What's new

Rolling in for some fun.

SweetLeafGrow

Putting something reflective over the plant sites can help with temps caused by lights.

The submerged pump will raise temps for sure. Not a lot but not nothing.

If you are redoing plumbing anyhow consider putting in a bigger res if you have room. A 55 gal tote from Lowe’s is cheap and will double your water supply while making plenty of room to plumb it any way you want.
Thanks for this Moe, yea, I am thinking that the light is mostly responsible for this hike in temps in this system. I might have something on hand to cover the plant site.

The bigger res is a great idea. I have everything to rig it up except the tote, and now that I think about it, I have one that is about the size of yours, maybe a tad smaller that would work, but is in use atm, can figure that out easy. I'll have to take a closer look and see if this tote is suitable to accept the bulkheads I have on hand.

steamroller

Normal pumps [ non DC ] can add well over 4 degrees over room/water temperature to the res and system.
Since the transformer/power switcher is separated on the DC pump the heat at the pump is much less.
Watch the pump for leaks on the casing. I would not have recommended this pump for external use.
Even the double the price German ones leaked just like these in the same place on the impeller casing..
Let me know how this goes.

SweetLeafGrow

Well dang then, lol. It would make a good pump to throw in the bottom of my RO tank!

But for now, I might have to run it submerged and just deal with it. I looked it up and you are right, it's not designed to run inline. Should have done my homework.

Do you have a recommendation for an inline?

steamroller

Do you have a recommendation for an inline?
I feel bad! If I had known I wouldn't have recommended.
I never use cheap pumps and really consider the Jeboas to be the cheapest dependable pump I will use.
I may have a new Iwaki/ Blue line pump for you!
Karma is real. I got it new some years ago as back up with a marine setup all for free!!
Never used it ..
Let me pull it out and see what it is and what you think. :smoke out:

SweetLeafGrow

Don't feel bad bro, I should have looked at it more closely. I can always return it or use it in the ro tank as I mentioned. Honestly, I thought all those little pumps were designed to work both submersible and inline. I look at it and why, if it's not designed to work inline, do they have the fittings on the supply side? I guess perhaps for a filter of some sort, i dunno.

Live and learn bro, again don't feel bad for helping me! I'm super glad I asked before I installed it, I sorta had a weird feeling about it and figured I better ask the expert. Thanks again Steam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts