What's new

Round 2 with SSH

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
My point is just that I am of the opinion that you would be justified in calling what you do "breeding" given the loose definition of breeding that we all accept. From the sounds of it, you'll be doing 3x the actual breeding that many so-called breeders do.

V

vonforne

No problem Dig. It fills up with some good every day fun. It is what we used to do. Keep it up.

I grow all of my F1´s out and I give them to friends also and let them grow them out.

SWT 3 and ? coming soon to a room near you!

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Even if a person were only going for yield, taste and potency, there's no reliable way of knowing whether your P1s are actually going to pass those traits on to most, or any, of their offspring without actually making the F1s and growing them out, right?

yea basically i think it all depends on how dedicated you are. if your passionate about the breeding you will pick your P1 parents( very carefully), and do multiple selectively pollinated crops with plants that have traits you want( i.e female 1 x male 1, female 2 x male 2, female 1 x male 2, etc....) then grow out the following F1, make sure to let them mature and smoke them all, even if it doesn't look to great. meanwhile when your deciding you should have saved a mother and father of each selected P1 stock that was bred with. and after choosing which crosses passed on the desired traits you make some seed stock for the F1 generation. repeat as you would originally with each generation.

you could go even further to say growing the first F1 seeds out a few times to dial in the strain( we all know some strains are picky, and are not so great but when dialed in they shine there true potential)

only problem with that, is you need tons of plants. and tons of plants is risky as hell practically everywhere minus a few places on this earth.

It fills up with some good every day fun. It is what we used to do. Keep it up.

ahhh those were the days :)

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
And by the way jay, your post made too much sense... and made me realize that there are probably just a dozen people in the world who do that kind of breeding. I'm exhausted just imagining what a project like that would be like.

And really, one person would have to dedicate several years to a single project and become completely familiar with each P1.

Actually, now that I think it through a bit more, it's doable. :chin:

Looking fwd to the next update, Von!

V

vonforne

Ok Dig here is an update. I screwed my pictures from this week up. They all look like flashes of white.......duh. I took woodworking in place of photography in school. Even with a Digi I suck.

But I have some more from today.....I just have to re-size and up load. I was digging in my compost\EWC bin today......yes tons of worms have moved in on the leaves from last fall and are working their little magic. They have been there all winter. I also found a salamander (black) in the compost. Fun things in the grow thread.

The plants are doing great. We are seeing some Skunk\NL phenos now but the Haze side is dominant. Just by little. Seeds are developing good on the 2 females I pollinated.

I will get those pictures fixed up and be back in a little while.

V

V

vonforne

A few shots from this week........

NL\Skunk pheno´s

picture.php

picture.php

and the rest.......

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

this week was plain water. I have kept the soil moist on the top and scratch the surface to keep hings mixed up and active.

V

Ok Dig here is an update. I screwed my pictures from this week up. They all look like flashes of white.......duh. I took woodworking in place of photography in school. Even with a Digi I suck.

But I have some more from today.....I just have to re-size and up load. I was digging in my compost\EWC bin today......yes tons of worms have moved in on the leaves from last fall and are working their little magic. They have been there all winter. I also found a salamander (black) in the compost. Fun things in the grow thread.

The plants are doing great. We are seeing some Skunk\NL phenos now but the Haze side is dominant. Just by little. Seeds are developing good on the 2 females I pollinated.

I will get those pictures fixed up and be back in a little while.

V
when you say the haze side is dominant,what does that mean?..where do you get haze from northern lights and skunk?......reason i ask is i've got some nl females and gettin ready to put them in flower with some skunk..the seeds from that union i plan on breedin to some kind of haze and see what happens..

V

vonforne

SSH= NL-Skunk and Haze. Here is a description from Shanti.

A champion of champions since winning its hat-trick at the 1997, 1998, and 1999 High Times Cannabis Cups and comprising the most commercial strains known to the uncivilized world: Skunk, NL and Haze. Such achievements confer an undoubtedly regal pedigree.It's an excellent breed for those who wish to possess the stash of stashes and leaves one gasping for reality. Expect harvest in 8-10 weeks with top yields (450-550g/m2) and heavy resin production. In the northern hemisphere completion date would be expected by late October; in the southern hemisphere, late May/June.This complex hybrid is in the cutting edge in practical Haze hybrids, designed to astound the grower and consumer alike. Recommendation is unnecessary as most people can't see the Haze for their daze.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Very nice Von!! Its crazy how they've grown, you've got a nice jungle.

Trying to have a memory to remind you of Florida? The sun is nice and the Sat's are growing. About 30 plants popped up in my friends yard, had to kill most though.

V

vonforne

have you had experience with all the northern lights?..i see that several different seed companies have somethin called nl by various breeders..

ya there is a lot out there. I have grown- Positronics NL 2, Sensi seeds NL, An old NL 5 from ......I think Jorden of the Isles, one from Nirvana, one from Reeferman...NL 5 maybe and a hundred crosses with the NL.

LOL, they are all good man. Have fun growing them. I did.

V

V

vonforne

And thanks to all for stopping in for this update. I looked in on them this morning and my bulb had blew so it is off to get another one. Damn thing did not last a year.

Dig, I like the ratios also on a few of them. Should be some nice smoke for the head to stash back. The clones are doing good and are ready for transplant. After they start to look better I will post them up on down the line. The seeds are looking good also. I have seen some sacks start to crack. If I had a better camera I would take some shots of that.

Lisdexik My plants are easy to grow. Mix the soil, water and transplant is all I do. And make some teas but for the most part it is really easy the way I grow. These plants just really like the soil. There is little tip burn.

Capt.Cheeze1 Hey CC1, some of these are looking reeeeeeal thin. I always get inpatient about now wanting to smoke some. The next few weeks are the best for me and the plants of course. The finishing stretch.....it is what champions are made of. LOL

big ballin 88 The last outdoor crop I had in Florida the Fish and Game found them. They were there to cut Pepper trees out on the next lot. I had the plants near where I lived so I cut the indoor crop also just out of safety and sent it through my wood chipper. But years before that I had some great plants outdoor in Florida but now there is just too many people in SWFL to grow too much out side. And with all the grow houses busted.......and the new laws. Too much to risk outdoors right now. And where I live we have soooo much fog tat nothing would finish good outdoors here. Sorry you had to kill your plants. I know ho w you feel. :)

V

what kind of bulb do you use to expect it to last a year?...i had a 400 watt hps that only lasted 4 months of 12 on and 12 off..it didnt blow but i got another one and the difference really surprised me..reason i got another bulb was i noticed my nl buds were quite a bit smalller on my last grow...got one at lowes for $22..

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
"mix the soil, water and transplant."

Word.

Hey Von- this is tangential but, have you ever grown the NLX?

Latest posts

Latest posts