many many months since they were initially released. i love them.

IME perlite is perlite. the quality of the bag is more about how it was handled between being made and ending up on the shelf in front of you. the stuff that is sold by miracle grow or black gold is a fine screen to start with and then gets totally smashed by the time it gets to the consumer. still good for cloning tho!

the coarser grades like #3 and #4 usually only come in 4 cu ft. bags and seem to get less destroyed in the handling process ime.

i used to hate on perlite but now that i've got a bad back i'm grateful for the weight saved over pumice and lava rock.

Have none of y'all ever tried hopping on the diatomaceous earth bandwagon? At least for one ride? DE, aka NAPA Floor Dry is cheap as fuck, and also functions for water retention and an aerator. Plus it doesn't all float up to the surface like perlite does. It's like a full on double rainbow, but for your soil..... what does it meeaannnn???

*Edit* - Wanted to clarify, I'm not against perlite at all. I just think that you could maybe go half and half on DE and perlite in your mix unless you feel like going straight to the deep end of the pool and fully double rainbow that DE.

Last edited:

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
i've used the NAPA product in soil mixes in the past. i like it but it's also crazy heavy.

i think it's a good addition to outdoor mixes as it helps resist drought situations.

makes a very good looking bosai medium too, if you're into that kinda thing :biggrin:

bonsai-soil.jpg

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm not too sure about using DE or floor dry solely for aeration... i know it does provide some air pockets... but nothing like the gaping caverns of lava rock, cunky perlite. it seems to me that even pumice has larger pores, more physical capabilities for providing aeration in a soil (that may become compacted over time from repeated watering) than DE. the floor dry pelets do have some more structure to them, but generally very small pores; or is there a form of DE that isn't just a dust? I'm more apt to use DE as a calcium source than aeration, personally. and i wonder how much porosity/aeration that material would supply when/if the soil got really really wet (which is when you need the aeration the most, imo)
i don't think the DE/floor dry would do you any favors on the weight situation, as it also absorbs and holds water.
perlite really is great for making your soils weigh less wet or dry. lava rock is heavy stuff, so every gallon of it comes with the cost of lifting that extra weight everytime you touch a pot of soil. rice hulls are nice and light, which is a reason i use them.... i like it also because the rice hulls break down over time, giving you a lil bit of a barometer on your microbial activity and other soil borne decomposers. the sooner you need more rice hulls the more active decomposition is going on in the soil by bugs & microbes. rice hulls do not provide that large scale "cavernous" aeration like the chunky perlite and lava rock. how beneficial those larger pores are in soil.... i can't really say, i just like to have it in my mix, something larger sized with larger sized pores in my soil primarily for aeration.

rove beetles; i need to do more research about them, i suppose i could just ask all my questions here and get the answers... but im gonna do some reading first :thinking: