What's new

Round 2 with SSH

V

vonforne

Hey Gang, :wave:

I have another little grow on the go. This time I went from super Indicas to Super Sativas. We are running Mr Nice SSH f2´s. These came to me from a friend.......Thanks friend.

I started with 12 seeds. 100% germination on them but one was a super runt so I tossed it out. That leaves 11. I sprouted them February 5th.

Here is a shot of them @ 10 days old. The day they went into the flowering room.

picture.php

picture.php

these were grown in beer cups with peat, coco mixed 50\50 and then 2\3 d´s of the mix was fresh compost and EWC with a touch of lime. I used one ACT during the first 8 days from the seeds sprouting.

Here is a shot from a week later. I take pictures every Wednesday.

picture.php

picture.php

They were potted up just before these shots to a mix that consists of- peat, coco, horn meal, horn chips, N and P guanos, EWC, compost, Algen Kalk, 2 types of Dolomite lime, Alfalfa leaves ground into a meal, rock powders, glacial rock dust, kelp meal and I think that is all that was in the original mix.

This mix was cycled last year and was finished in October. I added to that mix when I was finished-Fresh EWC, Compost and mixed it in. I then top dressed with Alfalfa meal, PSG and watered in with compost tea. I let it sit until now. So it had 4 months off. I added compost tea every now and then and plain water as needed to keep it moist.

The plants really took off at this time and they looked a little pale after a few days so I topped them off with some PSG @ 1 TBS per plant and watered in. They are heavier eaters than my last round of SSH. I started to tie them up also @ this time.

picture.php

picture.php

I have some various sizes at that time and training them helped keep the even and easy to manage. I let them go from there for about 10 days and then transplanted this last Tuesday.

I have sexed them and have 3 males and 8 females. :jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

Here are some shots from today and that brings us up to date.

the 2 big males-

picture.php

and the girls......

picture.php

picture.php

and I have a couple of sow growers......one tall and thin now and the other shorter with wider leaves but both were runts, they had damage to one plants leaves at birth and the other is just a real sativa expression from the get go.

they are the ones up front in this shot-

picture.php

They have just about formed first flowers.........so here in a couple of days or more it will be the first day of flowering.......and the wait begins. :)

Until the next time gang......:headbange

V

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Looking very good Von! The plants look very happy, organics is treating them well...

You definitely sparked my interest. I was thinking about buying these seeds as my next pack if they make it back to the 'boo. Excited to see how this progresses! You gotta love the variation between the plants.

good luck bud!

DARC MIND

Veteran
very nice healthy green plants ther von
and very well put together thread
man i wish i wasnt broke, some mr. nice beans would be nice
great job

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
vonforne

While I mostly grow Indica-dominant strains for pain relief I also always have an African sativa as one of my 6-plant allotment allowed under my state's laws for MMJ growers and I grow this specific strain (circa 1983) to relieve psychic boredom as it were.

I've tried to explain how sativas are different from indica strains to my younger friends and the best deal I could come up was something like this - "Back in the 1960's and 1970's we wanted to get high. Today all you want to do is get stoned"

Eh - a generational deal perhaps?

CC

Lisdexik

Good choice Von

It's fun to watch quality sativas started small MMMMMMM

Can't wait to see these babies finish out. Mr Nice SSH always looks so good through the computer screen

Lisdexik

Tropic

Hi V-man, been a long time, hope all is fine by your side (looks so)! This time I'm not late for the show! Girls look beautiful and healthy, can't wait to see them take off!Was growing some Cheese x SSH outdoors until two weeks ago, got ripped when they started blooming.:cry:
Keep it green!
:joint:

V

vonforne

CC- Thanks for the props man.

BB88-
I was thinking about buying these seeds as my next pack if they make it back to the 'boo.
Send me a PM. :)

They are nice to but you must be patient with them but the end result is worth it IMO. For a Super Sative they are easy to handle. Can´t beat Shantis work. I have grown his stuff since the early 90´s.

Capt.Cheeze1 She is the one in the first picture...top middle. She was small there and grew slowwwwwwwww and skinny. I think I found the Super Haze pheno. I actually broke her stem the other day to try and get a branch or two to come out. But they are all sativas she is just more so.

DARC MIND
mr. nice beans would be nice
you need to try some before long then. :)

Thanks for the props man. I left out some detail for later posting......I got tired of typing. LOL My two fingers were sore.

HighonPottery They would have been unmanageable in another week in veg. That is why you flower them from seed or close to sprouting if you are limited on space. Like me with one 600 watter and 8 females.

8 females is pushing the limits of my space with these girls. And they will continue to stretch for another 2 or 3 weeks.

cosmiccowboy They turned out super! The yield is medium on some and low on others but cannot beat the smoke for sure. Nothing tastes like Shanti haze!!

Clackamas Coot CC I started smoking in 1975. I know what yo mean. HIGH. I grow mostly indica strains also but every now and then I throw in a good sativa. I want a good pure Mexican sativa to grow for my wife.

Eh - a generational deal perhaps?
alot do not know the difference. If they grow their own maybe. But those days are gone CC just like our youth is. We can recreate it but it will never be the same as some good old sun dried Mexican or Colombian Sativa!

rasputin Thanks for the props bro......stick around. We are just getting started.

Lisdexik Thanks for the props man. Ya I have been telling my wife that we are going to do these. Gotta love the results from seed with these!!

The story behind this strain, is long ago I was growing NL 5 X Haze........I met this woman on the beach in Florida. She came to stay at my house for a while. I had NL 1, SK1, Super Skunk and a bunch of Afghans. She picked the NL 5 X Haze..........and she has never left. So, this grow you could say is just for my best friend. These buds are for you girl.:friends:

V

mad librettist

Veteran
alot do not know the difference. If they grow their own maybe. But those days are gone CC just like our youth is. We can recreate it but it will never be the same as some good old sun dried Mexican or Colombian Sativa!

actually a lot of us youngsters also grew up on sativa. I could never figure out why the premium (indica) weed made me so sleepy, but it was the only stuff that didn't come in a brick.

So lots of kids from my generation started sativa, with all the crazy ideas and running around and giggling and semi-tripping. We just smoked massive amounts to get there.

also, I'm betting most people in 1975 were clueless, because nothing ever changes.

nice plants von!

V

vonforne

Tropic Hey Tropic you are never late. Besides I just started the tread yesterday. Pull up a chair we have about 13 weeks or so to go.

mad librettist Thanks for coming by. BTW I a still clueless. LOL

V

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
I smoked my share of Sativa's growing up. Maybe as we get older we subconsciously know those Sativa's are far more valuable to have around than Indica at this later age? Me and my brothers wanted that Indica stupified oblivion when we were kids,but now my brain is just screaming,"SATIVA"!!!!! I'll be watching Von.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
I'm sorry but where i'm from were blessed with many sativas! You come to need something that reaches your body more though or the high becomes to clear. I also think it depends on where the buds coming from. You guys say the days are over, but in reality you may be too far away to realize. Its nice hanging in zone 10 not to mention shipping ports on both coasts which equals Colombian, Mexican and Jamaican. Sorry for being off track i just think people should be aware that most of the better imported bud stays where its imported to. I love the fluffy green Jamaican buds, very trippy i describe it as twitchy lol.

I look forward to seeing some nice pheno's grown out here it seems like there is subtle variation among some of the plants. I bet you'll have some nice-skyrocketing pheno's in the end..

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
vonforne

You're a youngster! LOL

I first smoked 'pot' in 1967 during a trip to San Francisco during the 'Summer of Love' - mostly brick product out of Mexico.

By late 1970's there were small batches of 'da kind' product out of Mexico. It wasn't pressed at all and had some of the best taste I have ever smoked.

Some of the names were Guadalajara Seed Pod, Michoacan Lime Green (from the Southwest Coast of Mexico), Oaxaca Violet (yep - a true purple/violet sativa without introducing cold air), et al.

Because these products were loose and not pressed, the availability was pretty limited. Some of the people who were bringing in tons of 'Columbian' (much of the Columbian by 1979 was actually being grown in Argentina) would buy up lbs. for personal.

I would gladly trade a pound of any Indica or Indica-dominant strain for a pound of Mexican sativa if it were still being grown using the old methods from 35+ years ago.

BTW - the Mexican cartel growers have been buying 'Dutch' genetics for at least 20 years. Meaning that while the actual product from a Mexican bricks may (and may not) contain some good genetics. I'm not suggesting that anyone head out the door to buy a bag of schwag but it's not accurate to say that the genetics behind some of the brick product is worthless.

Peace

CC

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
vonforne

You're a youngster! LOL

I first smoked 'pot' in 1967 during a trip to San Francisco during the 'Summer of Love' - mostly brick product out of Mexico.

By late 1970's there were small batches of 'da kind' product out of Mexico. It wasn't pressed at all and had some of the best taste I have ever smoked.

Some of the names were Guadalajara Seed Pod, Michoacan Lime Green (from the Southwest Coast of Mexico), Oaxaca Violet (yep - a true purple/violet sativa without introducing cold air), et al.

Because these products were loose and not pressed, the availability was pretty limited. Some of the people who were bringing in tons of 'Columbian' (much of the Columbian by 1979 was actually being grown in Argentina) would buy up lbs. for personal.

I would gladly trade a pound of any Indica or Indica-dominant strain for a pound of Mexican sativa if it were still being grown using the old methods from 35+ years ago.

BTW - the Mexican cartel growers have been buying 'Dutch' genetics for at least 20 years. Meaning that while the actual product from a Mexican bricks may (and may not) contain some good genetics. I'm not suggesting that anyone head out the door to buy a bag of schwag but it's not accurate to say that the genetics behind some of the brick product is worthless.

Peace

CC

The reason i bolded those series of words is because thats exactly how the Jamaican bud is, which is my favorite. I don't know why but everytime i smell the bud being burnt it makes me feel like i'm back in A'dam. It definetly the best smoke around for about $100-120 an O. I'm gonna get some seeds very soon for some friends, just need to get an oz first lol. Its very light on the seeds though which is great since its flufft bud you really get what you pay for.
. The Colombian is usually a nice tannish green/light green color sometime you a get a red/brown. Usually more packed together seedy and stemmy but still way better than Mexi which i try to avoid.

V

vonforne

Hey Capt I was smoking Sativas and did not know it. I was lucky......I got to live in Hawaii fr 4 years. They have some great ones.

CC-

That was my point. The OLD methods of growth AND CURING I do not think that ML understood that part.

BTW I am trying to get some Mexican Landrace Sativa from a Med site I am at.

BB88- I can tell you some great stories of growing Sativas outside in Florida. I lived in and around Fort Myers so we were pretty south and just about anything would grow there.

V