What's new

Romulan these days ... any good?

Chillb

Looking for fresh input about this Canadian classic. Back in the day I had some of this from the Federation Seed Company, I believe this is only available through Next Generation now?

Does anyone have experience with the next gen version and how does it hold up to the federation version? Any photos, reports, etc are welcomed.

KTF19XX

I'm pretty sure when federation broke up one half then went on to form next generation so I'm pretty sure its the same.

The next gen version was nothing special. They didn't have the strength or pungency of the romulan i used to see on the island and the plants were slow and lacking vigor.

The romulan diesel I've tried was way better although nothing like romulan . Whatever they sell as timewarp was also good

I remember reading on the green life site that next generation had ,that their romulan was inbred or back crossed to like f11 generation . That might sound good to noobs but resulted in some super slow and weak inbred plants.

Karmic Farmer

Veteran
LOL ibl. Sounds like another hermie hack. Peace GS

Not in this case, it's been worked for over 20 generations from Romulan Joe's original stock by Classic into the pheno he prefers. Reservation Labs has worked this particular line himself for personal use and knows it very well.

Peace,
KF

checked out the CLS seeds section to try to find some pics of his 20 year old romulan line and read on the second page that his romulan is the romulan from federation crossed to romulan max from next generation seeds.

still sounds interesting to me though. have you grown it?

Sir_Syzurp

Modern day Romulan sucks... unless you know someone who kept ahold of a good cut of Federations Romulan, you will NOT find a Romulan that can compare to its original form. I have personally tried Next Gens and out of 2 packs I couldn't find anything that resembled a keeper, let alone what I remember Romulan being 10 years ago. Romulan, Chemo, and Mikado, all strains whos true forms I think are lost now forever.

Bud_Man10

Veteran
remember reading vic high say that the romulan federation and next gen used as breeding base was from romulan x white widow F2s

Hey barefootseeds
I believe Federations and Next Gens are Romulan x White Rhino backcrossed to the original Romulan clone. Marc Emery used to peddle a Romulan x White Widow cross, origins of which I'm not quite sure about.

Peace
BM

One thing is for certain, the original pure Romulan has much more sativa than a simple Kush/Afghani. Much more aroma as well, it's pungent pine bud aroma is what makes it stand out as something unique. The original mother clones have been around for about 20 years.

Another term that keeps popping up when describing Romulan is the old California blue indicas. I met with Romulan Joe a little while back and discussed Romulan's heritage, I think I recall him mentioning some Mexican sativas but don't quote me on it, I wasn't taking notes, haha. Vic High

"It has been one of Vancouver Island's best kept secrets for a few years. Up till about 18 months ago, Romulan Joe from the island was all Vancouver knew of Romulan. Then I showed about 18 months ago at HBC with some bud and photos looking for advice about good genetics to cross it with. Boy did I create a commotion. I was offered some serious dollars for a clone. I said no but that I would be happy to work something out with some seeds.

For you breeders, take note that 18 months ago, Vancouver breeders did not have access to Romulan genetics. At that time both the Romulan that Joe was bringing to Vancouver and my Romulan was the same bud. About six months ago I returned and Vancouver's Romulan was now more potent than mine but had lost some of its flavor.

I also noticed that emery was now selling Romulan/white widow F2 hybrids. Emery's employees told me that they got hold of some Romulan/white widow hybrids from Romulan Joe and that was their Romulan base.
I was also told that they were the source of Steve's Romulan. Steve is saying otherwise.

When I grow out the Romulan/strawberry blonde I'll know the truth. Pure Romulan is a very stable plant that produces very uniform F1 hybrids. If Steve's hybrids are uniform, then we'll know that he used pure Romulan and not the Romulan/white widow that Emery used.

I'll also know if Steve ever decides to publish a photo of a Romulan plant and bud close-up. Buds pictured in Cannabis Culture and High Times are small for Romulan and are more than likely Romulan/white widow crosses. My Romulan gets bigger buds with less light intensity.

I'm only posting this to clear up some of the confusion. Emery's Romulan white widow produces some killer bud. Steve's Strawberry blonde is very good and whether crossed with Romulan or Romulan/white widow, it should produce very pleasing results.

A third source for Romulan genetics will be Heaven's Stairway who will be offering Romulan/blueberry (Romberry) F1 hybrid seeds.

BTW: The only reason I feel confident that I am lucky enough to have pure Romulan is because of it's stable genetics and how long it's been in the area. Emery, Shaun, and the others down at HempBC only confirmed it.

Vic High

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
the grape romulan clone is what my mentor used to call "the satva" when we were working with her....

shes pretty good in crosses thus far that my friend zoolander has made
not a 'true' romulan as she is a cross with a purple indica from norcal, but shes as legit a romulan plant as you will find. from what i can tell from running into other "romulans".

food for thought... look for the grape romulan crosses....

Latest posts

Latest posts