What's new

Rolling in for some fun.

steamroller

First thanks to all for having me!
New here but not to growing.
Got no grow going now cause I am a phat slacker that grows double digits at a time.
Will be starting a new to me RDWC set up I have modified a little/created with a side by side soil grow in the remainder of my space [5x20].
Big thanks to Moe for helping me out here and looking forward to making new buds to learn from and with along with the group that I migrated here with!
:groupwave:

steamroller

Thanks for all the welcomes.
It will be a while before I start next grow so here is a few pics of previous to view while I find my way around and read what you guys got going.
1678998012987.jpeg

1678998103501.jpeg

Just got home from work so I'll roll one up and smoke and peruse the forum!
1678998217117.jpeg

1678998247631.jpeg

1678998268803.jpeg

Thanks again all looking forward to being here.:smoke out:

SweetLeafGrow

Always love seeing your plants SR! Killer stuff bro :canabis:

Hey, I am sure you have done this so I wanted to ask you a question-

Do you have any tips for changing out a pump in a live system without getting water everywhere? I have fairly soft tubing so I'm thinking some way to squeeze the tubing tight enough to get in and change out the pump. I have a pair of vice grips with a wide jaw that would work for one side but I need ideas for the other side of the pump.

Obviously I need to restrict water on both sides of the pump for a minute or two while I get the old one out and the new one in. I don't really want to drain everything out to do that. I think when I have it empty after this grow, I am going to get parts to put a couple of shut off valves and a drain T that I can hook up when I want to drain the system and then flip the ball valve in that direction. This bigger system brings it's challenges that I had not anticipated.

steamroller

Always love seeing your plants SR! Killer stuff bro :canabis:

Hey, I am sure you have done this so I wanted to ask you a question-

Do you have any tips for changing out a pump in a live system without getting water everywhere? I have fairly soft tubing so I'm thinking some way to squeeze the tubing tight enough to get in and change out the pump. I have a pair of vice grips with a wide jaw that would work for one side but I need ideas for the other side of the pump.

Obviously I need to restrict water on both sides of the pump for a minute or two while I get the old one out and the new one in. I don't really want to drain everything out to do that. I think when I have it empty after this grow, I am going to get parts to put a couple of shut off valves and a drain T that I can hook up when I want to drain the system and then flip the ball valve in that direction. This bigger system brings it's challenges that I had not anticipated.
I am missing something here?
Can you not just shut pump off and raise it out of sump?
It should only be pushing through the feed tubes and without power no issues?

SweetLeafGrow

I am missing something here?
Can you not just shut pump off and raise it out of sump?
It should only be pushing through the feed tubes and without power no issues?
By raise it up out of the sump, do you mean get it above the water level? I am sure that would work but the logistics are not going to allow it. There is a line coming out of the res going straight to the pump on the supply side and that line is only about 10" or so. Then the output line goes through the tent to feed the plant sites.

I took a photo so you could see what I am looking at. Thanks bro!

IMG_2355.JPG

SweetLeafGrow

Here is the beef noodle replacement!

Hoping I got all the right parts, I am an amateur plumber at best, lol.

I got some pvc cement to glue the pvc to the pump connectors and then the fittings, then the barbed connectors and a bit of Teflon tape, then to the tubing and I think I am good to go!

IMG_2356.JPG

steamroller

I had no idea you were inline.
I just assumed the pump was in the res. :underwater:
Can you place the new pump in the res?
That would make your life easier. Otherwise I think if you shut it off you only to clamp the res side and deal with the little bit in the pump and line. Nothing a towel can't handle.
The DC pumps do not transfer heat since the power switcher is separated.

SweetLeafGrow

I had no idea you were inline.
I just assumed the pump was in the res. :underwater:
Can you place the new pump in the res?
That would make your life easier. Otherwise I think if you shut it off you only to clamp the res side and deal with the little bit in the pump and line. Nothing a towel can't handle.
The DC pumps do not transfer heat since the power switcher is separated.
Yea, I have ran submersible but I don't like the clutter and I can't shut the lid so I went inline when I built this system for both the fallponics and the chiller pump. The original system from PAH has the inline pump for the fallponics and I like that. I installed additional bulkheads in these systems for the chiller lines and I can shut the lid now, a lot cleaner look too.

I wondered about just clamping off that line out of the res and not worrying about the output line, thanks for confirming that for me, I will just do that and have a towel handy.

I did not know about the heat transfer thing. I'm going to have to look at replacing all my fallponic pumps now as time and money permit. I've got one system running sterile without a chiller right now and res temps are hitting 80F+ and I think much of that is coming from the pump.

Moe.Red

Yea, I have ran submersible but I don't like the clutter and I can't shut the lid so I went inline when I built this system for both the fallponics and the chiller pump. The original system from PAH has the inline pump for the fallponics and I like that. I installed additional bulkheads in these systems for the chiller lines and I can shut the lid now, a lot cleaner look too.

I wondered about just clamping off that line out of the res and not worrying about the output line, thanks for confirming that for me, I will just do that and have a towel handy.

I did not know about the heat transfer thing. I'm going to have to look at replacing all my fallponic pumps now as time and money permit. I've got one system running sterile without a chiller right now and res temps are hitting 80F+ and I think much of that is coming from the pump.
Putting something reflective over the plant sites can help with temps caused by lights.

The submerged pump will raise temps for sure. Not a lot but not nothing.

If you are redoing plumbing anyhow consider putting in a bigger res if you have room. A 55 gal tote from Lowe’s is cheap and will double your water supply while making plenty of room to plumb it any way you want.