What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Roof top grow

Northendgrower

They're getting bushy

Attachments

• 20200520_155906.jpg
    20200520_155906.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 24

dirty-joe

This is a great idea, maximum sun, no slugs, or rabbits. Down side, a lot of watering trips, especially with those big pots, and your shingles will take a beating...I'd recommend an extra layer of rubber where you will be walking a lot.

I did it last year on a low sloped roof, I don't think the heat is not going to be a problem especially with those big pots.

My pots were much smaller as I only grew a 90 day strain.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpg
    IMG_2481.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 22

Swamp Thang

Veteran
They're getting bushy

Wow this is an ingenious setup. I had been thinking of doing a rooftop grow of this sort, but seeing the carpentry entailed in creating that deck, I know I'd better not even start such an elaborate project.

I have to ask one engineering question though, concerning the sheer weight of those huge planters. Are you reasonably confident that the planks making up your roof structure can bear all that extra weight ?

Maybe there are additional weight bearing provisions you made for this setup, that are not evident in this picture, but just looking at it, I cannot be sure from here.

Anyway, this is a great example of thinking outside the box, and I look forward to seeing those buds begin to form.

Northendgrower

Wow this is an ingenious setup. I had been thinking of doing a rooftop grow of this sort, but seeing the carpentry entailed in creating that deck, I know I'd better not even start such an elaborate project.

I have to ask one engineering question though, concerning the sheer weight of those huge planters. Are you reasonably confident that the planks making up your roof structure can bear all that extra weight ?

Maybe there are additional weight bearing provisions you made for this setup, that are not evident in this picture, but just looking at it, I cannot be sure from here.

Anyway, this is a great example of thinking outside the box, and I look forward to seeing those buds begin to form.

I'm glad you like it I did give it a lot of thought. The weight is evenly spread across with the use of 2×4s so as not to go through my roof

My stoned ass...

My stoned ass...

I'm glad you like it I did give it a lot of thought. The weight is evenly spread across with the use of 2×4s so as not to go through my roof

...would've forgot to drill at least 2 holes on the bottom of each can.

Looks like your going to need a hedge trimmer soon!

:tiphat:

Northendgrower

7 weeks veg

Attachments

• 20200605_085232.jpg
    20200605_085232.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200606_131121.jpg
    20200606_131121.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200606_131144.jpg
    20200606_131144.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 25

kritios

Hoo-ee, that's a lot of bud sites! Looks fantastic.

Be safe on that roof. How are you getting water up there?

Northendgrower

Hoo-ee, that's a lot of bud sites! Looks fantastic.

Be safe on that roof. How are you getting water up there?

I just go up with a garden hose, the rain helps but when it's been dry for a while I make more trips I drilled some holes along the bottom side of the bins to stick my moisture gauge in so i have a good idea of what's happening

Northendgrower

Defoliate?

Defoliate?

Was thinking about removing some of the lower leaves what do you all think yes or no? Any advice from experienced growers?

Attachments

• 20200607_085848.jpg
    20200607_085848.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200607_085854.jpg
    20200607_085854.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 24

DoloDankness

I’m not to experienced with the outdoor game, indoors I have a few harvests under my belt. I removed a good amount of fan leaves and lowers that won’t really produce. If you want to clean em up you can, it’ll improve air flow up there. Just let em go for two or three weeks afterwards. They will grow back with many more leaves to replace the ones you removed!

TPFTFW

Veteran
Was thinking about removing some of the lower leaves what do you all think yes or no? Any advice from experienced growers?

Might as well my dude, you don’t have to do it as heavily as indoors but more airflow can’t hurt

Generally if something isn’t receiving much light I remove it, or remove a leaf above it to give it light.. which ever one makes more sense to you.. it’s an art and a science lol

ilSognatore

SOGNARE NON COSTA NULLA
interesting your solution :yes:
are you not afraid that when plants grow, they will break your roof?
I will follow you to see the progress
good luck :)

T

TakenByTheSky

Those plants are going to be giantic by the end of summer especially in that size container, you may find they're too close together. Hopefully you aren't in a place that gets too bad of summer storms. Once water logged you'll never be able to move those things off the roof is a bad storm comes your way.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very nice job. The height would scare the shit out of me. Truly admire your ambition, bro. Those girls look happy, and there's plenty of bud sites. As those girls get taller, my question would be how to hold up those large colas as they get heavier, plus how you gonna handle a brisk wind once those girls get up to some height because those branches will need support. Gonna be watching this one. May the force be with you. Good luck, Northendgrower.

Northendgrower

Very nice job. The height would scare the shit out of me. Truly admire your ambition, bro. Those girls look happy, and there's plenty of bud sites. As those girls get taller, my question would be how to hold up those large colas as they get heavier, plus how you gonna handle a brisk wind once those girls get up to some height because those branches will need support. Gonna be watching this one. May the force be with you. Good luck, Northendgrower.

I plan on doing a scrog or just use trellises I'll see how it plays out

Latest posts

Latest posts