What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rooting in plain water.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
In horticulture taking cutting from ornamental plants, timing is very important. The plant cutting is only taken when the plant has a lot of vigor in early Spring. If you take a cutting from a plant that is lacking auxin it will lag behind or not root. Taking a cutting using the correct timing and having the right amount of vigor will ensure an additional amount of auxin and will give more success.

What is auxin and its function?
Auxins are a group of naturally occurring and artificially synthesised plant hormones. They play an important role in the regulation of plant growth. Auxin means to “enlarge” or “increase”. They induce cell division, differentiation, and elongation.

How does auxin promote growth?
Auxin is plant hormone that is synthesized at the tip of the shoot. It helps the cell grow longer. When a tendril comes in contact with a support, auxin stimulates faster growth of the cells on the opposite side that's why the tendril forms a coil around the support.

Do auxins help to initiate rooting in stem cuttings?
All these auxins have been used extensively in agricultural and horticultural practices. They help to initiate rooting in stem cuttings, an application widely used for plant propagation in plants like Bougainvillea and Rose which are propagated vegetatively through stem cutting.
Google

X15

thanks for the help, and maybe someday I'll see some roots
but that day is not today, 5 weeks and those cuttings just sit there, nada
I have heard tell of some plants that are very hard to clone
me thinks this is the case, and it's a bubblegum pheno
life really isn't fair
You are very much correct in regards to some plants not rooting as well as others.
In my experiences I’ve found that plants that have a tendency to throw more lateral branches with out topping have a harder time or take longer to root. In comparison, plants that grow with a more singular/vertical apical stem growth seem to have a stronger ability to root.
I’m not sure if this is due to a relationship between hormones & nutrients and their concentrations within the middle most tissue of the plant, meristem.
OR IT COULD BE A RESULT OF MY PRACTICES AND FEEDING ROUTINES…. So a result of plant health… I say this because I often feed all my plants a similar diet and it’s known that cultivars that express a lot more lateral side branching need more calcium (among other goodies) than those that don’t express that bushier lateral growth. So it could be a result of me not offering the plant enough of what it needs at time of clone cutting, resulting in a slower root development compared to those cultivars that have less branching and are well nourished.

Just my experiences tho.

phunkeeboodah

thanks for the help, and maybe someday I'll see some roots
but that day is not today, 5 weeks and those cuttings just sit there, nada
I have heard tell of some plants that are very hard to clone
me thinks this is the case, and it's a bubblegum pheno
life really isn't fair

this has happened to me also, at 5 weeks or more it might be too late

of the phenos in my current seed run i hope the keeper is the easy rooter(!)

igrowone

Veteran
thanks for the support, I'm hanging in there, resigned that the current cuts are toast though they still live
my revegged plant has plenty of fresh sprouts
what I have is sprout stems that turn purple very quick, not much green except for the top inch
so a small one has been cut, very soft green it was
this is going to be a challenge me thinks

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I am trying to clone now in just water. If it works great. I was trimming up the lower branches for better circulation.

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
I’m be been rooting in water for a while. A great way to go and friendly on the budget.

I have a question though: who here adds ‘something’ to the water? Anyone experimented with adding an additive of some kind? Did you have more success?

Sorry if this has already been gone through

mr.brunch

Veteran
I’m thinking maybe some strains root in water better than others.
The ones I had good success with in the past that I recall (hundreds of clones rooted just in glasses of water) were greenhouse seeds white rhino and big bang, hgf cheese, positronics jack diesel.
Last year I struck out on multiple strains, but my rose cuttings did fine 🤷🏻‍♂️

Legalcdn

I find some cutting in water need a spray of diluted cal-mag on leaves to start the roots while other strains just need water. Stubborn cuts get the spray and humidity dome.

OleReynard

The flowering cutting I’m trying to root in plain water has been under 24hr light for 2 wks, hoping it can reveg and make roots. The cutting is proceeding with finishing flower just like it’s mom despite the lighting - leaves turning yellow and pistils turning brown - as if it was still on the plant. When I cut it off it was white pistils and green fan leaves. I’m convinced it has whatever hormones that the mom has that are telling it to finish flowering. You would think 24hr light for 2wks would have told it to reveg, but these processes seem to be already in its blood. Wish I could be the guy who brags about rooting flowering cuttings but doesn’t seem to be in the cards without crazy root vigor. At least that’s my best explanation for why I haven’t had success with this method
If you took them plants to yellow before chopping, no they won't take.
You've totally depleted any ferts that were in the soil.
Most times to reveg you need to premature cut

SubGirl

420club
This is the piece I was talking about. My kitchen plant…
IMG_2575.jpeg
IMG_2576.jpeg

SubGirl

420club
I I'm just looking for a simpler way, its not like I don't have the time for root blocks, heat and light.
I got really good at it and was doing 20 at a time with 100% success but that's was a long time ago.

Thanks Subie
If I’d have been trying to make roots I’m sure I wouldn’t have 🤣 This was just a top that I let stay in that little glass as a decoration in my kitchen. They will last forever with just plain sink water…

Kalbhairav

~~ ॐ नमः शिवाय ~~
Veteran
Does anyone use a bubbler, like you would in an aquarium? Through a little research this might lead to more success. Like with soil, rockwool and other mediums, air is quite a big part of the equation. Also means you don’t need to change the water so much