What's new

Best light and environment for seedlings

EastCoastGambit

I've been growing for years but I think I still struggle a little with seedling growth phase. Seems like my plants just grow so slowly until they hit a certain point and/or are transplanted.

I have a dimmable LED going right now on like 50% and like 4' away and my seedlings are weeks old and barely have their 2nd leaf set. I was wondering if florescent light should be used instead, or maybe my older generation burple cobb LED.

I tried adding humidity and more heat but they are just stunted I think. I have air exchange and a small fan.

Germinated in soil which is basically seed starter mix with a little worm compost mixed in.

cola

I've been growing for years but I think I still struggle a little with seedling growth phase. Seems like my plants just grow so slowly until they hit a certain point and/or are transplanted.

I have a dimmable LED going right now on like 50% and like 4' away and my seedlings are weeks old and barely have their 2nd leaf set. I was wondering if florescent light should be used instead, or maybe my older generation burple cobb LED.

I tried adding humidity and more heat but they are just stunted I think. I have air exchange and a small fan.

Germinated in soil which is basically seed starter mix with a little worm compost mixed in.

Use fluorescent tubes, in a series of two or four per fixture. You can put them close together with chains.
Grolux tubes work fine too. Keep em as close to 80 degrees as possible. And that includes the roots too.
You can put the lights as close as need be also. Use the back of your hand as a guide regarding heat. GL

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I only use "four bulb" 4' fluorescents because they are the best for sprouting and small seedlings.. I have tried different lamps with minimum results. In the Winter I can tape foil on the sides to hold in the heat. In Summer they run cooler compared to other fixtures.

Ca++

If you have some free beans, or a cheap hemp seed supply, you could run a compost trial.
I think you might be better with a final compost, not a starter or potting. Not one with slow release 'feed for 6 weeks' type stuff though.
Avoiding poorly mixed in chemicals, our plants like food. Most seedling stuff is a nice consistency, but low in food. So delicate things can be started in it. We just don't have delicate plants that need a slow careful start though.

General guidelines for seed compost, are to feed once you are growing leaves. Perhaps you are not.

I'm about to do some cuts in seed compost. I have been putting it off tbh, for about a month. I have made up a 30% strength feed, but found no decent advice tbh. Some of us root in glasses of plain water, and some over 50% strength. It's a range of opinion that of little use when you want a straight answer. Best bet, try it yourself. See what works in your environment. Kill a few... it's all good knowledge.

EastCoastGambit

trying not to, over water. I think I agree it's a lack of nutes in the seed mix combined with the wrong light. Don't want to stall out of the gate which is essentially what is happening.

EastCoastGambit

Any thoughts on what is a good foliar spray to try and help? I was thinking a mix of water cloneX and liquid kelp might be good.

Airloom

Veteran
IMG_4222.jpeg

I’ve gone back to screened Coast of Maine Sprout Island blend topped with 🙀 Jiffy Natural Organic seed starter blend

I soak the beans in tap water mixed with a drop of bleach and a drop of Hormex and a few drops H2O2. Just enough water to float them in those small clear condiment containers.

Temperature is really critical until they leave the media. I only water the top 3/4” of each cup with a spray bottle
Quillaja
Kelp water
Maybe some Dr Zymes for good luck

Once they break the shell or have a 1/4” tail I put them into the jiffy with tweezers point down and use a bamboo skewer to manipulate the soil so I don’t touch the root. If I’m patient, I get them just below the surface and barely cover them. Then I use my fingertip to compress the perimeter of the cup firmly to make my moat for any watering I do once they’re above ground. I use a food/nursing home hypo with 2-5 ml of kelp water at a time. Tedious as hell but if they’re warm, they’ll grow into that Sprout Island blend and take off. Stole that moat concept somewhere which really helps prevent damp off.

All the suggestions about lighting and temperature here are spot on. I’ve got mine under my 4x4 led just cause it was handy and I got a little carried away soaking seeds. It’s the most nerve wracking part and once it’s going it surely is a relief. It’s actually worse than pest or nutrient issues until they pop up. It’s an itty bitty miracle.

Attachments

• IMG_4217.jpeg
    IMG_4217.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 8

EastCoastGambit

I dont believe have ever transferred sprouts but I can see the advantage to that tech if you are delicate. I'm going to try that next run. For now I got to get these ones recovered as they are the outdoor strain I special ordered to start for a friend.

Need some vegetative growth before I can start to harden off for an June-ish start to outdoor life.

Last edited: