What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Round Infinity

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
and i like how the collection barrel is nicely hidden down in the window well.... even less likely it will ever cause problems.

Me too, I like how it's not seen. Out of sight out of mind.

I wasn't aware it was illegal to collect run off in Colorado, until I read about it. Colorado is the ONLY state that does not allow collection of run off water.

G

better make sure that trash can never freezes with any water in it Keif. i've had 2 different ones split at the bottom because i let that happen. i switched to the 55 gallon barrels after the second one and they can handle some ice.

yours might never freeze solid in the window well ...... could be bad if it does though

Yes, I did give that some thought from the start and it would have by now I'm sure. Just happened that I was able to route my exhaust duct from flower and direct into the window well. It keeps enough heat present to prevent it from freezing except a thin layer on top. I like to run a plant or two in the window well during the summer and the heat from the same duct lets them finish after it turns cold. Yeah, that would be pretty rude to come downstairs and find the barrel split. Not sure how I'd get 200 lbs of ice out of a window well. Ha!

thanks

Thanks

G

I never dreamed that it was illegal to collect runoff in any state. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do seem to recall seeing a few lines from an article about it being against the law. I must have thought it was a joke! Hell, I thought I had stopped breaking the law when A64 passed!

I guess the main difference between what I'm doing and just opening a tap in the house for water is that my snow barrel water doesn't go through the meter for charges. I think the argument that I'm depriving a tributary is weakened when you consider that much of the runoff water that I'm catching would be lost from evaporation long before it would get into the river.

Appreciate the heads up from everyone about this, hope they change the law.

Jhhnn

Veteran
point is if ENOUGH people collected ENOUGH runoff (and trust me overtime it WOULD HAPPEN imo) then certain tributaries would diminish and the water flowing OUT of the state would also diminish, impacting agriculture and growth potential of a large portion of the west. you pay for water from the spigot ("domestic" water) according to how much you use. ditch right water is much more complicated, but you don't pay depending how much you use, you get an allotment per your payment.
i don't think that 110 gallons per home would make a difference (as the recent bills would allow, if passed) but in a dry year, several dry years in a row.... might could make a difference in the quantity of water not only available in CO, but leaving the state as well.
there is a famous saying in the arid american west: whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting

when looking at properties in agricultural areas you realize how complicated the water rights are, every ditch, every canal, every creek and river and "live" water is heavily regulated. what accounts for a "water right" from one ditch is different from another ditch. some are measured in cu. ft. of water per minute, some are measured in standing water depth per acre, some are measured other ways, im no expert; but i'm rapidly becoming aware of HOW intense the situation concerning water rights in colorado and beyond actually is.

at my last location i had a pond that filled from the canal half the year, used alot of water from it during that time. also dug alot of pond muck from it for the soil

Here in the West, water is clear liquid gold. The whole system of allocation is based on seniority. If senior downstream users can't get their allocation they can make a call on junior rights, cut off their supply. The most senior rights are usually downstream. Colorado is obligated to deliver a certain amount downstream because we're at the head of every major western watershed. If we don't, our supply is threatened because our rights are junior. So, gathering rainwater in general is illegal, a statute written mostly to prohibit farmers & ranchers from building catchment basins for water belonging to other people.

Figure that every raindrop landing in CO belongs to somebody.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
point is if ENOUGH people collected ENOUGH runoff (and trust me overtime it WOULD HAPPEN imo) then certain tributaries would diminish and the water flowing OUT of the state would also diminish, impacting agriculture and growth potential of a large portion of the west. you pay for water from the spigot ("domestic" water) according to how much you use. ditch right water is much more complicated, but you don't pay depending how much you use, you get an allotment per your payment.
i don't think that 110 gallons per home would make a difference (as the recent bills would allow, if passed) but in a dry year, several dry years in a row.... might could make a difference in the quantity of water not only available in CO, but leaving the state as well.
there is a famous saying in the arid american west: whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting

when looking at properties in agricultural areas you realize how complicated the water rights are, every ditch, every canal, every creek and river and "live" water is heavily regulated. what accounts for a "water right" from one ditch is different from another ditch. some are measured in cu. ft. of water per minute, some are measured in standing water depth per acre, some are measured other ways, im no expert; but i'm rapidly becoming aware of HOW intense the situation concerning water rights in colorado and beyond actually is.

at my last location i had a pond that filled from the canal half the year, used alot of water from it during that time. also dug alot of pond muck from it for the soil

Its all more control freak bullshit.... TONS of water is being held from the southwest by the Hoover dam...
Which was a "land reclamation project" but reclaim the land from WHO?.... well... starve the redskins of water and you can "reclaim" the now empty land.

