What's new

Rooting in plain water.

woolybear

Veteran
Same as audio - do it all the time, as my cuts in water are usually my back-up plan, or home for cuts.

Last round of cuts off my black widow x wedding cake rooted in record time, with nice thick roots. These were off a plant in flower, wonder if that made a difference?

CrushnYuba

0427221348.jpg

I found this yesterday. It was an accident. Took them and left them in water. Forgot about them. Never made the final 45 degree cut. Just snipped straight with scissors. No idea how long they sat there other then too long, most of the water in that cup evaporated. There was most likely a little bleach in the water(my usual).
I should mention that Bruce banner is one of my slower cloning strains. These were also the rejects and that's why they never got plugged with the rest.

I'll probably toss them because i see some pm. But 3 of 3 forgot about cuts rooted by accident

Swamp Thang

Veteran
View attachment 18128035
I found this yesterday. It was an accident. Took them and left them in water. Forgot about them. Never made the final 45 degree cut. Just snipped straight with scissors. No idea how long they sat there other then too long, most of the water in that cup evaporated. There was most likely a little bleach in the water(my usual).
I should mention that Bruce banner is one of my slower cloning strains. These were also the rejects and that's why they never got plugged with the rest.

I'll probably toss them because i see some pm. But 3 of 3 forgot about cuts rooted by accident

3 out of 3 rooting with zero fuss is testimony to the effectiveness of this simple cloning method. We stoners are naturally inclined to invent highly complex apparatus and procedures, but this is one instance where simpler is waaaaay better.

CrushnYuba

3 out of 3 rooting with zero fuss is testimony to the effectiveness of this simple cloning method. We stoners are naturally inclined to invent highly complex apparatus and procedures, but this is one instance where simpler is waaaaay better.
Yeaaa.. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's a good idea. Although you are correct that these mcguyver stoners over complicate everything and reinvent the wheel. But i personally threw those cuts out. They had long roots but they were only in a few spots on the stem. Pretty sparce. I don't like burying stem that doesn't have roots. It's a recipe for stem rot. Taking so long to root is a problem. The longer they take, the less healthy they are. Usually they are harder to harden off and get used to bright light. And how would you schedule it for your grow? Just always have cuts in water hoping for roots?
I will say that i have forgot about cuts i left in a cup with KLN liquid hormone and they had nubs and roots EVERYWHERE. The whole stem was rooted like a medium or machine. It was just slower.

X15

That’s how my Mom did it for years. It does take some time in relation to other methods But it can be done and have great success.. IME the biggest tip I’ve gotten and can pass on is to say, Pay attention to the mothers health and limb selection bc you want Active Vigor. Respect the mothers health and she will respect You.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Hmm, after a very promising start to my minimalist plain water clone rooting concept, I am now seeing a paltry 20% success rate, meaning that only one out of five clone cuttings placed in cups of plain water under partial shade are sprouting roots that are vigorous and substantial enough for a viable transplant into cups of worm castings.

Nothing goes to waste though, as I simply cut up any clones that succumb to mushy root syndrome, before drying and powdering those leaves as vaporizer fodder to hold me over until harvest time arrives later in the year. Vaping shake is not as depressing as it sounds, and I've been pleasantly surprised at the buzz I have been able to achieve by vaping this comparatively low THC part of the plant.

Because outlaw-grown weed sold in this neck of the woods is now increasingly contaminated with any number of insidious chemicals and pesticides, vaping my own shake from Malawi, Zamaldelica and Golden Tiger mother plants is a nice safe way to get moderately high as my cloning experiments continue.

xet

+1 for water

I add a pinch of pink salt for the minerals.

5 days in water.

This is where they can enjoy being topped up with fresh rainwater.

After 5 days predrench your new soil container filled 3/4 full with soil.

Do this a couple days ahead of time if you wish to get the fungals up and running.

Drench again right before planting.

Happy frog soil + excellent drainage.

Plant clone in soil.

Cover remaining 1/4 of container over your soil with mostly composted woodchips.

Preferably with a nice white fungus currently breaking them down.

This will greatly increase the length of time your soil stays damp while still allowing the soil to breathe and make an ideal environment for the fungus and emerging roots.

Happy plant (y)

Swamp Thang

Veteran
I use plain tap water, my results are 100%. I have been using this method for about 5 years now.

I raise a toke to the less is more school of thought. Plain tap water producing 100% results is amazing. I average 20% using the same method, yet still managed to create enough robust clones for my modest outdoor stealth grow down at the swamp this season.

mr.brunch

Veteran
This was my preferred method when I used to clone all the time.
I’d take the cuts from the bottom of the plant just before flipping- the slower rooting time meant that by the time I’d potted them up and they were established, the mothers would be around 5 weeks into flower… 3 or 4 weeks veg and the flowering plants would be harvested with the clones ready to replace them
Then I’d take more clones from these.

igrowone

Veteran
I have used this method with great success in the past
but now I have cuttings that stubbornly just sit there in the water
not rotting, not dying, just some yellow on bottom leaf node from the low light
since February 1st, not a trace of root
I see the OP did have cuttings were good after 2 months but they had roots damnit!
maybe I'm approaching a record at this point

mr.brunch

Veteran
I have used this method with great success in the past
but now I have cuttings that stubbornly just sit there in the water
not rotting, not dying, just some yellow on bottom leaf node from the low light
since February 1st, not a trace of root
I see the OP did have cuttings were good after 2 months but they had roots damnit!
maybe I'm approaching a record at this point
Me too!
I used to make hundreds this way but last year I struggled….

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you're getting mush or slime on the roots you need to bleach harder; scrub your setup and leave the whole system in a strong bleach mix for a few hours. I can normally get 2 runs of clones in a row before it needs cleaning again.

Too much light is another killer, those old floro strip lights 18w work best, anything more you will see a lot of yellow. Too cold water is also a big one.

phunkeeboodah

when going from water to soil use a dome or ziploc for those first few days or the clone might wilt. if you do this step you can plant when the first nubs appear and the clone should be rooted in the soil within a few days

and by nubs i mean the crystal white almost luminescent nubs not anything off white

i agree about light that it has to be at a moderate level, not too bright not too dark, especially during the step when transferring to soil

and change the water every few days

and reiterating the mother plant needs to be healthy and only the healthiest branches taken

follow these rules you'll have mad meds to break up (biggie)

phunkeeboodah

also should add do not use rooting gel or powder when water cloning and also do not worry about shading the stem/roots from light if anything it might help

igrowone

Veteran
thanks for the help, and maybe someday I'll see some roots
but that day is not today, 5 weeks and those cuttings just sit there, nada
I have heard tell of some plants that are very hard to clone
me thinks this is the case, and it's a bubblegum pheno
life really isn't fair