They did the same in Ethiopia on the Blue Nile when they built a dam and created Lake Tana... now Ethiopia has almost no water to speak of for its people.

In fact... if you look at history, Rome got almost all of its grains from Egypt... How? Egypt is a desert!...

Well, the Aswan High Dam in Egypt created Lake Nasser (slowing the Nile to a trickle of its former glory) before that, the Nile sent 42 billion cubic yards of water to the sea each year.
After the dam was built, the flow to the sea dropped to only about 7.9 billion cubic yards.... and the desert conditions obviously got much much worse.

I bet you a dollar against a donut that China's "three gorges dam" empties the land downstream as well...

the earth is 70% water... acting like we dont have enough is idiocy... its just another control tactic... and a way to move people out of where they're not wanted.

homework: go to google maps and find a remote inaccessible lake held by a oddly placed dam...
they're usually in mountainous regions where the people cannot easily access it...
then find the trickle or dry bed of what once was a river...
follow that downstream and you can easily see who they fucked over...

G

Here in the West, water is clear liquid gold. The whole system of allocation is based on seniority. If senior downstream users can't get their allocation they can make a call on junior rights, cut off their supply. The most senior rights are usually downstream. Colorado is obligated to deliver a certain amount downstream because we're at the head of every major western watershed. If we don't, our supply is threatened because our rights are junior. So, gathering rainwater in general is illegal, a statute written mostly to prohibit farmers & ranchers from building catchment basins for water belonging to other people.

Thanks Jhhnn, I know you're stating the legal facts of the matter and I don't doubt a word. If I were a religious man instead of a pot growing/smoking heathen, I would say that the snow/rain that falls on my roof belongs to God and he wants me to use it as I see fit. Failing that argument, I will say that before my house was built, the snow fell on prairie land and was either was absorbed into the soil, maybe a few drops making it into an aquifer, a large portion evaporated. A tiny fraction maybe making it's way into the s Platte basin watershed. The tile roof on my house is collecting and melting huge amounts of snow every year that is being very efficiently directed into the water system by gutter and downspouts that I paid for and maintained for the last 15 years. My point is, I'm supplying the system with tons more fresh water than they would ever had otherwise. I don't think the tiny amount I'm using amounts to a drop in the ocean and I agree that the law was certainly meant to prevent large scale abuse.

Keif

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Its all more control freak bullshit.... TONS of water is being held from the southwest by the Hoover dam...
Which was a "land reclamation project" but reclaim the land from WHO?.... well... starve the redskins of water and you can "reclaim" the now empty land.

They did the same in Ethiopia on the Blue Nile when they built a dam and created Lake Tana... now Ethiopia has almost no water to speak of for its people.

In fact... if you look at history, Rome got almost all of its grains from Egypt... How? Egypt is a desert!...

Well, the Aswan High Dam in Egypt created Lake Nasser (slowing the Nile to a trickle of its former glory) before that, the Nile sent 42 billion cubic yards of water to the sea each year.
After the dam was built, the flow to the sea dropped to only about 7.9 billion cubic yards.... and the desert conditions obviously got much much worse.

I bet you a dollar against a donut that China's "three gorges dam" empties the land downstream as well...

the earth is 70% water... acting like we dont have enough is idiocy... its just another control tactic... and a way to move people out of where they're not wanted.

homework: go to google maps and find a remote inaccessible lake held by a oddly placed dam...
they're usually in mountainous regions where the people cannot easily access it...
then find the trickle or dry bed of what once was a river...
follow that downstream and you can easily see who they fucked over...
good points.... reminds me of a very good documentary (on netflx i think) called "Damnation" about the ill effects of dams across america and the "activist" movement to have many dams removed.

on the other hand... i have seen with my own eyes one of the largest rivers of the Indian subcontinent( Yamuna) run only a trickle thru its dry bed, nearly a half mile wide; not as a result of dams/redirection but of overpopulation, poor (or nonexistent) oversight of water resources, and drought.

half the tent room is harvested, plucked of fan leaves and hung till dry trim.
plucking seeds from the double pollinated juicy fruit female now...

Phases

Wow I didn't know it was illegal to collect rain water anywhere in the world let alone the US - I kind of understand, with the whole if everyone did it there would be a large impact. But it's rain water and I think it's crazy to say you can't collect rain water but you can pay for as much as you want.

Crazyness - actually now that it's been mentioned I want to get a rain barrel and hook it up to a pump with drip lines to feed my peppers and tomatoes - auto feeding outdoor grow would be sweet.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
The common excuse is overpopulation... in that case it may be correct, but the Yamuna has the following working dams:

Asan Barrage, Dakpathar Barrage, Gandhi Sagar Dam, Hathni Kund Barrage, Ichari Dam, Lakhwar Dam, Rana Pratap Sagar Dam and the Tajewala Barrage

all of those slow the natural flow of that river....

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My opinion is aligned w C4 in this subject.
Nothing more than the few controling the many.
As a legal precedent, Maybury v Maddison concluded that "Any law that violates the Constitution is void".

I collect water as a matter of Right to survival.

I never dreamed that it was illegal to collect runoff in any state. Now that I'm thinking about it, I do seem to recall seeing a few lines from an article about it being against the law. I must have thought it was a joke! Hell, I thought I had stopped breaking the law when A64 passed!

I guess the main difference between what I'm doing and just opening a tap in the house for water is that my snow barrel water doesn't go through the meter for charges. I think the argument that I'm depriving a tributary is weakened when you consider that much of the runoff water that I'm catching would be lost from evaporation long before it would get into the river.

Appreciate the heads up from everyone about this, hope they change the law.
That's the #1 argument in the arid west for water collection.

Malarky! In the "water conservation district" I'm in farmers are limited to 10 foot dams... no limit to haw many.
It's a rare thing to even see flowing water on top if this plateau.
I think, but am not positive, that catchment basins are regulated differently according districts.
Very few basins here hold water past August.

G

Hey Avi,

A couple of pics of my Flo cross just minutes before the chop. Probably the largest plant I've ever grown and the most trouble free, for sure. This was a cut I took from a plant of my last grow that looked promising and I think is much better than the mom. I think she's at about 65 days and could go longer but I need the room, so she's coming down. I took some sample buds last week and dried for a few days, rolled up a fatty early yesterday morning and was fried til noon from just a few hits. I'm hoping it will calm down a little with some cure. Very potent for me and I smoke often.

Original Flo x (O haze x Skunk #1)

picture.php

picture.php

I grew some of Sam's freebies a few years back and got a male that had great structure and lots of color. Made F2s with that boy and crossed to a nice Flo mom I had at the time. This is from seed using that male.

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
Hey Avi,

A couple of pics of my Flo cross just minutes before the chop. Probably the largest plant I've ever grown and the most trouble free, for sure. This was a cut I took from a plant of my last grow that looked promising and I think is much better than the mom. I think she's at about 65 days and could go longer but I need the room, so she's coming down. I took some sample buds last week and dried for a few days, rolled up a fatty early yesterday morning and was fried til noon from just a few hits. I'm hoping it will calm down a little with some cure. Very potent for me and I smoke often.

Original Flo x (O haze x Skunk #1)

I grew some of Sam's freebies a few years back and got a male that had great structure and lots of color. Made F2s with that boy and crossed to a nice Flo mom I had at the time. This is from seed using that male.

That plants looks great Keif. :) Can't wait to hear about the smoke report after she cures up. :)

G

That plants looks great Keif. :) Can't wait to hear about the smoke report after she cures up. :)

Hey thanks 3rdEye, kinda old school stuff and I think a good cure will knock the edge off. Was a joy to grow, makes me want to work more with clones.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
good share, trichrider

and DAYUM kief that's a sexy colorful flo cross, what's the smell like?

I've cut the tents and hung them, have some pics on a shity camera i'll upload soon.

G

good share, trichrider

and DAYUM kief that's a sexy colorful flo cross, what's the smell like?

I've cut the tents and hung them, have some pics on a shity camera i'll upload soon.

Avi,

I've grown several of this same cross over the last few years and all have kept the 'Flo' smell that I experienced from the DP version that they called 'Original Flo'. It was DJ's work, but not necessarily his pheno selection as the story goes. All the Flo from that pack I bought in 2002 had a very strong Afghani smell and it carried over in the cross. This plant was no different and is a real stinker! The color is from the OHSK1 male and has shown in all plants from this cross, never saw any color like it from the orig flo girls. No males in that pack from DP. All the smell from this cross is from the flo side. I've grown several of Sam's OHSK1 and have not had anything but a kind of nice sandalwood smell. I think Sam selected his SK1 mainly because it didn't smell.

Glad to hear you've got some work hanging, be looking forward to some pics! I give my plants a couple of days of hang time in whatever humidity is available, 30-40%, then move to large paper bags for about a week. Found some huge brown bags at lowes that will enclose the entire plant. Just set it in there all in one piece and fold the top, open it a couple times a day, then on to the jars.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i hang to dry trim, then dry trim when buds are still gooey inside but crisp outside, THEN i go into the brown paper bags for a day or 2, THEN into turkeybags and/or 5gallon buckets

my flo and flo crosses were incredibly colorful upon maturity.... i figured yours got it from the flo, but i've never grown flo from seed.
very cool you got some of those DP DJ seeds, keif.